Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2016, 16:58   #24286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
nova launcher not working out?
The launcher is hardly an issue. I stuck with apex. Its the minor things like not being able mark messages read, or sheer own-mindedness of settings that you diligently change to your own preferences, and then they are gone.
Old 18th August 2016, 16:59   #24287
Senior - BHPian

Ah OK. Haven't tried their UIs. Good luck getting a good ROM.
Old 18th August 2016, 17:04   #24288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The launcher is hardly an issue. I stuck with apex. Its the minor things like not being able mark messages read, or sheer own-mindedness of settings that you diligently change to your own preferences, and then they are gone.
You can even change Messenger Apps. You can install something like Messenger by Google (which is used in Moto & Nexus devises) or any other messenger App and make it as your default. I have changed my contacts & calling Apps which I was not happy with.

Edit: You can try messaging app by Sony.

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 18th August 2016 at 17:11.
Old 18th August 2016, 17:39   #24289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
You can even change Messenger Apps. You can install something like Messenger by Google (which is used in Moto & Nexus devises) or any other messenger App and make it as your default. I have changed my contacts & calling Apps which I was not happy with.

Edit: You can try messaging app by Sony.
I use true messenger. I am hardly using any of MI's apps, apart from caller. Maybe its just a case of fear and the fugitive mind. I will flash it this weekend and see whats what.
Old 18th August 2016, 19:05   #24290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its the bloody MIUI. Unnecessarily complicated, it is. Stock android was max 2 clicks to any function. I am happy with the hardware, but need to rom it up with something stock.
Hi Mayankk,
I had the same issues with my mi4i and switched over to mokee. The updates have stopped after April (in my case) but I was not bored at all. Off late, I've been a little bored, so going to experiment using xposed.

Try out Mokee. They have a release version which should be stable. http://download.mokeedev.com/?device=kenzo

You need to get a code to unlock the bootloader of the Redmi Note 3. Do PM me if you need any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
nova launcher not working out?
Nova launcher only changes the interface.
Let me explain with an example:
1. Say you want to access battery info.
2. With a stock phone, it's as simple as settings->battery.
3. With MIUI: Find the security app and then go to battery.
That's an unnecessary complication.

There are some more like that and they're annoying.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 18th August 2016 at 19:06.
Old 18th August 2016, 19:09   #24291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

You need to get a code to unlock the bootloader of the Redmi Note 3. Do PM me if you need any help.
Wilco on the rest.
I've actually got the"approval"from xiaomi to unlock the bootloader. Geez!!
Does MI have something like flashtool for xperias?
Old 18th August 2016, 22:35   #24292
Senior - BHPian

What's wrong with recent launches by Chinese/Taiwanese manufacturers?

Zenfone 3 lauched at 22K with SD 625 ..top of the line Zenfone deluxe costs 50K to 63K
And Huawei launches P9 at 40K with 3GB/32GB config and Kirin 955 which is not a match to SD820.

What makes these manufacturers think that people will buy these devices at such exorbitant prices when they do not have even a fraction of the brand value of Samsung, forget Apple?
Old 18th August 2016, 23:39   #24293
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
I got the redmi note 3 about a month back, and I am really not happy with it.
Nothing about the phone itself though, apart from slight dissatisfaction with the camera.
Its the bloody MIUI. Unnecessarily complicated, it is. Stock android was max 2 clicks to any function. I am happy with the hardware, but need to rom it up with something stock.
Thankfully, there's an Xperia rom for this one available. Will see. Otherwise, I am ditching this for the XA.
Totally agree with this, MIUI is the most horrible iteration that gives Android a bad name. Bugs all around, can't run apps in the background and even with 3gb ram it struggles with ram management. I switched to a custom rom and everything was fine except the very slow charging speed so had to revert to MIUI.
The other option here is the Le 2, which also has plenty of horror reviews online. If anyone here has bought this phone, what do you think of it?
I am also very interested in the new 4k TVs by Leeco but again not sure about the display quality.
Old 19th August 2016, 02:40   #24294
Distinguished - BHPian

I was happy with MIUI plus Apex on my M4i, but you guys are making the sound microsoftian (do it our way or not at all) now, and that is off-putting.
Old 19th August 2016, 04:23   #24295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Totally agree with this, MIUI is the most horrible iteration that gives Android a bad name. Bugs all around, can't run apps in the background and even with 3gb ram it struggles with ram management. I switched to a custom rom and everything was fine except the very slow charging speed so had to revert to MIUI.
The other option here is the Le 2, which also has plenty of horror reviews online. If anyone here has bought this phone, what do you think of it?
I am also very interested in the new 4k TVs by Leeco but again not sure about the display quality.
Stay away from this brand "Le ECO". Worst product and after sales service ever. Don't believe what I say, go checkout their LeTv India forum. Owners are begging for simple errors to be resolved from last 6 months. I am one of the many victims.
Old 19th August 2016, 11:14   #24296
Senior - BHPian

Looking for an Android phone for my sister. Under 15K. Good Battery life, Camera and light OS preferred.

Inching towards Moto G+4th Gen. I see that 1+1 is still on sale and the 64 GB device is only 4K more.

Does it still make sense to go for it now or should I stick to Moto? She currently has a three year old Moto G.

Any other phone suggestions are also welcome.

Thank you!

Last edited by SchumiFan : 19th August 2016 at 11:16.
Old 19th August 2016, 11:36   #24297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Looking for an Android phone for my sister. Under 15K. Good Battery life, Camera and light OS preferred.

Inching towards Moto G+4th Gen. I see that 1+1 is still on sale and the 64 GB device is only 4K more.

Does it still make sense to go for it now or should I stick to Moto? She currently has a three year old Moto G.

Thank you!
Go with the Moto. You wouldn't regret that decision ever.

All day battery, turbo charging, nano coated electronics, a superb screen with minimal reflections, easy on the hands, and the hassle free nature of stock android.
Old 19th August 2016, 13:51   #24298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post

Thank you!
If you are fine with Xiaomi, i would recommend Redmi Note 3 - especially the 3GB/32GB model in Gold colour. This has the SD650 processor which is one of the best processors in the segment in-fact beating the previous generation flagship phones. 2 Cortex-A72 cores/4 Cortex-A53 cores with 3 GB RAM makes it a delightful Hardware, but it is slightly let down by not so great camera and MIUI. But still, it is the phone to beat in 12k segment.
Old 19th August 2016, 19:42   #24299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does MI have something like flashtool for xperias?
Hi mayankk,
I never used any custom flash tool. I just used the 15 second ADB, booted into fastboot and then flashed TWRP.

Also, have you used titanium backup to backup all your apps? If not, root the phone and make a backup of all your applications.

Do PM me if you need more help.
Old 20th August 2016, 10:27   #24300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
If you are fine with Xiaomi, i would recommend Redmi Note 3 - especially the 3GB/32GB model in Gold colour. 3 GB RAM makes it a delightful Hardware, but it is slightly let down by not so great camera and MIUI. But still, it is the phone to beat in 12k segment.
I thought of it but the recent comment on the MIUI and the fact that she was using a stock Android previously, makes me hesitant to go for it.

But will have it in consideration. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Go with the Moto. You wouldn't regret that decision ever.
Thank you Ji. One more question, Moto G4 Plus or Moto X Play. Play doesn't have fingerprint reader but has a bigger battery.

Both will get Android 7 and have similar performance I think (based on the 61X series of processors).

Thought of the Style as well but I am not sure if the battery life is as good as the others since it carries a QHD display and a smaller battery than the Play.

Most Viewed