Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 01:37   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I doubt the above suggestion. Charges for data usage include everything. Opening an attachment from the mail, going on messengers, using google map etc. everything add to the damage. Certain plans have specific limits on the total data usage, once that is crossed, its a killing by all means ! So, in paper it might look like saving on a smaller plan, but eventually it can overkill even the unlimited plan bill amount. Just my thinking.

What do you mean by buying it officially ? If you meant bought with bill and warranty, yes I have got it officially. Any provider can give you the unlock code on request. The request is placed to the network provider from you and its passed to the RIM in canada. RIM canada issues the unlock code to the network provider and its handed over to you, usually all within 12 days. There are also methods to unlock your phone by paying online through private agencies.
Err I did just mention that only usage charges are applied. The Mail sending and receive is unlimited. I am not 100% sure on this but I did read about it, never opted for it as I use the other functions way too much. Check the image I attached. You are just kind of repeating what I said .

Operators have to buy handsets in bulk amounts from RIM. They in turn give them a database of IMEI and MEP2 codes along with their handsets, its solely at the operator's discretion to hand out unlock codes. RIM has nothing to do with the unlocking requests. It really makes much more sense, why would RIM be bothered about millions of people worldwide. The above way is the much logical way and AFAIK what I said above holds true. And yes "Official" handset means a set purchased from either Reliance, Vodafone, Airtel & Tata at horrendous inflated prices. It makes no logical sense. Like I mentioned earlier they are really bad when the rainy day comes. Am speaking from personal experence on this
Old 8th January 2009, 09:16   #227
Senior - BHPian

Handset memory

Out of current models barring Bold & Storm, all BB handsets are 64MB models. Have a look at 'Total Memory' in Bytes for some of the handsets.

Curve 8320: 55,312,384 ==> 52.75 MB
Pearl 8120: 55,967,744 ==> 53.375 MB
8800: 62,914,560 ==> 60 MB

Where is rest of the memory?

These figures can be found out from Options-Status.
BB 4.5 OS does not show 'File Total' by default, one needs to press 'Alt+Shift+H' to get these figures.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:28   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Out of current models barring Bold & Storm, all BB handsets are 64MB models. Have a look at 'Total Memory' in Bytes for some of the handsets.

Curve 8320: 55,312,384 ==> 52.75 MB
Pearl 8120: 55,967,744 ==> 53.375 MB
8800: 62,914,560 ==> 60 MB

Where is rest of the memory?

These figures can be found out from Options-Status.
BB 4.5 OS does not show 'File Total' by default, one needs to press 'Alt+Shift+H' to get these figures.
The BB OS is designed in such a way that the amount of memory allocated to the handset for storing applications and all is fixed. You can store as much media as you want on the SD. Its quite sufficient I've noticed I use a lot of apps too, I had a problem with memory leaks only on the old pearl 8100. BTW just got the 8220 pearl its up in the classifieds section do take a look if interested.
Old 8th January 2009, 15:52   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Operators have to buy handsets in bulk amounts from RIM. They in turn give them a database of IMEI and MEP2 codes along with their handsets, its solely at the operator's discretion to hand out unlock codes. RIM has nothing to do with the unlocking requests. It really makes much more sense, why would RIM be bothered about millions of people worldwide.
May be RIM has nothing to do with unlock codes as you said ! But why a BB service desk has to give detailed explanation to me on the process of unlocking a handset ? I spoke to different people in 7070, all of them had the same story. Customer request for unlock code is placed to the network operator and then forwarded to the RIM in canada and it comes back to the customer in 12 days time. It also make sense to believe it because there are many online agencies who are doing the same unlocking exercise on payment of 15 to 20 dollars. All such agents contact RIM in canada for unlock codes, not a country based network operator. This is what I understood through a chat with such an agent. Another point is; how many BB customers request for unlock codes ? Less than 10%, probably. Others are happy with their carrier and stick to it forever or forced to stick to it by their corporate affiliations to a network. Anyway I will give the exact picture when I get mine done. Until then, its not of any concern.
Old 8th January 2009, 17:30   #230
BHPian

I called AT&T yesterday to unlock my bold and was given the unlock code within 3-4 minutes.
Old 8th January 2009, 18:00   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be RIM has nothing to do with unlock codes as you said ! But why a BB service desk has to give detailed explanation to me on the process of unlocking a handset ? I spoke to different people in 7070, all of them had the same story. Customer request for unlock code is placed to the network operator and then forwarded to the RIM in canada and it comes back to the customer in 12 days time. It also make sense to believe it because there are many online agencies who are doing the same unlocking exercise on payment of 15 to 20 dollars. All such agents contact RIM in canada for unlock codes, not a country based network operator. This is what I understood through a chat with such an agent. Another point is; how many BB customers request for unlock codes ? Less than 10%, probably. Others are happy with their carrier and stick to it forever or forced to stick to it by their corporate affiliations to a network. Anyway I will give the exact picture when I get mine done. Until then, its not of any concern.
Dont ever believe what the CS reps have to tell you in India, they are like programmed drones, ask them anything ourside the box and have fun seeing them flutter. And its quite well known that over 95% of people get their berries unlocked. Check other blackberry specific forums. And as for unlocking techniques they are quite varied I would rather not get into all that. Was just trying to stress buying a official warrenty Blackberry doesnt make much sense. Thats all.
Old 8th January 2009, 19:35   #232
Senior - BHPian

All agreed buddy, no arguements from my side, I just typed what I have been informed by the network provider, nothing else. You said its not worth the money to get the official warranty stuff, what other choice people in India have ? Hope you are not going to tell me, 'buy from the grey market'. I thought of buying that way, but throwing 25k or more for a decent BB handset, if anything goes wrong, you have nobody to call for help. Tell me if I am talking non-sense. Just trying to clear my ignorance ! Worst thing I felt after being a BB customer is the lack of information from the network providers, for everything you have to depend on forums or google !
Old 8th January 2009, 22:53   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All agreed buddy, no arguements from my side, I just typed what I have been informed by the network provider, nothing else. You said its not worth the money to get the official warranty stuff, what other choice people in India have ? Hope you are not going to tell me, 'buy from the grey market'. I thought of buying that way, but throwing 25k or more for a decent BB handset, if anything goes wrong, you have nobody to call for help. Tell me if I am talking non-sense. Just trying to clear my ignorance ! Worst thing I felt after being a BB customer is the lack of information from the network providers, for everything you have to depend on forums or google !
Please read my earlier post throughly once. I have wrote my experence about official blackberry warrenty claim incident which happened with me. I am not trying to argue with you. I am not going to gain or lose anything but after using these things for years and living with them in India there is this kinda "street smart" sense that I am trying to explain. Thanks! And like I said again operators in India leave a lot to be desired.
Old 8th January 2009, 23:13   #234
BHPian

Hey guys

Trying to get Opera Mini working on my BB Bold..Getting some Failed to connect to internet error. Can you guys tell me the TCP/ APN settings for Airtel ?
Old 9th January 2009, 07:16   #235
BHPian

@spiff

In the tcp option put apn as airtelgprs.com and leave the other 2 fields blank... Try it and give me ur feedback
Old 9th January 2009, 13:18   #236
aZa
Senior - BHPian

One of my friends has a 8820 unlocked and working properly from AT&T. He wants to sell it off here and get nokia qwerty phone. How much do you think he would get in the market? The phone is without camera/bills etc, but has all the boxed contents.
Old 9th January 2009, 14:42   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Hey guys
Trying to get Opera Mini working on my BB Bold..Getting some Failed to connect to internet error. Can you guys tell me the TCP/ APN settings for Airtel ?
None of the 3rd party software will function on the BB handsets unless you have found a way to hack the BB secure server. Dont expect any assistance from the tech support (7070), because "no 3rd party software sir" is recorded in everyone's brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
@spiff
In the tcp option put apn as airtelgprs.com and leave the other 2 fields blank... Try it and give me ur feedback
I have tried filling all the available and possible things (refered by friends, searched through forums etc.) but none worked. But if you find a way to get any 3rd party software running, please post it here, there are many who are looking for a solution.

The only way I could see the Opera browser running on my BB handset was after activating Mobile Office for a test of 2 days. Then cancelled MO and left the dream of any extras !
Old 9th January 2009, 15:11   #238
BHPian

Quote:
None of the 3rd party software will function on the BB handsets unless you have found a way to hack the BB secure server. Dont expect any assistance from the tech support (7070), because "no 3rd party software sir" is recorded in everyone's brain.
!
Have you got this to work with Vodafone now?
Old 9th January 2009, 15:30   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Have you got this to work with Vodafone now?
I just got my vodafone number active yesterday and its completing 24 hours now. To try vodafone BB services, first I need to get the handset unlock code from Airtel (which is promised by 12th Jan maximum). Until then my vodafone SIM is in a different handset. Support of 3rd party software issue might be common for all BB service providers in India. Let us hear from others if anyone is enjoying extra things than that. And reason for my shifting from Airtel to Vodafone is nothing to do with BB services, infact airtel SIM was giving too many issues (call failure, sim inactive, cross connection calls) which they could not resolve (complaint is open even today).
Old 9th January 2009, 15:55   #240
BHPian

@shajufx
i got a mail from airtel as i had sent a very sharp scathing email to both 121 airtel & 7070 blackberry assistance. I have been told that mobile office is active on my phone without any extra cost. I got an email from 121, here is the email.

Quote:
Dear Mr. Anil,

Thank you for contacting Airtel.

You have expressed your concern over the deactivation of Mobile Office service without consent on your Airtel number 986XXXXXXX.

We understand your concern and will work towards resolving the same.
The Mobile Office has already been activated with effect from 17 November 2008 and there is no monthly rental towards the same with unlimited free browsing.

Kindly send a message MO to 52567 (toll free) to receive the settings and it will be sent within 10 minutes. After receiving the settings, save it on your handset and then switch off / switch on your mobile to enjoy GPRS Mobile Office.

The speed of Mobile Office is 13 to 15 Kbps. You can download free contents from any site (if handset is compatible). Kindly be informed that you can connect your handset through Bluetooth, Infrared or Data cable to any PC or a Laptop and surf all the sites.

If you still face the same problem, we request you to kindly revert to us with the error message inorder to assist you better.

You can also contact our toll free customer care number 121 and press 1 ? 3 ? 3 for your queries regarding the GPRS facility.
For further assistance, mail us at 121@airtelindia.com.

We value your association with Airtel.
Warm Regards,
Rajini
Customer Care Executive
Bharti Airtel Limited.

---- Original Message ----

Hi,
My name is Anil Kalvani. My number is +91-XXXXX-XXXXX and have a Airtel BIS connection activated on my Blackberry Bold 9000. I have been facing problems using 3rd party applications like ngpay, etc. When i contacted them, they told me that Mobile Office will have to be active on my phone. I already had an unlimited Mobile Office plan for Rs. 200/- activated on my phone but was discontinued without my notice.
Please help me out so that I can use 3rd party applications with ease.
Thanking You.
Anil J. Kalvani
Now Ngpay is working perfectly fine, no issues at all. But still Youtube video's are not streaming. Still trying to figure that out. The things is that there are very few 3rd party apps for Blackberry specially for the newer models like the Bold.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks