Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 16:42   #271
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
As I said above, none of the GPRS, MO, EDGE functions will work on a BB handset without any of the BB plans activated. I tried it myself and contacted the support for all of those services but was clarified many times that BB plan is the basic for anything. But someone who has a BB plan do not need MO or GPRS or any such things too. A BB handset will display 'GSM' when its used as a normal phone, it changes to 'EDGE' when any BB plan is activated and shows 'GPRS' when its at a non-EDGE area while still being in any BB plan.

GPRS do not work on a BB handset as a standalone service like the Rs.99/- monthly plans on the other mobiles. I have tried it in vein. And the 3rd party software like Opera etc. are not supported even with a BB plan. Email softwares, IM apps etc. none of them are officially supported out of any BB plan, I have no idea if anyone can use them by cracking some code in the handset or doing some other short cuts. If there is a solution, I will be the first one to use it with excess joy and happiness. Even if someone can guide on how to use normal Yahoo Messenger on a wi-fi, I will be experiencing Joy ! I have googled too much, asked too many questions to lots of friends and collegues (BB addicts for many years) all over the world, none could help so far.

Please tell us how you can do that without a BB plan. It will be a method useful for many. I dont like to pay Rs.899/- a month if you can enlighten on how to use atleast GPRS on a BB handset.
Shaju EDGE/GPRS with MO package works and apps like the 3rd party email client and opera works (not talking about Airtle Live), i personally have configured in 2 handset last month. I put the TCP ip as airtelgprs.com and it works fine. Am 100% sure that the connection doesnt have BB since it was my Airtel Sim card

The handsets (88xx) didnt have wifi so couldnt try the configuration.
Old 31st January 2009, 22:06   #272
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu, are you really talking about BB handset or any other smartphone like E62/E71/i-phone etc ? I used MO on my old E62 for over a year, everything works on that regardless of 1st party or 3rd party software. On top of that, I used to connect my desktop too whenever broadband failed.

All whatever I typed in the previous post is about a 100% Blackberry Handset (RIM), not a blackberry enabled handset like E71 etc. If MO is possible on a BB, without subscribing to any BB plan, I would have done that long back. As of today, none of the networks are providing that on a BB handset (RIM). If they do, all my requests and attempts have gone to wrong guys in the support. Please clarify, the basic confusion still remains open here as the question arised by nishant.
Old 31st January 2009, 22:26   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jaggu, are you really talking about BB handset or any other smartphone like E62/E71/i-phone etc ?
Two handsets, Blackberry 88 Series set from UK (T mobile originally, unlocked set)

Why do you think i posted earlier that BB is not fully worth it without BB connect as in cant use any inbuilt internet app without BB connect, though 3rd party apps works, wont give you the full potential.

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st January 2009 at 22:29.
Old 31st January 2009, 23:39   #274
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Planning to buy Blackberry but i have few confusions.

1) BIS and BB plan both same ?

2) On Vodafone website there is only one plan available.
( i.e.Blackberry prosumer Service having monthly rental of 1099 rs and unlimited usage.)
Only one plan available from vodafone ?

3) Is it possible to sync emails between Outlook and BB ?

4) When data connection is active on BB will i get calls ? ( in E71 with Vodafone mobile connect when data connection active sometimes i get missed call alerts )

5) What is the data charges on national roaming ? or is it included in this plan ?

6) What is Unlocked and Locked BBs ?

Have few more confusions but later..

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

Last edited by Mugen_Power : 31st January 2009 at 23:44.
Old 31st January 2009, 23:57   #275
Senior - BHPian

I was surfing through Vodafone india website and found that they provide Blackberry Internet service for Nokia phones but they havent mentioned E71 in list.

Did anyone using or used Blackberry internet service on their Nokia phone ?

There is also option of Blackberry enterprise solution unlimited plan @ 899 per month.

Any comments ?
Old 1st February 2009, 03:40   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
I was surfing through Vodafone india website and found that they provide Blackberry Internet service for Nokia phones but they havent mentioned E71 in list.

There is also option of Blackberry enterprise solution unlimited plan @ 899 per month.

Any comments ?
Dont get that! Blackberry Internet Service on Nokia phone will only get you email access and that too blackberry connect for nokia is absolute crap! you will not be able to browse the websites or anything with Vodafone.

I had the similar problem where I used E90 after breaking my BB, I installed BB Connect and I couldnt get emails but my browsers wouldnt work so I called Vodafone and they asked me to get the GPRS plan SEPARATELY!!

Hence I got another sim card with Airtel which offered unlimited GPRS plan for free with BB and now I am using BB Bold with GPRS gateway and all apps work absolutely fine!

Get BB service with Vodafone "ONLY" if you have a BB handset, other option would be get the 499/699 plan with them with limited bandwidth and install SEVEN mail client which syncs well with Exchange/Domino
Old 1st February 2009, 08:32   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I said above, none of the GPRS, MO, EDGE functions will work on a BB handset without any of the BB plans activated. I tried it myself and contacted the support for all of those services but was clarified many times that BB plan is the basic for anything. But someone who has a BB plan do not need MO or GPRS or any such things too. A BB handset will display 'GSM' when its used as a normal phone, it changes to 'EDGE' when any BB plan is activated and shows 'GPRS' when its at a non-EDGE area while still being in any BB plan.

GPRS do not work on a BB handset as a standalone service like the Rs.99/- monthly plans on the other mobiles. I have tried it in vein. And the 3rd party software like Opera etc. are not supported even with a BB plan. Email softwares, IM apps etc. none of them are officially supported out of any BB plan, I have no idea if anyone can use them by cracking some code in the handset or doing some other short cuts. If there is a solution, I will be the first one to use it with excess joy and happiness. Even if someone can guide on how to use normal Yahoo Messenger on a wi-fi, I will be experiencing Joy ! I have googled too much, asked too many questions to lots of friends and collegues (BB addicts for many years) all over the world, none could help so far.

Please tell us how you can do that without a BB plan. It will be a method useful for many. I dont like to pay Rs.899/- a month if you can enlighten on how to use atleast GPRS on a BB handset.
Go to Menu > Options > Advanced Options > TCP > (Input your settings there) and it will work fine on any Blackberry.

Quote:
Guys,

Planning to buy Blackberry but i have few confusions.

1) BIS and BB plan both same ?

2) On Vodafone website there is only one plan available.
( i.e.Blackberry prosumer Service having monthly rental of 1099 rs and unlimited usage.)
Only one plan available from vodafone ?

3) Is it possible to sync emails between Outlook and BB ?

4) When data connection is active on BB will i get calls ? ( in E71 with Vodafone mobile connect when data connection active sometimes i get missed call alerts )

5) What is the data charges on national roaming ? or is it included in this plan ?

6) What is Unlocked and Locked BBs ?

Have few more confusions but later..

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
BIS is the Blackberry Internet service and is the consumer plan, BES is the Enterprise plan which is used by corporates with their own servers.

Dont worry about the website when you sign up they will offer you a Magical 899 plan with all above features.

Its possible to sync emails from where outlook syncs its own.

Only when 3G arrives currently over EDGE/GPRS connection stays on hold during calls but on EVDO/UTMS it wont happen and you can do both at the same time.

Quote:

Any comments ?
I would strongly advice you to go through the entire thread and not to get any other Handset if you are planning on using BIS. Its much more then emails there is Sat Nav, All the IM's, Facebook etc etc.
Old 2nd February 2009, 00:08   #278
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys.

I called up vodafone and customer care representative told that if you Activate BIS there is no need to get GPRS plan.

I have decided that i will not activate BB Connect on Nokia phones but will buy Blackberry handset.

Will i able to download emails from our company's pop email account with BIS service?

What is the data charges on National roaming?

How can i sync Outlook and BB?

Can i get all Outlook emails on BB?
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:50   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys.

I called up vodafone and customer care representative told that if you Activate BIS there is no need to get GPRS plan.

I have decided that i will not activate BB Connect on Nokia phones but will buy Blackberry handset.

Will i able to download emails from our company's pop email account with BIS service?

What is the data charges on National roaming?

How can i sync Outlook and BB?

Can i get all Outlook emails on BB?
Congratulations you made a very wise decision, and trust me if you dont fall in love with your new berry I will be more then happy to buy it off you .

There are no roaming charges whatsoever so enjoy GPS navigation and chatting on google talk while travelling bored. I infact used to precache maps and then check my position while on a plane! Its that cool.

You can sync any POP IMAP etc mail with the BB.

Get the phone then ill point you towards keeping your outlook and BB synced up!
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:15   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Congratulations you made a very wise decision, and trust me if you dont fall in love with your new berry I will be more then happy to buy it off you .

There are no roaming charges whatsoever so enjoy GPS navigation and chatting on google talk while travelling bored. I infact used to precache maps and then check my position while on a plane! Its that cool.

You can sync any POP IMAP etc mail with the BB.

Get the phone then ill point you towards keeping your outlook and BB synced up!
Quick,

Let me know if you have BB Bold for sale

Do you have any idea about international roaming ?

How many POP / IMAP Id can i setup in BB ?

Cheers..
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:31   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Hey quickdraw

what GPS/maps app do you use for BB ?
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:54   #282
Senior - BHPian

@ Spiff,

Which Blackberry do you have?
Old 3rd February 2009, 00:46   #283
BHPian

@Mugen_Power : I have a BB Bold
Old 3rd February 2009, 00:46   #284
Senior - BHPian

@ Mugan : You can set up 10 seperate push email accounts on the BB.

I have a decent official locked vodafone set for sale for 23. I would rate it 7/10 no scratches/dings.

International data roaming charges will kill you please avoid at any cost!

@Spiff : I use MapMyIndia for navigation and Google Maps for generic use.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:55   #285
Senior - BHPian

quickdraw, how do you find the vodafone BB support ? Do they have the same plan of airtel for 899/- unlimited ? Vodafone website doesnt mention anything of 899/-, but 1099/- I think. When I spoke to the support, they mentioned same too, thats a difference of 200/ for the same plan between airtel and vodafone. You mentioned above that when one subscribes, they offer it as 899/-. I am confused with the different figures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks