Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 18:20   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I dont mind going for the Basic BIS 249 plan.But I have heard horror stories that bills ramp up to unbelievable amounts by the end of the month. Enough to kill a man with a weak heart. True stuff?

On another note, is it possible to 'time' the BIS service? i.e. can I set a timer so that BIS gets activated lets say, between 2000-0800 hrs every day? I assume that by doing so, I would be able to curtail the usage (charges), fulfill my needs and enjoy BB services and handsets as well. Please let me know if such a thing is possible.
Take a look at the screenshots I have posted before. I used the unlimited plan so the Vodafone funda is that they used to charge me usage like a limited plan and then discount all of it in the bill marking it as the "Unlimited plan" so I used to get bills saying from 9000 Rupees to 16000 rupees. (I am a heavy user). So all in all it depends on your usage. You can control your usage very effectively if you want to.

Go to menu > Wireless Options > Mobile Network Options > Turn the data service off!!

So this will shut off the BIS completely but everything else will work normally. There is no automatic way of doing this AFAIK. But it seems to perfectly achieve what you are trying to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Special thanks to quickdraw who assisted me in this problem.
Google maps now works perfectly but after I did some trial and error.

After opening BB Maps it endlessly says "searching for satellites" and it doesn't seem to get a lock at all. Once I tried opening BB Maps, immediately hit the HangUp button and launched Google maps. And voila! Google maps got the satellite lock within 30 seconds. And the blue dot wasn't surrounded by any circle and I was shown the exact location.
Glad to know I could help, the 8830 is a tough little nugget. I am sure you are having the low volume ring tone problem with it as well? Its another common issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Hey Nishant, first of all activating and deactivating the BB service itself is in no time-control of the customer (atleast airtel), so I doubt if you have a specific time based control over it on a daily basis ! We are far from those days to control everything on our own. I wish I could activate the unlimited BB services on my phone, but strictly pay as I use, and only when I use (no daily damage nor fixed monthly rent). I dont mind paying Rs.5/- per day for this service. If I am out of state, travelling, then let them charge Rs.10/- per day ! Any takers ?
They dont charge any extra if you are out of state but within the country. And shaju come to think of it 900 bucks for unlimited in India is not bad at all compared to 35~40$ in the USA but that comes with the handset and added minutes and texts. In India the funda is quite different. But 900 is really not bad for someone who really uses the service. 500 Rs per month would make it absolutely perfect to pass up. But (get the point?)
Old 24th February 2009, 18:49   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
900 bucks for unlimited in India is not bad at all compared to 35~40$ in the USA but that comes with the handset and added minutes and texts. In India the funda is quite different. But 900 is really not bad for someone who really uses the service. 500 Rs per month would make it absolutely perfect to pass up.
But remember buddy, americans buy the handset for half of indian price, although it is locked to respective networks. Also they use most of the features to its maximum. Hope you know the tons of information you can get through just the BB map alone in the US. You can even find out the street side 'hot-dog' counters on the maps. Here we are paying for nothing, a service which can not be even activated without the service team, a bunch of illiterates who cant even understand what you want (how many towers we might have that support EDGE ?). So, ideally I would pay Rs.300 a month !

Last edited by shajufx : 24th February 2009 at 18:52.
Old 24th February 2009, 20:13   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But remember buddy, americans buy the handset for half of indian price, although it is locked to respective networks. Also they use most of the features to its maximum. Hope you know the tons of information you can get through just the BB map alone in the US. You can even find out the street side 'hot-dog' counters on the maps. Here we are paying for nothing, a service which can not be even activated without the service team, a bunch of illiterates who cant even understand what you want (how many towers we might have that support EDGE ?). So, ideally I would pay Rs.300 a month !
No Shaju it isnt like that. The Handset is subsidized I agree but tell me if Vodafone launches iPhone for 5000 Rupees and you have to have monthly plan of 5000 Rupees tell me how many genuine people will take up on it and how many people will not pay a single bill?

Yanks in general are much dumber trust me I am not trying to get racist here but a person buying a BB here would be much more streetsmart. Over there I've seen BB's are just mobile phones that do email. They have no idea almost every phone now-a-days can do email. As for EDGE coverage its absoulte. I have never seen anywhere that I've travelled and the EDGE data not to exist and I use the BB on a OtterBox on the bike for Navigation and have been places. Trust me its worth it if you can even use 20% of the features.
Old 24th February 2009, 21:41   #394
Senior - BHPian

For a corporate buyer, there is no worry about cost of handset nor the monthly bill be it US or India. Its anyway free, but it helps them to perform better in their career. Issues are mostly for individual users like me or you ! I tend to compare BB rent to my home broadband rent, its funny I know, but as long as I spent more time on a broadband than on a BB handset, I cant help but compare. Its just the hope that things will be affordable to anyone very soon.

Imagine the price of mobile handsets just 10 years back ? I paid around 12k for a Nokia handset which is not even available in the market right now, if it is there, it would sell for less than Rs.1500 now. Home broadband was very expensive earlier, now there are lot of plans within Rs.1000/-. Just look at the mobile call rates few years back ? Reliance has revolutionized the mobile in India with their Rs.500/- handset and Rs.1/- call rate. Competition is good for us, atleast it improves quality and affordablity !

I love Blackberries ! The day I started using a BB handset, I cant think of switching back to any other, be it with or without a BB plan. Its addictive and top-class.
Old 24th February 2009, 23:19   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Rasputin, How much you paid buddy ? I dont mind exchanging my Pearl 8120 with you which is unlocked officially. I too had bought from Mobilestore with the sales guy claiming that its an unlocked handset. Later I realised its locked to airtel, since I was using airtel, I didnt go back for unlock code, but recently I got it officially done by airtel itself before I moved to vodafone. Let me know if you are interested !

Thanks Pal....But i simple adore the cute device and thinking of using it on Vodafone network temporarily( until I get the unlock code).

Have another question. i was told by the Vodafone sales guy that if one opts for a BB Enterprise service with Vodafone ,phone IMEI number will get registered in Vodafone BB server and there are no procedures to release it. This would eventually make it impossible to go to any other BB service provider with the same phone.Is this true
Old 25th February 2009, 02:41   #396
Senior - BHPian

@ Shaju : Maybe our dreams will be fulfilled soon!

@Rasputin : Bakwaas!!
Old 25th February 2009, 13:30   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
phone IMEI number will get registered in Vodafone BB server and there are no procedures to release it. This would eventually make it impossible to go to any other BB service provider with the same phone.Is this true
Support team might give you lot of information which may not even exist. So dont worry about them, they are a bunch of idiots. Here on this forum, you might find better and reliable information than anywhere else. IMEI number will get registered to any server you are using the BB service. But as soon as you cancel the plan, it comes to no use to them. 'Not able to use another service provider' comes to picture if your handset is locked to vodafone or any other. So you need to get the unlock code, details of my unlocking precedure from airtel is explained well in detail in the previous pages.
Old 25th February 2009, 14:20   #398
Senior - BHPian

Those fools must be talking about the PIN. Wont discuss it here to confuse you further. Basically that just speak nonsense.

@Shaju : Got the 899?

@all : Is it just me or classifieds section is not showing/allowing posts?
Old 25th February 2009, 14:51   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Me too. Cant see posts/make posts in Classifieds. Tried both Firefox and IE, but the same result. Whats the problem guys?
Old 25th February 2009, 15:40   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Me too. Cant see posts/make posts in Classifieds. Tried both Firefox and IE, but the same result. Whats the problem guys?
Quickdraw and Nishant,

GTO was mentioning (in the suggestions thread) about moving to a different market place, so may be the upgrade is happening. That's why you don't see the posts/comments.
Old 25th February 2009, 15:44   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Shaju : Got the 899?
They are not giving me that plan, I am tired of bargaining. They say, as an individual customer, I cant have anything other than Rs.1099/- plan.

Quote:
I just posted a new ad in the classifieds with picture. Didnt find any issue.
Old 25th February 2009, 21:30   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are not giving me that plan, I am tired of bargaining. They say, as an individual customer, I cant have anything other than Rs.1099/- plan.

I just posted a new ad in the classifieds with picture. Didnt find any issue.
Dude chill, ill get the activation message for you. Just send that and it will get activated to no need to haggle with them. But you owe me a drink in that case

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Quickdraw and Nishant,

GTO was mentioning (in the suggestions thread) about moving to a different market place, so may be the upgrade is happening. That's why you don't see the posts/comments.
Hmm I thought as much.
Old 25th February 2009, 21:40   #403
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, avoid the word 'drink' or related stuff in your posts, moderators are with eagle-eyes, dont invite an infraction ! Thats one thing I like best about this forum, its always kept clean, whatever subject it is. I have posted in many international forums (different fields), but quit most of them due to the excess abusive words and ego-fights.

I will send an sms and check how it goes. Will update you.
Old 25th February 2009, 23:09   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude chill, ill get the activation message for you. Just send that and it will get activated to no need to haggle with them.
I spoke to another BB support guy at Vodafone, I should thank my lucky stars for not sending the sms and activating !

899 unlimited plan can be activated by sending an sms of 'ACT BBEP' to 111. Thats a special plan mix of Enterprise and Prosumer (BBEP). Now here is the real problem. Vodafone BB rates are not pro-rata basis (Airtel is pro-rata). Vodafone will charge you 899/- as soon as the plan is activated, they dont care if you use it for 2 days or 30 days, your 899/- is gone with the wind !! I wanted to test the service for 5 days and cancel it, so that I can use it when I am travelling next month. Now that testing hope is gone, because I will lose 899/- for 5 days. What do I say ?

If anyone could give some idea about this, it would be really helpful.
Old 26th February 2009, 00:26   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buddy, avoid the word 'drink' or related stuff in your posts, moderators are with eagle-eyes, dont invite an infraction ! Thats one thing I like best about this forum, its always kept clean, whatever subject it is. I have posted in many international forums (different fields), but quit most of them due to the excess abusive words and ego-fights.

I will send an sms and check how it goes. Will update you.
Oh yes, you are right. I will keep shut from now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks