Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2008, 01:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
I am confused here, 1 year warranty on software ? and 6 m for the handset ? Its a blackberry right ?

Second question - is the software warranty independent of the handset it was sold with ? or you can install the application to another phone and use it there & the warranty will remain for the balance of one year ?

Do advice.

regards

M M
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
A point which I didnt notice !! I have an airtel locked BB pearl with a 1 year warranty for the handset & the software whatever comes as default factory stuff. So, I have no clue how a grey market can seperate warranty of handset and software with different time frames ! More gyan on this from nishant is appreciated !
Even I was quite amused to read the same statement from the dealer when I got the quote from him. I guess for a newbie/unsuspecting customer, he can pass off the phone by stating "1 year warranty". Having warranty on software does not make sense when it is available as a free download online.

(Or probably the software download is restricted to network-locked phones? I am not sure as I have not used BB).

On another note, it DOES make some sense, because Nokia Care Center charges Rs 300 or so for "software upgrade/re-install" which you can easily do by downloading the relevant software online.
Old 22nd September 2008, 23:06   #47
BHPian

Hi Friends !

FYI: emoze.com provides free pushmail service (similar to Blackberry). You can download the client on your GPRS enabled cellphone and configure it yourself.
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi Monk, have you used it ? Something free will always have some binding or hidden stuff either as a marketing or promotional method. It lists most handsets except blackberry !
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:04   #49
BHPian

@Sahjufx

Yes, I have been using it for last couple of months. Absolutely no problems - no promotional nuisance. May be they want to earn by providing backend solutions to telecom companies. However, as a precaution I have not yet configured my confidential official e-mail on it.
The only little glitch that I have observed is that the connection to their server breaks at times and then takes a while to re-connect.
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

I have a Nokia E50 and use the Email App of the phone to check my mails while am travelling. For my browsing I use the Opera Mini(very cute). Between these two I am able to satisfy all my online requirements, since the handset has Mobile Office I can read doc, xls & pdf files as well. I have opted for the 499 package from Vodafone which suffices my needs. Incidentally using Hutch Access I connect my laptop as well when travelling
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Happy that you are enjoying the Mobile Office service and Nokia E series will give you the best experience too ! I used the maximum of Mobile Office on my previous E62 with a regular usage of net on desktop too, due to the usual bsnl line troubles in this area.

I am yet a newbie on blackberry services to compare and review Mobile office/GPRS/BB services on a professional level. Will do that as soon as I get more details.
Old 26th September 2008, 09:45   #52
BHPian

Device Diagnostic

Device Diagnostic for self testing hardware:
New RIM device diagnostic for self-testing hardware | BlackBerryNews.com
Use at own risk, helps you test all hardware fuctions to make sure nothing is faulty/out of sync etc...
Old 30th September 2008, 20:08   #53

My friend got one of those Amex platinum cards where they put your airtel number on premium customer service list. No IVR, no hold etc first two rings you goto a representative........
Old 1st October 2008, 12:59   #54
BHPian

MODS: Duplicate post. Please delete

Last edited by Raja : 1st October 2008 at 13:01.
Old 1st October 2008, 13:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeLLe View Post
My friend got one of those Amex platinum cards where they put your airtel number on premium customer service list. No IVR, no hold etc first two rings you goto a representative........
How is that relevant to BB and/or services?
(Posted in wrong thread?)
Old 1st October 2008, 14:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

@shajufx, just a question on Pearl keypad. I understand it has 2 letters per key format. How easy is it to type vis-a-vis a full QWERTY keypad?

I heard that BB has some software function (similar to T9/predictive text input) in the Pearl which helps you manage the typing part easily. Please elaborate.
Old 1st October 2008, 14:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeLLe View Post
Are you talking about Platinum cards ? Airtel services ? Or BB services ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
@shajufx, just a question on Pearl keypad. I understand it has 2 letters per key format. How easy is it to type vis-a-vis a full QWERTY keypad? I heard that BB has some software function (similar to T9/predictive text input) in the Pearl which helps you manage the typing part easily. Please elaborate.
I used a qwerty keypad on E62 before upgrading to Pearl. Its just matter of few messaging, you will find it easier than qwerty; reason 1) Qwerty keyboard may not come with built-in words, you have to type every letter. 2) Qwerty keyboard can never be used with single hand, you need to support the broader phone body first, then use your both thumbs to type in letters. 3) Pearl has a technology called "sure-type". So you can use single hand and type in long emails without issues. Keys are in the same order of a computer keyboard, but 2 letters on 1 button. Long words like 'congratulations' etc. just type congra rest will appear as choices below.

You have many choices while typing. You can create or delete your own words and add into the dictionary (words like bengaluru, chandrababu, nishantgandhi etc. that are not in any dictionaries).

So overall I find it not only better, but time saving, convenient use of just one hand, unlimited choice of local words and slangs creation etc.
Old 1st October 2008, 22:06   #58
Senior - BHPian

First Bill Analysis of BB service !

My bill date is 26th of every month. I have activated BB service from 8th of September. My usage analysis for 17 days follows. There are certain questions to the other users, which in my opinion Airtel is not able to give satisfactory answers !

For easy understanding, plan is Rs.899/- Unlimited (Prosumer plan). My total usage is 14472 KB in 17 days, that is 14.133 MB (based on the 1 kilobyte = 1024 Bytes calculation).

Suppose I had opted for the Rs.499/- plan ( 500 KB free and then .50 paisa per KB), my bill could have been 14472 KB - 500 KB (free) = 13972 KB X .50 paisa = Rs.6986/- Now what I need to know is; is there anything wrong with the calculations here ? If its correct, imagine the kind of money one will be paying ? Thats just 17 days of moderate usage. What about 30 days in the same way ? It would be above 15k easily.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, corrections on the above calculations. Airtel billing people goes nuts when I ask these figures and billing details. Three times (different days) they said, their system is down, therefore they cant access answer to my queiry ! What a customer service !
Old 2nd October 2008, 11:28   #59
Team-BHP Support

I used more than 95 MB in 30 days

499 plan is 500KB only!! Mob Office provides 100 MB for 499 Rs!! Let me check my old bills will clarify this by evening.

EDIT: I checked its 100 MB free usage with Rs 399 Mobile office. Had a bill here at home

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd October 2008 at 11:33.
Old 2nd October 2008, 11:42   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using Blackberry since it was introduced in India. I am now using my 5th different model.

I can tell you that these half QWERTY keyboards take a little getting used to, but they are quite good and pretty intuitive. But still there is nothing quite like a full QWERTY. Nothing.

Recently I started looking at my BB bills after some members PMed me to check. I use the 899/- plan and while in India it is cool, my average bill comes to between 7000/- and 8000/- (Take away the international calls and it's about 1600/- to 1800/-)
I got screwed this time in Germany. (I may have been getting screwed all the time I travel, I just never saw my bill)

This time in Germany I hardly used my phone. I was using a Nokia 1110 with a German pre-paid SIM card (thanks to TheOne®) and was using my BB mostly for emails.
I was charged a hefty 4800/- for Blackberry usage in Germany. Add to that 16 bucks per sms and some calls, my roaming was about 15000/- (!!) WITHOUT using my phone!

One tip: I am an airtel subscriber. While in Germany my phone switches between E-Plus and T-mobile. The BB usage charges on T-mobile were half as much as E-Plus which often charged my Rs.34/- per session (2 or 3 emails answered and recd) and there were many sessions in a day.

Now I am feeling bad about my bill. lol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks