Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2016, 10:52   #1801
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Good to hear that. How's the low light performance? I dreaded anything above ISO 400 from my E500. I guess Olympus has got past that.
The low light problem became history once OMD was launched. I am not at all worried about low light, I often shoot at ISO1600 without any issue, and there are lots of fast lenses.
Old 14th October 2016, 12:46   #1802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The low light problem became history once OMD was launched. I am not at all worried about low light, I often shoot at ISO1600 without any issue, and there are lots of fast lenses.
Cool, that along with the in built stabilization should give you brilliant low shutter speed shots. Another friend who switched to Canon 70D from E500 said he was missing "Olympus Colors".

Is the EVF as good as looking at the real thing... or is it like looking at a display?
Old 14th October 2016, 15:31   #1803
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is the EVF as good as looking at the real thing... or is it like looking at a display?
EVF can never be same as OVF. Here is a low light pic taken at iso1600. The image is at full resolution.
Old 27th October 2016, 09:15   #1804
BHPian

Picked up the Olymnpus 12-40mm f2.8 a week ago.. Superb lens! Here's a pic taken with the OMD E-M5 Mark II hand held in low light wide open at 1000ISO
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-navi0597_zpszdnrsp3a.jpg  

Old 27th October 2016, 12:23   #1805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Picked up the Olymnpus 12-40mm f2.8 a week ago.. Superb lens!

Agree, I love that lens and I also have its larger sibling the 40-150mm. That's all I carry these days.
Jeroen
Old 5th November 2016, 22:55   #1806
Distinguished - BHPian

Today I attended an Olympus promotional demo of their new camera E-M1 Mark II at Kamera-Express in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.

Of course an Olympus rep talking about the new camera, which by the way is very impressive. But more importantly also a professional photographer, Brendan de Clerg, who talks about his work. See http://www.brendandeclercq.com

Brendan is also an Olympus ambassador. Was interesting to hear that the camera he uses most is the Pen F with the 25mm lens.

The new E-M1 Mark II is a very impressive bit of kit. Especially if you’re into sports and nature photography this camera will easily outperform anything on the market today and that includes full from DSLR from Cannon and Nikon as well.

121 punten ‘All Cross’-type – Phase - detection
– 18 fps with C-AF
– 60 fps with S-AF

If you use the E-M1 Mark II in combination with the stabilised lenses you can shoot up to 1.5 seconds shutter time from the hand! That is just unbelievable.

All this comes at a hefty price though, body alone retails for Euro 1999,--. I’m not too bothered as my E-M5 mark II will keep me going for years to come. But still nice to see these new developments.

This coming week the same shop organises a Hasselblad X1D workshop. Yours truly will be attending, of course! NOT buying, just attending!

Jeroen
Old 6th November 2016, 13:36   #1807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Of course an Olympus rep talking about the new camera, which by the way is very impressive. But more importantly also a professional photographer, Brendan de Clerg, who talks about his work. See
A lot of 'ambassadors' did speak about Oly E5 when it came out. I was about to get one. I somehow lost faith in Oly when they ditched us 4/3 users. I'm the forgive, but never forget type.
Old 6th November 2016, 16:32   #1808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A lot of 'ambassadors' did speak about Oly E5 when it came out. I was about to get one. I somehow lost faith in Oly when they ditched us 4/3 users. I'm the forgive, but never forget type.

Not sure what you are referring to. The E5 got released in 2012 and was as far as I can tell a real break through for 4/3 camera's. I got one and it got me hooked on 4/3. Haven't looked back since. But then again I never owned a DSLR only SLR
Old 6th November 2016, 16:44   #1809
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not sure what you are referring to. The E5 got released in 2012 and was as far as I can tell a real break through for 4/3 camera's. I got one and it got me hooked on 4/3. Haven't looked back since. But then again I never owned a DSLR only SLR
He is referring to the Olympus DSLR E5, not mirrorless OMD EM5.

Quote:
I am not sure what you are complaining about. I had the E3 with many high grade lenses. But it was clear that Olympus will never break the dSLR monopoly of Canon and Nikon. So they did a genius move by taking the initiative in mirrorless. In 2012 I sold all my 4/3 gear and swiched to m4/3. I am glad they ditched 4/3 and developed m4/3 and clinched the leadership in mirrorless world.
Old 6th November 2016, 18:46   #1810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He is referring to the Olympus DSLR E5, not mirrorless OMD EM5.
Well, this guy Brandon had been an Olympus ambassador since 2008, so he managed to get over it!

Quote:
I am not sure what you are complaining about. I had the E3 with many high grade lenses. But it was clear that Olympus will never break the dSLR monopoly of Canon and Nikon. So they did a genius move by taking the initiative in mirrorless. In 2012 I sold all my 4/3 gear and swiched to m4/3. I am glad they ditched 4/3 and developed m4/3 and clinched the leadership in mirrorless world.
At the end of the day, nobody can tell by looking at a photograph which/what camera was used!

Time to go and shoot some photographs, three different camera’s and lenses. All B&W Autumn
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-pb051819.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-pb051823.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-pb051825.jpg  

Old 6th November 2016, 20:57   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Time to go and shoot some photographs, three different camera’s and lenses. All B&W Autumn
The first shot is beautiful. The contrast between the background and the foreground, and the leading lines of the bridge make the shot special.

Btw, I would take that comment about the Olympus beating ANY Canikon for sports or nature/wildlife with a pinch of salt.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/773453...ing-experience
"While the E-M1 II's big claim to fame is its advanced autofocus system, the Olympus event in Iceland was essentially all landscape photography. Our journey included a lot of waterfalls and geysers, plus some shooting around Reykjavik, but fast-moving subjects were scarce, so I can't comment on how well that part of the AF system works. What I can say is that in single AF mode the Mark II was both responsive and accurate, though it did miss focus (in both front and back directions) on a few occasions with the 12-100 and 300mm lenses."

There is more to action shooting than FPS. Essentially Olympus is claiming that it is as good as a 1DX Mk2 or D5 or 7D Mk2 or D500 in action shooting. Which I really, really doubt :-) Forget about the Canikon flagships. The similarly priced D500 or 7D Mk2 would beat it for action shooting. Besides, does Olympus even have a proper long lens range apart from that 300 mm f/4? Anyway, action shooting means a big kit, which sort of negates the purpose of a super portable mirrorless system in the first place.

I keep saying, it is time to go mirrorless for everything apart from sports and wildlife.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 6th November 2016 at 21:10.
Old 6th November 2016, 22:06   #1812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The first shot is beautiful. The contrast between the background and the foreground, and the leading lines of the bridge make the shot special.

Btw, I would take that comment about the Olympus beating ANY Canikon for sports or nature/wildlife with a pinch of salt. .
Thanks, Olympus Pen F with the 17mm/1.2 lens

I’ve seen and done the FFS tests myself during the demo and it is really good, most likely better than anything on the market currently. But I don’t care really as I have yet to use my camera in more then single shot mode.

It will be years before I will buy a new body, a new lens maybe.

Jeroen
Old 7th November 2016, 08:38   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
At the end of the day, nobody can tell by looking at a photograph which/what camera was used!
Well, i bank heavily upon the camera. That tells a lot about my skills.
The Oly frustration came from having to spend 50k in an E500 Twin Lens Kit (huge compared to what i was earning) and learning that 4/3 has hit a dead end with E5. Now no money for mirror or mirror-less either. Clearly i didn't do my homework and didn't know what i was getting into.
Having said that, i love the Oly colors.

Last edited by Torqy : 7th November 2016 at 09:02.
Old 7th November 2016, 11:43   #1814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Oly frustration came from having to spend 50k in an E500 Twin Lens Kit (huge compared to what i was earning) and learning that 4/3 has hit a dead end with E5. Now no money for mirror or mirror-less either. Clearly i didn't do my homework and didn't know what i was getting into.
Having said that, i love the Oly colors.
As a suggestion, maybe you should spend more time using your current kit then worrying about what your next piece of kit might be.

If Olympus goes bust today and doesn’t produce a single bit of photographic equipment ever, I’ll still be very happily shooting for years to come with the kit I have.

Jeroen
Old 7th November 2016, 12:02   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
As a suggestion, maybe you should spend more time using your current kit then worrying about what your next piece of kit might be.
True that. And there's no "next" in the near future either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks