Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 17:47   #1786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Hey Nilanjan,

Let me rephrase the below from
Quote:
super pro making huge money where not only timing is critical, speed, ease and overall lens availability also makes sense

to

Pro or non Pro but we are talking about speed, flexibility, ability and more than anything availability. To me the mirrorless currently are two generations behind to catch up on that availability bracket. I have used 1D series and i felt the non 1d series were slow. Then after using mirrorless felt even the rebel series fast when it comes to availability
Old 23rd May 2016, 07:59   #1787
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Pro or non Pro but we are talking about speed, flexibility, ability and more than anything availability. To me the mirrorless currently are two generations behind to catch up on that availability bracket.
The new Olympus 300mm just won the most prestigious lens of the year award. Keep in mind this is not under mirrorless category. It was chosen as the best lens of the year across all dSLR and mirrorless category.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/new...0520awarde.jsp
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:15   #1788
BHPian

After long research I have shortlisted Sony A5000 as upgrade from my current point and shoot. Earlier the camera was available around 25k on Amazon, however it seems now that pricing has gone up and its not available less than 30k anywhere. I had started with budget of 20k and was stretching till 25k, but going till 30k is a bit too much.

Please suggest any alternatives, or any stores in NCR where I might get it at a good price with warranty?
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:53   #1789
Team-BHP Support

Why A5000? What are your requirements other than the strict budget?
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:24   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The new Olympus 300mm just won the most prestigious lens of the year award. Keep in mind this is not under mirrorless category. It was chosen as the best lens of the year across all dSLR and mirrorless category.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/new...0520awarde.jsp
That's a great but niche product, giving Olympus users reach that they didn't have in such a nice package

Long lens use for sports and wildlife is still the playfield of DSLR users (but things will change in a few years, DSLRs will become dinosaurs).

A Nikon D500 + 300mm f/4 PF vs any Olympus + this lens. Time to choose.

An Olympus user will always choose the Olympus kit. But not one who is not wedded to the Olympus system. I see very few folks switching to Oly.

People who have invested in Olympus as their preferred system wouldn't have wildlife and sports as their primary genres in the first place. Which means, use of a long lens (600mm equivalent) is a once in a while activity.

This is not a dig on Olympus. Just horses for courses.
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:31   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
Why A5000? What are your requirements other than the strict budget?
I am basically looking for an upgrade from my current point and shoot (Nikon Coolpix), and hoping to learn a bit more about photography. I am not looking for anything too bulky either.

Considered the A5000, because of the strong reviews it fetched across multiple websites like dpreview.com and photographyblog.com. They had rated it high, especially for the value for money proposition, which considering my budget was an important factor. My brother in-law has NEX-5 with which he is quite satisfied and this is supposed to be its sequel too.

However, having saying that, I have not made up firm mind on anything yet, and am completely open to suggestions. I can also get it from USA so if you have any suggestions under $360(factoring taxes) or around 25k mark do put it below.
Old 23rd May 2016, 23:02   #1792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
People who have invested in Olympus as their preferred system wouldn't have wildlife and sports as their primary genres in the first place.
That's right, most olympus users got there because of compactness factor. So this lens, however great, won't enter our kit. My longest lens is 45mm, it won the 2012 Editors Award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
However, having saying that, I have not made up firm mind on anything yet, and am completely open to suggestions. I can also get it from USA so if you have any suggestions under $360(factoring taxes) or around 25k mark do put it below.
Hmm, mirrorless is not exactly cheap, it is actually expensive compared to dSLR. If your budget is strict, go for entry level dSLR. Can't really think of a mirrorless that can meet your budget. You can also consider refurbished or used cameras though.
Old 25th May 2016, 20:29   #1793
BHPian

Only for today - Fujinon XF-14 2.8R @ USD 499 in amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009L1HC2I/?tag=giftfella-20

Information courtesy, twitter feed of David Hobby

https://twitter.com/strobist
Old 27th June 2016, 00:50   #1794
BHPian

Is there Focus Peaking available with the OMD EM 5 Mk II? I'm currently using the Art filter trick and I'm not able to visualize the peaking borders properly with the art filter trick. What do you guys do for the focus peaking on the EM 5 Mk II?
Old 27th June 2016, 03:05   #1795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Is there Focus Peaking available with the OMD EM 5 Mk II? I'm currently using the Art filter trick and I'm not able to visualize the peaking borders properly with the art filter trick. What do you guys do for the focus peaking on the EM 5 Mk II?

Go into Menu Gear D and set accordingly

Jeroen
Old 20th July 2016, 00:10   #1796
BHPian

Came across this news article on one of the rumor sites.

http://www.43rumors.com/new-olympus-...8mm-35mm-50mm/

Could these FF lenses from Olympus be for the Sony E mount or could it be that Olympus is in the process of going FF natively? Either way it sounds definitely interesting!

I've got one other question on the focus magnification. I remember using AF+MF mode on my sony NEX would get me a focus magnification. Is it available with the OM D? I remember seeing a video about it long time ago, but could not remember which one that was. Effectively, I would like to magnify the focus point when doing AF. Is this possible?

Last edited by ampere : 20th July 2016 at 07:33. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 20th September 2016, 08:36   #1797
Team-BHP Support

The EM1mkII has been announced, it is so powerful, I don't know what to do with it.

http://www.dailycameranews.com/2016/...i-development/

I am very happy with the EM5mkII I got in Jan 2015. I even have the EM5mkI which I am planning to sell now. Wife asked me to sell it to finance her iPhone.

First I have to get its sensor cleaned. It caught some sensor dust in the RFC due to the condensation.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th September 2016 at 08:37.
Old 20th September 2016, 15:45   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Very impressive specs. So one can expect a good 80MP full frame sensor in the future.
Old 13th October 2016, 23:44   #1799
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
@Samurai, are you still with Olympus? I ditched them long back when they ditched Four Thirds. But i haven't got onto any other brands yet.
I too ditched 4/3, only to jump into m4/3. Now I have OMD EM5 and EM5mII, and bunch of m4/3 lenses. So I am very much with Olympus, and quite happy.
Old 14th October 2016, 10:44   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
I too ditched 4/3, only to jump into m4/3. Now I have OMD EM5 and EM5mII, and bunch of m4/3 lenses. So I am very much with Olympus, and quite happy.
Good to hear that. How's the low light performance? I dreaded anything above ISO 400 from my E500. I guess Olympus has got past that. I used a Canon 7D + 85 f1.8 + 70-200 f2.8 for a few days....and fell in love with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks