Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2017, 13:22   #1921
Team-BHP Support

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Thanks for posting that. Will post my query there.

For the mirror less cases, usually the choices are with Olympus and Sony. Check out Olympus range as well.
Old 19th July 2017, 13:30   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For the mirror less cases, usually the choices are with Olympus and Sony. Check out Olympus range as well.
Thanks for the reply ampere. Did quite a bit of searching and also looked up Olympus range and Service support in India. All in all, sticking to my original choice and going for a A6300. Would have loved to go for a A6500, but for the price of 1.2 lakh including a lens, its seriously a steep reach for me. So Sony A6300 it is !
Old 19th July 2017, 13:36   #1923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply ampere. Did quite a bit of searching and also looked up Olympus range and Service support in India. All in all, sticking to my original choice and going for a A6300. Would have loved to go for a A6500, but for the price of 1.2 lakh including a lens, its seriously a steep reach for me. So Sony A6300 it is !

Good choice. I have Olympus kit, but unless something has changed since mid last year I found Olympus support in India non existent and very few shops carried their range. Their so called Flag ship shop in Delhi was a joke and closed down last time I visited.

Jeroen
Old 19th July 2017, 15:41   #1924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. All in all, sticking to my original choice and going for a A6300.
Nice. I bought the a6000 (and now prices have dropped substantially ). Are you buying it with the lens? With hindsight, I would have bought the 18-110 lens instead of the 2-lens-with-body a6000 option.
Old 19th July 2017, 18:59   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nice. I bought the a6000 (and now prices have dropped substantially ). Are you buying it with the lens? With hindsight, I would have bought the 18-110 lens instead of the 2-lens-with-body a6000 option.
Very good buy . I bought my a6000 in the UK in early 2015 and have been using it since. I'm not an avid photographer and for my kind of usage, the kit lens serves me well and the battery has held up well too.
Old 19th July 2017, 19:25   #1926
Senior - BHPian

Any one knows who stocks Panasonic mft equipment. Looking for a GH5
Old 20th July 2017, 04:49   #1927
BHPian

Quote:
The A6300 comes with the standard 16-50mm out of the box, so didnt need to buy an add on lens atm. The 16-50mm will be a good starting point for me.
Just in-case if anyone is contemplating on buying it, I bought mine in an official Sony Center. Got the following add-ons along with the camera and the lens for Rs. 67,500/-
1) Sony Class 10 - 64 GB SD Card
2) HDMI Cable
3) Carry Case
Old 20th July 2017, 07:46   #1928
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The A6300 comes with the standard 16-50mm out of the box, so didnt need to buy an add on lens atm. The 16-50mm will be a good starting point for me.
I would suggest the 50mm APSC lens. One of the sharpest I have used and a brilliant addition to the Sony kit.

Do note there is also an FF 50mm lens. Make sure you get the APSC one. It comes with optical steady shot as well (image stabilization).
Old 20th July 2017, 07:59   #1929
BHPian

Hey guys!

My current camera gear is Canon EOS 550d, with a kit lens, canon 15-85mm, 50mm f 1.8 lens, and a 70-300mm lens. Also have a canon manual flash, canon 430ex ii flash, and a tripod

Most of this was acquired between 2010 - 13, when it was my favorite hobby and I've lost touch now. The only lenses i used much, are the 50mm lens and 15-85 lens. I used to shoot landscape and people.

Planning to revisit the hobby now, and would like to upgrade the camera. ( I don't need it, but more like i want it, once u get used to dslr a bit, the beginner bodies get very restrictive with access to the settings etc).

I was planning for a canon 80d, especially for the lcd screen on top, and weather sealing, which will help if i upgrade to L lenses in the future. (The canon 7d Mark III was the one i was hoping for, but it's only rumoured since mid 2016 :( )

Was reading about a6300 and it sounds very inviting, especially with its capabilities in a small body, which will make it easier when traveling. But that would put most of my gear out of use, and i will have to rebuild my kit. AF seems like a hit or miss with sony mount - eos mount converters. Also I'm a person who never shoots using the screen and always use the Optical view finder.

My questions:

1) How good are these smaller mirrorless bodies to hold, compared to traditional ones?

2) How good is the Electronic viewfinder in a6300, especially in low light?

3) Does it make sense to make a system switch, just for the sake of a smaller body? Would you do it?

Thanks

Edit: Grammatical errors.

Last edited by Raghav_K : 20th July 2017 at 08:02.
Old 20th July 2017, 09:18   #1930
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
1) How good are these smaller mirrorless bodies to hold, compared to traditional ones?
Awesome sensor and I like it very much.

Quote:
Usually good, but focus may lack at some time.

Quote:
3) Does it make sense to make a system switch, just for the sake of a smaller body? Would you do it?
I have been on the same boat for some time now. I moved from 550D to 7D-II earlier. And then been thinking. So I took a middle path. Instead I went went with the cheaper A6000 with kit and 50mm. I use this for generic/family travel. Ergonomics are not good, but I have learnt to live with it for sake of size. Sony higher end lens (like the 24-70, 70-200 G-Master) are costly and the sizes are comparable to regular DSLR lens for the same range. So I have restricted my self to smaller lenses for Sony and keep the bigger ones for 7D-II. Else you wont see the size advantage of Sony.

The combo works very well. Especially the 50mm APSC is a delight to use on Sony. EVF is also very nice.

In effect, I have not fully moved to Sony. Basically I have gotten into the Canon comfort zone with some awesome lenses. Hence keeping status quo for now with Sony as the second body.
Old 20th July 2017, 12:08   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used to shoot landscape and people.
Both cases you dont need a high end AF system. Mirror less like Olympus/Sony do fabulous job for the above requirements. More than Sony i may recommend the Olympus set up which will be the lightest, smallest yet the most satisfying output generating camera for your needs and has superb variety of lenses as well.

Based on the two areas you are used to shooting, i am tempted to recommend a full frame system. May be the original 6D that you can pick from panic sellers.

Quote:
AF seems like a hit or miss with sony mount - eos mount converters.
Try focus peaking. AF is very slow after that.
Old 20th July 2017, 13:11   #1932
BHPian

@ampere and VW2010,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Even I'm considering something like you, ampere. The sony 6000 has fallen to something like 32,000 with kit lens I think, and I'm almost tempted to get it just to see how it feels. If i don't like it, i can just sell it off for a minor loss.

And VW2010, i have always thought one good cross type AF is all i need The 6D prices are tempting, but i love my 15-85 lens, and its EF-S, so i will have to sell and find something equivalent for full frame, which will set off another round of purchases, and I don't think my missus is gonna be very happy about that. So no FF for now

Edit: I have been out of the loop for long. How much have lens prices gone up? I got the 15-85 for 45k from flipkart, few years ago (10k card offer), and just checked prices on amazon now and its 89k!!!

Last edited by Raghav_K : 20th July 2017 at 13:13.
Old 20th July 2017, 16:08   #1933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Feels like a "real camera!" Remember range-finder cameras? A bit like that, My last "real" camera was an Olympus OM2, which was the smallest SLR when it came out. The a6000 is a little smaller and, of course, without the sticking-up prism.

I think the a6500 actually has a metal body? But the a6000 does not have a plastic feel.
Old 21st July 2017, 11:59   #1934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Feels like a "rap camera el.[/i]

Agree, I started with the OMD E5. That broke unfortunately so I got the E5 mk 2. I did invest in the additional battery holder and grip. I hardly ever use the additional battery holder, but the grip is always on. Makes it a little more comfortable to hold.

The more recent models have no need for the additional grip as the body is different and more or less includes it.
I also have the Pen F. No additional grip or battery holder. I use it mostly with the 17mm lens. Which makes it a very small but very powerful little camera. I've got fairly big hands, but I have no trouble holding either camera compared to bigger ones.
Jeroen
Old 21st July 2017, 20:58   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys!

My questions:

Thanks

Edit: Grammatical errors.
Mirroless cameras are a miss or a hit as far as ergonomics are concerned. For instance I love my GX7 but hate my EM 5 II. DSLRs still have some of the best ergonomics in my opinion if you are OK with the large form factor and weight.

Again most EVFs even the best ones can never avoid the lag completely especially in low light where it also turns grainy. But I expect this technology to only get better. It has its advantages like focus peaking for use with MF glass which I haven't seen in any DSLR yet. So if you plan to use a lot of adapted old MF glass, EVF with assisted focusing is the way to go.

Definitely switch if size is a criteria. Canon APSC IQ can easily be bettered with most small format or APSC mirroless options out there. You can even use your Canon AF and IS lenses with mirroless options with full compatibility. However what you lose is ergonomics, battery life and the amazing dual pixel Video AF present on most new Canon bodies.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SPARKled : 21st July 2017 at 20:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks