Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:10   #1036
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I do not want to convert the 60mm equivalent or whatsoever and convince myself that this would give a 120mm effective on a FF. I'm not shooting on a FF, so that does not apply to me.
I have no idea what you are saying here. But if you prefer your macros lens between 85-105mm, then that's that.

You are worried about working distance. But getting the right macro lens is only 10% of it. Shooting a good macro is the remaining 90%. That part is so difficult, I don't even try it anymore.

See this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1341879
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:23   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have no idea what you are saying here. But if you prefer your macros lens between 85-105mm, then that's that.

You are worried about working distance. But getting the right macro lens is only 10% of it. Shooting a good macro is the remaining 90%. That part is so difficult, I don't even try it anymore.

I suppose every lens has a minimum focusing distance. With a 60mm, it might be 30cm (for example) and with a 105mm it might be a bit more and that is what I want, a bit more of a distance from which I can focus on my subject. When you apply the conversion factor of a 60mm MFT equivalent on a FF, is your focusing distance specified for the lens going to increase? It is just the focal length equivalent, but the focusing distance stays the same. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure which 60mm lens you are talking about, but the ones that I checked (the Sigma 90mm) had a much bigger distance to focus to get that macro effect.
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:51   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Joe you are right in a way and Samurai you too .

Actually the equivelence in terms of FF business applies to angle of view ( AOV) but in terms of macro photography Angle of View is not that important as the magnification and working distance are.

Working distance is function of focal length ( not equivelent angle of view).

For now I would say you can experiment with manual prime leses reverse mounted on you fuji , A revsersed 28mm lens give more magnification and working distance then 90mm macro but is lot tedious to use as you can get only above 1:1 and not environmental shots of macro subjects.

In terms of sharpness and clarity reversed prime lenses rival best of macros.
Old 3rd June 2013, 23:27   #1039
BHPian

So here goes my first test shot with the Nikon 105mm macro lens, with a Novoflex adapter on a NEX 6. The lens mounted on the NEX makes the NEX feel so minute and I often times had the feeling that my native lens mount on the NEX would break off. Excuse me for the quality of the picture. Though I had that mounted on the tripod, I kept a hand on the lens so that my fear of the NEX ripping apart was reduced. But anyways, this is what I want to do, macro photography.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-my_first_macro_1_2013.jpg  

Old 4th June 2013, 18:37   #1040
BHPian

Quote:

First of all sorry to chain my post. You are in a sense correct. Shooting a good macro seems to be a challenge and it is this challenge that makes me interested towards macro. I now have to get creative.

On a general note, now I own a DSLR (Nikon D3200) and a NEX 6. Looking at the usability and flexibility, I love working with my NEX 6 than the heavyweight DSLR. I'm convinced that there will be a lot of adoption to the mirror-less systems in the future by those DSLR users.
Old 6th June 2013, 00:06   #1041
BHPian

Came across this sale - Nikon 1J1 mirrorless system with 10-30mm kit lens - http://www.infibeam.com/Cameras/i-Ni...-1J1-DSLR.html

Use Coupon MONSOON5 & the final price will be Rs. 16150

Wondering if this is a good deal. Any suggestions?

Last edited by null : 6th June 2013 at 00:07. Reason: model
Old 6th June 2013, 11:08   #1042
Senior - BHPian

Canon announced a new firmware for EOS M which boosts AF speed by 2.3X

Also new 11-22 F4-5.6 IS STM lens is announced It has 3 stop IS , the filter size of this lens is 55mm so IMHO this is going to be most compact UWA lens , don't know the pricing yet.

Seems like best mirrorless option for landscape and UWA now , good that they idenfitied the gap left by other players and filled with this lens.

Last edited by amitk26 : 6th June 2013 at 11:11.
Old 6th June 2013, 11:26   #1043
Team-BHP Support

More compact than the M.Zuiko 9-18mm lens? No way. BTW, I sold this lens on Amazon.com recently for $620. I had bought it in Jan 2011 for $569 when dollar was around 42-44 rupees. Made an handsome profit even after Amazon commission.

M.Zuiko 9-18mm was given Silver award at Dpreivew lens review. I doubt the Canon lens will beat it.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-p1190139.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 6th June 2013 at 11:28.
Old 6th June 2013, 11:27   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Sony might profit from its partnership with Olympus as there are rumors of the 5-axis IBIS from Oly coming in future Sony products

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/05/olym...mount-cameras/
Old 6th June 2013, 11:47   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
M.Zuiko 9-18mm was given Silver award at Dpreivew lens review. I doubt the Canon lens will beat it.
Good for you .. If you have your way all products should cease to exisit except Olympus made ( a small concession to Panasonic for being micro 4/3) LOL.

BTW this is Mirrorless thread and not Olympus thread.
Old 6th June 2013, 12:05   #1046
Team-BHP Support

Not sure what you mean...

You said Canon 11-22 F4-5.6 is is going to be most compact UWA lens. That is clearly wrong. The Zuiko 9-18mm is smaller than that.

Next you say this seems like the best mirrorless option for landscape and UWA now. Very subjective statement, it is yet to be proven in the field, unlike the M.Zuiko 9-18mm.

What is wrong is saying that a highly acclaimed lens like 9-18mm may not be easily beaten?

You had already made one factually wrong statement, why shouldn't I doubt your very next subjective statement?

Quote:
BTW this is Mirrorless thread and not Olympus thread.
This is a very curious statement. What made you feel I am treating this like a Olympus thread?
Old 6th June 2013, 13:01   #1047
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

BTW its confirmed that Olympus will be making lenses for the A mount and E mount and the first lens to come out will be a 400mm lens.

SAR SR4 says that olympus will jointly develop further the 5 Axis IS with Sony and it will debut in A-mount cameras.

What i don't understand is that how is all this going to help olympus in camera sales.
Old 6th June 2013, 17:31   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't see what's all the fuss about the 9-18. It's a better than decent lens but really nothing great. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Panasonic 7-14 is better or equal in equivalent focal lengths in most of the reviews and comparisons that I have seen on the net and I really don't know why you have doubts on Canon's ability to make a real good uwa to beat it.
Old 6th June 2013, 19:39   #1049
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
but the Panasonic 7-14 is better or equal in equivalent focal lengths in most of the reviews and comparisons
I thought we were talking about the most compact UWA lens. Panasonic is twice as heavy compared to Zuiko, so I didn't consider it.

Quote:
that I have seen on the net and I really don't know why you have doubts on Canon's ability to make a real good uwa to beat it.
It is not their ability, but their attitude towards mirrorless segment. They are just not serious about it.
Old 6th June 2013, 20:25   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Canon announced a new firmware for EOS M which boosts AF speed by 2.3X

Also new 11-22 F4-5.6 IS STM lens is announced It has 3 stop IS , the filter size of this lens is 55mm so IMHO this is going to be most compact UWA lens , don't know the pricing yet.

Seems like best mirrorless option for landscape and UWA now , good that they idenfitied the gap left by other players and filled with this lens.
Are the specs out yet? I couldn't find them. I am not sure if they'll be able to create a compact UWA lens for APS-C. 55mm filter doesn't say much.

Best system for landscape and UWA? Err, okay, if you say so. To me, it'll easily be the Nex or the Sigma DPXM series.

Quote:
I really don't know why you have doubts on Canon's ability to make a real good uwa to beat it.
Can't speak for Samurai, but IMO, with what Canon did with EOS-M, I do not expect much from this lens. Lol, even with that 2.3x AF improvement it'll be slower than Fuji cameras. It was the last company to come out with a mirrorless camera and still managed to not get so many things right. Anyway, let's see what this lens does.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks