Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 15:29   #916
Senior - BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I don't know if this has already been said, but the Panasonic Lumix is a very evil camera. When you look at the picture in the view finder, you see a perfectly good image but as soon as you push the button to click the picture, it suddenly makes the image dark and you end up with a terrible picture. The least they could get it to do is show the image as it is expected to show up in the JPEG file. The camera is sitting in a storage closet somewhere right now, and is what I expect to take with me in dodgy areas where there's a possibility of getting mugged.
But that's how most cameras work.
What you see in live view is not what the exposure is - usually when you do a shutter half press the live view should show you the actual exposure.

Only in case of full manual mode can you view the exposure continuously (i.e. even without pressing the shutter)

Though I am not too sure about the terrible picture part :P
Old 7th March 2013, 16:41   #917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if this has already been said, but the Panasonic Lumix is a very evil camera. When you look at the picture in the view finder, you see a perfectly good image but as soon as you push the button to click the picture, it suddenly makes the image dark and you end up with a terrible picture. The least they could get it to do is show the image as it is expected to show up in the JPEG file. The camera is sitting in a storage closet somewhere right now, and is what I expect to take with me in dodgy areas where there's a possibility of getting mugged.

clearly your exposure is horribly wrong. Its not camera fault really. Panasonic makes really good cameras.

Please take it out of the closet, give it big bear hug "all is forgotten", set it to auto mode and see the magic
Old 16th March 2013, 10:35   #918
Senior - BHPian

Olympus have applied for patents for 12-40 f2.8-4.0 and 12-40 f2.8 lenses.

looks like future OM-Ds might come with 12-40 f2.8-4.0 lenses. Fuji XE-1 effect?
Old 26th March 2013, 15:22   #919
Team-BHP Support

While Olympus Japan is creating revolutionary products and winning hearts and customers, Olympus India is really getting stupider by the day.

I have many options for purchasing Olympus gear, but it is becoming a nightmare to get service. Couple years back, I wanted to repair a lens that was getting a bit noisy. I found 3 centers in Bangalore. I found Shetala Camera on St.John road relatively closer, so I took the lens and a body (for demo) to their center. Once I was there, 3 different people asked me to demonstrate the problem. Finally they declared that they don't deal with lenses, I have to go to the other center. In that case, why the hell did they want me to demo the problem to 3 different people?

Anyway, I stormed out of there. I guess I shouldn't have expected much considering my earlier experience with them: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post642307

Finally I got it done with a center near KH road.

This time around, I have a 4/3 tele-converter that has some electrical issue. The AF fails if the lens is mounted on this TC. I have to use it in MF only.

So I thought I should get it fixed. When I looked up at the service centers, I was horrified to find that the center near KH road is not listed anymore and Shetala is now the only service center in Bangalore. So I called up and asked whether they will accept a tele-converter for repair. It shouldn't really matter to them because they will just send it to Mumbai for repair. The guy on the other side says yes and I was relieved. Later in the afternoon I drove up all the way to give the TC. Now the familiar story repeats, he says he can only accept lenses and not TC. What the hell, how does it matter!!!

Now I got really mad, because I was told in the morning that TC will be accepted. But this fellow says morning guy was ignorant, they can't really accept a TC. Then he hands me the number of a collection center in Sajjan Rao circle, which is in the other end of Bangalore.

Thus I stormed out once again from Shetala Camera, the official Customer Scare Center for Olympus in Bangalore.

Today I called the only other choice, the Olympus India collection center at Sajjan Rao circle. Nobody picks up the bloody phone! (Yes, I called many times. Once it was busy, that means they ignore the calls)

This is Olympus Service in India!

All you folks eyeing Olympus EVIL camera, please beware. If Olympus can't provide a single competent service center in Bangalore, what is point of selling it here?

Last edited by Samurai : 26th March 2013 at 15:41.
Old 26th March 2013, 15:59   #920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you look at the picture in the view finder, you see a perfectly good image but as soon as you push the button to click the picture, it suddenly makes the image dark and you end up with a terrible picture. .
Not sure about the Viewfinder thing but one thing I know. Lumix camera images are on the bluer or cooler side of the spectrum. You can immediately make out which one has been taken from Olympus and which one from panasonic. Olympus image will be warmer.
Old 26th March 2013, 20:45   #921
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey folks, I am back after a hiatus of a few weeks. Was travelling and upon my return home fell ill with a cold and bronchitis.

To cut a long story short I finally managed to convince my better half that I need a small camera of my own. And hey presto I am now the owner of the Fuji X-E1 with 3 lenses i.e. the kit 18-55mm F/2.8-4 zoom with OIS, 35mm 1.4 and the recently introduced 14mm 2.8. These lenses are mostly metal, the body is beautifully made. Got them yesterday evening. This kit reminds me so much of a Leica, though I have never owned one. If it is possible to be in love all over again, well, I am. First the Oly and now the Fuji. Sigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
All you folks eyeing Olympus EVIL camera, please beware. If Olympus can't provide a single competent service center in Bangalore, what is point of selling it here?
In Pune where I live there's one service center, something that goes by the name of M/s Pearl Systems. Sheesh!

I hope I never have to use Oly's (or Fuji's, which has 2 centers in my city) service centers. But then again, anybody buying these systems can forget about the kind of service one gets with Canikon, resale value, among other drawbacks. And I am not even considering the survivability of these companies here, just live in the fond hope that Oly and Fuji flourish. That's why I will be capping my 'exposure' to these EVIL systems with a max of 4 lenses including the kit lens.
Old 26th March 2013, 22:48   #922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is Olympus Service in India!

After posting this, I sent an email to Olympus India listing all my Olympus equipment and pathetic quality of service I got in Bangalore.

Suddenly there was a flurry of activity. I got emails from 3 different people, all fairly senior folks of Olympus and Shetala. They requested my phone number and got me into a conference call. To make the long story short, about 2.5 hours after my first email, an employee of Shetala Camera showed up at my house and collected the TC lens personally.
Old 27th March 2013, 11:18   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Will be interesting to know if they could solve your TC problem.
Old 1st April 2013, 20:00   #924
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

One of my friends is planning to buy Olympus E-PM1. Any idea how the camera is?? Any other alternative in the sub $350 range?
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:19   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
One of my friends is planning to buy Olympus E-PM1. Any idea how the camera is?? Any other alternative in the sub $350 range?
Olympus E PM2 is the upgraded version with better sensor & functions.
If budget is the deciding factor, still your friend can opt for E PL3.
If this is his first camera, it should be fine. But if he's graduating from a PnS, better go for PL series.
I can't comment on PM1. I use E PL5 and its wonderful camera.
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:50   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
Olympus E PM2 is the upgraded version with better sensor & functions.
If budget is the deciding factor, still your friend can opt for E PL3.
If this is his first camera, it should be fine. But if he's graduating from a PnS, better go for PL series.
I can't comment on PM1. I use E PL5 and its wonderful camera.
Thanks bro for the timely help
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:50   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
One short answer to your first question it's a pain in butt if you want to do anything more then auto mode. Olympus E-PM , E-PL and E-P differ mainly on account of ergonomics and E-P series sit at the top and E-PM at the bottom. Even E-PL series is a pain if you are used to DSLRs but lot better then E-PM

Since you have mentioned $ seems your friend is in USA and he can look at Samsung NX series , NX 1000 fits the budget it's 318$ on Amazon with 20-50 kit lens and the choice/quality of other lenses is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NX1000...ref=pd_sim_p_2

Last edited by amitk26 : 3rd April 2013 at 13:54.
Old 9th April 2013, 23:42   #928
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
^^Will be interesting to know if they could solve your TC problem.
My TC came back after 10 days, and they kept me in the loop throughout the process. Even the engineer who was working on the problem called me twice.

They could find nothing wrong with the TC, which was quite surprising. I hadn't tested it recently, not since I sold my E3 in September. I got my E-500 to Bangalore this time for testing, and the TC worked perfectly. So, I was not charged anything.

However, I am still wondering how my TC that didn't work for years suddenly started working. Anyway, all is well that ends well.
Old 10th April 2013, 11:02   #929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My TC came back after 10 days, and they kept me in the loop throughout the process. Even the engineer who was working on the problem called me twice.

However, I am still wondering how my TC that didn't work for years suddenly started working. Anyway, all is well that ends well.
Good to hear that the TC is working well now. Also good to read that there's working technical support and customer care at Olympus India even if the wheels began to turn only after you cranked up the heat.
Old 11th April 2013, 16:52   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
What is lost is the balance between the body and lens. Not to mention bad ergonomics encountered with current m4/3 bodies.

Reminds of the thread "Ford fiesta is better than Lambo".
I have a Sony HX20V and a Sony HX200V. The larger body of the HX200V makes it easier to hold with one hand, leaving the other hand for, perhaps, stabilizing props or handling an external flash. I always thought a larger camera body would be a strain on the wrist but it is actually much lighter than it looks.

BTW, there's a BBC Top Gear episode of Jeremy Clarkson demonstrating how a Ford Fiesta is better than a Chevrolet Corvette when being chased at a shopping mall

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks