Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 15:51   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Also, consider M.Zuiko 12mm f/2 if you fancy 24mm EFL prime. That is a stellar lens.
Sure, will check it out. But then budgets are a key reminder that I cannot go footloose (expense wise) with this kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
congrats R2D2. That silver/black is so good looking. Makes the OM-D EM5 even more of a classic as far as styling is concerned. That is something my black edition lacks I think.
Thanks joslicx. The retro looks and compactness are 2 features that made me fall for this camera.

The thing is, now I have a leg in two very different systems - Oly MFT and Nikon FX. Want to leverage the advantages of both as much as I can.

Quote:
As far the bag choice, Kata is good but if you are gonna build a complete system with 3-4 lenses, flash etc as well then consider the Think Tank Retrospective 5. It is costly (about 5k at discountsvu.com) but a very very good bag. Even Kata does not come close to that in terms of quality. Just check out its reviews on Youtube.
I'll be using the flash that came with the kit and buy a max of 3 more lenses.

Quote:
As for wide prime, I think Panasonic 20mm might be better alternative to the Olympus 17mm f1.8. Cheaper by $150 and I am yet to read a negative review of that one! Its recommended even over the PL 25mm f1.4!
Quote:
And yes, you've been recommended the Oly 45mm but would love to see you pick up the 75mm instead, given your proclivity for long lenses
LOL!

Bro, I am not trying to mirror or equalise my Oly kit with the Nikon kit. That's simply not possible mainly due to budget constraints. Budget aside the MFT system doesn't have a lens selection that comes close to what the duopoly Nikon/Canon have. I will make do with what is available. The Nikon teles are for a particular purpose. The FX 24-70 F/2.8, 50mm 1.4/35mm 1.4 and the Oly are for frequent use.

The Oly will also be used by my wife who's a landscape painter. She, like most women, does not like using big DSLRs with heavy lenses hanging off the front.

I really like the idea of taking a candid photo without an in-your-face and imposing camera+lens combination. I read about 2 pro Nikon photogs (Thom Hogan and Nasim Mansurov) who chose the Oly as a backup. See Nasim's recent (23/1/13) review of the Oly here:

http://photographylife.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m5

Nasim is one of the few balanced reviewers I really like. So his review was what convinced me and I got my little camera today.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th February 2013 at 15:53.
Old 5th February 2013, 16:21   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

The Oly will also be used by my wife who's a landscape painter. She, like most women, does not like using big DSLRs with heavy lenses hanging off the front.
Then I guess the 12mm is what you ought to get. Or the Panasonic 14mm for a cheaper alternative.

Quote:
I really like the idea of taking a candid photo without an in-your-face and imposing camera+lens combination. I read about 2 pro Nikon photogs (Thom Hogan and Nasim Mansurov) who chose the Oly as a backup. See Nasim's recent (23/1/13) review of the Oly here:

http://photographylife.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m5

Nasim is one of the few balanced reviewers I really like. So his review was what convinced me and I got my little camera today.
Till few months back I used to frequent Nasim's site a lot. Massive respect for him as a writer and a photographer.

These days it is Ming Thein who I've found to be the best photographer blogger out there. He uses the rangefinders (Leicas) & mirrorless (OM-D EM5) a lot and I think he takes the best pictures out there. He also has a nice review of the OM-D EM5, the 45mm & the 75mm lenses on his blog. He also uses quite a lot of Nikon equipment so he makes comparisons between these systems.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/06/02/omd/
Old 5th February 2013, 16:40   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
These days it is Ming Thein who I've found to be the best photographer blogger out there. He uses the rangefinders (Leicas) & mirrorless (OM-D EM5) a lot and I think he takes the best pictures out there. He also has a nice review of the OM-D EM5, the 45mm & the 75mm lenses on his blog. He also uses quite a lot of Nikon equipment so he makes comparisons between these systems.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/06/02/omd/
Ming is a brilliant guy with an impressive educational credentials & clients. His blog is a treat to read.

I am a regular visitor to his site and just forgot to mention his name along with Nasim and Thom. I had read his review of the Oly last year.

Ming, who mainly used Leica and Nikon, is famous for being the first to have unearthed or reported the infamous Nikon D800 left focus point issue around May 2012.
Old 5th February 2013, 17:18   #799
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, MFT experts, here's a noob question.

While I am aware that the Oly OMD has a in built sensor dust reduction /cleaning mechanism, fact is that there's no mirror (or shutter) to protect the sensor whilst changing lenses making the interior far more susceptible to dust. Though I am not someone who changes lenses frequently (even on my DSLRs), there may be a time you get a stubborn spec on the sensor or in the 'box' behind the mounting flange.

To clean this can we use a rocket blower? What about wet cleaning the sensor with swabs? Has anybody done this? I could not see recommendations in the manual. It has a brief para on the dust reduction function and some thing called pixel mapping.

And yes, I couldnt resist uploading this pic. Here are Goliath & David next to each other. The D4 has the 24-70 F/2.8 mounted, the Oly has the kit lens.

PS - Please excuse the quality of the pics. I find the Note 2's camera rather lacking
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-d4-omdem5r.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th February 2013 at 17:45. Reason: Added pic
Old 5th February 2013, 17:57   #800
Senior - BHPian

R2D2

Read at multiple places that Olympus recommends not to clean sensor yourself but to send it to them as it can jeopardize the very sensitive IBS.
Old 5th February 2013, 18:11   #801
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Though I am not someone who changes lenses frequently (even on my DSLRs), there may be a time you get a stubborn spec on the sensor or in the 'box' behind the mounting flange.

To clean this can we use a rocket blower? What about wet cleaning the sensor with swabs? Has anybody done this? I could not see recommendations in the manual. It has a brief para on the dust reduction function and some thing called pixel mapping.
This may be a paradigm shift for non-Olympus users. But having enjoyed this dust reduction/cleaning mechanism since 7 years on all my Olympus bodies, I can tell you one thing. You might never need to do any cleaning. I never had to clean the dust manually until now despite using my cameras in very dusty/wet OTR trails. Therefore, worry about crossing that bridge once you come to it.

It was well ahead even in 2007: http://pixinfo.com/en/articles/ccd-dust-removal/

Last edited by Samurai : 5th February 2013 at 18:19.
Old 5th February 2013, 18:21   #802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can tell you one thing. You might never need to do any cleaning. Therefore, worry about crossing that bridge once you come to it.
This is good to hear.

I am always wary about even lens cleaning (which is why the UV/clear filters) forget sensor cleaning. Any cleaning attempt carries the risk of an unintentional mess up or even damage. So I've always preferred to use the in built dust reduction mechanism to do the needful.
Old 5th February 2013, 18:51   #803
Senior - BHPian

Pointing the camera downwards while you change the lens helps a bit. Gravity does its bit there.
But really you never will have to clean the sensor of Oly. I am sure of that.

BTW you maintain any blogs where you upload pics you take? Your arsenal is formidable to say the least.

Last edited by download2live : 5th February 2013 at 18:53.
Old 5th February 2013, 19:15   #804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Pointing the camera downwards while you change the lens helps a bit. Gravity does its bit there. But really you never will have to clean the sensor of Oly. I am sure of that..
Thanks dude. Pointing the body downwards is the process I follow with my DSLRs. To prempt any dust related hassles I dont change the lens as far as possible, choosing instead to fit complementary lenses to 2 bodies. If at all I change a lens it's in a car with windows rolled up or in a room.

Regarding the Oly, this does give me a lot of comfort. I happy never to perform any cleaning at all.

Quote:
BTW you maintain any blogs where you upload pics you take? Your arsenal is formidable to say the least.
Thanks. Yes the kit is well defined and complete. It took me years and a lot of investment to drive it where I wanted it to be. As a self confessed gear head I am no where close to mastering it. Planning to head off to a couple of wildlife reserves this year.

I haven't thought of uploading my photos online sites (like 1x, 500px, etc) mainly due to privacy and IP concerns. Not that my photos are photographic masterpieces...anything but. But they are still mine and I am still learning. I know there are superb photos on these sites and mine pale in comparison.

That recent Instagram brouhaha really convinced me I may have made the right decision as these sites can change their T&Cs rather suddenly for purely commercial reasons, or even go bust.

All that said, I am looking at a way to share some photos with people including TBHPians.
Old 5th February 2013, 21:06   #805
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a 100% crop of a test pic taken at home. The JPG is direct from the camera w/o any external NR or PP.

EXIF is ISO 1600, 1/20th, F/3.5, FL 12mm (24 in FF)

It is about 6 pm and getting a bit dark. I see a lot of noise when I view the test photo, check the white ceiling/walls at the far end of the room.

Is this normal? Is there some setting I have missed?

I updated the firmware to v1.4 Will check again in the days to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-crop.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th February 2013 at 21:07.
Old 5th February 2013, 21:25   #806
Team-BHP Support

It is normal. When you go past ISO1000, you will find noise in darker areas. Don't judge by FF standards.

That is why I used to cry for faster m4/3 lenses couple years back on this thread.
Old 5th February 2013, 21:35   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is normal. When you go past ISO1000, you will find noise in darker areas. Don't judge by FF standards.

That is why I used to cry for faster m4/3 lenses couple years back on this thread.
Ah! Thanks. Guess I need to temper my expectations. And now it's done!

That said, I love this little pixie. If I could liken my full frame cameras to canines (I love dogs), then this is the feeling you get when you bring home a puppy.

PS - for anybody who is interested. Check camera size comparisons here at this great site: http://camerasize.com/compact/#332,1...2,243.327,ha,f

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th February 2013 at 21:44. Reason: added PS
Old 6th February 2013, 01:23   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS - for anybody who is interested. Check camera size comparisons here at this great site: http://camerasize.com/compact/#332,1...2,243.327,ha,f
This is funny, I compared D4 with my nex 5R

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-clipboard01.jpg

Congratulations on your camera. I just don't understand why the best cameras miss the slight comforts that user demand (e.g. 180 degree flip LCD in OLY M4/3 cameras).

I would have loved if my nex 5r flash mount was offset by 2 mm so I could flip it up when flash is mounted. Thankfully I can use wifi remote preview.
Old 6th February 2013, 09:40   #809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Congratulations on your camera. I just don't understand why the best cameras miss the slight comforts that user demand (e.g. 180 degree flip LCD in OLY M4/3 cameras).
Thanks mate.

Frankly I dont think these cameras (small MLCs) are designed to be very ergonomic. Probably due to space limitations. The light weight compensates for it.

Less than 24 hours after getting the OM-D, I feel it is light, but cramped. It doesn't match the ergonomics of a big full frame DSLR like the D4. That said, I shouldn't compare my 2 Nikons with the Oly. The Oly's size/ portability, build quality and very good IQ compensate for other deficiencies. Can't have it all I guess. I need to get used to the Oly - buttons, screens etc.

As for the EV - nice. This is only the 2nd EV I have seen, the 1st on a Sony HX series was terrible. But image highlights get blown up in low light as the VF tries to compensate or display the shot as it will be taken. There seem to vertical bars running down the VF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
This is funny, I compared D4 with my nex 5R
To add even more humour add the Canon EOS 1D X. The 1D X is a tad taller than the D4 and looks even bigger.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-camera-sizes.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 6th February 2013 at 09:42.
Old 6th February 2013, 10:19   #810
BANNED

Quote:
Pointing the camera downwards while you change the lens helps a bit. Gravity does its bit there.
But really you never will have to clean the sensor of Oly. I am sure of that.

I usually orchestrate a sequence when changing lenses on my OMD
  1. Look around for jostling elbows and maintain safe distance
  2. Remove body cap and lens (rear) cap and keep ready in palm
  3. Unscrew Lens
  4. Quickly screw in body cap over sensor
  5. Quickly screw in lens caps
  6. Place removed lens in bag.
  7. Extract new lens
  8. Unscrew rear lens cap
  9. Unscrew body cap and hold in palm such that fingers are free
  10. Quickly snap lens into body
Have managed this in somewhat crowded locations like wharf/jetty and gently rocking boat a few times.

By this time usually a moving subject is gone or my amnesia kicks in (what was it that I wanted to shoot again?) and a few minutes later I realize I forgot to take some perspective shots with the earlier lens

My camera has been used on only one trip and I already lost the plastic/rubber mount of the viewfinder and a lens cap. Since my lens bag was a tight fit, the surround of the viewfinder kept coming off every single time I slid the camera out of the bag.

--R

Most Viewed