Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2012, 21:38   #661
BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Can anyone suggest me a good case with which I can carry around my lenses? I'm looking for something that is kind of a pouch that can hold multiple lenses and could be placed easily in my backpack. Soft of a modular lens pouch? Any suggestions?
Old 25th December 2012, 22:22   #662
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Do you know if we can get Panasonic MFT lenses here in India?
I am keeping away from Pany for that reason. Their India website doesn't even list the lenses, how do they plan to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Can anyone suggest me a good case with which I can carry around my lenses? I'm looking for something that is kind of a pouch that can hold multiple lenses and could be placed easily in my backpack. Soft of a modular lens pouch? Any suggestions?
I am able to do exactly that with my Kata DC 435. I carry the camera bag in my backpack all the time.
Old 25th December 2012, 23:33   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
To clarify, I was talking about 50mm reversed on 55mm (kit) vs same 50mm on 100mm or more (720mm equivalent on my fuji HS10).
you should reverse Kit lens keeping at 18 mm over 50mm prime

Simplified approximate math is

Mag = F2 / F1 so it will be 55/50 = 1.1 if you reverse couple 50mm prime with kit lens at 55 mm

Whereas if you reverse couple kit lens at 18mm over 50mm prime
magnification will be 50/18 = 2.7.

however working distance will be very small so a prime reversed over a long telephoto works best lets say 50mm prime over a 200mm telephoto gives 4X mag and good working distance as well.

If working distance is not important just reverse mount a short prime like 28mm.
Old 26th December 2012, 00:16   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am able to do exactly that with my Kata DC 435. I carry the camera bag in my backpack all the time.
That would be a good option, but my rucksack is not that wide enough to hold it. Seems like I do not have much options. However, a camera laptop rucksack looks like a viable option for me.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-32815102.html
Old 26th December 2012, 05:03   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
you should reverse Kit lens keeping at 18 mm over 50mm prime

Simplified approximate math is

Mag = F2 / F1 so it will be 55/50 = 1.1 if you reverse couple 50mm prime with kit lens at 55 mm

Whereas if you reverse couple kit lens at 18mm over 50mm prime
magnification will be 50/18 = 2.7.

however working distance will be very small so a prime reversed over a long telephoto works best lets say 50mm prime over a 200mm telephoto gives 4X mag and good working distance as well.

If working distance is not important just reverse mount a short prime like 28mm.
Yes, right now I am using 50mm reversed on 300mm/720mm. The problem with kit lens is it has no aperture control. so once it's off the camera, the aperture is locked at minimum, not very good for an already light deprived situation. Also, shorter (than ~200mm) focal lengths result in vignetting.

here is a pic of the lens barrel of the kit lens taken with 50mm reversed on 300mm. Resized for posting here.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-dsc03165_3.jpg

this is how it is seen normally

Old 28th December 2012, 15:06   #666
Team-BHP Support

The 45mm F/1.8 is just stunning. The fastest lens I ever owned, very sharp and the bokeh is lovely. Suddenly I am shooting portraits all around.

This is my older son, check the sharpness and bokeh.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-pc280005.jpg
Old 28th December 2012, 15:54   #667
Senior - BHPian

I came across one awesome website which gives you a guideline to estimate the best prime lens suitable for the occasion:
http://www.fredparker.com/vislize.htm

You just require arms and fingers to determine the right lens!
Incidentally, this will also help in choosing which lens to buy ...
Old 28th December 2012, 23:07   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The 45mm F/1.8 is just stunning. The fastest lens I ever owned, very sharp and the bokeh is lovely. Suddenly I am shooting portraits all around.

This is my older son, check the sharpness and bokeh.

Attachment 1031824
The 45mm has to be one of the best lenses I have ever used. With that lens, I know that I have do extremely minimal PP. Mostly just WB correction, re-size and sharpen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I came across one awesome website which gives you a guideline to estimate the best prime lens suitable for the occasion:
http://www.fredparker.com/vislize.htm

You just require arms and fingers to determine the right lens!
Incidentally, this will also help in choosing which lens to buy ...
Thank you thank you thank you so much. I had come across this link couple of years ago and I didn't save it :(. Had been looking for it for a while.

I have been testing an X-Pro1 recently. The AF is much better than what it was in the pre-production model but it's still pretty bad. Especially when compared to the OM-D. But, the IQ is just out of the world and high ISO performance is pretty awesome too. Too bad, Adobe and Fuji haven't come together to build a good RAW converter for X-Trans sensor.

Last edited by HellwratH : 28th December 2012 at 23:08.
Old 31st December 2012, 12:26   #669
BHPian

How could one find the actual focus distance from the subject? Is this mentioned somewhere in the lens? I tried shooting my subject from a particular distance and I found the picture to be sharp when I zoom in the resultant picture. I moved a little farther away and re adjusted the focus and shot the same subject. When I zoomed it in my computer, I found the picture to loose its sharpness. Is there any rationale behind this difference in sharpness to the distance from the subject?
Old 31st December 2012, 15:42   #670
BHPian

Finally I received my camera Olympus E PL5. Initial thoughts, based on 3 hrs of RnD: Impressed with the super fast AF, ease of configuration, art filter. Live view is great, exceeds my expectations even in broad daylight.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121231_153217.png
Views: 425
Size:  541.8 KB
Old 1st January 2013, 11:44   #671
Senior - BHPian

Olympus OM-D EM-5 is THE BEST camera of the year 2012 as per dpreview.com

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-1stplace.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01...f-2012-results

OM-D pipped D800 and 5D-Mark3. Amazing feat.
Old 1st January 2013, 13:10   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Olympus OM-D EM-5 is THE BEST camera of the year 2012 as per dpreview.com

Attachment 1033226

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01...f-2012-results

OM-D pipped D800 and 5D-Mark3. Amazing feat.
It is just based on a user poll rather than any scientific analysis. The award basically says that there are more fans of the OM-D than any other camera released in 2012 (which is kind of true as there is hardly any negative review of this camera). The likes of 5D Mark III or D800/800E are in different league altogether.

Thom Hagen has also conferred his "Serious Camera of the year" award to OM-D. He compared only similar category of cameras (so the likes of Sony Nex-6, Panasonic GH3 etc.)

I think as far as awards are concerned OM-D EM5 will most likely win most of them, wherever it is in the race.
Old 1st January 2013, 13:27   #673
Distinguished - BHPian

My favorite MFT gets the best camera award. Kudos to Olympus.

No mean feat when you consider the kind of competition it is up against especially from full frame bodies. IMO it stands head and shoulders above other MFT bodies.

As joslicx correctly points out this is an unscientific poll. BUT it goes to show how MFT bodies have risen in customers' AKA photographers' awareness - from being thought of as a "dead-on-arrival format", a "flash in the pan" in the years past, to becoming a serious challenger especially to smaller crop APS-C sensor DSLRs.

If there's one camera that broke that acceptance barrier it is the OM-D. And this comes from a person who has always owned and operated full frame film and DSLR cameras.

Thought of buying this camera several times for my wife but decided to wait for the next model due in 2013.

PS - Hope I never get to see this delicious camera in person. I might fall in love - again. I resist the temptation.

Last edited by R2D2 : 1st January 2013 at 13:29.
Old 1st January 2013, 16:29   #674
Senior - BHPian

I knew this would happen.

Agreed, the poll is based on user opinions and not really a technical analysis based. However, overall, most users (outside of this poll) are very much satisfied with OM-D output. I know few non-BHPians who were desperately hunting for SLRs and ended up buying the OM-D. So it sure has hit the right nerve somewhere.
Old 1st January 2013, 23:22   #675
Team-BHP Support

Wowwwwwwwwww!!!

I know it is an unscientific poll and all. Having been in Olympus camp since 1993 starting with a fixed lens SLR (IS-3), I have always been in a minority, always hugely outnumbered by Canon/Nikon users, always questioned on my strange choice, etc.

Therefore, to see an Olympus camera that I own win the popularity contest in the best camera review site is indeed an emotional moment.

Most Viewed