Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2012, 19:37   #646
Senior - BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Reversing the lens while gives you massive magnification, it takes away a lot in DOF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I would love to have a good Macro lens in the 75 to 105mm range and at the moment there is none for Sony NEX.
True, looking at your message again, looks like you want to shoot macros for small object, not microscopic objects (super macro). In that case you will probably need to get a regular lens with macro focusing capability. Reversed lens macro will almost always have very heavy vignetting under 100 mm, and very shallow DOF above that. I am still trying to learn how to best use the focus stack for such images.
Old 30th November 2012, 20:46   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
True, looking at your message again, looks like you want to shoot macros for small object, not microscopic objects (super macro). In that case you will probably need to get a regular lens with macro focusing capability. Reversed lens macro will almost always have very heavy vignetting under 100 mm, and very shallow DOF above that. I am still trying to learn how to best use the focus stack for such images.
Actually, with reversed lens, the magnification increases as you go wider. A 50mm reversed lens will have higher magnification than say 100mm lens.

Also, while we are talking about books, IMO every aspiring photographer should read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-.../dp/0240809343
Old 30th November 2012, 20:53   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Actually, with reversed lens, the magnification increases as you go wider. A 50mm reversed lens will have higher magnification than say 100mm lens.

Also, while we are talking about books, IMO every aspiring photographer should read this:

To clarify, I was talking about 50mm reversed on 55mm (kit) vs same 50mm on 100mm or more (720mm equivalent on my fuji HS10).
Old 1st December 2012, 12:06   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post

As always, a good advice. I would be getting this book. Took a small tour of the book and I liked the contents and the way they are explained.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:56   #650
BHPian

Hi all EVIL owners,

Firstly congrats to Samurai and Vivek for OMD & Nex respectively
I'm looking for buy a mirrorless. I've gone through numerous review videos, posts on various models.
According to your opinion, which is a good camera in market which satisfies my criteria? I prefer one with built-in flash and option view finder will be great.
I'm looking for an intermediate level, will be using kit lens and budget right now is 40K, can extend little if required.

PS: I was in market for t3i. But then, my PS camera SD 850IS went 'out-of-focus'. So compact size, convenience, uniqueness of mirrorless has lured me in.
Old 13th December 2012, 19:32   #651
Senior - BHPian

sony nex, panasonic G and Oly EPL/EPM have disconted their older models heavily. If you can live without newer technologies (e.g. 720P or 1080i vs 1080P, no wifi etc), there are many options, and you can invest on lenses better.

panasonic and Oly have M4/3 sensor while nex has APS C sensor, in almost the same size. but from what I hear the difference in image quality is minimal. And all mirrorless cams have adapters that you can use with older lenses if you are willing to live with manual settings.

Touch screen is something new but very helpful in selecting an area to focus instantly. checkout promo videos of pana G3 on amazon.com.

I would have bought Nex 6 instead of 5R only if it had 180 flip LCD, which would be a great help for self/family portraits. it comes with flash and EVF, but no touch screen.

I think samurai told earlier that only Oly has in-body stabilization, easier if you want to use manual lenses.
Old 15th December 2012, 14:35   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
sony nex, panasonic G and Oly EPL/EPM have disconted their older models heavily. If you can live without newer technologies (e.g. 720P or 1080i vs 1080P, no wifi etc), there are many options, and you can invest on lenses better.

I think samurai told earlier that only Oly has in-body stabilization, easier if you want to use manual lenses.
You are right on Oly's in-body stabilization. After some reading and video reviews, I have shortlisted to these cameras as of now:
Oly E-P3: Initial choice 1st
Nex 5N: Initial choice 2nd.
Oly E PL5: Added as it has got 17MP sensor compared to E P3's 13MP, Tilting LCD, no built in flash though comes in bundle.

What's the opinion on Nikon 1 series J2?
Basically i'll be hovering on above models unless Panasonic/Canon bring in some magic. yes, Panasonic G3/G5 can get a second opinion :-)
Old 17th December 2012, 15:09   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Congrats! Last week, I too finally got the Silver OMD + 45mm f/1.8 and a 9-18mm lens as my starter kit.
--R
Quote:
And so I too became an OM-D owner. I bought it with the 12-50mm lens, but I also have a 9-18mm lens.
Hi Ragul, Samurai

can you please let me know
Hows OM-D image quality & AF in low light, does higher ISO bring in more noise compared to Nex5.
I have almost finalised E PL5, but a friend of mine asked me to ask actual users about their experiences.

Since Samurai already owned a E PL1, one clarification. Does micro 4 thrids find it difficult to focus on low light. and your new OM-D now gives better results?
Highly appreciate your response.
Old 17th December 2012, 17:47   #654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
Since Samurai already owned a E PL1, one clarification. Does micro 4 thrids find it difficult to focus on low light. and your new OM-D now gives better results?
The EPL1 and OM-D cannot be even compared. While EPL1 fails to autofocus in twilight, the OM-D can focus even on dim stars in the night. There is simply no comparison, the OM-D is in a totally different league. Just came back from a trip, with lot of pics from OM-D. Stay tuned.
Old 18th December 2012, 00:36   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Just came back from a trip, with lot of pics from OM-D. Stay tuned.
Cool, I'm already tuned in to this thread :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Camshot is one of THE best camera shops in Pune. I know the owner, Mr. Vaidya, personally and I have always referred this place to people buying a DSLR camera.
Hi Ajay,
I'm looking for E-PL5 and I can see the listing on the website Camshot.in. But price is not mention. Is it possible for you to get any info on it's availability and price range. I've already dropped in a mail to the mailID mentioned in the website.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:29   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post

Hi Ajay,
I'm looking for E-PL5 and I can see the listing on the website Camshot.in. But price is not mention. Is it possible for you to get any info on it's availability and price range. I've already dropped in a mail to the mailID mentioned in the website.
Why don't you directly call on the following numbers? You should get all the info.

Contact Person : Sonali / Nilendra
Cell No : +91 9881496903 / 9822870477
Timings : 10:30 am to 7:00 pm
Old 20th December 2012, 15:50   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Why don't you directly call on the following numbers? You should get all the info.

Contact Person : Sonali / Nilendra
Cell No : +91 9881496903 / 9822870477
Timings : 10:30 am to 7:00 pm
Thanks Ajay,

I mailed them as it was late night :-). Called Nilendra yesterday and he confirmed that it's available and MRP is 40K.

I'll confirm him by today evening or max tomorrow morning, so that I can go and collect it from Pune on Saturday.
Old 20th December 2012, 16:56   #658
Team-BHP Support

After a month long usage, I have decided that I need a fast lens for indoor shooting. Right now I have 12-50mm and 9-18mm lenses, both are slower lenses.

Earlier I was using 9-18mm on the E-PL1 a lot since the kit lens was very average. But now with 12-50mm taking over most of the load, the 9-18mm is getting neglected.

So I have ordered 45mm F/1.8 and will be putting up 9-18m on sale.
Old 20th December 2012, 17:59   #659
Senior - BHPian

Samurai

Do you know if we can get Panasonic MFT lenses here in India? I'd be interested in the 20mm or the Leica 25mm as my primary lens as I shoot indoors most of the time and 12-50 of the OM-D is unimpressive for that kind of usage (it is quite great for movies though). I'd like the 20mm more (it is smaller and is priced well for my wallet). 25mm can be ordered on Amazon but there is a hefty customs tab (about 10k). How I wish someone known was traveling to US!
Old 22nd December 2012, 02:00   #660
BHPian

Finally Ordered Olympus E PL5, Black with Kit lens 14-42mm
Sony Nex5N/5R were close contenders, but they are not available in India. Sony got older Nex 5 and directly the Nex7.

Finalized the deal with Camshot, will get the delivery by 26th. Just waiting to lay my hands on camera.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks