Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:09   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

I have to make an executive decision, since I plan to take many photos in December. Graduation is a once in lifetime event . I can get a 16 mm pancake later.

Interesting bit about EFL though, I just realized these lenses are made for nex format (APS-C sensor). If I was using a full format 16 mm, that would translate to 24 mm (1.5 crop factor) right?

I guess the difference is the back focal distance which would be different for nex vs full format lens.

So a nex 16 mm or full format 16 mm (with increased back focal length) both will give a crop factor of 1.5?
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:33   #497
BHPian

I have committed to myself that I will shoot only manual mode and will not use the zoom even though I have a zoom lens. I wanted to test out my NEX 6 outside, but decided to stay home. At home, I did try to do some shots in the Manual mode. When I took a look at them on my notebook, I'm not quite satisfied with the results. There were a couple of shots out of focus and blurry. I did try to change the settings to maintain the correct exposure. Out of the 30 shots that I took, only seven of them qualify to not to be deleted. What do you guys do when you shoot manual mode? Can you offer some tips and suggestions?
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:48   #498
Team-BHP Support

Nobody uses manual mode all the time. What are you trying to do?

We all use aperture priority most of the time.

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd November 2012 at 19:49.
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:43   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nobody uses manual mode all the time. What are you trying to do?

We all use aperture priority most of the time.
I just wanted to learn shooting in the manual mode by varying all the three parameters, learning at looking at the pictures. Let me know if I could follow any simple rules, ideas when shooting manual mode.
Old 3rd November 2012, 21:07   #500
Senior - BHPian

By choosing one priority, you are having the camera's metering system help you determine everything else for optimal results.

e.g, in fast moving objects, you would be more concerned about speed, so shoot in shutter priority, ditto for long exposures for silky images. For controlling DOF/Bokeh/amount of light, use Aperture priority. If you are not sure/particular about either, shoot in program, and just play with EV for desired brightness. If you plan to use multiple exposures for blending, make sure the focus is locked in MF mode, change EV.

You can do all this manually it's just a lot of unnecessary work. Even small mistakes can result in terribly under/over exposed images. (look who is talking, I am planning to do this lot of work myself, but for different reasons)

Also, as a rule of thumb, under exposure is better than over exposure. can be corrected more easily in PP.

PS: I don't even own a DSLR, so read it with a pinch of salt.
Old 3rd November 2012, 21:10   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I have to make an executive decision, since I plan to take many photos in December. Graduation is a once in lifetime event . I can get a 16 mm pancake later.

Interesting bit about EFL though, I just realized these lenses are made for nex format (APS-C sensor). If I was using a full format 16 mm, that would translate to 24 mm (1.5 crop factor) right?

I guess the difference is the back focal distance which would be different for nex vs full format lens.

So a nex 16 mm or full format 16 mm (with increased back focal length) both will give a crop factor of 1.5?
The graduation is very important, so why not just hire a good FF DSLR and couple of lenses for that day? That'll save you a lot of money and in the mean time you can continue with your research.

The difference between the APS-C lenses and the FF lenses is the size of the image circle. You need a smaller circle to fill the APS-C sensor. But, the notation of focal lengths is almost always in 35mm/FF convention. What I mean is that, if a lens reads 16mm, it's 16mm w.r.to a FF sensor. So, when you need to figure out the EFL for a system, you just multiply the crop factor.
Old 3rd November 2012, 21:21   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
What I mean is that, if a lens reads 16mm, it's 16mm w.r.to a FF sensor.
Thank you, that makes sense! and doesn't, kinda.

Since I am graduating, I will be sitting, and smiling, and having lunch and meeting people and accepting the diploma and what not. So I will probably take some pics and some my wife/friends will. Just need something that performs well indoors, My current fuji HS10 sucks in low light. Of course, the purchase is for further use.
Old 4th November 2012, 11:07   #503
BHPian

Is there a possibility to change the Shutter speed when in Aperture priority mode? I tried playing around shooting in the Aperture priority mode. The Camera gives me a slow shutter speed. With this slow shutter speed, I get blurry images as I don't have a Tripod. I'm not sure if it is even possible to change the shutter speed in the Aperture priority mode. I was able to manipulate the ISO. Will have to consult the use manual for the camera.

Thanks guys for the explanation on shooting Manual mode.
Old 4th November 2012, 11:32   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Is there a possibility to change the Shutter speed when in Aperture priority mode?
No for that you need to shoot in Manual.

or

Try increasing the ISO sensitivity to increase the shutter speed.
Old 4th November 2012, 11:44   #505
BHPian

I understood from the user manuals of my camera that is it not possible to change the shutter speed. The only other control that I have is the ISO.

I thought of sharing my first 2 days of ownership with my NEX 6 and the 16 - 50mm kit lens. So here it goes...

The camera body is polycarbonate and feels light at hand. The grip is enough to make the camera feel comfortable when shooting with just one hand. I've experienced pain in my palm when I used my HX9V. But with the grip on the NEX 6, the pointing finger by default sits atop the shutter button with the rest of the fingers comfortable holding on the grip. This is the best that I liked on this camera. The build quality of the camera is excellent excepting the lens which feels like a cheap plastic. The mode dials (PASM) is a bit tough and needs to be pressed hard (requires two fingers for ease) when steering between modes. I've never used an EFV or an OVF before in any of my Digi cams that I had. With the EVF on my NEX 6, I always want to use it. The colors in the EVF are brilliant. The LCD is big enough but not as big as the one found in the OMD but bigger than the ones on the Fuji X series. I've read about reviews of the NEX 7 where the menu is a bit convoluted. This fortunately is not the case with NEX 6. Thanks to the mode dial that saves a couple of navigation to the already complex menu. I've not tried the in built flash, but it is good that it is there. I liked the AF which looks peppy even under low light conditions. Thankfully, the WiFi on the NEX 6 means I do not have to think about any cable to transfer the images from my camera to my devices. I'm yet to test the WiFi. I have to now think about using the Fn button and program that to useful settings. I can't yet comment on the image quality, but one thing for sure is that the camera does show some noise when going up with the ISO (>6400). The memory card slot is placed at an awkward position. I find it a bit difficult to take it out at times. Overall, I'm enjoying with it.

Last edited by joe1980 : 4th November 2012 at 11:45.
Old 4th November 2012, 11:59   #506
Senior - BHPian

I have a GX1 and the only lens I own as of now is the 14-42 kit lens and I am looking for a few small primes to really move away from the Nikon DSLR travel lens kit that I currently own (18-55 and 55-200, 50 1.8)

Wanted to know if micro 4/3 camera lenses are easily available in India at reasonable prices. I couldn't find them in popular places like Flipkart or the likes. I am looking for Panasonic the 25 1.4 and the 14 2.5.

B&H is listing the 25 1.4 at $499 and the ebay price for 14 2.5 is $170-180 odd. I don't mind paying a little more than this. But not a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SPARKled : 4th November 2012 at 12:02.
Old 4th November 2012, 12:24   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I have a GX1 and the only lens I own as of now is the 14-42 kit lens and I am looking for a few small primes to really move away from the Nikon DSLR travel lens kit that I currently own (18-55 and 55-200, 50 1.8)

Wanted to know if micro 4/3 camera lenses are easily available in India at reasonable prices. I couldn't find them in popular places like Flipkart or the likes. I am looking for Panasonic the 25 1.4 and the 14 2.5.

B&H is listing the 25 1.4 at $499 and the ebay price for 14 2.5 is $170-180 odd. I don't mind paying a little more than this. But not a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Dont know about Panasonic but Olympus ones are available with the likes of jjmehta. I guess they should work well with Panasonic MFTs as well.

By the way, I'm also interested in the PanLeica 25mm for my OM-D. Please share information if you can find it anywhere.
Old 4th November 2012, 12:29   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Dont know about Panasonic but Olympus ones are available with the likes of jjmehta. I guess they should work well with Panasonic MFTs as well.

By the way, I'm also interested in the PanLeica 25mm for my OM-D. Please share information if you can find it anywhere.
Thanks for this info.

The 45 1.8 is another one that I am looking to get and the price at JJ Mehta is really competitive.
Old 4th November 2012, 13:42   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Thanks for this info.

The 45 1.8 is another one that I am looking to get and the price at JJ Mehta is really competitive.
I heard that Panasonic have a 42mm f1.2 in works. Maybe you can wait for that as well.

The Oly lenses do not have OIS as their cameras have that built-in, but the Panasonic lenses have OIS that is useful. Also I find that Panasonic build quality is better (they are all made in Japan while Oly lenses/cameras are made in Thai/China).
Old 6th November 2012, 15:43   #510
Team-BHP Support

I am EVIL!

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-nex5.jpg

I have owned funny stuff.
And I must say, this is among the funny ones. Imagine you buy a Maruti 800, and then fit a 20" tire on it.
It sure looks funny.
It does not have a "permanently attached flash", its a detachable unit, just like external flashes on "normal" cams
It does not even have a viewfinder, like those ultra slim keep in pocket P&S cams which start weeping the moment you cross ISO 200

Its sure is a weird camera. Its think, pocketable, yet not pocketable, because the lens is "big".
And under the hood it carries a sensor similar to my D7000, made by the same company which makes the D7000 sensor.

Its the NEX-5N, and with it I enter the EVIL world.
First of all, I am not throwing my D7000 out of the window.
Not even out of the door. Its is, and will remain my "beloved"

However, what is being thrown out is the FZ-35.
Yes, this is a replacement for the FZ-35. I plan to get an 18-200 lens(Tamron), and this will be my walky.

Why do I need a walky?
Reason is simple. On my D7000 I use a 16-85, + an 8mm fisheye + a 70-300 VR
On travel, its impractical to keep changing lenses.

So if I was the Great Himalayan Griffon, I would whip out my FZ-35.
But I was often too lazy to get rid of the 16-85 attached, on the move.

So now, I can use the NEX-5N.
On the Nikon, I can permanently fix and ultra wide, and all my ultra wide pics will no longer be fishy.

And I can get rid of the 70-300 and go for a 400mm or 500mm prime later, so on "birding" trips, where I know I won't need ultra wide, I can keep the long lens fixed on the D7000.

So same as before I have 2 cams, but I also have more versatility, since now both my cams have almost equal low noise performance, and dynamic range.

However, the NEX-5N was not my first option. I was looking for a body which costs less than 500$, and GX1 was the other prime candidate.

That cam is better for video, but NEX-5N did almost equally good AF during video, and did much better stills(yes, I am a pixel peeper, I need to be).
Moreover, I often tend to do very long high ISO exposures, and now I have 2 cams capable of that.

So here it is, I am using EVIL.
I have taken some test shots, and I find no reason to be dissapointed. Image quality even at high ISO is great, as expected(after all its like my D7000).

However, there are quirks
There is no Eye-Viewfinder. Only the screen. And that is a little "odd" for me.
The interface is a little quirky(soft touch screen and soft buttons and what not). I was annoyed at first, but then discovered "soft" and custom buttons, and I am happy now.
The MF "peaking" feature is "rocking". I have never used a camera with focus peaking, and I must say, this feature should be there in every cam.

So overall I am happy. I have not taken it on a shooting trip, but will do it very soon.
I have told myself that I would not spend a lot more than what I get from selling my 16-85, but I know, I am going to break promises here. I always end up overspending, and wondering why.

EVILs and DSLRs are both money pits, and I am quite shocked by the lens price of 18-200 from Tamron(Though the sharpness and clarity of that lens rivals L equivalent on Canon platform).

Speaking of comparisons, lenses for EVILs are expensive, but optical quality of most EVIL lenses touches that of the high end lenses from Nikon and Canon. Have pixel peeped on many platforms to observe this.

Something tells me, this will become my de facto landscape lens, with Nikon doing ultra wide duty and fishy stuff. When I win a lottery, Nikon can do "super telephoto duty".

NEX-5 can never do super telephoto without a tripod, unless you have superman super steady arms. An Eye level viewfinder is a must for this job.

But as a walkabout, its going to be my primary shooter, and I guess no missed shots because I was too lazy to change lens!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks