Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2012, 19:12   #346
BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

After long deliberations between Pentax K-5, K-01, and NEX systems, finally bought NEX-5N. It arrived this morning and am too excited to try my hands on it.

P.S.: K-5 shouldn't belong to this comparison but @950USD was very tempting. I will try and post a couple of shots here from the NEX 5N (and the kit lens)
Old 21st May 2012, 14:50   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
After long deliberations between Pentax K-5, K-01, and NEX systems, finally bought NEX-5N. It arrived this morning and am too excited to try my hands on it.

P.S.: K-5 shouldn't belong to this comparison but @950USD was very tempting. I will try and post a couple of shots here from the NEX 5N (and the kit lens)
The 5N is a highly respected camera and I am curious to see the results. Did you get any adapters to use the old lenses?

Anyway, here's the big news. Panasonic has finally released 12-35 f2.8 OIS lens. So far the reviews have been pretty great. The downside is the price ofcourse, but looks like it will be worth it. Here's a review:

Panasonic Lumix G X VARIO 12-35mm f/2.8 Lens Review

Good to see Panasonic releasing some serious glass for this system. That's where other systems are getting beat. Way to go micro four thirds!
Old 21st May 2012, 15:34   #348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Anyway, here's the big news. Panasonic has finally released 12-35 f2.8 OIS lens.
Ah! Finally a fast zoom lens starting at 12mm (24mm EFL). I have been waiting for it since the EVIL practices began. Some said it won't even happen.

Anyway, now to wait for the price to drop.
Old 21st May 2012, 15:47   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ah! Finally a fast zoom lens starting at 12mm (24mm EFL). I have been waiting for it since the EVIL practices began. Some said it won't even happen.

Anyway, now to wait for the price to drop.
Yep, now waiting for the other lenses, the 35-100 f2.8 lens and the Olympus 75mm f1.8(?). Sony has released another body Nex-F3 and a generic 18-200 lens. I guess, the sony camp is not that happy about sony's progress.

Along with the price fall in this lens, I am waiting for the OM-D prices to go down a bit. And I keep hoping that someone will hack it and give the focus peaking option. Not like I miss it right now, but it would be of tremendous help for close up work.
Old 21st May 2012, 16:00   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Along with the price fall in this lens, I am waiting for the OM-D prices to go down a bit. And I keep hoping that someone will hack it and give the focus peaking option.
Trust me, it is an Olympus. That means it will drop $200 after 6 months, and may be another $100 in a year. Even the kinks will be worked out by then, say by software updates. That is the right time to buy it.
Old 21st May 2012, 21:38   #351
BHPian

Quote:
The 5N is a highly respected camera and I am curious to see the results. Did you get any adapters to use the old lenses?
So far only the kit lense. No adapters and no additional lenses.

I briefly shot with the camera at a birthday party. The results were good but as I am still exploring the sweet spots with aperture, focal length and other settings, nothing great to take home.

I am travelling this week and will take some pictures. Will update after that.
Old 28th May 2012, 09:24   #352
BHPian

Just bought the out-of-production Sony NEX-3K with 18-55 lens kit for about 18K. I thought it was a good deal for that price!

I am a rank amateur, but definitely would say that low light photographs have been super in this. Autofocus is slow, pics with fast moving kids is a little painful. The intelligent auto mode is pretty good. The exposure info it gives is helping me learn the ropes. Looking forward to my venture into DSLRs.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:02   #353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's a crazy price and it's the price on the box. I saw the OM-D and got a quote of 59k+ (body only) at Fotocircle and 66k+ (for body and lens). Plus, the rupee killing it right now. Their prices fluctuate according to that. Eventually, I think the price will hit 50k or lower (body only), if the rupee falls below 50.
Given the dollar price, that is not too bad.

OM-D is weather sealed. That means a lot to me since I use E3 in rain & dusty conditions. But I am not in a hurry knowing the price dropping habit of Olympus. Besides, I need a fast zoom, can't abide with 12-50mm F/3.5-6.3 lens. The Panasonic 12-35mm F/2.8 is too expensive.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:13   #354
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
Just bought the out-of-production Sony NEX-3K with 18-55 lens kit for about 18K. I thought it was a good deal for that price!

I am a rank amateur, but definitely would say that low light photographs have been super in this. Autofocus is slow, pics with fast moving kids is a little painful. The intelligent auto mode is pretty good. The exposure info it gives is helping me learn the ropes. Looking forward to my venture into DSLRs.
Congrats! Where did you buy it? I did not find a single stock of NEX-5 at various stores. Didn't want to buy online since I wanted to feel the camera.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:16   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Congrats! Where did you buy it? I did not find a single stock of NEX-5 at various stores. Didn't want to buy online since I wanted to feel the camera.
Thanks! I bought the last piece at Chroma, bannerghatta road. I think other Chroma branches may have more. You can walk into any store and ask for their stock updates at other stores, they can order it for you. I think you also can try at the smaller store chains like Pai, VGP etc. The Reliance or Sony stores do not have them.
Old 28th May 2012, 23:25   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Given the dollar price, that is not too bad.

OM-D is weather sealed. That means a lot to me since I use E3 in rain & dusty conditions. But I am not in a hurry knowing the price dropping habit of Olympus. Besides, I need a fast zoom, can't abide with 12-50mm F/3.5-6.3 lens. The Panasonic 12-35mm F/2.8 is too expensive.
Same here. I am not in a hurry and will wait for a while. I don't use the camera in adverse conditions, so I think I'll pass up on the weather sealed 12-50. But, I might decide to sell the 14-45mm and get the 9-18mm. I got some nice 52mm filters and 9-18mm takes those. Let's see when I can get my hands on that one.
Old 5th June 2012, 23:26   #357
BHPian

Quote:
And I kept mine because I couldn't sell it even at for 15k. :-)
I bought my EPL1 for around that much from a BHPian last September and I feel it was a very reasonable price considering how it's a major improvement over a point-and-shoot. Those who are used to a DSLR might scoff of course, but I feel the slightly smaller sensor and loss in IQ is a worthwhile tradeoff when you consider how compact the camera is.

I just ordered the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake lens and I'm waiting to see if it enhances low-light performance as dramatically as reviewers claim. Since this lens costs more than the current price of a new EPL1 with kit lens, I decided not to skimp on the accessories and also ordered a B+W multicoated UV filter for (gulp!) $38.

Last edited by Edsel Rulez! : 5th June 2012 at 23:31.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:53   #358
BHPian

I am not able to understand the price difference between OM-D body-only and the kit option. The difference is only about 10k whereas the 12-50 lens goes for $500 standalone and for about $300 as part of the kit in the US. Seems like a good deal.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:58   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
I bought my EPL1 for around that much from a BHPian last September and I feel it was a very reasonable price considering how it's a major improvement over a point-and-shoot. Those who are used to a DSLR might scoff of course, but I feel the slightly smaller sensor and loss in IQ is a worthwhile tradeoff when you consider how compact the camera is.

I just ordered the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake lens and I'm waiting to see if it enhances low-light performance as dramatically as reviewers claim. Since this lens costs more than the current price of a new EPL1 with kit lens, I decided not to skimp on the accessories and also ordered a B+W multicoated UV filter for (gulp!) $38.
Where did you order it?
Amazon? Or Indian sites are selling it? I was unable to find a single website where this was listed.
And if its amazon what is the final price you are paying for it?

Also experts:
Where I can get Nikon M4/3 adapters in India?
I am planning to take that el-cheapo 50mm F1.8 prime lens of Nikon which is retailing at around 6k.
Planning to mount it on my EPL-1.
Old 13th June 2012, 01:39   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Where did you order it? Amazon? Or Indian sites are selling it? I was unable to find a single website where this was listed. And if its amazon what is the final price you are paying for it?
I bought it on amazon.com for $399. The price fluctuates between $359 and as much as $500+ depending on the current availability, but I had a certain deadline (I had to ship it to someone returning from the US) and didn't want to wait and see if the price will fall further. At Rs 22000 it's a pretty pricey purchase, but I'm hoping it will live up to the hype. I plan to make this my main lens. Just received it a week ago; I haven't managed to use it properly so far (except for some test shots).

Last edited by Edsel Rulez! : 13th June 2012 at 01:41. Reason: Corrected typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks