Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 17:07   #211
BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Some snaps I took with the Nex 5 with a reverse adapter, using the kit lens. These are computer components...
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-fhfumh.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-xhmxuh.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-x8l16h.jpg  

Old 15th June 2011, 17:20   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
Any Idea on the performance of Sony NEX 5 model, i visited Reliance Digital and the sales guy over there told me that it is a professional camera, looks cute but will it equal a DSLR camera ?

Could you clarify the phrase in bold?
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:51   #213
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Am a newbie in this field, so please excuse if this sounds dumb. Need your help in selecting an entry level camera. How would you rate the Sony NEX-5? Any alternatives? The reason I liked the NEX-5 was for its compact size. Haven't done my due diligence yet but would appreciate some pointers from a beginner's perspective.

TIA!
Old 23rd June 2011, 22:07   #214
BHPian

Pentax releases the smallest mirror-less interchangeable lens camera.

Pentax Q small-sensor mirrorless camera announced and previewed: Digital Photography Review
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:03   #215
Team-BHP Support

Frankly, the Pentax Q doesn't deserve to be in this thread. Well, technically it will qualify since it an EVIL camera. But unlike the EVIL cameras until this day, the Pentax Q doesn't have a dSLR sized sensor.

The 4/3 format and m4/3 format use the same sensor.

The PentaxQ on the other hand uses a sensor that is 1/13th the size of a APS-C sensor. Basically it muddles the current classification of EVIL cameras.

EVIL was supposed to be dSLR quality camera in a small package. The PentaxQ on the other hand is a P&S quality camera which can switch lenses.

The real funny part, it is priced above E-PL1 and NEX-5!!!
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 00:48   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
Any Idea on the performance of Sony NEX 5 model, i visited Reliance Digital and the sales guy over there told me that it is a professional camera, looks cute but will it equal a DSLR camera ?
In terms of image quality, yes. In terms of auto-focus performance, no.

The NEX-5 uses an APS-C sized sensor, the same as Sony's A390(?) DSLR. In essence, the NEX-5 (and NEX-3, as well as similar cameras collectively called EVIL or MILC ) and so have the same image quality, but they lack an optical viewfinder , and use contrast-detect auto-focus which is a little slower than phase-detect used in DSLRs when not using Live View.

Where this would be important is when you need fast focus, like for action and wildlife. For urban/street photography where you want to shoot static objects, people and landscapes, they work just fine. There are other differences compared to DSLRs, but for casual shooting they're not important. Advanced/professional shooters will almost always prefer a DSLR except when compactness is most important and do not mind sacrificing some images or image quality under some situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Folks,

Am a newbie in this field, so please excuse if this sounds dumb. Need your help in selecting an entry level camera. How would you rate the Sony NEX-5? Any alternatives? The reason I liked the NEX-5 was for its compact size. Haven't done my due diligence yet but would appreciate some pointers from a beginner's perspective.

TIA!
The compactness of this class of camera is the USP! They stand about equal to DLSRs in image quality for general/casual use, where DSLRs have an advantage is focus speed for action shots. You can think of NEX-5/3 as a DSLR without the bulk, fewer manual controls and advanced features. What suits you more, a DSLR or an EVIL, depends on what you sort of shooting you do.

If you are a casual photographer and mainly intend to shoot people, still subjects and do not want the bother of bulk/weight of a DSLR, the NEX or such EVIL cameras are for you , when you want DSLR level quality images which premium compacts cannot match. But if you need to shoot sports or wildlife/birds, DSLRs are better because they focus faster ( using phase detect AF, the NEX uses contrast detect AF which is slower) and handle better with telephoto lenses. Such cameras are meant for small lenses, putting large telephotos defeats the purpose of a compact body.

EDIT : a little off-topic , but reading the post about what equipment pros should use reminded of a video I saw few weeks ago, about a wedding photographer sued for poor performance.

Last edited by Samurai : 27th June 2011 at 23:40.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 10:30   #217
BHPian

It seems that the Sony NEX-3k and NEX-5k ares now available at reduced prices, I was just browsing when I came across this wonderful news:

Flipkart.com: Sony NEX-3K body with 18-55mm lens: Camera

Again, this is cheaper than in US, I wonder how? Is it because the flash is not included in this package?

I just realized that this may be because the NEX-7k has also been released (main features I found from SONY websote: 24.3MP, up to 10 fps shooting, AVCHD™ 1080/60p/60i/24p HD movies, APS-C size HD image sensor, Sweep Panorama, Auto HDR, Tru-Finder™ OLED electronic viewfinder, E-mount 18-55mm lens), but its insanely priced at USD 1350!

Last edited by wanderlust : 15th September 2011 at 10:38. Reason: add more info.
Old 21st September 2011, 10:55   #218
Senior - BHPian

And finally Nikon jumps in the fray with its own offering.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Advanced Camera with Interchangeable Lens

Say hello to Nikon 1 J1 and Nikon 1 V1.
Old 21st September 2011, 11:32   #219
Team-BHP Support

You should look at DPreview site to get the full info. Nikon site gives only promotional stuff.

Nikon announces Nikon 1 system with V1 small sensor mirrorless camera: Digital Photography Review

The EVIL offer from Nikon has a much smaller sensor, 13.2mm x 8.8mm which gives a crop factor 2.7x compared to FF. That's smaller than both NEX and m4/3 system. Looks like Nikon doesn't want their EVIL camera cannibalize their dSLR sales, which has happened with Olympus and Sony. Lenses are again a let down. I wonder when they will offer fast lenses in EVIL.

At least the Nikon fans can't get into sensor size pissing contest with the current EVIL camera market leaders. Wonder what Canon will do now...

Last edited by Samurai : 21st September 2011 at 11:34.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:27   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Navin da, I am yet to find the answers for all three Ws ... But one thing is clear to me, I will be happy with a 20mm, 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 and a 100mm 2.8 (FX equivalent).

Sony NEX-7 looks really neat and feature packed. ...Pro quality lenses are not in the wish list anyway.

I will be printing a lot of wall paper kind images...
Shajufx, you seem to have more clarity in what your phtographic needs are than you give yourself credit for.

You will never find one camera-lens system that will cover 100% of your needs. Aim for 90% and let the other 10% sort itself out. Things evolve.
Old 5th October 2011, 13:44   #221
Senior - BHPian

Wish Nikon had stuck to the DX format sensor for it's EVILs. However, I really do not care as I would never go there in the newer future. J1/V1 - these look like cell phones.
Old 7th October 2011, 12:36   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If they come out with some killer fast lenses for m4/3, then their strangle hold on EVIL market share would be unbeatable. Right now anything can happen in the EVIL market.
AFAIK Nokton 25mm f0.95 is available in M43 mount. In FF terms about f1.8ish, not sure if anything faster is available for M43.
Old 7th October 2011, 12:57   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
AFAIK Nokton 25mm f0.95 is available in M43 mount. In FF terms about f1.8ish, not sure if anything faster is available for M43.
That is a prime lens and 50mm EFL. I need 24-100mm EFL zoom lens for my kind of use. My primary 4/3 lens is 12-60mm F/2.8-4L (24-120 EFL), I need that kind of lens in m4/3.
Old 7th October 2011, 21:03   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
Just so that I understand this concept (as I have seen this effective aperture concept before), the light hitting the sensor will still remain the same as if the aperture is 0.95 but DOF would be that of 1.8, right? Essentially, if I were to use this lens on an FF sensor and on a m4/3rds sensor, the shutter speed would remain same but the DOF would be different?
Old 8th October 2011, 14:10   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is a prime lens and 50mm EFL. I need 24-100mm EFL zoom lens for my kind of use. My primary 4/3 lens is 12-60mm F/2.8-4L (24-120 EFL), I need that kind of lens in m4/3.
Its highly unlikely anyone will relase fast zooms for M43, even if someone does, at most it will be f2.8 which will give DOF of f5.6 in FF terms, also lenses will be quite heavy, granted not as much as FF f2.8 zooms but still reasonably heavy. Even zooms for Crop factor aren't light (ie Nikkor 17-55 f2.8 DX).

Kinda defeats the purpose of having M43 setup. I doubt there will ever be a fast wide zoom for M43.

Also, I reckon except Nikon/Pentax no one else got EVIL cameras right and both Nikon/Pentax will sell boat loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Just so that I understand this concept (as I have seen this effective aperture concept before), the light hitting the sensor will still remain the same as if the aperture is 0.95 but DOF would be that of 1.8, right? Essentially, if I were to use this lens on an FF sensor and on a m4/3rds sensor, the shutter speed would remain same but the DOF would be different?
Pretty much. DOF is inversely proportional to the Sensor size. As Sensor size increases, DOF decreases, on the same side this doesn't hold true for product shots taken with View Camera or Monorail camera.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks