Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2012, 21:22   #451
BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats! After selling 3 of my 4/3 lenses, I too have the funds for OM-D E-M5.

I am just waiting for some other things (unrelated to photography) to settle down. BTW, is there a price drop considering dollar has dropped against rupee?
A friend got an OM-D kit from Jayesh for 69k today. Not sure about the body only price and I am not sure how much of his negotiating skills were involved. Will update you once I get more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I think OMD EM5 and panasonic GH3 fall in the same category. But GH3 has many other advantages like fully articulating LCD, a lot of movie controls etc.

But I might settle for it's cheaper sibling G5, at half the price. Still debating between GH3, G5, and G3 (even cheaper alternative).

To think of it, I started my research with EPL1 at USD ~270

I am graduating in december and probably can wait for another month hoping the prices come down a little bit.
G5 is a capable camera but the sensor still lags. If you want performance, I'd suggest E-PL5 (same sony sensor as OM-D), the only downside is the lack of EVF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Yesterday, had ordered Nex-5NK/B and transcend 32 GB class 10 SD card for around $513/- from Amazon. It will be delivered today.

Please suggest/advise me on 50mm prime lens for E-Mount.
Awesome camera, congratulations. The 50mm is a no brainer as a good portrait lens. The 5N is a much better camera for adapting old lenses than Nex-7, so start looking at adapters and old lenses.
Old 18th October 2012, 23:36   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Thanks. Are there any, currently available from other brands?

How is the kit lens for everyday photography?
Sigma has a 30mm for E mount that you can use on your NEX.

Kit lens, by definition, is very good for general use. Its for specific uses (like low light or portraits or tele etc) you need special (read better) lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
A friend got an OM-D kit from Jayesh for 69k today. Not sure about the body only price and I am not sure how much of his negotiating skills were involved. Will update you once I get more details.
Hi HellwratH, could you tell who Jayesh is? 69k seems better than zoomin's price.
i also saw 67.5k on infibeam offered by one dealer (Hotspot). I am just scared of making a purchase there as there are lot of negative reviews of infibeam.

Last edited by joslicx : 18th October 2012 at 23:39.
Old 18th October 2012, 23:44   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Hi HellwratH, could you tell who Jayesh is? 69k seems better than zoomin's price.
i also saw 67.5k on infibeam offered by one dealer (Hotspot). I am just scared of making a purchase there as there are lot of negative reviews of infibeam.
Jayesh Mehta is the person who owns Foto Circle. He has two shops, one at Anand Rao circle and the other at Koramangala. I don't have his number handy but you can google for it.

Samurai,
Spoke to that friend and unfortunately he didn't enquire the body only price. It seems Olympus is not keeping up with supply. The demand seems pretty huge and Jayesh isn't getting enough bodies (or so he says). Looks like Olympus in India didn't expect such demand for the OM-D.
Old 19th October 2012, 14:49   #454
Senior - BHPian

How good is shopping on Indiaplaza?

There is an instant cashback offer of 9200 and the final price for the OM-D with kit lens (12-50) is 66k. That is the best price I can see anywhere. fotocircle have offered 69.75k for the kit here in Bangalore.
Old 19th October 2012, 17:35   #455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Samurai,
Spoke to that friend and unfortunately he didn't enquire the body only price. It seems Olympus is not keeping up with supply. The demand seems pretty huge and Jayesh isn't getting enough bodies (or so he says). Looks like Olympus in India didn't expect such demand for the OM-D.
I am not looking at body only option. I prefer to buy it with kit lens this time.The 9-18mm is quite limiting as the sole lens.
Old 19th October 2012, 17:43   #456
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How good is shopping on Indiaplaza?

There is an instant cashback offer of 9200 and the final price for the OM-D with kit lens (12-50) is 66k. That is the best price I can see anywhere. fotocircle have offered 69.75k for the kit here in Bangalore.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ndiaplaza.html
Old 19th October 2012, 17:52   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not looking at body only option. I prefer to buy it with kit lens this time.The 9-18mm is quite limiting as the sole lens.
Thanks Eddy,

I took the plunge and have placed an order on zoomin for the OM-D!! Cost me 71k with the 5k coupon they had sent me.

I thought about going to fotocircle (as their offer was 69.75k) but in the end decided to stick with zoomin. They have pretty good service and am assured of quality goods (plus could use my credit card which means cash back for the points accrued in this transaction).

Cant wait now to lay my hands on it now.
Old 20th October 2012, 08:16   #458
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has experience of buying from ebay dealer electrovision? His price is least of all guys in market.
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:16   #459
Senior - BHPian

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/syste...ndability.html

the wifi controls seem to be very interesting, I always wanted a remote zoom. Live preview is bonus.

I think now I know what camera I want
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:54   #460
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think OMD EM5 and panasonic GH3 fall in the same category. But GH3 has many other advantages like fully articulating LCD, a lot of movie controls etc.
But GH3 is significantly more expensive. You can get OM-D with kit lens at $1299. But the GH3 body itself costs $1299 and then what lens are you considering?

Everytime a Pansonic m4/3 got me interested, the price sobered me down.
Old 22nd October 2012, 21:06   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But GH3 is significantly more expensive. You can get OM-D with kit lens at $1299. But the GH3 body itself costs $1299 and then what lens are you considering?

Everytime a Pansonic m4/3 got me interested, the price sobered me down.
I know, and I should have known better

I have my mind set on 14-42 G X lens which is much thinner than regular 14-42 lens. and it's powered zoom so I am hoping remote zooming works on it. The regular 14-42 is 115 on amazon (kit lens for G5).

The total price will hit about 1600. G5 was my most VFM choice so far (699), but the kit lens is a bad combo. with a remote controller, it would serve my purpose reasonably well though. but just can't get the live preview and remote zoom out of my head. Mostly for self/family portraits and candid moments at events.

EDIT: Prime, macro and long lenses will come much later, If I end up splurging on this body.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 22nd October 2012 at 21:07.
Old 22nd October 2012, 23:39   #462
Senior - BHPian

Got my OM-D today

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-imag0726111.jpg

Cost me 71k including shipping. Bought it off zoomin. They threw a 8GB Sandisk 30MB/s SD card in which should be sufficient for me. That saved me about Rs 650 that I had earmarked for the SD card. Also they threw in a free mug and a free flipbook (36 pics). I had ordered on Friday and received the unit via Fedex today morning! Amazing service. Highly satisfied customer.

Initial impressions of the camera:
1. Feels amazingly built. Very solid. very small too!!
2. Viewfinder is just amazing. Very crisp and clear. Far better than those of DSLRs that I had tried so far (D5100, D7000, EOS 550D etc)
3. Battery seems prehistoric! In these times of lean mean looks it is a fatboy.
4. Lens not only looks quality but feels quality too. Yet to understand all its functions as it has macro mode as well.
5. Camera came with v1.1 firmware. updated to v1.5. Dont know what are the benefits but there must be some as it is a update

Now will take a few days off during the festivals and see if I can click a few pics with it.
Old 22nd October 2012, 23:42   #463
Team-BHP Support

Congrats joslicx! Exactly how small is it?

Quote:
The total price will hit about 1600.
For $1600 you still won't have IS, something most P&S have.

While OM-D gives 5-axis IS for any lens.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd October 2012 at 00:05.
Old 23rd October 2012, 05:21   #464
Senior - BHPian

I guess I will have to live with in-lens IS, hence opting for G X lens (mega OIS).
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:12   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Got my OM-D today
Congrats!! Welcome to the OM-D Club,
soon you will find this is a heck of a camera!! Dynamic Range is best in class. ISO is always one stop down.

I got a silver from jayesh., with 14-42 Lens, didnt pick the 12-50 Lens. 8GB card if offered free from Oly. Also a carry case.

Enjoy shooting and look forward for your pictures.

Quote:
Exactly how small is it?
It is small enough to carry every where with ease, but big enough to fit in my gargantuan hand. (i wear 11 no. shoes and have equally sized hands )

Waiting to pick on 45mm Lens on this One!!

Last edited by groom : 23rd October 2012 at 08:13. Reason: spelling mishtakke

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks