Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2012, 10:47   #481
BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Availability of Nex 6 with the new lens is november, for nex 5r it's january. the lens is still in works it seems. I would have taken nex 6 if it had touch screen and fully tiltable lcd for self portraits.

I have pre-ordered nex 5R with the new lens. if it doesn't arrive by mid dec, i might have to jump ships.
NEX 6 is already in stock at the Sony store Canada.

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ntifier=S_NEX6

Looks like even the 5R is in stock. Just checked the Sony USA, and seems like the 5R is already shipping.

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ntifier=S_NEX5

Sony claims that because there is the EVF, they did not include the touch screen on the NEX 6. I have been following all the news about the NEX 6 since its announcement at the Photokina. The Sony website said that NEX 6 has a touch screen. There were a lot of confusions as some websites claimed the NEX 6 had a touch screen and some others contradicted this fact. In the end Sony had to correct their statement and it turned out that there is no touch screen with the NEX 6. I did pre order the NEX 6. I will be getting it this November with the Kit lens.
Old 27th October 2012, 21:08   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh boy, that lens suddenly makes the NEX system very interesting. Finally NEX system has the lens that can challenge the 12-50mm from Olympus.

Those folks who have shot fullframe dSLR with Canon 24-105mm or Nikon 24-85mm lens, know the walkaround capability of the combo. The standard zoom lens starting at 24mm EFL can handle 90% of needs of a regular photographer.

I had found such lens in 4/3 with Zuiko 12-60mm, the finest lens I ever owned. It got sold like hot cake when I put it up for sale on Amazon. But finding something closer was a challenge in m4/3. Eventually Olympus came out with the practical 12-50mm (EFL 24-100mm). I could never get interested in NEX because it had no such lens. But, now there is... and it is so small compared to the similar Olympus lens.

Attachment 1005636 Attachment 1005637

Why is the Olympus lens 3 times longer than the similar Sony lens?
Nex is a pretty good system. I have been using a Nex-5 for a while and I like it but not more than my OM-D . Somehow, the Nex system doesn't feel right in my hands. I know it's very subjective, so you might have a different experience with it. BTW, focus peaking can now be done with OM-D too, more at the end of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Ok I tried to test the IS effect myself today. Took two pictues at identical position and camera settings one with IS off and other with max IS applied.

Here are the results (100% crops):

With maximum IS (5 axis in case of the OM-D)
Attachment 1005679

With IS Off
Attachment 1005680

Camera settings:
50mm (using kit 12-50 lens), 1/30, f6.3, ISO 3200, flash off.

Clearly IS works. Sorry for the poor images. I am just a beginner at the moment and it was kind of first attempt at manual settings.
You gotta push it harder!! You'll get blur free images at 1/4s to 1/2s as well. And the best part is it works with MF lenses and video, but you'd have to key in the FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am planning to sell of the FZ-35, and get an EVIL to complement my D7000.
Often, out of lack of time, lazinesss or whatever, I do not put any other lens on D7000 except the 16-85, thus I often miss shots. Having an EVIL with 28-80 (equiv) kind of zoom attached would be great.

Also, D7000 video AF is hopeless. EVILs do video better since contrast detect is their bread and butter.

Price : Under 500$

Options
1. Panasonic GX1
Pro - Class leading video
Con - Dynamic range and image quality is not too great(though not bad either)
2. NEX 5N
Pro - Image quality, dynamic range, low light capability
Con - With 18-55 kit lens its little bulky. Not sure about video AF, No ViewFinder, have to shoot with screen only.

What do you guys suggest in this price bracket? I am gravitating towards 5N because it has the same sensor as D7000, and I am extremely happy with dynamic range and image quality provided by the d7000

Also what about E-PM2. ITs slightly above my budget, but if its the same sensor as OM, then its quite good

If you're okay not having an EVF, I'd say go for the Nex-5n. I have see so many images made with this camera that it blows me away with its DR. And right now it's available very cheap and seems like a pretty good backup body. You can try the Nex C3 too, you might get it cheaper than the 5N.

And the good news for OM-D and other Olympus camera users. You can do a work-around of focus peaking with MF lenses using the following method:

http://www.mu-43.com/f92/focus-peaki...-d-e-m5-35442/
Old 27th October 2012, 22:47   #483
Senior - BHPian

Somehow Nex ergonomics is a love hate affair. Either you love it or hate it. More than anything else, Nex ergonomics was the reason I started looking for a micro 4/3 camera as my travel camera holiday camera when I am not birding or when I am not on a safari. Wildlife and birding IMHO is one area where, micro 4/3 will never catch a full fledged DSLR system at least in the near future. So I guess people like me still have to haul those big huge F4 and F2.8 lenses for birding and wild life.
Old 27th October 2012, 23:19   #484
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I am not sure if this was already published.

Sony NEX-7 now available in India @ 79,990/- with 18-55 kit lens.

IMO, this adds a lot to the confusion. At 80k price range, the options in DX format cameras are D7000, 60D and Aplha A77. It will be difficult to narrow down .
I was browsing camera OEM sites, and the price of the NEX-7 surprised me too. Isn't this the same 24MP sensor used in the D3200 ? That with 18-55 kit lens retails for 36k , while the NEX-7 with 18-55 kit is 79.9k - sure it has much better video, probably better frame rate and lots of processing/mode options in-built , but 2x the price ? What is Sony thinking ? I think the A77 is a bit cheaper than this. The NEX3 and NEX5 are 19k and 24k respectively, so that's a huge price to command for the NEX7. BTW, Sony's site is a mess - the pages for DSLTs seem to have vanished when I re-visited two days later and the NEX lenses page too was empty. Sony packing up high end camera operations from India ?

I also looked up Olympus India site, looking at the lenses the prices didn't seem all that affordable, and there aren't even that many fast lenses. I downloaded and views sample images from the same, and the images look rather noisy and lacking fine detail to me. I haven't been looking up 4/3s and NEXs , EVILs in general until now , so it seems surprising that people say the IQ of the 4/3s are right up there. The samples I see show otherwise - some were quite good, the portraits - but in some, noise including chroma noise, softness was quite noticeable, even one shot in bright daylight has low detail resolution as 100% .
Old 28th October 2012, 00:14   #485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I also looked up Olympus India site, looking at the lenses the prices didn't seem all that affordable, and there aren't even that many fast lenses. I downloaded and views sample images from the same, and the images look rather noisy and lacking fine detail to me. I haven't been looking up 4/3s and NEXs , EVILs in general until now , so it seems surprising that people say the IQ of the 4/3s are right up there. The samples I see show otherwise - some were quite good, the portraits - but in some, noise including chroma noise, softness was quite noticeable, even one shot in bright daylight has low detail resolution as 100% .
Don't go by Olympus site for samples. Check dpreview instead: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/23
Old 28th October 2012, 00:45   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Don't go by Olympus site for samples. Check dpreview instead: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/23
OK, did have a brief look at the RAW page comparison, OM-D EM5 vs Nikon D7000 vs NEX7 vs A77 , surprisingly the Sony images at 1600 are noisier. DPReview's photos make the EM5 look very close , maybe I'll look up Cameralabs and other sources as well. Still not bad at all, the resolution as low ISO seems better than the Nikon D7000 crop, or maybe it's more sharpened.

The Panasonic GH3 is a big 4/3 - bigger than some , entry level APS-C DSLRs, and about as big as D90. Hardly any gain realized for those seeking compact dimensions.

Last edited by Ricci : 28th October 2012 at 00:49.
Old 28th October 2012, 18:51   #487
BHPian

Take a look at this page at Amazon. It claims that the NEX 6 has a touch screen.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Compact-I.../dp/B0096W1OCG

It would be interesting to know if the final production version of the NEX 6 would have this touch screen capability. It is no wonder that there are not so many reviews on the Sony NEX 6 as of now, provided that the release date is scheduled for November. Even Steve (stevehuffphoto.com) is yet to provide his full review on the NEX 6.
Old 28th October 2012, 19:53   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
How much did you pay for it combined? I too had planned for it then decided on body+9-18mm as stock lens and the 45mm. Presently waiting for silver body to arrive before the final round of haggling begins.

--R
72K,
silver body, 14-42 lens, 8gb card, UV filter, Olympus carry case.

btw, how much you paid for the 45mm, & frm where.
You have the lens and waiting for the body ?
Old 30th October 2012, 23:14   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Did not see this thread till now, just made this post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...hread-723.html

So I've just bought the Olympus OM-DE-M5

Very pleased with it!

Jeroen
Old 31st October 2012, 00:23   #490
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
72K,
silver body, 14-42 lens, 8gb card, UV filter, Olympus carry case.

btw, how much you paid for the 45mm, & frm where.
You have the lens and waiting for the body ?
Yet to buy it as silver body is not in stock with fotocircle and have been too lazy to go to other camera stores. Will checkout other shops next weekend.

The 45mm was quoted at 18K BTW.

--R
Old 2nd November 2012, 18:31   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is not a EVIL specific question, but, should I wait till January to get the power zoom lens (16-50) with NEX 5R? Right now it's only available with manual zoom lens (18-55). I kinda like manual zoom, but it's not smooth for videos. I am graduating in December and wanted to take the new camera to the event.
My question is still unanswered, except the enthusiasm shown by samurai which makes me think the 16-50 mm is worth the wait.

This is going to be my first interchangeable lens camera, so I am a complete newbie as far as lenses are concerned. Is the 16-50 mm much more better than 18-55? I would prefer to have more manual control, the 18-55 has a focus by wire so it's really psuedo manual itself. 16-50 has a power zoom and dual purpose ring (by wire) that can either zoom or focus.

the biggest reason I am waiting for 16-50 is compactness. But need to know what the experts think about usability and quality of the two lenses. 16-50 costs USD 50 more as kit lens and is not available till January .

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-a...ny1855f3556nex

http://www.dpreview.com/products/son..._16-50_3p5-5p6
Old 3rd November 2012, 03:50   #492
BHPian

I just got my NEX 6 with the 16 - 50 mm kit lens. I gathered a good ground on the basics of Photography over the last 2 months. Here is my first attempt at shooting low light. The shot below was taken at ISO 12800, f3.5, 1/100 shutter speed. I'm still learning.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-mackeyboard1.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2012, 05:52   #493
Senior - BHPian

awsome, How do you feel about the lens? I am leaning towards the manual zoom now, for the control and ease of handling.
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:18   #494
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
awsome, How do you feel about the lens? I am leaning towards the manual zoom now, for the control and ease of handling.
I don't think power zoom of 16-50mm is similar to powerzoom of P&S. You still have to rotate the ring by hand, so it is manual in that sense.

I suggest you wait for 16-50mm, mainly because of the 24mm EFL, and the size too.
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:45   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Like Samurai mentions above, it is manual in the sense that you've got to rotate the ring by hand for zooming. The wide / tele angle switch is convenient but feels like it is positioned in the wrong place. I've accidentally placed my fingers on them when trying to zoom in. The lens body itself feels a lot plasticky. It is definitely compact but not as compact as pancake lenses would be. But in all sense, this lens is better than the 18 - 55 mm kit lens that comes with the Sony NEX 7.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks