Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2013, 13:55   #1231
BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Anyone not getting enough sharpness from it, up to an advanced amateur level of expectation, needs to first eliminate all reasons arising from picture taking technique before blaming the glass.

You should also be able to find a decent used Canon 1.8 prime for not much spend, to further enhance picture taking skills.

And any defects in technique, if uncorrected, are not going to be addressed by equipment change, no matter how much you spend.
I agree. I will get the Canon 50mm 1.8 today and work on learning the correct technique. Can you suggest one or two good forums where i can share my photos with details and get feedback and tips on where to improve?

If i dont know how to take a good photo, my photos will never be good even if i own a Leica [dreamm....]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I started learning with a 20D and 50mm Prime and had that combination for the first year. Basically taught myself to take better pictures with the same set up.

I still recommend similar start for some of my friends and even we conduct 1 day photo outing with only one prime lens.
Since you are in Madras as well, i will ping you and get together for a few tips

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 22nd August 2013 at 13:58.
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:13   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I agree. I will get the Canon 50mm 1.8 today and work on learning the correct technique. Can you suggest one or two good forums where i can share my photos with details and get feedback and tips on where to improve?

If i dont know how to take a good photo, my photos will never be good even if i own a Leica [dreamm....]

Since you are in Madras as well, i will ping you and get together for a few tips
That's the spirit! I could point you to some fora - but to start just google something like - How to take tack sharp photographs - and read. Even better is your idea in the last part - to get together in Chennai with someone who knows more.
Another advantage of waiting before taking any financial leaps is the shakeout that seems to be happening in the camera world. Compact cameras are getting better with larger sensors, DSLRs are getting smaller, like the latest Canon 100D. In between are the m43 lot. A year or so from now, you would get the benefit of this convergence that seems to be under way. And be in a better position to make use of it, based on your improved skills, to decide next steps.
PS: when you get the 50mm1.8, note that it needs to be a 35mm1.8 to work like a full frame 50mm on your cropped sensor body. It is this perspective that is a "normal" one, best suited for getting many fundamentals right. Or even to stick with for the longer term.

Last edited by Sawyer : 22nd August 2013 at 14:30. Reason: PS
Old 22nd August 2013, 16:20   #1233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some learnings from my side :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3173313
Old 23rd August 2013, 07:57   #1234
BHPian

Quote:

Try photography- on-the.net forum. It's very good.
Old 23rd August 2013, 08:13   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to our member here, i picked up the fuji 60mm and 35mm in a sweet deal. Waiting for the lens to arrive now.

Consolidation of two systems are always fun. Fuji basically replaced my 16-35 and 70-200 in a jiffy. The usage of both the lenses were quite coming down and pretty satisfied with the fuji result and no nonsense editing required.

The fund from the two lenses will generate interest in a canon FF now and a couple of good primes rather.

@Hyper-VTEC - Lets do catch up. I can share what even i know probably we can drive down in the god forsaken outskirts of chennai where you need to be really creative sometimes.
Old 23rd August 2013, 09:16   #1236
Team-BHP Support

You mean you sold Canon 16-35mm and 70-200mm and Fuji bought 60mm & 35mm?

Wow, that's a major swap...

PS: If you are in indeed in Madras, please correct the typo in your profile. I was thinking there was a place called Madas.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd August 2013 at 09:17.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:03   #1237
Senior - BHPian

[quote]You mean you sold Canon 16-35mm and 70-200mm and Fuji bought 60mm & 35mm? [/QUOTE

Yes, both the lenses are up so sale locally here. In fact had some unique lenses including the 65mm and 90mm TS-E.

Retaining a CZ 28mm, 40mm pancake and 85L. Rest all going to recycle and get some primes. Going the manual lens way on some of the wide angles like a voitglander Heliar 15mm.

Fuji has taken me back to days where equipment will only help me push my skills instead of depending on the ever dependable 70-200 or so

70-200 in today's morning action.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-1149279_10151568763896727_235180465_o.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2013, 11:33   #1238
Senior - BHPian

How would you go about getting this shot on a Fuji? I am referring to just the focus thing, not exposure. I have given up trying to get these kind of captures from my x100, using the DSLR for these applications. If you know, please share - I will see if I can copy the technique!
Old 24th August 2013, 10:13   #1239
BHPian

Am contemplating on going in for a mirrorless. Until now I have been a Point n Shoot regular joe. Just entering this new turf.

Ruled out Canon EOS M , and Nikon V1
Contemplated on Oly EPL-5 and Sony NEX-5R

On the pricing front thinking of getting Sony NEX-5R.
However in the past I recall discussions that Lenses for NEX series are not available in India. Is this still the scenario today.

As the stock cam comes with a 18-55 , am looking to pickup a telescopic lens.
Would appreciate a response from anyone on the available lenses in India compatible with NEX-5R.

Any other suggestions on alternate models within the same price range +/- few thousands most welcome.
Old 24th August 2013, 10:21   #1240
Team-BHP Support

Just joined the mirrorless brigade with the Sony NEX-5R (16-50mm). Still need some time to figure things out since it's a big upgrade from a prosumer Panasonic FZ-28 to a mirrorless.
Old 24th August 2013, 10:26   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Vid6639

Expect a raise in your camera usage by atleast 150%. Mirrorless are so much fun and mine sits next to me all the time. Including at work
Old 24th August 2013, 13:37   #1242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just joined the mirrorless brigade with the Sony NEX-5R (16-50mm). Still need some time to figure things out since it's a big upgrade from a prosumer Panasonic FZ-28 to a mirrorless.
Congrats! This is the third NEX camera whose purchase I have influenced directly. The fourth may happen soon. Odd thing for an alleged Olympus fanboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
On the pricing front thinking of getting Sony NEX-5R.
However in the past I recall discussions that Lenses for NEX series are not available in India. Is this still the scenario today.

As the stock cam comes with a 18-55 , am looking to pickup a telescopic lens.
Would appreciate a response from anyone on the available lenses in India compatible with NEX-5R.
I would suggest starting with NEX 3N with 16-50mm lens, it comes as kit lens around 28K. Sony lenses are slowly becoming more available. Once you master the kit lens, you can start looking at other lenses. Don't start off with multiple lenses.
Old 24th August 2013, 16:28   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I would suggest starting with NEX 3N with 16-50mm lens, it comes as kit lens around 28K. Sony lenses are slowly becoming more available. Once you master the kit lens, you can start looking at other lenses. Don't start off with multiple lenses.
@Samurai, thanks for your input.

Initially I intend to stick with the kit lens, until I understand and get used to all the settings and options.
Checked out the lens availability, there are couple of them in the E-mount category.
http://www.sony.co.in/productcategory/e-mount-lens

I re-checked the differences between 5R and 3N. Basic heart and soul seem to be similar . However given that I might not upgrade at least in the next 2-3 yrs I might as well shell out the extra and go for the newer 5R model.

The extra benefits of 5R I see are.
- You can install an external EVF if you want later
- Better grip and ergonomics when compared to the 3N
- Has Wifi to transfer directly to cell phone/ TV etc..(nice to have not a main criteria though)
- Better AF and IQ (As per some reviews, yet to be seen )
- Extra control dial
- Interchangeable Flash (fixed on the NEX 3)
- Better build quality, less plastics when compared to NEX 3

Hope to make a purchase within a month.
Old 24th August 2013, 16:34   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
How would you go about getting this shot on a Fuji? I am referring to just the focus thing, not exposure. I have given up trying to get these kind of captures from my x100, using the DSLR for these applications. If you know, please share - I will see if I can copy the technique!
Why would it be difficult to get such a shot with a mirrorless, say the Fuji? Is the AF that bad? Worst case, using single point AF in continuous mode + back button focus - if such a setup exists in Fuji - and maintaining a little distance from the moving subject (easy if you are using a zoom lens) - wouldn't that work?

AF is a complex subject and needs to be customized for type of movement you anticipate. The more sophisticated the camera the more chances are there to get the setup wrong. And some investment in time and effort is needed to master the AF of a particular camera.

Some of the parameters could be ( using Nikon terminology - each manufacturer has their's):
1. Dynamic area? 3D?
2. AF-S? AF-C?
3. Single point AF? 9 points? 39 or 51 points?
4. Do you use the points that are clustered closeby, or the ones that are spread out? That would depend on the movement pattern.

Anticipation and panning practice should help. The lens makes a big difference too.

I am sure you and many folks here know all that, but I am curious about the AF setup/ capability ( what is possible and what is not - say compared to the ancient AF a D90) of the better mirrorless cameras. Have been thinking of getting a mirrorless for non nature/ wildlife shooting. I read that Nikon and Olympus AF were pretty good, good enough for capturing minor action....?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 24th August 2013 at 16:43.
Old 24th August 2013, 16:54   #1245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
However given that I might not upgrade at least in the next 2-3 yrs I might as well shell out the extra and go for the newer 5R model.
[/quote]It is true that 5R is a better purchase than 3N, if you are ok with paying 10K extra. BTW, 3N is 6 months newer than 5R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I read that Nikon and Olympus AF were pretty good, good enough for capturing minor action....?
The C-AF on Olympus is not as good semi-pro dSLRs. That is why it is not recommended for action shots.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks