Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2013, 05:27   #886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx
By the way, I'd advise you to look at Sony Nex-6 also. Its cheaper (50k vs 70k for the oly), has a bigger size sensor (DX size) and is very capable camera. I'd buy the Sony instead of the Oly if i was in the market for a mirrorless today.
I was also confused between the two, finally took a plunge and got the NEX-6. Two weeks into it and I am quite happy with its low light performance. It grips well have tones of controls handy and the EVF is excellent.
Old 28th February 2013, 10:06   #887
Senior - BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
I was also confused between the two, finally took a plunge and got the NEX-6. Two weeks into it and I am quite happy with its low light performance. It grips well have tones of controls handy and the EVF is excellent.
Rohit,

Congrats on the NEX-6! Did you buy the camera here in India? How many lenses are easily available with the dealers? What was the price at which you got the cam? Hope I am not asking too many questions.

Cheers!
Old 28th February 2013, 10:32   #888
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congrats, what lens did you buy with it?

If one goes to Sony India website, they advertise five NEX bodies and three NEX lenses. It is so wacky!
Old 28th February 2013, 10:33   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to the NEX-6 club. Which lenses did you opt for? In any case get the Sigma 30mm f2.8. It is an excellent lens.
Old 28th February 2013, 10:46   #890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
How many lenses are easily available with the dealers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If one goes to Sony India website, they advertise five NEX bodies and three NEX lenses. It is so wacky!
Camshot.in have listed 10 E mount lenses on their site. It should be possible to source these lenses from them.
Old 28th February 2013, 15:25   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Rohit,

Congrats on the NEX-6! Did you buy the camera here in India? How many lenses are easily available with the dealers? What was the price at which you got the cam? Hope I am not asking too many questions.

Cheers!
Quote:
Congrats, what lens did you buy with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Welcome to the NEX-6 club. Which lenses did you opt for? In any case get the Sigma 30mm f2.8. It is an excellent lens.
Well Guys, I am quite a nob when it comes to photography. I will try to answer few Qs
Yes I have bought in India. It was officially dispatched to dealers on 14th Feb. despite being announced in first week of January.
I preordered it at one of Sony dealers and was assured from someone at Sony (they called) that they will courier it to me the day its distribution commenced.
The dealer is a friend of mine, so got it for 46.5K. MRP of the kit is 49999.
I have opted for NEX-6L/B which comes bundled with E-mount power zoom 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens.
The Camera has Fast Hybrid Autofocus thats a combination of Phase Detection and Contrast Detection. Initially only this lens supported this feature, but sony released a new firmware and now Hybrid Focus is available across all E-Mount Lenses
The E-mount ecosystem may not be comparable with others but I see a considerable effort from Sony in near future to bring it at par.
Also there are adaptors available at sony to attach A-Lenses.
Rohit
Old 28th February 2013, 18:47   #892
Senior - BHPian

Sony has launched 2 new cameras, one EVIL and one not so EVIL

1) NEX-3N
2) Alpha 58

Sony has launched a few new lenses:

1) Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM
2) DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II
3) 70-400mm F4-5.6G SSM II

Further details: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415761,00.asp
Old 1st March 2013, 17:22   #893
Team-BHP Support

Re: My very first MFT - The Oly OM-D is here

Quote:
The bag, just close your eyes and buy Kata DC 435. It is so manageable, it was totally non-intrusive in the field, I did the entire Bangalore OTR while my entire EVIL system hanging by the shoulder. I could jump in and out of the Jeep while carrying the whole system. You can carry OM-D mounted with long lens (12-50mm) and two more medium size lenses in the main compartment, and store the chargers and cables in the side pockets. And I can also put the fully loaded DC435 into any of my backpacks when needed. It is bloody perfect.
Somebody just posted this pic in the Bangalore OTR thread. That is me in the center. My backpack had food, water and other stuff. However, the small Kata DC-435 hanging by my waist carried the OM-D with 3 lenses, charger, OE flash and cables. Click for bigger image. Also, I could put the DC-435 into my backpack after the event.

Old 6th March 2013, 00:56   #894
BHPian

Finally after performing a lot of price comparison across web sites, was able to get the lowest price on ebay - INR 67,750. Googled the seller for complaints and there were a LOT! One of those provided a cell number and I promptly called up. Lady with whom I spoke with accepted the bad publicity which her org had received and explained the reason as festive rush. I was impressed with the fact that company reason was at least acknowledging the lapses and was putting in efforts to make amends.

Anyway, they had only black in stock. I placed an order online at about 5.30 p.m. on Monday, 4th March. Received a call back from same lady around 9.00 p.m. that the article has been dispatched and at 4.15 p.m. on 5th March, the courier is delivered - all under 24 hours! I AM IMPRESSED!

The next item on list is a decent bag - am looking at a fairly basic sling bag for now and have decided on http://www.flipkart.com/case-logic-s...gic%20slrc-205

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
This is arguably the best mirrorless camera you can get today.

I got the Olympus OM-D EM5 with the 12-50mm kit lens for 68K which is a bit less than what you have mentioned. I'd suggest buying it locally in Delhi or BLR (your choice). You may be able get the colour of your choice & at a lower price.

I got the silver/black rather accidently even though I wanted the black body, but realised that it is the better choice and it turned out well. The silver/black body goes well with either a black or silver lens.
Thanks R2D2 for your inputs and validating my choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Cheapest is to buy from camshot.in. They have listed it for 68k on their site and they are dependable. I bought my 45mm from them.

Another option is zoomin. Theres a 9% offer coupon right now. It will cost you around 70k from them. they also throw you some freebies like photo mugs and albums.

Buy the 45mm lens also if you go for the om-d. I'd suggest, if possible, get the body only and buy the 45mm and another wider prime like 17mm f2.8 (if you are on budget) or Panasonic 14mm. Skip the kit lens. It does not do justice to the camera.

By the way, I'd advise you to look at Sony Nex-6 also. Its cheaper (50k vs 70k for the oly), has a bigger size sensor (DX size) and is very capable camera. I'd buy the Sony instead of the Oly if i was in the market for a mirrorless today.
Thanks josclix for your inputs too. I checked on the portals you mentioned and there were hidden charges galore (shipping, 2%++ in case of credit card payment) and therefore, decided to give them a miss even before I bumped into the ebay listing

Yes, seems 45mm for sure is on cards in a week or so. Laundry list is long which includes over and above a couple of lenses a decent strap, upgraded flash, additional battery, storage card etc. Buying an Interchangeable Lens Camera indeed is only viewing the tip of the iceberg!
Old 6th March 2013, 09:29   #895
Senior - BHPian

Tried Fuji XE-1 in my hands and I am impressed it's EVF doesn't look garish and build quality is very good.
IMHO it is quite ahead of Olympus offering.
If someone is looking for highend mirrorless this is the camera to buy as of today.
Old 6th March 2013, 10:39   #896
BHPian

I tried camshot.in for Sony Nex lens's but they did not have any in stock.
Old 6th March 2013, 11:08   #897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
.....and at 4.15 p.m. on 5th March, the courier is delivered - all under 24 hours! I AM IMPRESSED! Thanks R2D2 for your inputs and validating my choice!.
Congrats Alok this is a fine camera. Wishing you a lot of fun with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Yes, seems 45mm for sure is on cards in a week or so. Laundry list is long which includes over and above a couple of lenses a decent strap, upgraded flash, additional battery, storage card etc. Buying an Interchangeable Lens Camera indeed is only viewing the tip of the iceberg!
Good luck with what is seen by many as the bottomless bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Tried Fuji XE-1 in my hands and I am impressed it's EVF doesn't look garish and build quality is very good. IMHO it is quite ahead of Olympus offering. If someone is looking for highend mirrorless this is the camera to buy as of today.
Yes the Fuji XE-1 is very attractive and tempting indeed. And it is made in Japan not China. But in my case the price and availability was what swung it in favor of the Oly. It's even more difficult to obtain than the OM-D. :(
Old 6th March 2013, 11:25   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Yes the Fuji XE-1 is very attractive and tempting indeed. And it is made in Japan not China. But in my case the price and availability was what swung it in favor of the Oly. It's even more difficult to obtain than the OM-D. :(
Available in India for 78K from a dealer in Kerala ( Anish) many on team-bhp have dealt with him.
Old 6th March 2013, 12:08   #899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Available in India for 78K from a dealer in Kerala ( Anish) many on team-bhp have dealt with him.
Thanks Amit, that's good to hear. Let me check with my dealer again otherwise how do I contact Anish?

The Oly now belongs to my wife so I may have a very small chance to look at another MLC for myself. Was waiting for the Nikon 1 V2 which is a very decent camera (according to reviews on the 'net) to be introduced in India. It is expected this month. Will consider both the Fuji & Nikon 1 when the time comes.
Old 6th March 2013, 12:43   #900
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How is the lens availability in India?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks