Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 00:17   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Should I buy a Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
How is it a strange thing ? Its just how the car is design and in lot of way, its different from the standard cars that you get.
That might be why I found it strange. I have never seen a car topping up opening a bonnet.. My dad's OMNI had its engine under the seat, but topping up was regular.

Last edited by dhanushs : 12th May 2011 at 00:36.
Old 12th May 2011, 07:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
That might be why I found it strange. I have never seen a car topping up opening a bonnet..
There's a reasoning to it. If notice, except the door handles, there are no holes/ gaps in the body panels. This is done to reduce cost. Having a fuel tank lid on the sides costs much more than getting a simple panel. Same thing goes for a making a small hole in bonnet lid for the washer nozzle. Instead the nozzle is on the wiper arm, same arrangement as in TATA 407.

BTW another strange thing if you might not have noticed is that the wheels have only 3 bolts each . Strange but an act in cost rationalisation.

Cheers
Old 12th May 2011, 13:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriviswa View Post
I sold my Nano CX after 4 months of ownership (@2700 km). I had the following issues:.......
Thanks for the valuable input. Being a Safari owner myself, I can second your statements on T.A.S.S. Though I dont face much trouble being a high end vehicle owner from TML, I have noticed other customers being taken for a ride and substandard service too. Quality control on all TML vehicles is way below any global acceptable standards too. That said, the Nano makes a compelling statement from the city usability perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotHorn View Post
Hi

I own a Yellow nano for past 6 months. I would say think a lot before u buy.....
Having had earlier TML experience, I am thinking a lot before buying it, which is the reason for this thread. Thanks for your valuable inputs. I totally agree on the service part, but where I live I dont think it will be much of a problem. Yet, the quality of service expected from TML, considering ownership of their lowest budget vehicle gives me jitters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
But one thing I strongly feel is, present batch of Nano might have already transitioned from the initial hiccups and silly issues.
This is something that I am hoping too, hence the thought of the Nano purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
With a budget of 3L, I would recommend the Alto and then the Spark.....
The Alto is the most reliable of the 3 with the least cost of ownership. The Spark begins to become expensive to maintain post 2 yrs.
Nano, has unproven reliability, poor QC, bad service.
Ideally, I would want to buy the Alto, but its too crammed for my requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
I own both a Spark and a Nano. For your requirements, I have no second thoughts suggesting a Nano. Mine is already past 8700 kms and has served me very well. Apart from central locking not functioning ( gun on the driver's door being faulty and not in stock), nothing else has gone wrong in last year and a half....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As much as I like the Nano, I do think the Spark is a better car. If your budget can accommodate the Chevy, go for it. The Spark is way more refined, has a better ride & handling balance, overall quality is superior and offers decent performance / fuel efficiency too. And I do think the Spark will be the niggle-free of the two.
Budget isnt a constraint, but I would like to limit myself to the cheapest alternative. Cheap to buy and cheap to run. The Spark and Alto are surely better choices, but as you begin to look at these options, you begin to add to your requirements. 1000cc better than 800cc, split seat, better interiors, some more space which i will never use, then I would want to consider airbags on the Spark too and the budget would shoot beyond 3L. You know how easy it is to stretch budgets on a low end car.

Quote:
I as an existing Nano owner for the last 1 month and 700 kms, I think I'm qualified enough to make the below comments.
I think every car has niggles here and there.
Thanks for the link.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUTS. I will do some more research on the Nanobilities. Hopefully, in time more inputs will be available to help my purchase decision.
Niggles is the only thing thats making me apprehensive at this time. No niggles means no service issues either. So more research on Nanoniggles is due.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 12th May 2011 at 13:24.
Old 12th May 2011, 13:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
......Niggles is the only thing thats making me apprehensive at this time. No niggles means no service issues either. So more research on Nanoniggles is due.
Hopefully I will make my decision after your lead Will be eagerly looking for updates in this thread.
Old 12th May 2011, 13:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Hopefully I will make my decision after your lead Will be eagerly looking for updates in this thread.
Feel free to add your contributions on Nanoresearch & Nanoniggles here. It will surely help many others with the same dilemma.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 12th May 2011, 13:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Feel free to add your contributions on Nanoresearch & Nanoniggles here....
Jay, dont you think buying one and using it for few months would be a better edge in contributing to an end-user ? Stop smoking leaves and start driving a Nano
Old 12th May 2011, 13:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW another strange thing if you might not have noticed is that the wheels have only 3 bolts each . Strange but an act in cost rationalisation.Cheers
It's also because the torque generated by the small engine doesn't require 4 nuts. Nano Europa which has a bigger & more powerful engine comes with 4 nuts on each wheel.
Old 12th May 2011, 14:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

This may be a stupid question, but are there any plans to launch the Nano Europa (or an equivalent variant) in India?
Perhaps this can then sell as a 'real' top end variant?
Old 12th May 2011, 14:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

That seems unlikely, since it would be more expensive and enter hatchback car territory and defeat the entire projection of TML as a cheap cost effective peoples car(for the masses).
Old 12th May 2011, 16:37   #40
BHPian

I am surprised. I posed a similiar question on this forum a few months ago indicating a choice between a Nano and a Spark. I got a completely different advise on that thread as compared to that of this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...let-spark.html
Old 12th May 2011, 17:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
I am surprised. I posed a similiar question on this forum a few months ago indicating a choice between a Nano and a Spark. I got a completely different advise on that thread as compared to that of this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...let-spark.html
Quite a few things have changed in the last few months. Nano has introduced 4 year warranty and 4 year service pack at Rs 99 per month or some such which takes care of your maintenance issues. TML has also recalled a lot of cars to retrofit the engineering changes.

I guess thats why the answers are quite different.
Old 12th May 2011, 19:38   #42
BHPian

Nano is very good deal.

One of my close family member owns it, and last week was able to drive the car for 200 + Kms,
2> Nice front seats.
3> Powerful AC(110 CC Compressor it has)
4> Even i find the pickup good for the Size, engine is little noicy at start but once you cross 50 km/hr, its becomes quite.
5> Light clutch, positive gearshifts.
6> Powerful headlights.
7> It has rear parcel shelf.
8> Very few rattles(The Odo was 1500k)
9> Easily goes to 90 km/hr on highway.
10> Good mileage (17 to 20)
11> Nice all round visibility, fun to drive in city.
12> Even that Dash looks very basic, but you can easily keep many things there as it has nice depth.(I carried 5 lits of milk, lots of vegetables etc..)
Dislike
1> Bumpy Ride on uneven roads.
2> Strict no for Highways as quick lane changes is dangerous.
3> Rear Seats lacks the thigh support.
4>boot is not easily accessible.
5> Front disks are required.(Current breaks are adequate)

Overall its really good city car, and you get 4 years of warranty and service,

Cheers

Parimal
Old 12th May 2011, 20:52   #43
BHPian

I find the Nano good for the price it offers, 3 things I do not like about the Nano are

1. The Boot does not open, why can't Tata fix this, I fail to understand.
2. There is no PS in any varient.
3. I do like the thought of battery inside the car with AC on.

Other than the above the 2nd gear or 3rd gear is limited to 60 kmph which I find there was no need for Tata to do, and the top wack of 105 Kmph again din't need restriction. The colour I like is ofcourse yellow.
Old 13th May 2011, 21:14   #44
BHPian

Saw a T-bone accident damaged Nano at the service center today. It was hit on the passenger side door, toppled over and the front bumper hit a wall. The SA told me that it happened at highway speeds (read 50-60 kmph) and the tiny nano had taken it pretty well to say the least. I was told that the passenger only had a bruise from hitting his arm on the door. The passenger was unhurt. The front was badly damaged, but I opened the lid and looked and the subframe had bent slightly. Thats all. I think it is a well engineered car and should keep you safe.
In case someone wants to see this car it is at Millenium Motors Service centre in Dapodi, Pune.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Saw a T-bone accident damaged Nano at the service center today. It was hit on the passenger side door, toppled over and the front bumper hit a wall. The SA told me that it happened at highway speeds (read 50-60 kmph) and the tiny nano had taken it pretty well to say the least. I was told that the passenger only had a bruise from hitting his arm on the door. The passenger was unhurt. The front was badly damaged, but I opened the lid and looked and the subframe had bent slightly. Thats all. I think it is a well engineered car and should keep you safe.
In case someone wants to see this car it is at Millenium Motors Service centre in Dapodi, Pune.
The strength of nano can be witnessed if you watch the crash test videos of nano in the autocar website.
Video blog: Tata Nano crash test - Autocar.co.uk
You may also watch the crash tests of some of the chineese cars and some cars already being used in india if you search in google with 'worst car crash test' and 'car crash test'. This will give us the confidence in riding the nano on the roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks