Team-BHP - Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Honda Brio Vs Hyundai i10 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/108492-honda-brio-vs-hyundai-i10-12.html)

It is apparent on the wall situation, there is no comparison between i10 and Brio. IMHO Brio wins hands down, no matter which way you look at it, all my brothers here have already given you more than enough reasons why. I would not look at i20 with 1.2 engine simply because its way too under powered and the mileage one of my friend is getting is 9 kms in the city. If you opt for the auto box it may have good power but mileage may be less than 8 kms. If your usage is only for the city, Brio makes the best sense. Even i20 with auto box may not be as convenient as Brio, Brio drives like a go-kart. The only thing other than Brio in the lower range that drives like a go-kart is K10, but it has too many negatives as compared to Brio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulfi hansi (Post 2781128)
The only thing other than Brio in the lower range that drives like a go-kart is K10, but it has too many negatives as compared to Brio.

Buuuut..

Probably not fair to compare the K10 to the Brio and brushing off the Alto altogether as it may have too many negatives.

You see, people looking to buy the Alto K10 are probably not looking at the Brio. For a car that costs 4 lakhs *on the road*, the Brio wouldn't cut that price barrier. People would rather get the Alto.

Similarly, someone looking to buy a Brio would be looking for a car in that segment. Cars like the i20 come into the comparison. The Swift too. The Micra, the Pulse. Heck even a base Polo/Fabia.

The Brio is, let's face it, a touch too expensive. Maybe 20k or 30k more. The S(o) MT costs 6.10 on the road in Bangalore. That's the variant without alloy-wheels and fog-lamps. And 'different' upholstery.

We could blame it on the pricey road-tax/regn. in the State.

And that said, it's relatively new in the market. A year or more down the line and we should see a fluctuation. Hopefully, for the better. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2781198)
Similarly, someone looking to buy a Brio would be looking for a car in that segment. Cars like the i20 come into the comparison. The Swift too. The Micra, the Pulse. Heck even a base Polo/Fabia.

Brio in the same segment as i20, Polo, Fabia? I don't think that is right. Those are bigger hatches.

Quote:

You see, people looking to buy the Alto K10 are probably not looking at the Brio. For a car that costs 4 lakhs *on the road*, the Brio wouldn't cut that price barrier. People would rather get the Alto.

The Brio is, let's face it, a touch too expensive. Maybe 20k or 30k more. The S(o) MT costs 6.10 on the road in Bangalore. That's the variant without alloy-wheels and fog-lamps. And 'different' upholstery.

You are right and I was not really comparing the two, its only one character which is common in both that they drive like a go-kart was my point, otherwise both are in different segments. K10 cannot be beaten for VFM it offers, but then one who can afford at higher price point can opt for Brio, that way even the Mini Cooper too drives like a go-kart and it does offer a lot more than Brio but at a price.

So far as newness of the car in the market is concerned most attributes of Honda are to be expected, its only how relevantly the product connects with the market is to be seen, like even CRV is a good car, but could not connect to our present circumstances in the market.

:OTAnd guys please vote for a government in Karnataka which will bring down the taxes on cars, its killing, its the highest OTR price that we pay in the country.:Frustrati

zulfi bhai; I have heard similar consumption figures for th i20AT, and was first thinking they are the normal gripes of the users. My Civic at 1.8 litres does better than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 2781242)
zulfi bhai; I have heard similar consumption figures for th i20AT, and was first thinking they are the normal gripes of the users. My Civic at 1.8 litres does better than that.

FE is simply not their [Hyundai] forte, its only Toyota and Honda who can get those figures and some other Japs, even the western [American, German etc] guys cannot match the FE figures of these two Japs when it comes to auto box with petrol engine, at least here in India. One friend of mine drives a 2002 OHC 1.5 autobox, which has run about 70k, even he manages to get 10 kms in the city.

Specifically speaking i20 is a disaster with 1.2 engine, they did that mistake with Getz Prime 1.1 and continue to do it again. 1.2 engine is good for i10 beyond that one cannot defy the laws of physics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 2781210)
Brio in the same segment as i20, Polo, Fabia? I don't think that is right. Those are bigger hatches.

Please compare the prices and the spec-sheet of the Swift, the i20, Fabia, Polo to the Brio's. Apart from a very-small boot, the cars are similar in terms of specifications.

Sure, it can be compared to the Figo and the Liva. But we'e talking only about petrol cars here.

Have a look at the dimensions of the cars here:

Brio:

3610mm Length
1680mm Width
1500mm Height
2345mm Wheel-base

i20

3940mm Length
1710mm Width
1505mm Height
2525mm Wheel-base

Swift

3850mm Length
1695mm Width
1530mm Height
2430mm Wheel-base

Fabia

4000mm Length
1642mm Width
1522mm Height
2465mm Wheel-base

Polo

3970mm Length
1682mm Width
1453mm Height
2456mm Wheel-base

Apart from the length, there is little to differentiate them in terms of physical proportions. If the Brio was made a little longer, there would have been a bigger boot, and that would instantly put it right at the top of the hatchback list in India. But then Honda has the Jazz for that, so..

Why, several times the Swift vs. Brio discussion has come up. If you compare the prices of the products, it isn't far off. In fact, the Brio is more spacious than the Swift.

The reason why the Brio is often compared to the Swift, etc is because the prices aren't dissimilar. And when there are customers looking for a petrol car in the price-bracket of 4-6 lakhs, the Swift will surely cope up along with the Brio and even the i10. The top-end i10's price isn't far off from the i20s. And the i20 does have a lot of features to offer and is a 'bigger car'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2781375)
Apart from the length, there is little to differentiate them in terms of physical proportions.

Length is what matters here. Just becasue Jazz and Brio have the same width, engine specs etc doesn't make them to fit in the same category. Jazz is a categoy higher because it is 'lengthier' (which contributes to more leg space, boot space etc)
A length of 30-40 centimeter more is very significant (that's the difference between length of Brio and i20/Fabia).

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkochar (Post 2779802)
I'd not give it a second thought before buying the Brio over the i10 any given day. And the most important part - the FE is far better in the Brio than the i10 and this comes vouched for from a close family relative who owns both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankur_fox (Post 2780094)
Have you got a car of the i10 range for an FE comparison? Here's what I get:

Conditions:
City driving with moderate to heavy 90% of the time mostly in 3rd gear, with frequent down shifts to 2nd.
Max speed 50kmph for about a minute, regular driving speed 40 - 45kmph
Usual daily distance ~14 kms
Top FE figures: ~12.65kmpl / Average: ~10-11 kmpl max (aircon ON)
Bottom FE figure: 7.8 kmpl
Fuel: Normal Petrol every single time from the same company (BP)

Highway - 16.45kmpl aircon off

Would very much like to know if Brio can do better in similar conditions keeping in mind the speed.

Here are the numbers for my Jazz (same engine, heavier car, more load).
City driving with moderate to heavy 95% of the time mostly in 3rd gear, with frequent down shifts to 2nd.
regular driving speed 40 - 45kmph
Usual daily distance ~12 kms
Top FE figures: ~14kmpl / Average: ~12 -13 kmpl max (aircon ON)
Bottom FE figure: 11.5 kmpl during a traffic jam in the rainy season. b2b traffic and some flyover work took me an hour to cover 5km.
Fuel: Normal Petrol

Highway - 19kmpl max aircon on. Average 18kmpl aircon on

Has done 35 K kms till date. I am the second owner.

Servicing costs about 5K per visit including oil change. Interval 5k kms.

The reason I am giving these numbers is that I expect the Brio to do at least the same numbers as the Jazz if not better, considering the weight.

The only downside I see for the Brio is the small boot. You may want to consider buying a pre owned Jazz :)

Edit: oh, and by the by these figures are after switching all tyres to 185/60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 2781400)
Length is what matters here. Just becasue Jazz and Brio have the same width, engine specs etc doesn't make them to fit in the same category. Jazz is a categoy higher because it is 'lengthier' (which contributes to more leg space, boot space etc)
A length of 30-40 centimeter more is very significant (that's the difference between length of Brio and i20/Fabia).

And despite the obvious lack in length, it's about just as spacious as the Polo/Fabia if not more. And certainly more spacious than the Swift.

Like I said earlier, the price-bracket has a lot to do with it. People looking for a petrol hatch for 6 lakhs will find it hard to ignore the Brio. Don't the lesser variants of the i20 and the Swift fall in the same bracket?

I don't see a reason why they can't be compared. What differentiates the segment is a very thin line, you've gotta admit.

Also, the difference between the i20 and the Brio in terms of length is indeed huge. Same goes for the Swift.

Brio: 3610mm Length

i20: 3940mm Length (330mm more i.e. 33 centimeters. That's longer than a foot-long ruler)

Swift: 3850mm Length (240mm more i.e. 24 centimeters. Two small rulers)

That's a huge advantage in terms of length. Certainly not a small difference. But I don't see the stark difference in space. If anything goes by, the Brio seems more spacious. Just loses out on the boot. Even the boot in the Swift is small and nearly just as useless.

Just stating facts here mate, and bringing out the thought process and ideas of a typical family looking for a petrol car in that price-bracket. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2780953)
Are you speaking from experience or just quoting hearsay? I have owned 3 brand new Hyundai cars and here is resale value. Please judge for yourself if the resale value is bad?

According to me, it's fantastic !!!!

That's a superb resale value you have got for your three H cars. In my opinion, Hyundai cars (especially Santro and i10) do have a good resale value, but brokers/companies try to undervalue the resale value mainly because of the "poor" demand for petrol cars and the impression of "overhyped and overpriced" Hyundai cars. Besides, many people assume (falsely) that only Maruti cars have premium resale value.

Quote:

A.S.S experience for all 3 cars has been extraordinarily economical and I spent 0.50/km or less for all cars listed above.

I rate Hyundai A.S.S equivalent or better than Maruti A.S.S (experience from owning a brand new M800 and Zen)

I too have encountered flawless service from Hyundai on my i10 so far. Maybe, it is because I had befriended many in the sales and service section. Besides, they are aware that I have got excellent FE on my i10 and happily refer me to potential customers. Third, my profession as a journalist may also keep them on their toes (not that I flaunt my credentials in anyway).

We have largely a few Maruti and Hyundai cars (with the exception of a Tata Estate, Padmini Premier and Matiz) and we have had good service experience from both, Maruti and Hyundai.

As I have said earlier, a good sales and service experience largely depends on the dealer. A good dealer and make or break a good ownership experience.

Quote:

i10 is a sleeper car and when driven in right rev ranges, its a pretty quick car and perfect for city conditions in every which way.

Downside of i10 is low FE. Never got above 11kmpl in city and 15kmpl on highways. Mind you this is always with a heavy foot.

i10 didnt ring any bells for me on the passion department but, i am still going to miss her.....

To be honest, I make a concerted effort to avoid getting too personal with my cars, else I may end up in bereavement each time I sell off my car.

Like my cars, I will; but love them, I try not. After all, I'm only passionate about two "acquisitions": my wife and our 4-yr-old daughter.:)

The i10 has delivered to my expectations. Yes, the rear seat ride could have been better, but I am content that the i10 has given me a pleasant, reliable and smooth driving experience so far. Being a light-footer and minimal AC user has enabled me derive a great FE so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkochar (Post 2779802)
Have not read the entire thread - just saw the Title and thought I'd add my 2 cents here -

I have driven the i10 and it is an absolutely boring / uninspiring car to drive. I am a Hyundai fan by the way.

The other day I TD the Jazz and the Brio and was blown away by the Brio. The best car in its segment leaving the i10 in a far 2nd spot if you compare both these cars.

What a package for 5 lacs OTR for the mid variant.

I'd not give it a second thought before buying the Brio over the i10 any given day. And the most important part - the FE is far better in the Brio than the i10 and this comes vouched for from a close family relative who owns both.

I second that! Superb value for money, the engine is a delight and the car is awesome driving in town, so effortless, I don't remember the last time I drove so easily in heavy traffic.

If you love driving and can live with the few niggles, Brio is the car.

the honda brio in my opinion is way better than the i10. It's got a fantastic engine that makes the car very peppy and the light steering is a boon in city traffic. The car is also more spacious than the i10. It probably isnt great in the looks department and the i10 looks a more mature car in comparison. Whether thats a good thing or not is for you to decide.
Personally I feel that honda's in general are great cars though they are over priced but the brio is pretty good value for money as well.
The brio will put a smile on your face every time you drive it.

Quote:

Buuuut..

Probably not fair to compare the K10 to the Brio and brushing off the Alto altogether as it may have too many negatives.

We could blame it on the pricey road-tax/regn. in the State.

And that said, it's relatively new in the market. A year or more down the line and we should see a fluctuation. Hopefully, for the better. :)

Agreed on the comparison part, it's like comparing apples to oranges. But, when it comes to clever engineering Brio holds a candle to the Alto. Example, compare the front seating space in both the cars, Brio is miles ahead. I think Brio is value of money, if you consider top end variant then yeah, it seems expensive.

It simply comes down to requirements, you get what you par for. Alto or Brio, test drive both the cars and pick the one that ticks off most of your requirements. Remember no car is perfect, you have to evaluate and see if you can live with the niggles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 2780124)
I can spot quite a few of the standard Hyundai cons here - Teflon Coating, Balancing & Alignment at the outset, Engine solvent, AC Disinfectant, Silencer coating, Decoking.

Thanks a lot for that. Just goes to show what you can expect. No one likes to be taken for a ride, the more knowledgeable one is mixed with some common sense is all that's needed. I remember now that it was the sales fellow who talked me into all of that ... fooled once, wiser now.