Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 08:25   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintu_91 View Post
If sources are to be believed then Figo would have AT option with 1.5L Petrol engine just like aspire. And I believe it won't be priced like Polo GT Tsi if it makes it to the market. And since the aspire official review is also out, you can see if it fits your bill.
Do update us on your decision.
Thanks chintu_91. The only issue I have with Figo AT is the waiting and the uncertainty of performance, pricing etc. As the car is yet to be announced, even if I pre-book the car, by the time the reviews, test drives, pricing details etc are available, it may be another 3 months minimum of waiting. It has been 4 months already since I started looking for the car, and 3 more months wouldbe unbearable So, I have gone ahead and booked the Polo TSi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The new figo is launching on 23rd. Rumors indicate the 1.5 AT will be available. Looking at the Aspire pricing, the figo AT has to be somewhere in the 7-7.25LL ex showroom range. So definitely worth waiting for that.

Secondly, since you are in the premium hatch territory why not the compact sedans which are similar in size - Aspire, xcent and zest? The below thread which I compiled on AT's under 10L has details on the compact sedans also.
As wife is very firm on a hatchback with no boot, I had to rule out the compact sedans.

Regarding Figo AT, two reasons why I do not want to consider this. First is the uncertainty of performance, pricing and the waiting involved. Second, 7.25L ex-showroom would bring the OTR to near 9L. For me starting with a budget of 6L, 7.5L was a mental block. Once I cross this block, I am fine stretching the budget till 10L. That is the reason why I jumped to Polo Tsi, even though Micra CVT was fitting all the requirements at 8L. For the extra 2 Lac, I get the explosive 1.2Tsi + DSG7 combination, and one solidly built car.

Quote:
Based on your experience and requirements the gt tsi would be the ideal choice. The jetta diesel dsg and the petrol polo tsi dsg. Would make an excellent garage.
Totally agree with this. Jetta TDi and the Polo TSi would make an awesome combination in the garage. Now, I will have to steal some miles from the Jetta and use the Polo to give both the cars a decent usage.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 17:52   #272
BHPian

I have been contemplating quite a lot of cars to buy when I sell my present daily runner 3 year old Figo tdci. I would be sticking to a hatch as it suits my daily run. The front runner was the Polo GT TDI. The new Figo has thrown a spanner into the works and my calculations have gone bust. The primary qualification being a powerful diesel hatch which is also safe, does a Polo GT TDI make more sense than a Figo titanium option with 6 air bags?
Old 21st September 2015, 19:02   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I have been contemplating quite a lot of cars to buy when I sell my present daily runner 3 year old Figo tdci. I would be sticking to a hatch as it suits my daily run. The front runner was the Polo GT TDI. The new Figo has thrown a spanner into the works and my calculations have gone bust. The primary qualification being a powerful diesel hatch which is also safe, does a Polo GT TDI make more sense than a Figo titanium option with 6 air bags?
I think the Figo will be a worthy contender to the GT TDI. Will need to wait for the launch for the price and variants to do a meaningful comparison.

The Aspire is quite lightly built, does not have the sold feel associated with Ford. I assume the Figo hatch will also be similar. In such a scenario the GT TDI will definitely be more solidly built.

On the plus side, the lighter build along with the 1.5 100 horses motor will make the Figo a fantastic performer.

I think you will have some decisions to make.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 19:50   #274
BHPian

Quote:
I think the Figo will be a worthy contender to the GT TDI. Will need to wait for the launch for the price and variants to do a meaningful comparison.

The Aspire is quite lightly built, does not have the sold feel associated with Ford. I assume the Figo hatch will also be similar. In such a scenario the GT TDI will definitely be more solidly built.

On the plus side, the lighter build along with the 1.5 100 horses motor will make the Figo a fantastic performer.

I think you will have some decisions to make.
One of my main questions is would a strong build compensate for 6 airbags?
Old 21st September 2015, 21:53   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
One of my main questions is would a strong build compensate for 6 airbags?
IMHO, if the structure of the car lacks strength, then having more airbags does not make it safe. And the structural strength cannot be decided by just the weight of the car or general feeling of solid build. Only way we can know for sure is if there is an NCAP test result available.

Only when there is an NCAP test result available for the Indian Figo, this result can be compared with that of Polo NCAP result, and an informed decision may be taken. Without this, any conclusion would be just a guess work.

If the Figo has poor structural strength, then even with 6 airbags, it would score less than the Polo in an NCAP test. On the other hand, if the structural strength of the Figo is as good as the Polo, then with 6 airbags, it would naturally score more than the Polo in an NCAP test.

this is why we need crash tests made mandatory for all cars!
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 19:21   #276
BHPian

Looking to change my 2007 Alto LXI model that has run up 1,14,000 kms.

I had a look at the new Figo, but not yet TDed. Liked the car. However, I want to wait for Baleno's launch.

I am confused as to which one will suit me in the petrol avatar. I am a sedate driver who likes to cruise the car instead of flogging it.

I have decided to wait for the launch of Baleno. If the price vis-a-vis value is higher than what Figo offers, then I may go for Figo petrol Trend model.

It is being speculated that Baleno petrol may start from 5.25 lacs; however, I am not sure about it what with the bling about Nexa and all that.

Fingers crossed.
Old 26th September 2015, 04:06   #277
BHPian

VW Polo GT vs Ford Figo

I have already booked a POLO GT TSI a week back and the delivery is promised around october-november months. And suddenly the news of VW cheating government, customers about its emissions, comes out. I am now worried
about the ownership costs and the thought, what if VW goes bankrupt? And suddenly I'm back to square one, looking for options available in this segment (Not that I'm completely leaving the POLO as an option). Among all the cars I could only see Figo comparable to POLO GT.

My main priorities are
1. Acceleration
2. Handling at high speeds and cornering

Also Interiors and exterios come last in my priority list. Actually I don't want to take them into account as of now.

Definitely 1.2 Ford Petrol is out of discussion here. So the options are
1.5 Ford Petrol Automatic
1.2 GT TSI
1.5 GT TDI
1.5 TDCI

Let's consider first Figo 1.5 Petrol Automatic and Polo GT TSI. Figo is whole 2 lakh cheaper. Clearly it has more power but less torque. Some say, due to this acceleration is more for GT TSI. So two important questions that need be answered here
How does Ford 6 speed DCT compare to VW'S 7 speed DSG. Which is better, advantanges and disadvantages of both.
More power but less torque, what does it translate to on the road?

1.5 GT TDI is 1.3 lakh costlier than Figo Titanium +. Power/Weight, Torque/Weight ratios are both slightly higher for Figo. Also reviews state that torque comes from as low as 1200 rpm. So drivability should be good too. Some even quote time for 0-100 kmph is less than 10s for Figo.
So Figo clearly has upper hand for the options we considered till now (ratios and turbo lag)

Assuming POLO GT TDI is out of race (clearly I have not weighed yet the most important factor, handling, because I have no clue. This is where I am looking for your opinions), I am left with GT TSI and FIGO TDCI.

P.S: I know many of you would advise me to take the test drive and decide for myself. But I tried taking the vehicles to drive them on highways and they politely declined my request. So I'm lookin for some expert knowledge on this.
Old 26th September 2015, 11:55   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT vs Ford Figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna777 View Post
I have already booked a POLO GT TSI a week back and the delivery is promised around october-november months. And suddenly the news of VW cheating government, customers about its emissions, comes out. I am now worried
about the ownership costs and the thought, what if VW goes bankrupt? And suddenly I'm back to square one, looking for options available in this segment (Not that I'm completely leaving the POLO as an option). Among all the cars I could only see Figo comparable to POLO GT.

My main priorities are
1. Acceleration
2. Handling at high speeds and cornering

Also Interiors and exterios come last in my priority list. Actually I don't want to take them into account as of now.

Definitely 1.2 Ford Petrol is out of discussion here. So the options are
1.5 Ford Petrol Automatic
1.2 GT TSI
1.5 GT TDI
1.5 TDCI

Let's consider first Figo 1.5 Petrol Automatic and Polo GT TSI. Figo is whole 2 lakh cheaper. Clearly it has more power but less torque. Some say, due to this acceleration is more for GT TSI. So two important questions that need be answered here
How does Ford 6 speed DCT compare to VW'S 7 speed DSG. Which is better, advantanges and disadvantages of both.
More power but less torque, what does it translate to on the road?

Assuming POLO GT TDI is out of race (clearly I have not weighed yet the most important factor, handling, because I have no clue. This is where I am looking for your opinions), I am left with GT TSI and FIGO TDCI.
Few comments/inputs.

Firstly I don't think you need to worry about VW going bankrupt. I think they are too big and too important for a number of countries economies to be allowed to go bankrupt. Unlike say a Financial Institution, here we are talking about a hardcore manufacturing company (Not an expert in any way- Just my hypothesis).

Since the issues are all with the diesels, I don't think their petrol's-Especially the Turbo Petrols will be impacted.

Both Ford's DCT and VW's DSG are Dual Clutch AT's. The advantage DSG has is that it is mated to a Turbo Petrol engine which is an ideal combination. The DCT is mated to the regular 1.5 NA engine and hence not really optimized to its full potential. The real factor in making the GT TSI a brilliant performer is its engine, the DSG just complements the package and takes it to the next level.

How it translates on the road. If I were to put it in one sentence (I own a Vento TSI and have had a reasonably long TD of the Aspire DCT). The TSI DSG will put a smile on your face every time you drive it. The DCT will do its job perfectly and much better than every other AT car in the segment, but will not make you go WOW.

Now on the reliability. Ford wins here. DSG has had a troubled past and VW's recent troubles are also not confidence inspiring. Ford's DCT has been more stable and on top of it all Ford Offers a 10 year warranty on the DCT.

2 years back when I was in the market for an AT, I booked the Polo TSI and then switched to the Vento TSI since I needed the space and boot. At that point of time, if the Figo/Aspire were available that would have been my choice. in fact if the Ecosport DCT had been available within a reasonable time, I would have bought that. But today I am happy that I went with the TSI and did not wait for the Ecosport DCT.

In summary, once you experience the TSI over a period of time, you will be glad you went for it. But just considering the present time, the much cheaper and potentially more reliable Figo DCT makes a strong case and you will not be disappointed.

Hope this does not confuse you more.

Edit: You can also wait for the Baleno, but don't think it will be better than the Figo/Polo in performance or acceleration or AT technology

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 26th September 2015 at 11:58.
Old 20th October 2015, 07:25   #279

Jazz Vx or Dzire Zxi

I know both these cars are in different segments and a direct comparison is difficult but I want team-bhpians help in taking a decision.

I currently drive the 2008 WagonR and am looking for a petrol car with a budget of 7-8 Lakhs on road.

Priorities are
1) Safety
2) Space and ride comfort ((Family of 5- 2 adults, 3 kids with eldest being 8 years old), occasional passengers are elderly parents)
3) Value for Money- maintenance shouldn't be too high and good Resale Value expected.
4) The bells and whistles

Shortlisted the Jazz VX because of it's practicality and of course the Honda Brand. It's slightly over my budget but it's feature rich for that price is what I felt.

Swift Dzire Zxi was an afterthought as I had initially discounted it because of it's dated looks but with the facelift and new interiors and the price range(7.8 on road), it looks like a great proposition.

I might use the car for 8-10 years and my average usage is just about 6,500 Kms per year.

My usage is 70% city, 30% highways

Thanks for helping me out
Old 20th October 2015, 13:34   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jazz Vx or Dzire Zxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKurup View Post
I currently drive the 2008 WagonR and am looking for a petrol car with a budget of 7-8 Lakhs on road.

Priorities are
1) Safety
2) Space and ride comfort ((Family of 5- 2 adults, 3 kids with eldest being 8 years old), occasional passengers are elderly parents)
3) Value for Money- maintenance shouldn't be too high and good Resale Value expected.
4) The bells and whistles

Shortlisted the Jazz VX because of it's practicality and of course the Honda Brand. It's slightly over my budget but it's feature rich for that price is what I felt.

Swift Dzire Zxi was an afterthought as I had initially discounted it because of it's dated looks but with the facelift and new interiors and the price range(7.8 on road), it looks like a great proposition.
Among these two, choice would be the Jazz, it is a newer car and will be more spacious than the Dzire.

Are you open to other choices or came up with these 2 cars after reviewing all other options? If not, would recommend looking at the below options also.
  • New Ertiga: The VXI will be in your budget and is pretty well loaded (including Airbags and ABS). Considering the fact that you need to carry 2 adults and 3 growing kids, a 7 seater will give you the added flexibility especially when you need to carry your parents also. Would be my top choice.
  • Ford Aspire Titanium+. 6 airbags, well loaded with features. The petrol is not the best to drive, but since your usage is not much, will work out well.
  • Hyundai Xcent: Again heavily loaded with features and gizmos. Super refined petrol engine.
  • Maruti Baleno: The launch is only a week away and will be worthwhile to wait and check it out. It is the widest car in its class and hence may be more comfortable. price is unknown though.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 20th October 2015 at 13:35.
Old 20th October 2015, 14:54   #281
BHPian

I am posting on behalf of a friend.

She is looking for a city car (hatchback) under 6.5 lacs OTR Haryana- This roughly translates to cars up to 6 Lacs ex showroom.

Priorities are:
1. Good comfort
2. Preferably petrol as the drive is not gonna be more than 600 Kms/Month.
3. Easy maintenance.
4. Stylish
5. No cheap car image (no offence to anyone; her words :P)
6. Will be driven alone or with at max 2 people on board
7. Safe (she is not too keen on ABS etc, But I recommend at least one airbag )
8. Good and satisfying drive (This is important)
9. Good resale- Just in case, bit she plans to keep the car for 5 years.

Shortlists:
1. Celerio AMT - Just because of two reasons - A. Maruti B. Automatic
2. New Figo Trend TDCi - Pros: Good looks, love at first sight, the amazing performance, decently loaded, AHAMAZING Blue color.
Cons: Maintenance, slightly pushing the budget but just, Ford reliability.
3. Grand i10 Sportz Petrol - Decently loaded, good interior, decent drive.
cons: Feels overpriced for the size and dynamics
4. New Figo Petrol Manual - Pros: good looks Cons: Lackluster Engine.

She is open to other suggestions as well. Please Advice. Many Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 16:57   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post

She is looking for a city car (hatchback) under 6.5 lacs OTR Haryana- This roughly translates to cars up to 6 Lacs ex showroom.

:
The best choice seems to be the Grand i10. It has good international reviews too and comes across as an all rounded package. It is also doing very good numbers month-on-month. Hyundai also have an automatic variant.

If she wants to go with her heart, then it would have to be the Figo. The Figo is never going to do more numbers than the i10. Also, though Ford has begun selling parts over the counter, but the parts are still costly when compared to the competition

Very difficult call

Last edited by TheARUN : 20th October 2015 at 17:04. Reason: Grammar
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 19:01   #283
BHPian

Quote:

She is open to other suggestions as well. Please Advice. Many Thanks
May I add to your confusion?
Why not Brio? It drives well and looks good too. You may even get great discounts!
Also, the service is not too expensive.

Happy Shopping
Old 20th October 2015, 19:06   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post

Very difficult call
Thanks. Indeed. The automatic grand i10 is slightly expensive and has a very inferior 4 speed auto box. She is just trying to justify that Figo is a decision she can make by both head and heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
May I add to your confusion?
Why not Brio? It drives well and looks good too. You may even get great discounts!
Also, the service is not too expensive.

Happy Shopping
Haha. She finds Brio too outdated. But yes, she can look at it.

Isn't Grand i10 a better product than Brio. Thats why it was eliminated initially.

Last edited by Crazy_Bean : 20th October 2015 at 19:09.
Old 20th October 2015, 19:12   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Indeed.

Haha. She finds Brio too outdated. But yes, she can look at it.

Isn't Grand i10 a better product than Brio. Thats why it was eliminated initially.
Grand i10 is indeed a better all rounder. It's just that Brio "drives better" and is safer than grand. Rest, in all other departments, the i10 shines.
Why I suggested brio was because I thought, your friend might be looking at something a bit "exclusive" when you mentioned about the cheap car image part and also it is stronger on the safety front.
I own a Grand i10 and I am happy with it. The only downside is that the safety features are only available in the top trim and that too as an option. That is what bugs me even today.
Otherwise it is comfortable, feature packed and okay to drive. Easy to maintain as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks