Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 20:27   #61
BHPian

Thanks for the replies.

The problem appears any time in the day when the car is started for the first time for the day. There is no blue smoke from the exhaust but white smoke which comes out in parts (not continuous).

I will try the hot water theory in some time and update you guys. We haven't taken the car to its family doctor (he has been servicing the car for 2 years now) yet.
Old 21st October 2009, 20:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Regarding starting problem,what about starter motor issue?may be brushes may have finished their life.time to overhaul?
Old 28th October 2009, 11:35   #63
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

the Local Mechanic seems very suspect. Pls go to an authorized A.S.S. once.

The first overheating issue seems to be on account of the coolant replacement and cleaning not being done properly.

If there is a gasket issue it is major and will exhibit itself in many other ways due to what all can go wrong due to a blown gasket, including exhaust smoke, knock, back pressure etc.

Starting problem could be due to the glow plugs as mentioned by tsk1979.

Check if the AC Fan (different from the radiator fan) is working.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:14   #64
BHPian

I forgot to udpate the thread. Car came back yesterday from a highly recommended mechanic (my bro is not convinced to send the car to TASS, he feels that local mechanics can be trusted over TASS).

All the issues are resolved. The gasket was replaced. Some head surface was cleaned/corrected. Some heat plugs were replaced. Old coolant had totally gone, so new coolant was added. Bill came to 2800/-.
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:40   #65
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I forgot to udpate the thread. Car came back yesterday from a highly recommended mechanic (my bro is not convinced to send the car to TASS, he feels that local mechanics can be trusted over TASS).

All the issues are resolved. The gasket was replaced. Some head surface was cleaned/corrected. Some heat plugs were replaced. Old coolant had totally gone, so new coolant was added. Bill came to 2800/-.
The cost that this work was done for is good, and you got off relatively cheaply, I presume this was another better local mechanic, because the first one seems to have caused the damage in the first place.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:09   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The cost that this work was done for is good, and you got off relatively cheaply, I presume this was another better local mechanic, because the first one seems to have caused the damage in the first place.
Yes, this was another local mechanic different from the one who cleaned the coolant tank/pipes etc.

This mechanic was chosen after talking to some 8-9 different people having TATA/diesel vehicles and who are regularly getting their vehicles serviced by him.

My family did a long trip (175+ kms) after the car came back and none of the overheating or starting problems were faced.

Thanks everybody for promptly replying and helping us out.
Old 9th November 2009, 07:28   #67

Indica DLX 2003/Sep, 54000 KM run - Advice required

Hi All,

As I mentioned, I am looking for used Indica Diesel car.

Yesterday we have seen a used Indica 2003/Sep model and ran 54000 KM. It is from individual at the age of 40+(seems to be soft guy in car usage) not from dealer.

I took my friend who owns trucks for first cut inspection. I haven't taken any professional mechanics along with me. The quoted price is RS 180000 for DLX 2003/Sep model, but I am no more qualified to judge the price (newbie). There is no extra accessories, no alloy wheels, normal tube tyres.
The owner has already bought Maruti Swift.

Here is the summary of the car.

1. Oil didn't spill out when opened the notch of oil level check stick and when the car is on
2. Initially it was so much of smoke emitted when car is just on and when we accelerate the car. The smoke in block color and then it turns to be white color.
3. When we turn on AC, the car immediately lost its energy, then move slowly
4. Front two tires are new.
5. Car seats are almost gone. We need to replace the car
6. When we start the car, we can hear so much of noise, which my friend told me that all diesel vehicles are like that. When we move the car on first & second gear, the noise is slowly reduced and in third gear, we can't hear the noise.
7. Pioneer mp3 player
8. The car is on his employer name, needs to be transfered to my name
9. As per owner, he serviced his car for every 5000 KM
10. Battery replaced 1.5 years back

The owner has not done any work on suspension, breaks, clutch, wind chill is not replaced.

What are the things I should take care when the KM run is 54000 KM? What are the parts MAY be replaced during the service? Any idea about approximate price for spare parts?

When we see the car service regards, what are the thins should I verify?

I am thinking of visit again with a good mechanic (I need someone in Bangalore) to inspect the car.

I stay in Bangalore, please give me right direction.

Last edited by karikrishni : 9th November 2009 at 07:35. Reason: battery infomation updated
Old 9th November 2009, 07:57   #68
BHPian

Its way too expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by karikrishni View Post
Hi All,
Here is the summary of the car.

1. Oil didn't spill out when opened the notch of oil level check stick and when the car is on
2. Initially it was so much of smoke emitted when car is just on and when we accelerate the car. The smoke in block color and then it turns to be white color.
The owner has not done any work on suspension, breaks, clutch, wind chill is not replaced.
I stay in Bangalore, please give me right direction.
This car should not ever be more than Rs1,20,000.
Other than the dipstick removal thing you should also check for smoke bellowing out of the orifice into which you put the oil.
Old 9th November 2009, 12:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support:

Threads merged. Please use the excellent search function to search for an existing topic before starting a new one.
Old 12th November 2009, 08:32   #70

Is Indica 2003 Sep model comes under BS-III? If not buying an 6 years old used car with BS-II will be OK for next 5 years?
Old 12th November 2009, 11:03   #71
Senior - BHPian

IIRC both BSIII and BSII models were available side by side ( even when i was buying mine in 2007)
Old 26th November 2009, 10:15   #72

Hi All,

My car hunting is over. Finally settled with Indica DLX model.

Here are summary if it is useful for someone for price range:

City: Bangalore

Make: Tata Indica DLX
Model: September 2003
Engine Manufacture Month: Aug/2003, Pune (Got this after interpreting the make number)

Chases Manufacture Month: Aug/2003, Pune

Number of KM run : 57000
Color: Stone Blue

Car Price: RS 155000

White Board car
Single owner
Car is under the lease from corporate, driven by the single owner (Tax saving deal)

Pioneer Music Player (CD with USB support, NO DVD) with normal front side speakers

Here are the documents & stuffs to be collected under my knowledge. Thanks to the group for providing the list. Here I put it together.

Ownership Transfer Official Documents:
# Form no CMV 29 in duplicate.
# Form no. CMV 30. (The car is under lease from corporate)
# NOC from Yeswantpur RTO (One RTO to Another RTO with in Karnataka/Bangalore)

Karnataka State Reference:
-- Transport Department
-- Transport Department

Car Documents:
Original RC
Insurance Certificate
Life time Tax Certificate
Pollution Under Control Certificate
Original Invoice
Service bills till date if possible

Car materials comes with Car:
Spare Wheel
Jack
Tools
Hazzard Triangle
Covers
Extras:
Music Player/Speaker

Let me know anything else I need to collect from the owner.
Tomorrow morning we will bring the car to home and after doing a little pooja :-)

I thank Tata Indica users yahoo group members and Team-BHPian for your kind help and information.

Regards,

Krish
Old 26th November 2009, 13:05   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karikrishni
Let me know anything else I need to collect from the owner.
I will recommend(for all Indica's Especially till 2003) To check the Chassis(Underside) for Rusting and Patch works(I faced this!).
Take the car to a Water Service Station Ramp/High Lift and Check the Chassis thoroughly.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:52   #74

Thanks for suggestion. we will check it tomorrow.

Is Lifetime Tax certificate Endorsed in RC book itself? any idea?
Old 26th November 2009, 14:38   #75

As per indica user group, it seems like the govt issues tax cert along with RC book till 2004 and they started issuing separate slip for tax paid certificate.
thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks