Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2006, 18:41   #1
BANNED

Should I buy a used Indica ?

I know that in Team-BHP there are a lot of admirers as well as haters for Indica. I also know about all the pros and cons of Indica and it's being hated mainly because of it's poor engine refinement. And it's being admired because of it's high VFM. I've heard that Indicas are having poor resale values.

I have plannned to buy a diesel Indica since my budget is below 2 lakhs and also I'm having another car for family use. Also I need a car which is much safer, roomier and with better ride quality than the Altos/Zens/Santros etc and the ride quality is of utmost importance to me since the roads here are pretty bad.

And my monthly running is just 500 KM and I know that buying a diesel for such usage doesn't make sense, BUT most of the 2nd hand Indicas available are diesels and the price difference between a diesel and a petrol Indica is very less.

So what things should be noted when buying a used Indica ? I've some doubts regarding used Indicas...
  1. Is it better to opt only V2 models and in which year was the V2 introduced ?
  2. Which model should I prefer among DLE, DLS, DLG & DLX, although I know about the model differences ?
  3. I've heard that Indicas need overhauling of the engine & suspension at 80,000 KMS, Is that true ?
  4. What will be the prices for 2002/03/04 models in the 2nd hand markets ?
  5. Can I buy extended warranty for an used Indica ?
  6. What maintenance work should I do immediately after buying ?
  7. What is the total cost for a normal 5000 KM service ?
OR is it wise to go for used Palio petrol which is available for under 2 lakhs ?

Help me to clear up my mind...
Old 28th July 2006, 18:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Because your travel is only 500 KMS/month, why not used Palio 1.2? You should find well maintained cars with in your budget. You will get a solid build quality, nice refined engine, decent pickup, big car feel and a mileage of 10 KMPL.
Old 28th July 2006, 19:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

If your running is less than 500kms a month, it doesnt make any sense to go for a diesel car in the first place. The cost of maintaining a diesel car such as Indica will be more or equal to the saving you get on running on diesel.

Hence if your running is less, makes more sense to stick to petrol cars. I dont think tougher means safer. Indica's body may be tough. Thats not enough to adequately protect you from effects of a collision. See where TATA features in the JD power list for customer satisfaction. View this report:
http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/...asp?ID=2005200

This may sound outrageous, but I wont even suggest you buy a new Indica let alone a used one. TATA has a long way to go on improving their cars. Sometimes its so difficult to shrug off that truck maker image and showing off some chicks in the ads wont sell cars!!!

The Decision is yours...........

Last edited by mail4ajo : 28th July 2006 at 19:12.
Old 28th July 2006, 20:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
If your running is less than 500kms a month, it doesnt make any sense to go for a diesel car in the first place. The cost of maintaining a diesel car such as Indica will be more or equal to the saving you get on running on diesel.

Hence if your running is less, makes more sense to stick to petrol cars. I dont think tougher means safer. Indica's body may be tough. Thats not enough to adequately protect you from effects of a collision. See where TATA features in the JD power list for customer satisfaction. View this report:
http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/...asp?ID=2005200

This may sound outrageous, but I wont even suggest you buy a new Indica let alone a used one. TATA has a long way to go on improving their cars. Sometimes its so difficult to shrug off that truck maker image and showing off some chicks in the ads wont sell cars!!!

The Decision is yours...........
Your views are your own, but the JD power report mentions nothing about safety. Tata have their own state of the art in house testing facility, and indica is a pretty safe car(its sold in Europe, remember).

And mithun, for 500km/month, go for a used petrol car. You will get a similar price. It is difficult to find well maintained indica's in market. The indian market still considers a car well maintained if its paint is original. You may take care of a car very well, but one minor fendor bender(which may be just a nasty scratch) your resale goes for a toss. However keep her free from scratches and abuse like hell you can still get a good price.
Indica's are bought by people who run the car a lot, so in the used car market you will find high mileage cars mostly unless the owner got fed up due to lemon issues or just wants to go up the status ladder. But finding that out is a daunting task.
Old 28th July 2006, 20:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Indica's are bought by people who run the car a lot, so in the used car market you will find high mileage cars mostly unless the owner got fed up due to lemon issues or just wants to go up the status ladder. But finding that out is a daunting task.
Mithun, you query has been answered. Both reasons, why people sell Diesel Indicas are highlighted in tsk's post.

Imagine buying a used diesel car which had taken a lot of thrashing by running so much distance and having quality issues right from the time it comes from the factory..........Gives me nightmares . Do you want to spend money and get yourself a dog that bites it own master?? (Sorry, I have been so critical here, but had to since I know of many such examples)
Old 28th July 2006, 21:33   #6
BHPian

Between Palio & Indica, i suggest palio. If possible esteem as jathinrao suggested.
Old 28th July 2006, 21:46   #7
BHPian

with a budget of 2 lacs you can surely get a 2001 model esteem. and if you cant have that then i think the palio is a better option.
Old 28th July 2006, 23:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo

mail4ajo,

The statement about high maintainance cost of Indica is totally incorrect. I have OHC VTEC, NHC and Indica diesel. My Indica is two years old and I haven't had any problems with it. It runs about 600 kms every month. The only maintainance cost that I have spent is on regular scheduled service. It is a great VFM car in every respect.

Mithun,

My advise would be to buy a Palio. Indica diesel (non turbo) is great if you are paying someone to drive it .
Old 29th July 2006, 07:40   #9
BANNED

So taking up everyone's advice I've decided not to go for any Indicas.

But how is the comfort of Esteem both at the rear & front ?

Among Palio Petrol & Esteem, which is more comfortable (especially for bad roads) ?

Most of the dealers at Cochin are quoting a price of about 1.9 lakhs for 2001 Palio ELX petrols. Is it too high ?

At what price can I get a 2001/02 ELX models as well as 2001/02 Esteems ?
Old 29th July 2006, 10:29   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Palio is a lot more comfortable on the inside than the Esteem, and has a far better suspension to tackle bad roads. In your budget, you could also consider a 1.6 Palio.

GTO
Old 29th July 2006, 13:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Getting in and out of rear seat of Esteem can be quite uncomfortable.

You can check the following site for used car prices (the site seems to be down right now but was up a couple of days back)

jmdcars.com/marketpriceforallusedcars.asp
Old 29th July 2006, 15:44   #12
BHPian

used Indica.

Hi I have a 3.5 year Indica which I have run for 41K Km. Till Date I have not had any issues with maintainanace etc. Yes the engine is rough and yes the plastics are not so great. But which other car gives you 17.6 kmpl on the highway with 4 ppl + luggage + full ac and 14kmpl in bumper to bumper city traffic? All This for Diesel price too. There is no cheaper car to run today. If you take care of the car with regular maintainance there should be zero nasty surprises. This is my personal opinion. I am now selling my car to upgrade to the turbo ( the wife wants an indigo since the boot will hold more luggage when we go on holidays). Hope this helps. Sub 2L will get you a good 2 year old V2.
Old 29th July 2006, 18:03   #13
BHPian

i sold my 2001 esteem in feb for 2.05 vx model , and i think you can guess the price now.
Old 30th July 2006, 11:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Indica ROCKS..if you can take it to the dealer every 3000 Kms and get it checked..and yes it is one of the cheaper cars to run..
Old 31st July 2006, 04:44   #15
BANNED

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful replies....

Last edited by mithun : 31st July 2006 at 04:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks