Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2022, 22:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Need advice for first car | Safety, comfort & stability under 10-lakh rupees

I was in your shoes few years back. Following are my suggestions based on my learning -
  • Get a turbo, it is actually borderline unsafe to not have quick power sometimes during overtakes.
  • Get an automatic, city driving is a great pain already, don’t compound it with a manual.
  • Get a car with higher seating, it provides better visibility and is more comfortable.
  • Make sure the car has a rear wiper.
cryptarchy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 22:34   #17
BHPian

Re: Need advice for first car | Safety, comfort & stability under 10-lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz_nomad View Post
Any options other than the Honda Jazz for automatics given my priority sorted preferences above?
Sadly there are not many options below 10lakh for proper ATs-
Honda Jazz CVT 1.2 NA
Hyundai i20 CVT 1.2 NA

Slightly over 10 lakh i can think of-
Brezza Zxi /Scross Delta AT 1.5 NA

Take test drives of Punch AMT, Ignis AMT, Baleno AMT before ruling out AMTs completely.

I think Cheapest Turbo ATs are Magnite/Kiger CVT

Turbo + Auto clutch MTs-
i20 Sportz iMT
Sonet Htk+ iMT
Venue SX+ iMT
AjinkyaP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 23:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

My suggestions are:

Honda Jazz V CVT
4th gen Honda City ZX CVT (Sparingly used 2018 or newer)
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 12:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Any reason for not considering the S-Cross? It rides excellently, handles predictably, brakes well, offers excellent all-around visibility and will be cheap to maintain while also being one of the few well-built marutis.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 13:11   #20
BHPian

Unfortunately S-Cross, Brezza are over budget. Also they are larger cars. I'm not ruling out AMTs... as long as they meet the safety constraint and service network.

Is there an official team-bhp review of the Honda Jazz BS6? I see one but it seems to be from 2015.
Old 2nd March 2022, 20:20   #21
BHPian

Ok folks. I just came back after a test drive of the Atroz XZ+ i-turbo petrol.
Don't know if I just had a bad piece, but definitely not what I expected.
  1. The engine was noisy. (A lot more than the swift I've been used too.)
  2. There was quite a shudder each time it started up.
  3. Overall throughout the ride (It was peak traffic time.. max we went to was 50/60kmph and for some parts bumper to bumper traffic) lots of vibration coming in.
  4. The back seat was a little too upright as correctly noted in the Altroz review.
  5. Also while I was in the back seat... definitely could feel every bump/trough in the road. Was pretty much like sitting on a firm bench.
#1,2,3 put together - Just didn't feel like a petrol vehicle. Let alone a 11L car at that. Definitely not the comfort level I was looking for.

The vehicle had ~1000km on the odo and was a 2022 piece as per the sales person.

In short... I'm no longer considering the Altroz. Just didn't like the feel of the drive overall, despite great looks and interiors.

I also tried out a Tiago CNG+Petrol .. this was a relatively better ride (and given the drop in size easier to drive as well). However, still not what I am looking for interms of a smooth comfortable drive.

Looking forward to the Honda Jazz.
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:59   #22
BHPian

Why not try the base variant of C-SUVs like XUV300, Venue and Sonet? Omitting Nexon since you didn't like the refinement of Altroz, but a test drive won't hurt.

For starters, the ingress-egress and ground clearance are superior compared to the hatchbacks.

XUV300 compromises on boot space but provides a luxurious 2nd row(width and legroom), whereas the Korean twins have decent backseat space along with a spacious boot. From personal experience the Korean twins have enough width for 3 people with average build.

The XUV300 base variant comes equipped with the turbo petrol.

Service wise, the Korean twins may fare better, whereas XUV comes with a 5 star crash rating.

Also if you can stretch your budget a little, you can get the iMT turbo variant of Venue/Sonet depending on your preference. That 1 litre turbo is quite fun!
SoupRaw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
All Excellent Inputs - Thanks folks.
I'm kind of tending towards the MT. Given the long time I'm likely to stick with it, the AT would definitely make life easier, but alas that alternative simply doesn't exist at this point for the Altroz - since it is atleast a year down the line before I can get it. I just don't see myself buying and selling a car in the time between.

Out of curiosity - If I get a manual now, By any chance will it be possible to convert it to Auto say a couple of years down the line?

Actually that is very deliberate. I made up my minding on buying a car Jan itself, but decided to wait till march. I thought it would take a while for test drives et all, so if I start on 1st Mar, it should be in the later half that I will be getting down to booking it - and that would be ideal. But do you think I should put this off by a couple of weeks? I was planning to contact dealers this week itself to lookout and TD.
You have made a great choice for your first new car. Turbocharged manual. I got the 2007 OG diesel swift, manual only back then. What GTO said about working a manual gearbox on the highways is spot on.
It wasn't my first car, but I find it hard to recall the ones that came before. Was a real stonker, rocked it for 1.5L km in 7 years. Life is to short to be worrying about resale values on your first car.
Go for it!!
Uthappa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:59   #24
BHPian

Since you already drove and liked the Ignis, why have you not considered it in your shortlist?

I drive a manual car myself and while it is a pain to drive in bumper to bumper traffic, I still prefer it over the automatics I have driven because of the amount of control it gives me in terms of working the transmission. Automatics just don't provide that level of engagement but undoubtedly their convenience cannot be denied. So I would support you in your quest for an MT, despite advice to the contrary on this forum.

I am a bit surprised with your experience with the Altroz. It could have been an issue with the particular test drive car, so try and get another test drive done from a different showroom. However, am not sure that the comparatively low Altroz would be great in terms of ingress for your mother. Hence my suggestion would be to try out the Punch which will probably be an easier car to get in and out of. It doesn't have a Turbo but with your kind of use you can live without one. Honda Jazz is also a great choice if everything works out in terms of suspension and ergonomics.

While I usually do not recommend Maruti because of their shoddy build quality and light weight - if you are willing to overlook that aspect, even the Wagon R is another car you can consider. It will be within your budget, has a superior engine compared to the Tata, and rides well and is easy to get in and out of. Since you don't exceed 100 on highways, you will also be able to live with the poor high speed stability that comes from its tall boy design and light weight. Plus with Maruti (and Tata) getting service stations in remote areas is not really a problem.

Hence, if not the Altroz, Punch or Jazz, do also consider the Wagon R and Ignis.
Neversaygbye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:01   #25

Quote:
Any options other than the Honda Jazz for automatics given my priority sorted preferences above?
I am a first-time driver like you. Bought Kiger RXZ turbo CVT 3 months ago and I am very happy with the purchase. I liked the space, smoothness of CVT, road view, boot space and its looks. You may consider this and have a test drive. Good luck with your car search!
535raj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Ok folks. I just came back after a test drive of the Atroz XZ+ i-turbo petrol.
Don't know if I just had a bad piece, but definitely not what I expected.

Looking forward to the Honda Jazz.
My experience visiting Tata Motors in Bangalore is that their test cars are not well kept and give you a very bad impression.

I did own Jazz MT for 5+ years and never had issues even for a day other than periodic servicing. It has excellent rear seat comfort and the cabin is pretty silent as well. I have not driven CVT, but few friends own it and quite happy for sedate drives. Jazz is not for spirited / fun driving.

I cannot comment on Punch and Altroz, but I would suggest you take long and multiple test drives to experience and then decide. Good luck
Carz77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
Since you already drove and liked the Ignis, why have you not considered it in your shortlist?
Mainly two reasons 1) Safety 2) looks. Primarily the safety aspect. I actually like the drive on it very much. Now post the Altroz TD, I'm seriously rethinking this aspect... I will still prefer safety, so going to try out the Jazz. If I'm not satisfied there as well, I'll seriously be looking at the Ignis again.

Quote:
I am a bit surprised with your experience with the Altroz. It could have been an issue with the particular test drive car, so try and get another test drive done from a different showroom.
Yes, I kinda also wonder if that was the case. Apart from the issues mentioned, it also set off my motion sickness. Stepping off the Vehicle, I felt that a long drive in this will leave me drained. But all the reviews seem to be indicating otherwise... one is hard pressed to find a negative review about it. Considering this, I'm really wondering if it was just the piece I got that day. I had a friend with 15 years behind the wheel also accompany me, He kind of felt underwhelmed too about the vibrations coming in and the noise (but then he is used to a Honda city). Also, since this was the XZ+ it had the R16 wheels, team-bhp review also noted that suspension was firm on these. So overall, I'm thinking of doing on more TD on it in a different showroom, hopefully on a lower variant.

Quote:

However, am not sure that the comparatively low Altroz would be great in terms of ingress for your mother. Hence my suggestion would be to try out the Punch which will probably be an easier car to get in and out of. It doesn't have a Turbo but with your kind of use you can live without one. Honda Jazz is also a great choice if everything works out in terms of suspension and ergonomics.
Among the two, looks wise I liked the Punch more. But was worried about the engine. The TD on that altroz sort of turned me off from tata in general. Nevertheless will give this a try as well.

Quote:

While I usually do not recommend Maruti because of their shoddy build quality and light weight - if you are willing to overlook that aspect, even the Wagon R is another car you can consider. It will be within your budget, has a superior engine compared to the Tata, and rides well and is easy to get in and out of. Since you don't exceed 100 on highways, you will also be able to live with the poor high speed stability that comes from its tall boy design and light weight. Plus with Maruti (and Tata) getting service stations in remote areas is not really a problem.
That is true. But If I'm going with a Maruti, I'd probably get the Ignis.

Thanks a lot for you inputs. Very much appreciated.
blitz_nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:53   #28

I think Punch would be the best bet for you, even I am personally in love with the looks of it. And it does seem to fit all your requirements. Punch 2nd row is pretty good and it has a large boot.
Gaurav_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:08   #29
BHPian

Out of the options you have shortlisted, I would choose the Honda Jazz in Automatic configuration though. Autogear makes driving a lot easier, particularly for a small city car. We can see its becoming much common may be we are not far from the Western concept of almost all cars are autogear except for the enthusiast ones which are stick driven.

Also you could go check out the 2022 Baleno, MSIL says it has improved the build and it comes with bells and whistles like a Hyundai. Afterall MSIL's ownership experience is top notch.
architect_santo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:15   #30
BHPian

Welcome to the forum Blitz nomad!

I am in the same boat as you, I am hunting for a safe and comfortable car under Rs.10 lakh budget for my in laws and have done some research on all available options. Just like you, Safety is on top of my priority list along with an AT variant and that limits the choices to either Tata punch or Honda twins i.e. Jazz & Amaze.

In-fact this is the sorry truth of Indian Automotive industry that the segment which accounts for the most volume has the least number of 4+ star rated cars.

I personally didn't like the plasticky feel of cabin material in Tata Punch, it doesnt feel premium at all and I didn't feel like i was in a car worth a million rupees. & yes the cabin felt Claustrophobic.

Based on your top 3 priority I would suggest go for Honda Jazz or Honda Amaze for below reasons:

1. Both cars are 4 star GNCAP rated.

2. You CAN'T feel claustrophobic in either of them, I myself suffers from it & I felt absolutely at ease in the back seat. In fact Jazz will simply amaze you( no pun intended here ) for the space & roominess it offers for a sub 4 meter car. Even Amaze is good in space management. on top of it, the combination of black & beige color in cabin increase the roominess overall.

3. Honda is known for its reliability, at least this part of their reputation is still intact. you can buy an RSA & extended guarantee which comes at additional cost for 4th & 5th year.

4. Back seat comfort of Amaze should be good based on the generous cushioning and relatively high head rest of seat and good thigh support. however in some of long term reviews on YouTube it is said that due to slightly firm suspension, its back seat comfort suffers. Amaze owners can put more light on it.

5. Back seat comfort of Jazz is not that great for tall passengers, but it should be good enough for short passengers ( my wife is 5'3'' and she was pretty happy during test drive. Though the magic seat are gone & even top end variant doesn't get 60:40 split option. Again Jazz owners can give feedback if there is any way to increase the backseat comfort like custom build seat covers with increased headrest height. ( I am personally exploring this option as for me it is the decision making point between Jazz & Amaze, request bhpians to give suggestions please)

6. out of Amaze & Jazz below are the comparison points based on the TDs I have taken so far:
  • as a driver Jazz is better choice, it is better built, feels more premium & is has better controlled NVH level on highways & that is why it weighs more and is priced higher.
  • as a backseat passenger I am more comfortable in Amaze, but the driver's seat has poor thigh support for a tall driver, should be okay for a medium heighted person. Fit & finish and the cabin material quality of amaze too is not at par with jazz or other cars in competition.
  • Jazz's 354ltr and Amaze's 420 ltr boot is sufficient for carrying luggage on long drives.

If you consider the CVT version of either cars, they come with Peddle shifter ( jazz in both variant & Amaze in top end variant). and they helps in getting some juice out of 1.2 litre engine for overtaking. on straight road both are good to drive but mind you that you will not get the 'V-Tec kicked in yo!' feeling from this Honda engine anymore. Fun factor is missing but for a sedate driver it is still the most refined and smooth motor & should serve you well for next 5-10 years.

On the other choice, as we hear that Tata Altroz DCT has also been announced, everyone on that forum is bashing the combination & I don't know if it can be recommended. besides it's launch is sometime away and one should wait to get the first user feedback. if your buying time horizon is long ( say until June-July ) then wait for it to come out and it's reviews.

Good luck

Last edited by Strider24 : 3rd March 2022 at 16:42.
Strider24 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks