Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 18:28   #91
BHPian

This must be one of the fastest growing threads on tbhp. And probably the most entertaining ones. Hats off to ritz830, automotive knowledge be damned...
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:23   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
This must be one of the fastest growing threads on tbhp. And probably the most entertaining ones. Hats off to ritz830, automotive knowledge be damned...
Actually Not. There was another thread which was the fastest ever.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...est-world.html
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:51   #93
BHPian

I know, therefore I said "one of the fastest".
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:53   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Actually Not. There was another thread which was the fastest ever.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...est-world.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
I know, therefore I said "one of the fastest".
Ok. It's time to move on from this thread...

Ritz ! next is what?
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:38   #95
BHPian

We have 4 cars in the family. One is the puny 800 which is a standby, other WagonR driven by my sister and an Accent and a Scorpio driven by self. Wife drives her own Accent. In the past I have driven 800 and WagonR before these cars serving their current roles. Today also given a choice I prefer to drive the so called Non cars out of the four (WagonR and 800).

Quote:
I know most of the first time buyers are newbies in driving. These small cars are designed to meet the needs of a new driver. In other words, they have capitalized on the fear factor of the newbies.
Basically, the above factors give a sense of easiness to the driver.
Yes they surely give a feeling of easiness. Curse me for this but I love this feeling of easiness.
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:04   #96
BHPian

ot- Ritz, i'm amazed ur still managing out there.
Ur patience is appreciated. In this world, it is something that commands great respect.
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:30   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
Ok. It's time to move on from this thread...

Ritz ! next is what?
Its gonna be about Tata Nano. I love that car.
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:34   #98
BHPian

I will add my two cents to this thread. I drive a M800 5sp and find it to be an amazing car. Great engine, direct steering, okayish ride and handling. It reminds me of a mongoose, a small animal but with tremendous fighting spirit, which allows it to take on much larger animals. What it does lack when compared to the UVA/Palio etc is that feeling of safety. I do admit that I feel insecure on the highways in it. I think (maybe I am wrong) it still is one of the best city cars around.
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:39   #99
BHPian

Since our latest 'Car Guru' has more or less spent all his much-touted knowledge on VSHBs and he thinks Tata Nano is the next topic of discussion, its perhaps time to close this thread. Mods, please be kind enough to close this thread with a vote of thanks to 'Guruji'.

Thank you ritz for the advice. But I am booking a Spark for my Papa, because he can only drive a non-car .
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:44   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Know-how, Made-easy, Over-simplified or simply the answers to all your questions

When we talk about torque its a grossly misunderstood experience. The very small hatchback have very good low-rpm torque, but serve no purpose in the city. U-VA/Gets/Palio is claimed to have poor low-rpm torque.

Basically, this extra torque is an addiction whichquenches the ego of a person while he is in a traffic jam. (In India, there is no scarcity of such people) Going through those small gapes and overtaking those bigger cars in a traffic jam wont take you any more faster. Not even 5 minutes earlier. I have seen lots of small cars which jerk ahead after they see the green lights, but in the longer stretch they obviously fall back.

A car is supposed to commute a person from pt A to B with comfort, safety and luxury. Gets/U-VA/Palio are unique kind of small cars which offer ultimate comfort to the driver(not even Swift), and makes the city driving look like a cruise, a magic carpet ride.

If you say many are stuck with a budget i.e 3.5 lakhs. Go for the A-star which offers similar kind of experience. And also the added torque which serves no purpose as I said before. A-star can handle city and highways fluently. Also FYI. Palio is 3.5 lakhs and it offers a flying carpet feel. it does not have the jerky unwanted low end torque which anyway has no purpose.
And talking about SUV. That is a different segment, and even there, one can find cars which are designed very bad. But people buy them still and claim them as SUV, but they are actually MPV (multi-purpose vehicles). They dont offer you the luxury or comfort of driving, but again the jerky low-end torque ride just to fool the customers.
Dude, you do realise that there are engineers amongst Team-BHPians? If you think you know what torque is, you are wrong. I'm quite sure no one intends to be rude, but I suggest you read before coming to baseless and basically incorrect assumptions, and then begin treating them as if they were graven in stone.

You prefer the Palio (specifically), Getz and U-VA. We get it. Quit making them into the Gods among hatchbacks.

As far as the "longer stretches" are concerned, where these (what is the word, now that "car" is forbidden!!) smaller hatches will "obviously" fall back, I suggest you try getting ahead of any one of these in your true "car" within the city and then see who reaches their destination quicker.

And finally, please quit contradicting yourself. Stick to either city or highway. If it is highway performance you speak of, then don't give examples of traffic jams and jerkiness related to your warped understanding of torque. If you refer to the city, well I'm not sure where your argument comes from or is going. There is, as we say in hindi "na sar na pair" (I can make out neither heads nor tails of it). If a "small hatchback" can get to 100 sooner than one of your Cars, and there are speed limits in "the cities of the future". Well, that's a no-brainer, isn't it? Hmm, now that's a thought!
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:22   #101
Senior - BHPian

I am currently driving a Accent CRDi ...

As soon as it releases, I am switching to i10 CRDi ....

Oh my God! I am going to become a newbie driver again!!!
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:40   #102
Senior - BHPian

Torque?

Quote:
- These cars don't have the Power or the torque
Quote:
When we talk about torque its a grossly misunderstood experience. The very small hatchback have very good low-rpm torque, but serve no purpose in the city. U-VA/Gets/Palio is claimed to have poor low-rpm torque.
Right...

PS. I love Zip driving in my nimble, light steering equipped, high-seated, clear visibility blessed, fuel efficient Spark which has far less body roll than a U-VA, and can certainly beat it while clipping along on the highway at 110. But then I think
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:36   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
I will add my two cents to this thread. I drive a M800 5sp and find it to be an amazing car. Great engine, direct steering, okayish ride and handling. It reminds me of a mongoose, a small animal but with tremendous fighting spirit, which allows it to take on much larger animals. What it does lack when compared to the UVA/Palio etc is that feeling of safety. I do admit that I feel insecure on the highways in it. I think (maybe I am wrong) it still is one of the best city cars around.
Yes 800 is an amazing car. Infact, I dint say anything about 800/Alto. If you had seen the first post, all the cars which I was talking against where having the Tall boyish design (high centre of gravity).

I coudnt comment anything about 800/Alto because they are outdated cars. If I had to say anything about the 800/Alto. They have one of the best driving comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I think this is right time to get back to the title of the thread

ritz, you may start putting in the +ve points of the car which will certainly help a potential buyer looking for small cars.
I can say only one thing. A-star is released, so if you want a small CAR and plan to have it for 10years, then this is it.
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:40   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Right...

PS. I love Zip driving in my nimble, light steering equipped, high-seated, clear visibility blessed, fuel efficient Spark which has far less body roll than a U-VA, and can certainly beat it while clipping along on the highway at 110. But then I think
Dude, Spark is designed for those who are short <5.5ft. The driving comfort is the only big disadvantage of it. The roll is minimal. U-va has more roll than spark?? lol. Yea dream on.

Last edited by ritz830 : 23rd December 2008 at 22:44.
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:42   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I am currently driving a Accent CRDi ...

As soon as it releases, I am switching to i10 CRDi ....

Oh my God! I am going to become a newbie driver again!!!
i10 crdi ??? Dude i10 wont be able to handle that engine.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks