Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 20:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

as per the new scoop the polo price starts from 4L but have to wait until march/april 2010
Old 1st December 2009, 20:39   #32

Hi Rastapopoulos,

1. Alto - space would be cramped as stated by many over here.
2. Wagon R- not much to rave about the rear seats.
3. Spark -- Looks good, but yet to prove itself.

That leaves out Santro and i10.

If you can stretch your budget a little bit you can go for the i10 kappa Magna ( I know, the same happened with me too, started with Alto and ended up with i10, but I am enjoying every bit of it ) It has got front and rear power windows and as far as the music system is concerned you can always get it fitted right there in the showroom too (Though getting it ICEd at another place would be a better idea ) .

I have a i10 Kappa and everytime I take my mom along, she occupies the rear seat and ends up sleeping like a baby 9 out of 10 times. That goes on to say something about the rear seats in i10 and also about the NVH.
Old 1st December 2009, 20:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Shahrukh was also the brand ambassador of Santro. So i am confused with your thinking. Be warned, your parents will NOT like the bouncy ride and poor legroom at the rear in the Santro.
Well the shahrukh is realy immaterial it was on the lighter note. I hope the comment on shahrukh did not hurt you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Correct. I have travelled in Santro's rear seat and its not a good place to be in. And during rains, Vadodaras' roads are potholes and nothing else. I eventually ended up in driver's seat as usual.

@Rastapopoulos :
Have another look at Wagon R. Its got all you need. Its got a high seating position, good space and the bottom end of the motor is also good. Ride quality is not the best, but better than Santro. Boot space is also more usable. The boxy looks pack in a lot of functional features.

If you dont like Wagon R, go for i10.
I actually had the first thought to go for WagonR as its dependable and also has the LPG kit inbuilt. though i am not a fan of the wagonr shape. I seriously think WagonR is like splendor in two wheelers. people will get bored of the car but will not find much problems.

strong options till now seem to be WagonR and i10. I am also tempted to think about Punto.
Polo - I am still clueless on the whole Polo issue

Let me also check on Figo if its coming near future.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st December 2009 at 21:20. Reason: Please avoid posting multiple back to back posts. Use the edit option if posting within 20 min. Thanks
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:16   #34
BHPian

Just checked with someone at the ford dealer who has become a good friend of mine about when can I get more info on Figo pricing. He has given me a carrot to wait for a fortnight. which I think should mean 1 month
However if I try to be optimistic that Figo might be within the budget.
Would it be a safe bet to keep Figo an option? specially when its a new product (it might have its own problems), Ford maintainance is known to be costly.

Also I might not get any discounts or freebies as it would be just launched.

Last edited by Rastapopoulos : 2nd December 2009 at 12:20.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Just checked with someone at the ford dealer who has become a good friend of mine about when can I get more info on Figo pricing. He has given me a carrot to wait for a fortnight. which I think should mean 1 month
Would it be a safe bet to keep Figo an option? specially when its a new product (it might have its own problems), Ford maintainance is known to be costly.

So from i10 to santro to polo and now to figo.Good that you are keeping the BHPians busy with their ideas on 4L budget car. Good way to keep the thread/intrest alive.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Figo is worth the wait. After reading about it on net and ACI, I think they are planning to target Rs. 4 lakh segment. The motors are expected to be fuel efficient. Nothing wrong in waiting and if you dont like the car, then you can anyways come back to WagonR/i10.

Also Ford is trying very hard to reduce the cost of spares. The last I know about this is that Ford has drastically reduced the spares cost for Ikon. They have learnt a lot from our market and now they are getting serious. For the small car, IMO, they have worked towards it a bit and know that they cannot afford to do mistake here. Most likely they will price the spares reasonably and even the servicing is improved a bit.

IMHO, considering that its not matter of more than one month, wait till AutoExpo. Chevrolet Beat is also expected in December, but I am not sure on this. Atleast in Autoexpo you will get a glance of almost all the cars that are coming.

Nissan is also planning to show its small car, production of the car is expected to commence in March IIRC. Toyota will also show its car, but that is not expected before end 2010. But Nissan's small car, Figo and Beat most likely to be present at Auto Expo.

If you are not in a hurry then wait till Auto Expo.
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Among the current cars available in the market, your choice should be either i10 or WagonR. You can get the i10 1.1 Era at around 4L. It's got a/c , power steering and front power windows. For music system, you can always get it fitted aftermarket. 2nd preference would be WagonR. Be aware that a Maruti is cheaper both to own and run in the long term compared to a Hyundai. Whoever says the cost of ownership is more or less same is not aware of the facts. If you are ready to wait for sometime, your options could be widened to the Ford Figo/Chevrolet Beat/ Nissan Micra. All are expected to be on the road around Mar -June 2010 though the Beat may come much sooner. Not sure how many of these would come at 4 lakhs though.
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Check out this thread which is dedicated to Fiat FUGO http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...info-pg19.html
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
So from i10 to santro to polo and now to figo.Good that you are keeping the BHPians busy with their ideas on 4L budget car. Good way to keep the thread/intrest alive.
Polo was not on my list it was a recomendation. So I am not hopping from one brand to another.
Like I said I am just shortlisting the strong contenders which can be test driven and a final decesion can be made.
Thanks to all the Bhpians - as expected I am getting sensible and logical suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Figo is worth the wait. After reading about it on net and ACI, I think they are planning to target Rs. 4 lakh segment. If you are not in a hurry then wait till Auto Expo.
I dont need a vehical tomorrow as they already are running the M800. The only thing which I worry is offer for the 800 in exchange might decrease

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Among the current cars available in the market, your choice should be either i10 or WagonR. You can get the i10 1.1 Era at around 4L. It's got a/c , power steering and front power windows. For music system, you can always get it fitted aftermarket. 2nd preference would be WagonR. Be aware that a Maruti is cheaper both to own and run in the long term compared to a Hyundai. Whoever says the cost of ownership is more or less same is not aware of the facts. If you are ready to wait for sometime, your options could be widened to the Ford Figo/Chevrolet Beat/ Nissan Micra. All are expected to be on the road around Mar -June 2010 though the Beat may come much sooner. Not sure how many of these would come at 4 lakhs though.
I agree with you on the Maruti being cheaper to own and also RUN. This was the reason the top of mind was WagonR .

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd December 2009 at 15:51. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I am not hopping from one brand to another.
don't get offended. I was just summarizing the details

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd December 2009 at 15:51. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:51   #41
BHPian

[quote=shishir_bn;1612124]
Quote:
So I am not hopping from one brand to another.

don't get offended. I was just summarizing the details
Thanks for the Assurance Shishir. you have already been giving some valuable inputs. (Santro is out of the list now for your relief) On the posetive side like you said its really interesting to keep this thread alive. I hope it helps a lot of people including me.
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:11   #42
BHPian

In your list, there are only two futuristic cars - Hyundai i10 & GM Spark.

Santro and WagonR will gradually phased out and Alto even though selling well in India is already an outdated car.

Between the two you can select one, based on following aspects:

Spark : Value for money, quality, handling & ride quality, reliability

i10 : sales & service network, performance, reliability, resale value

But i10 is priced in the higher side, so that you can get the highest model of Spark (LT) at the price of the lowest version of i10 (DLite). If your in laws lives in a city where there is GM coverage, go with Spark. you will never regret at your decision.

Last edited by sunil8089 : 2nd December 2009 at 16:14.
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the Spark is futuristic. Actually it's back from the past. Don't forget that the Spark is basically a modified Daewoo Matiz with a 1 litre engine. Agreed its VFM and a better package than the Alto. But be prepared for fast depreciating resale values with the Spark. IMO you need to look at the Spark only if you are looking at the Alto segment(price wise).
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:54   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you on the Maruti being cheaper to own and also RUN. This was the reason the top of mind was WagonR .
de Gorgonzola, you have set this forum a difficult task! Within your budget it is quite hard to suggest an option that will meet all your requirements, including power windows and integrated audio. For one I would suggest dropping the audio requirement in favour of getting a custom fit one.

I would definitely recommend an i10 if your budget can accomodate the stretch. If not and if you are keen on the Wagon R, suggest you go through the following WagonR Long Term Report from yours truly... Link
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
In your list, there are only two futuristic cars - Hyundai i10 & GM Spark.

Santro and WagonR will gradually phased out and Alto even though selling well in India is already an outdated car.

Between the two you can select one, based on following aspects:

Spark : Value for money, quality, handling & ride quality, reliability

i10 : sales & service network, performance, reliability, resale value

But i10 is priced in the higher side, so that you can get the highest model of Spark (LT) at the price of the lowest version of i10 (DLite). If your in laws lives in a city where there is GM coverage, go with Spark. you will never regret at your decision.
Buying it for parents and wife and not wife's parent . well as per the criteres you have listed. I guess spark has everything except the space I might get in i10. Sales and services for spark might vary depending on location. I need to check the pune dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I don't think the Spark is futuristic. Actually it's back from the past. Don't forget that the Spark is basically a modified Daewoo Matiz with a 1 litre engine. Agreed its VFM and a better package than the Alto. But be prepared for fast depreciating resale values with the Spark. IMO you need to look at the Spark only if you are looking at the Alto segment(price wise).
Price wise I am not looking at this car to be the primary car. for longer drives and trips we would be utilizing the Beasta. This is more of a city car for daily commute for my folks and for those small excursions they might go on once or twice a year which do not interest me. (Although I might offer them the fiesta) also Resale is not on mind. looking for a long term ownership.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks