Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

See i told you. You have set the ball rather balls rolling and now everyone are confused alonsg with you
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,
I was enjoying reading all your recommendations in the position of some ones parent as well as a father in law of some one. If the parent of the member is as of my health and of my age 60plus, In his place I would reject all your recommendations of all of you. None of you have asked about the parent's interest and involvement in driving. If he or she is well experienced in cars which are better than your proposals what they could feel. They might feel that the siblings might not have given a car rather than giving a car of your recommendations.The best thing is to give the option to the concern members to whom you are going to give.
Thanks for giving a Chance in the place of Parent's feeling.
Old 3rd December 2009, 06:58   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post
de Gorgonzola, you have set this forum a difficult task! Within your budget it is quite hard to suggest an option that will meet all your requirements, including power windows and integrated audio. For one I would suggest dropping the audio requirement in favour of getting a custom fit one.

I would definitely recommend an i10 if your budget can accomodate the stretch. If not and if you are keen on the Wagon R, suggest you go through the following WagonR Long Term Report from yours truly... Link
mr walker - yes with such a huge discussion I have realized audio system is really secondary. I am on the WagonR link understanding the product more. like I previously said WagonR is according to me what splendor was in two wheelers. dependable and no complaints. just people got bored of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
See i told you. You have set the ball rather balls rolling and now everyone are confused alonsg with you
I agree on the balls rolling. but shishir I think a few things are pretty clear.
1. Santro is out of Q as it might be soon obsolete and instead think about i10
2. Alto too should be out of the list - IF i have the liberty to stretch my budget more than altos cost. (Not because of performance but because it is also an old model and it would have lesser space as compared to the other cars we have been discussing)
3. I should not rush if I can wait for a month so that I can atleast analyze the upcoming models.
4. i10 , WagonR , Spark are still being recommended and also suit my requirements.
Enlightening discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Guys,
I was enjoying reading all your recommendations in the position of some ones parent as well as a father in law of some one. If the parent of the member is as of my health and of my age 60plus, In his place I would reject all your recommendations of all of you. None of you have asked about the parent's interest and involvement in driving. If he or she is well experienced in cars which are better than your proposals what they could feel. They might feel that the siblings might not have given a car rather than giving a car of your recommendations.The best thing is to give the option to the concern members to whom you are going to give.
Navan thanks really a noble thought. you really are thinking from the users point of view. I have already stated in my earlier post on my intentions. I want to shortlist some good options out of which the users would test drive and then select the best option for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Thanks V drive. Like the majority of the fellow bhpians you suggested i10. Actually music system is not at all a requirement for my parents. (however I feel its no point in taking a car with no music system or power windows)

No favourite as per the Test Drives section on Team Bhp I found the below things apart from good interiors and roomy head space.
  • One of the best urban hatchbacks in the country.
  • Due to the narrow design, it can seat only 4 in comfort.
  • Engine is very silent and refined at urban speeds.
  • Cabin is well-insulated from external sounds.
  • Foot pedals are weirdly placed and take some getting used to. Dead pedal boosts comfort.
  • Huge rear view mirrors offer fantastic visibility.
  • Authorised CNG kit available.
  • Very light and easy to drive; a hit with the women.
Plus my Uncle owns a Santro from say 4-5 years and not heard any major complain yet.

I am not yet inclined on anything. I plan to shortlist a few, aske my parents and wife to test drive all of them coz they are the users. And then chose one.
But want some strong reasons for the shortlisted cars so test drives and selection can be focused and decisive.

To add to this. I am not sure on the cost factor. I need to go and check the actual on road price for an i10 after all elligible discounts.
Old 3rd December 2009, 08:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Whats the AT box?
Automatic Transmission.
i10 Magna AT is the version I was talking about.
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

"Rastapopoulos" i am happy that atelast the 4 points are clean now. Fantastic dude. One more thing as everyone told, hold on for another 2-3 months and see what the autofair will tell in the early next year
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:29   #51
BANNED

I think you should go for i10. Its alsot better than others.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Guys,
None of you have asked about the parent's interest and involvement in driving. If he or she is well experienced in cars which are better than your proposals what they could feel. They might feel that the siblings might not have given a car rather than giving a car of your recommendations.The best thing is to give the option to the concern members to whom you are going to give.
++

imo, how the members can ask his parents about their choice.
It was @rastapopoulos, who opened this thread with his requirment and the forum memebrs have been giving their opinions. In all probability, he should have first asked his parents about thier preference, shortlist couple of cars and then ask opinion from forum members?

May be, I feel, after shortlisting one or two cars from the recommendations of members, he will talk to his parents and decide which on to go for?
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:39   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
++

imo, how the members can ask his parents about their choice.
It was @rastapopoulos, who opened this thread with his requirment and the forum memebrs have been giving their opinions. In all probability, he should have first asked his parents about thier preference, shortlist couple of cars and then ask opinion from forum members?

May be, I feel, after shortlisting one or two cars from the recommendations of members, he will talk to his parents and decide which on to go for?

I think there is an overall grey area from communication from my end. A few points to highlight so that it is clear on that I am not ignoring the requirements of the users.

1. Most of the times Users might not be able to be very clear with the requirements they have in mind.
2. I have analyzed my parents requirements and put them in the Original Post.
To reiterate on the user req (explicit requirements are in bold while implicit normal)-
  • 95% City driving
  • Smooth and Controlled drive (Rattle free)
  • Power is not the top most priority as they would not be on a racing spree, a decent power should do.
  • Cost upto 4 Lac (Power Windows + Music system these are my additions as implicit reqs out of whihc I have dropped the later)
  • Easy to maintainance
  • back seat decent space (though this would not occupied by adults 80% of the times, I would surely want it to be comfortable for the 20% it is used)
Finally my approach is
Step 1 - based on the users requirements I am shortlisting a few cars.
Step 2 - Users take rounds of test drives and then decide on what they like.

Clearly I am not finilizing a car. I am finalizing some good options out of which I woudl recomend my parents to select the one which they are comfortable with.

Friends please let me know if I should change my approach if yes, how?

And ofcourse the car to be hatchback etc are too preliminary and already discussed with them.
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

imo, above all requirment meet with i10?
or alternatively INdica vista (if you like TATA cars).
Spark also good but looks bit small, however better than wagon R.

You can still think about more options since you are not in a hurry?

TD all above models and decide (may be take your parents also when doing
the TD)
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

If it's your wife or parents that are going to be driving it's best to go with them and have them take the test drive to find out which one they are most comfortable with. The WagonR offers better visibilty overall as compared to the i10 due to the higher seating postion. So it basically boils down to what they are comfortable with. You can't go wrong with either of the two though I would rate Maruti over Hyundai as far as reliability, FE and A.S.S. is concerned. There is some news doing rounds of a WagonR replacement. Not sure how far this is true, but before April 2010 it will either get a new K series engine or the existing engine will be tuned to meet BS IV norms. So keep that too in mind before making your final decision.

Last edited by longhorn : 3rd December 2009 at 13:52.
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:35   #56
BHPian

Reading your post above.. I still Say you can atleast have a look at Punto 1.2 Active, it meets all those requirements!!!
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:19   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
imo, above all requirment meet with i10?
or alternatively INdica vista (if you like TATA cars).
Spark also good but looks bit small, however better than wagon R.

You can still think about more options since you are not in a hurry?

TD all above models and decide (may be take your parents also when doing
the TD)
I am not too keen on a indica, nothing against Tata. Love safari and nano (How I wish nano made lesser noise and was easily available)
This is really what is on my mind now Nairrk that since there is no real rush I can take a few weeks to evaluate the upcoming options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
If it's your wife or parents that are going to be driving it's best to go with them and have them take the test drive to find out which one they are most comfortable with. The WagonR offers better visibilty overall as compared to the i10 due to the higher seating postion. So it basically boils down to what they are comfortable with. You can't go wrong with either of the two though I would rate Maruti over Hyundai as far as reliability, FE and A.S.S. is concerned. There is some news doing rounds of a WagonR replacement. Not sure how far this is true, but before April 2010 it will either get a new K series engine or the existing engine will be tuned to meet BS IV norms. So keep that too in mind before making your final decision.
Thanks for reminding about the expected WagonR changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Reading your post above.. I still Say you can atleast have a look at Punto 1.2 Active, it meets all those requirements!!!
I never thought about Punto but since you have tempted me take a look at it. I will try to check the on road cost. I still dont think it is near my budget on road. Also not very confident of the A.S.S.
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:55   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I never thought about Punto but since you have tempted me take a look at it. I will try to check the on road cost. I still dont think it is near my budget on road. Also not very confident of the A.S.S.
If there are no offers available, the Punto 1.2 is 4.5L OTR Pune. If they still have the free insurance and extended warranty, it comes down to about 4.35. With corporate discounts, even lower. I would suggest you go have a look at the B U Bhandari workshop and speak to the works manager and a couple of technicians and satisfy yourself about the after sales.

And yes, take a test drive along with all stakeholders
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:08   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
If there are no offers available, the Punto 1.2 is 4.5L OTR Pune. If they still have the free insurance and extended warranty, it comes down to about 4.35. With corporate discounts, even lower. I would suggest you go have a look at the B U Bhandari workshop and speak to the works manager and a couple of technicians and satisfy yourself about the after sales.

And yes, take a test drive along with all stakeholders
Point taken SamtheLeo alread has seeded the thought of adding punto as an option. I think I need to do some R&D on the A.S.S
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:47   #60
BHPian

Quote:
I guess spark has everything except the space I might get in i10. Sales and services for spark might vary depending on location. I need to check the pune dealers.
If you are staying in Pune, Sales and Service for Spark should not be a problem. I am owning Spark from nearly 2.5 years now (based in Pune). There are two dealers and atleast 3 service stations. Service quality is comparable to that of Maruti.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks