Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car do you like??
Alto 94 31.86%
Spark 205 69.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 19:52   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

@jeevmenon, I was thinking about your blindfolded TD theory. If a person were to do a blindfolded-TD of an M800 (maybe even an Alto) vs say a Spark/Estilo, won't there be a perceivable enough difference in driving characteristics for him to come to an understanding of which is the better car even without knowing the price ?
Around 10 years ago Hyundai USA did something similar to help erase their image then of cheap car. Except they blindfolded the car..... covered 4 cars completely in brown paper+debadge and had people drive them around. Was publicized in the media and it worked great for them.
Old 19th July 2010, 20:20   #197
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Around 10 years ago Hyundai USA did something similar to help erase their image then of cheap car. Except they blindfolded the car..... covered 4 cars completely in brown paper+debadge and had people drive them around. Was publicized in the media and it worked great for them.
It will still be very evidently clear to which is better car, but the comparision needs to be something like this

1) M Alto vs Deawoo Matiz

2) Zen Estilo vs Spark

3) A Star Vs Spark

We are crazy comparing Alto with the Spark
Old 20th July 2010, 15:00   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead
I had dropped an email to Chevy asking them if they have a dealer in Pondicherry, they emailed back following information. I hope this helps.
Hey, thanks man. That really helps. He had warmed upto the Spark and was disappointed when he could not get a dealer near his place. So Spark is back in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Except they blindfolded the car..... covered 4 cars completely in brown paper+debadge and had people drive them around.
Truly an ingenious way to have an unbiased feedback.
Old 20th July 2010, 19:18   #199
BHPian

Thinking of blind-folded tests we could definitely have it done by sitting in the front-seat/back-seat of test-cars blind-folded. We can get quite some feedback from that - seat-comfort, a/c, cabin-noise, engine-noise, suspension, going over gravel, humps, ascent/descent pull - feel. These are the same for a driver and a non-driver - rather an experienced driver who is not driving can assess quite a lot. So, maybe over a weekend ask your friend to take you to a showroom for a TD and blind-fold you all the way from home ;-)
Old 20th July 2010, 20:31   #200
Senior - BHPian

@jeev, tell me you are kidding. I would be paranoid walking blind-folded and you want me to drive blind-folded. :-)

Anyway, its his purchase - he checks out Spark and Estilo and buys which he finds best.

BTW, the Estilo is coming to the office tomorrow for the TD around lunch time. You could join too. Spark to be TD-ed in the coming days.
Old 20th July 2010, 20:42   #201
BHPian

@supremeBaleno: I was saying one can be blindfolded and sit as a co-passenger next to the driver. Driver is not blind-folded. Do the same sitting in the back-seat.
Old 24th July 2010, 16:30   #202

I checked out both cars before i buy,saw saprk offers much more features as compared to alto,also it doesnt look small toy due to tall boy design,also BSIV alto has almost cheap plastics...its after this made up my mind to buy spark but will wait rill alto kseries just to see the improvements...
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:59   #203
Senior - BHPian

With the Alto-K10 to be released in a few days, looks like the Alto and Spark will now get compared by buyers.
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:36   #204
BHPian

Alto with the new motor will be a better bet IMO

easy & fun to drive
maruti service/spare - peace of mind
easy to use in city

but yes high way drive needs more debate .
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:42   #205
Senior - BHPian

IMO, Alto and Spark are purely city cars and should be seen/compared keeping 'city driving' in mind. With K-Series, no doubt Alto will be more responsive and peppy and will let one turn on A/C when fully loaded. But what it lacks with respect to Spark is interior space specifically at the back and needs some skills to get in and out which is not appreciated by the elders who normally have to use the rear seat.
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:15   #206
Senior - BHPian

Another plus point of Spark is its build quality and interior.
Alto, with K10 motor performance issue is resolved. Whenever I go to my home town I drive Alto in my home town and know the difficulty in driving it with 5 people/AC.
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:01   #207
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Umm, I'd like to change my vote in favour of the Alto. Reason = K Series engine being launched tomorrow! Yes, the Spark has better build quality and some more interior space.

BUT when I go out for a drive, I enjoy the engine & power delivery way more than build. And the Alto K series has it in her to smoke some C-segment sedans. A pocket rocket, you betcha! A mini-Vtec in some ways. Light build, segment-topping power, keeps accelerating even after a 100....absolutely crazy stuff for the segment that its in.

Vote changed in light of upcoming developments
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:44   #208
BHPian

@GTO
TIME OUT !
TIME OUT !!

Please be fair start another polls for all TBhpian to re-vote in the light of new K10 with Alto.

Cheers
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:07   #209
BHPian

Any idea whats going to be the power specification for the new Alto. I personally still think Spark is a better highway car. And may be the ground clearance is a tab better too.
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:55   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Any idea whats going to be the power specification for the new Alto. I personally still think Spark is a better highway car. And may be the ground clearance is a tab better too.
The power is the same 67 bhp as in the other K10B powered vehicles ala AStar, new WagonR and new Estilo. The big change is that due to the light build the power to weight ratio is insane. Insane as in it puts quite a few C segment sedans to shame, let alone A & B segment hatches. The competition is smoked and I'm talking as in stock. With lights mods you are looking at a power to weight ratio in excess of 100 bhp/ton.

Just like Sachin Tendulkar replies to his crtics with his bat, Maruti has decided to reply with its products. And what a reply it has been. Way to go Maruti !

Last edited by longhorn : 3rd August 2010 at 17:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks