Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

Can the new digital odos also be tampered with?
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

yes,digital meters are very easy to tamper with.
Old 3rd August 2006, 11:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

I know a guy who upgraded his tyres has retained the old ones & was telling that it might be helpful while selling the car as these old tyres will stand as a proof for the tampered odometer.

In case if the tyres were left with the vendor, Iam sure it will be sold to secondhand car dealers. Still there are many who don't follow this method of identifying the correctness of the odometer, if knowledge gets spreaded, Iam sure demand for the older tyres will be in rise from the used car dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
or just depress the clutch and see. if it is hard,
I had always felt this when driving the cars that has done more than 60k kms. Yeah, one of the good method.
Old 3rd August 2006, 11:27   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord
Always buy from the owner, look at the man, talk to him, you will soon be able to suss out whether he is lying to you or not.
Good point. I had seen many dealers claim to be a direct owner and selling the car on behalf of their brother who has gone to US for an assignment.

Its very simple to find it out. Ask one of your friend to give him a call & enquire whether he has any "X" car for sale & budget is not a constrain. 90% of the dealer posing as direct seller will fall for it to make quick money. 10% are smarter enough to give you answers beating around bushes. You need to go one step ahead to even find that out.
Old 3rd August 2006, 11:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha
@sansjunk
You interested @ used Baleno... Just chkout one at the RNS motors ... quoted price was 3.15 lakhs...... me very very interested...but the problem is i have to sell of my zen for that...
Hey simple sell out your ZEN to sansjunk & you go for the baleno. Since both of you are from Bangalore even transfer would not be of a problem (if all the other discussions yields positive results )
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:26   #51
BHPian

You can check out the National Mortors Inc guys. They make a good deal on all cars. I actually got mine from there and i have all the previous records on her. But i was not able to see any date kinda stuff on the tyres. It is 2004 model. What kind of date format will i look for on the tyres? can any one tell me please.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy
You can check out the National Mortors Inc guys. They make a good deal on all cars. I actually got mine from there and i have all the previous records on her. But i was not able to see any date kinda stuff on the tyres. It is 2004 model. What kind of date format will i look for on the tyres? can any one tell me please.
This dates on the tyres method is pretty old & not worth trying. Also these days the tyres (Probably at the instance of the Mfrs) do not have these imprinted. Rather they have a code which rightly interpreted would give u the date. so this method is off..

The best thing is to talk straight to the owner of the car & try to clear the deal. get a good mechanic, it is worth paying him a thousand or more. he will identify the genuine car.
Old 3rd August 2006, 19:58   #53
BHPian

Check For Wobbly Pointer On Odo.

I was checking out a used Sierra Turbo & had taken along a friend who works in the RTO. The Sierra seemed to be in immaculate condition, Metallic maroon in color with biege leather seat covers etc. I was very impressed with the car but my friend warned me against buying it. He told me that the Odo had been tampered with. The way he figured that out was
He mentioned that the pointer on the Odo was wobbly/bouncing up & down (not a lot, but slightly) & wasn't steadily rising or coming down depending on the speed. It wouldn't even stay steady, pointing at a figure on the Odo at constant speeds. This he mentioned was a sure shot sign that the Odo had been tampered with.

Last edited by Dud_Dodo : 3rd August 2006 at 19:59.
Old 3rd August 2006, 20:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If there is a possibility of odometer manipulation by dealers, can someone please explain the whole process, if possible.
Its pretty easy.
Analog meters are the easiest.
Digital odos are a bit tough.But, can still be done by a professional 'clocker'. Even Mercs can be 'clocked' for 3000 rupees. For the higher end cars, the odometer reading has to be changed in a number of places(ala ECU) other than the odo.
Old 3rd August 2006, 20:20   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Date of manufacture - imprinted on tyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
.. these days the tyres (Probably at the instance of the Mfrs) do not have these imprinted. Rather they have a code which rightly interpreted would give u the date.
Month & Year of manufacture are still imprinted on the tyres. I dont think there is any change in this.

OT, Tyres have a shelf life - the compunds begin to degrade over a period of time. So pls remember to check that the 'new' tyres you buy are not very old [a few yrs], and also - keeping a spare tyre un-used doesnt help in the tyre life.
Old 4th August 2006, 09:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

OT, ur signature

first, it is not funny.

second, why do u assume people laugh at you
Old 4th August 2006, 12:28   #57
BHPian

clocking a analogue meter is easy and it is easy to check, after clocking the digits never align properly, this can be spotted with a keen eye, however proffesionally done, however checking a digital odo for cloking is tough, and i must admit i have never came across any clocked digital meter and so i do not know how to spot it.
Old 4th August 2006, 14:19   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi
clocking a analogue meter is easy and it is easy to check, after clocking the digits never align properly, this can be spotted with a keen eye, however proffesionally done, however checking a digital odo for cloking is tough, and i must admit i have never came across any clocked digital meter and so i do not know how to spot it.
While mis-aligned meter is one of the tell tale signs for a tampered meter, it does not always confirm that the meter is tampered. I have seen cars with genuine mails having the numbers slightly mis-aligned. heck, even my OHC 1.5 had this problem ever since I remember (I bought it new...). So don't reject a car based only on the mis-aligned ODO.

the service history and the interval should be a good yardstick... least not many people can fake these.
Old 4th August 2006, 15:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dud_Dodo
He mentioned that the pointer on the Odo was wobbly/bouncing up & down (not a lot, but slightly) & wasn't steadily rising or coming down depending on the speed. It wouldn't even stay steady, pointing at a figure on the Odo at constant speeds. This he mentioned was a sure shot sign that the Odo had been tampered with.
Even I was told the same. On of my friends car has done around 1 L kms, but still the pointer goes up & comes down steady.

So I dont believe in it.

Anyone there out to explain the technical reason behind this oscillation

ps: Hope this is also a part of this topic & not OT
Old 4th August 2006, 16:53   #60
BHPian

Well you are getting the warranty arent you, do not worry about the odo, if you feel it is tampered get proof and let the true value guys give you an extended warranty over and above what they have told you, anyways if you maintain the car at the same dealership you are bound to keep the service records, so the odo starts at whatever they put it at

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks