Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How has your Cars24 experience been?
Positive 82 23.43%
Neutral 82 23.43%
Negative 186 53.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2020, 14:44   #271
BHPian

Re: Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
As per them, ownership transfer would happen within 120 days and they would intimate once it is done. From the reviews, I know it could be more and comes with some anxiety.
Just an update, may be I am one of the lucky one, my car ownership transfer is completed by Cars24 in approximately 2 months. Its now registered to a new owner and changes reflected in vahan site as well. Early ownership transfer could be to some extent attributed to Maruti brand value in tier 2 or 3 cities. That car is registered in another town (Hassan).
dipdawiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 13:25   #272
BHPian

Has anyone sold the car directly to buyer through cars24 ? Cars24 has an option if you want a higher price, they bring the buyer to you and negotiate.

The representative claims cars24 does the name transfer themselves even in case of direct sale as they collect commission fees.

Anyone has prior experience of this ?
Old 23rd September 2020, 14:29   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Cars24 has an option they bring the buyer to you and negotiate.
Yes; this is how it was till last year. Not sure if things have changed.

1. The car may OR may not be listed on their website but would have been evaluated by them.

2. The buyer meets the seller in the presence of the cars24 representative, and assesses the car and papers.

3. If both parties are keen on taking it forward, they can negotiate right there.

4. If negotiations happen later, the conduit would be the cars24 representative since seller's number is unknown to the buyer

5. Once a deal is struck, the buyer pays the seller direct and collects delivery of the car in the presence of the cars24 representative, who asks for the convenience fee (commission) from both parties.

6. Cars24 then takes the documents of the car and the buyer to initiate transfer for which they charge the buyer Parivahan fees plus a mark up.

7. If the buyer wishes to perform transfer formalities on their own, cars24 would take a nominal security deposit which would be refunded on completion of ownership transfer.

Note :

1. Value added services like Guaranteed Buyback will have some riders.

2. More often than not, the name of the buyer will be misspelt in the RC once transfer is done.

3. Buyer has to complete insurance transfer on own effort.
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 17:36   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Yes; this is how it was till last year. Not sure if things have changed.
Thanks for the quick reply. Solved my conrondrum quickly.

The private listing agent turned without the customer and apparently the customer was on video call which sounded fishy.

The evaluator had marked by car's blowby as mild and within acceptable limits while this fellow turned up and said it was excessive and went on to give unsolicoted advice to sell the car for whatever the price they were giving and was surprised by quote goven by cars24 itself. I couldn't help but think of the conflict of interest here even if that was friendly advice as I found out later from my mechanic and a friend who was mechanically inclined.

Interesting trivia : cars24 charges 5000 as cancellation penalty if you scrap the deal after they pay a token amount of 1000 or 2000. One more reason to take theor instant payment option.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 24th September 2020 at 17:38.
Old 4th October 2020, 11:34   #275
BHPian

My post is not about the sales process and the price that they offered, but the after sales issues.
I sold my car to cars24.com last year in September 2019. The vehicle was not transferred to the new owner till Jul/Aug 2020, a period of more than 10 months.
During this time, the car was sold to someone, but was not transferred. It was not as if it was standing in Cars24 garage. Just after some time of selling my car, i got messages from Fasttag about the car crossing far flung toll plazas regularly.

After than, since december 2019, the car started raking in multiple echallans for violations of all kinds, detected through camera or otherwise. These included red light jumping, overspeeding, wrong parking etc. All challans were generated in Delhi area.
Now typically, it there is an outstanding challan in Vahan Database, the car cannot be transferred. However, challans generated by Delhi traffic police is not integrated to Vahan, hence did not appear on the portal.
The car got transferred to the new owner without him or cars24 clearing the pending Delhi challans.

Now i have close to 10 challans in my name, pending in Delhi court. I am writing to cars24 to clear those, but there is no reply. Just a very stubborn silence to my emails.

I am worried that one day i will start getting summons for the outstanding challans as they are in my name and address.

If this issue is not sorted out in a few days, i will look at legal help.

I think the whole business model of cars24 is illegal, as the car is supposed to be sold and reregistered immediately to the new owner. But looks like cars24 does not do that and the new owner misuses your vehicle under your name, and cars24 is does not care.

I definitely am going to complain to Delhi police, RTO etc about their malpractices if they do not resolve my issues soon.

PLEASE BEWARE. They may give you a letter stating that they have received possession of the car on a certain date, but it does not carry weight as i believe the the liability remains with existing owner till the car is transferred and the same is reflected in the RTO database.

Please use them at your own risk
VineetG is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 19:42   #276
BHPian

Just thinking aloud. What happens if the dealers who buy the car from Cars24 are not able to sell the car at all after years? In this case the car will still be in owner's name. What is the logical conclusion in such a scenario?
Old 31st October 2020, 21:06   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Just thinking aloud. What happens if the dealers who buy the car from Cars24 are not able to sell the car at all after years? In this case the car will still be in owner's name. What is the logical conclusion in such a scenario?
Pretty straight forward. It'll be in the sellers name, the dealer will continue to offer test rides, if there's some challan or worse, it's the sellers headache, with nothing but an email from cars24 stating their liability, but I doubtful acceptance. Maybe 2 Years down the line the car will be sold and finally the sale will be closed for seller.
Take care.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 07:46   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In this case the car will still be in owner's name. What is the logical conclusion in such a scenario?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
the dealer will continue to offer test rides, if there's some challan or worse, it's the sellers headache
I am in this situation. Sold my car to Cars24 in December 2018; it is still with them - they being unable to sell it onwards. Fortunately no challans yet, but it is a problem with the Cars24 model I agree (one that I thought about AFTER the fact). If you are worried about the consequences, then don't sell to Cars24. I have made that decision.

In my case the 15-year EOL is due too. After that - what?

Cars24 does not reply to emails or return phone calls [Call centre staff know nothing, so I leave instructions and number asking for someone with a clue to call me back].

I have been renewing the 3rd party insurance myself, just in case. Obviously this cuts into my resale price making their product that much unattractive.

Last edited by binand : 1st November 2020 at 07:51.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 08:20   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
The vehicle was not transferred to the new owner, a period of more than 10 months.

The car started raking in multiple echallans for violations of all kinds, detected through camera or otherwise.

PLEASE BEWARE. They may give you a letter stating that they have received possession,but it does not carry weight as i believe the the liability remains with existing owner
The letter will only help one fight a case out in court.

One such real example :

1. My friend in Chennai sells his car to a dealer in Chennai and gets a letter indicating receipt of the car.

2. The car was picked up by another dealer(all dealers are networked), and sold to someone further down in TN without ownership transfer.

3. The car, after a few months, hits someone and the guy fractures his legs.

4. My friend in Chennai receives summons from the local court in the town in interior TN.

5. Friend went about building documentation as proof of sale of the car, hired the services of a lawyer to prove his status w.r.t the car.

Is it really worth taking all this trouble?

Unfortunately, no dealer takes responsibility if something happens between the time the dealer takes the car till the time it is registered.

For most dealers, selling a car is like selling a television or a washing machine.

Yes, some dealers are absolutely adamant that they will not deliver the car unless the buyer signs on the transfer forms and provides Proof of identity and Proof of Address. I would trust such folks.

Quote:
What is the logical conclusion in such a scenario?
Similar risk as above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I am in this situation. Sold my car to Cars24 in December 2018; it is still with them - they being unable to sell it onwards.

Cars24 does not reply to emails.

I have been renewing the 3rd party insurance myself, just in case. Obviously this cuts into my resale price making their product that much unattractive.
In my view, it is ok to buy cars off them but I would not trust them to sell my car.

The only plus with them is the detailed report.

I understand that their commissions, fees are all quite unreasonable now, and the extremely pushy approach to close a sale is always there.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 16:59   #280
BHPian

I found out from parivahan that the car I sold to cars24 is changed to a different name. This took about 50 days front the time car was sold. Not bad.

However, I did not receive the intimation from car24. But with parivahan around , not a big deal.
Old 30th November 2020, 23:30   #281
PSG

I sold my car to cars24 in Jan 2020. It was Hyundai fluid Verna 1.6 petrol . The experience was average. I was offered a price which was 55% of what I was expecting . Did not accept the offer and decided to wait. Cars24 increased the price which was 75% of my expected price. I accepted the offer and received money in my account immediately.

I kept checking status on Vaahan website. In Feb 2020,the status changed to "NOC Issued", so I assumed that RC transfer process was initiated. The status remained same throughout for next 6 months due to lockdown. Finally it showed a new owner in September 2020 on Vaahan website.What a relief .

Overall satisfying experience , even though I received less than what I was expecting.

Last edited by Eddy : 30th November 2020 at 23:54. Reason: Please take care of typos and spacing. Thanks.
Old 1st December 2020, 08:08   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I sold my car to Cars24 back in December 2018. Even today (7 months on) I find they have not done the RC transfer.

Should I be worried about this? What are my options? They have paid me the full amount.
Finally, after nearly two years, they managed to sell my car on.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 3218
Size:  18.4 KB

Twice my insurance expired in these two years; both times I reached out to them but they never got back and therefore (based on advise here) I renewed thirdparty-only at my own expense. That brought down my cost of sale by a bit.

Overall, a very disappointing experience. I will never deal with Cars24 again, is my decision. Nor would I recommend their services to anyone.
binand is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 10:09   #283
BHPian

My experience with Cars24 was outright BAD. I was looking for a used car few months back and bid on few in cars24, a relationship manager was allotted, but instead of helping me to get in touch with the sellers of car which I shown interest he was outright ignoring me and was insisting me to visit their warehouse in Mumbai , though I told him that there isn’t any vehicle which I found interesting in warehouse but he insisted to visit the warehouse and on a weekend I went there to check out cars. To my surprise the so-called relationship manager was no where found and when I called him, he told to get in touch with another guy.

Long story short this new guy took me to some cars and out of which only 2 was even drivable, and all cars I checked was in different condition than mentioned in their site. 4 out of 5 had CEL on, which was not mentioned on their site, and one was having rear wheel completely jammed, another was smoking like an old diesel train, one was a bio-hazard, and I did not take risk to sit inside as its interior was completely covered in molds. All these shows that they are not maintaining the cars in their warehouse. Also, I was totally disappointed when the relationship manager totally misrepresents the issue by saying “Check engine light is supposed to be ON, ESP Light is nothing to worry about, its common on POLO and car will run as normal and even my car is having that light ON “This was the time I walked right out of the door cursing myself for spoiling an entire day. They were so desperate to sell the vehicles in their yard by ruing customer’s trust. I was looking none other than cars24 for more than a month and they totally ruined it in a day.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th December 2020 at 11:52. Reason: Typo
Adam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:26   #284
BHPian

Here is my experience with cars24.
Appointment:
Booked my appointment for inspection at home (didn't want to drive to their office in covid situation and waste time in waiting) by paying 49 rs on Sunday for Tuesday 2pm. Got a call immediately asking if this can be preponed, which I refused - may be they got worried about the competition
Got many messages and calls regarding the appointment over next 2 days.

Inspection:
The person for inspection took location details and turned up on time. He turned on the engine, kept it running and instead of inspection, called someone and started talking. No regrets for wasting my time. Got out and took too many pictures of the car. Did a short test drive - the worst driving my beloved car has ever seen. Took pics of rc and insurance. Didn't bother to check the service history and ignored all the good things I mentioned to note down. I never felt it was professional.

Inspection Report:
After a few minutes, I got a message about the report which opened only in their app. Report was detailed and rated the aspects mostly with 4 stars. After 30 min, got a call from them. As fellow members have quoted, the focus was only on negative points and to convince you that their quote is the final verdict. They just don't care about how neatly we maintain the vehicle. All the scratches turn up as dents, good battery and new tubeless tyres turn up as about to fail and the original painted and well polished/waxed bonnet and doors were declared as repainted. No feedback taken to correct it in the system in order to arrive at a better price.

Price quotes:
Not sure whether 839 partners really waited and participated in the bidding within 30 min
Anyway, the initial quote was below the exchange price by the dealer, which was increased by 8000 instantly. I ignored all the scary warnings, thanked and disconnected. Let's see if they come back with a better offer, otherwise I have no regrets.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd December 2020 at 19:36. Reason: Maximum 2 smileys per post please. Thank you!
nadigar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 11:33   #285
Senior - BHPian

I had scheduled an appointment for home inspection. One rep called and he explained the process. Apparently, they have 2 layers before the car reaches an actual buyer. Realised I will never get the price I want because of so many layers. Also, read the negative experiences here. Still beats me how start ups like these are surviving and doing so well with various celebrities doing ads and all. Nevertheless, cancelled the booking. I will sell the car directly to a buyer.
Only thing is, they have my number now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks