Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2017, 20:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Landmark Jeep staff beat up a customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Landmark Group has put up a statement on their website:
Attachment 1701174
Still, very sad to see the level of customer service provided.

This incident is different than Indigo incident because Indigo was considered a budget airline, while Jeep sells a premium product. Though Indigo incident cannot be condoned at all, a gang of employees beating the customer is something unheard of.

If Jeep India's dealers cannot handle irate customers, it is a telling statement on the company's standards for customer satisfaction.

Also, for an incident that happened in September, did they choose to beat the customer in November because the video surfaced online today. Or, is it an old September video?

Very sad that a customer is not safe even when buying an automotive product from a supposedly premium SUV manufacturer. Would love to see a statement from Jeep India to tell more about the incident, although I doubt if we will hear the right story.
rdhawan15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 20:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Landmark Group has put up a statement
Very vague reply with no action taken whatsoever. Maybe, the customer did misbehave. But why did they physically abuse him? All they had to calm him down and maybe drive him out of showroom if matter got worse.

Jeep should take matters in their hand and fire the people involved. This sort of behaviour is completely unacceptable. They are in no position to act arrogant. Who do they value? Puny employees who beat up Jeep’s customer or thousands of potential customers who are going to think twice after watching this? Absolutely pathetic and if not taken care of, Jeep will end up as how it’s parent company is.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 30th November 2017 at 20:09.
The Brutailer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 20:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Landmark Group has put up a statement on their website:
Attachment 1701174
Very poorly worded and badly written apology. Does mean nothing and seems more to defend the hoodlum-ish behaviour of the staff. Adding a "ladies" angle (sorry - their English - not mine) is even more preposterous as none of the arguments in the video sound like it.

I wish some Jeep customer sends this link to FCA leadership and board. Whatever be the fault of the customer, beating up a customer is just not done.

Ideally Jeep should terminate Landmark and issue a public statement.

For sure, I will never buy a Jeep product just like I will never fly Indigo again.

p.s. At least they could have hired a professional writer (if not a lawyer) with some knowledge of English and Grammar to write the statement. Fairly pedestrian statement.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 30th November 2017 at 20:15.
nareshtrao is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 20:11   #34
Team-BHP Support

I don't think this guy & others in the video sounded as if he has teased someone and it's more of an afterthought to escape police action or otherwise. A guy can be heard clearly yelling that he has abused him and he will take care and then he starts hitting this guy.

When this guy was sitting inside the chamber and another guy was trying to make peace, some of the other guys started hitting without any new provocation or abuses. Landmark is a big Dealer for Fiat and termination may not be a practical option for Fiat unless someone at Top decides otherwise but these guys who were beating have no business working here or any other place of public dealing.
Turbanator is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 20:31   #35
Team-BHP Support

Typical corporate speak. Say a 1000 words that say nothing, mean nothing and do nothing to remedy the situation.

If anything, that statement just made it a lot worse. They'd have been better off staying mum.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 20:46   #36
BHPian

These incidents are getting common by the hour. It's unfortunate that none of the recordings (in this case or any other like Indigo) highlight the actual dispute that led to this outcome. So the audience ends up forming opinions basis one side of the story.

While I do not support violence but there has to be a reason why these employees end up risking their livelihood (or maybe their careers) to fight against the customers. Do some of these customers behave human enough to deserve good customer service?
Rajiv0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 21:02   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
These incidents are getting common by the hour. It's unfortunate that none of the recordings (in this case or any other like Indigo) highlight the actual dispute that led to this outcome.

Do some of these customers behave human enough to deserve good customer service?
True. Here's the Maruti video I mentioned in the earlier post and was somehow struggling to find.

Here again, as is similar to the current situation, it looks like a sales executive being provoked beyond his tolerance limit. Customers misusing their privileges? We'll never know. This is from a NEXA outlet in Ranchi.

That said - the primary difference is that the Landmark Jeep employee went overboard by manhandling the customer. That should have never happened, no matter what verbal provocation would have occurred in this scenario.

I don't believe the 'lady' story either. In the video, someone is screaming about the customer abusing him continuously, but no mention of any females there. Looks like an afterthought addition. That's another low for Landmark Jeep.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th November 2017 at 21:10.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 21:06   #38
BHPian

I have no words to say here, posts have said it all.

However if this incident, is around Delhi, like the airline incident, then it seems to be more with the type of people being hired in SALES & CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Or I must be wrong in speculating.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 21:45   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
......Do some of these customers behave human enough to deserve good customer service?
Dangerous slippery slope, that one. Who gets to define those boundaries? How much is 'enough'?

The dealer is completely entitled to refuse service to an unruly customer, as is a customer entitled to refuse giving business to a misbehaving/unscrupulous dealer.

Any behavior beyond that has legal repercussions, to be indulged in at either party's own peril.

Dealer/staff justifying beating up a customer under whatever pretenses is no better or worse than a customer beating up a dealer he feels aggrieved by (plenty of those examples on this forum; I mean aggrieved customers, not violent ones ).

Violence isn't an acceptable course of action in a civil/financial transaction. Period.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 22:01   #40
BHPian

Here in NCR there is a simple law: " pehele jo marain, woh king hotha hain -- badh main to compromise he hona hain " [he who hits first is king, later on there will be a patch up / compromise]. Terms are used " uske hath to bahuth khulain hain " [his hands are really open] to epitomize and glorify the bravery of hand violence.

Ok, he was abusive and used foul language. He came back after a few months. Is it right to kangaroo court him, and resort to battery / assault. The common man out here: Will say yes. Is it not what happens in our streets. We have become a violent race. Sad.

Basically the dealer wags the manufacturer.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 30th November 2017 at 22:03.
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 22:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
I have no words to say here, posts have said it all.

However if this incident, is around Delhi, like the airline incident, then it seems to be more with the type of people being hired in SALES & CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Or I must be wrong in speculating.
Nope. You aren't wrong. I know about some of these manhandling people through someone close to me who has previously worked with them in another dealership. According to my source the dealership in question has hired most of their staff without due diligence about the backgrounds or previous jobs. In fact, I saw this clip even before it was posted here.

Anyways, the point remains that no matter how rude the customer is, you can't manhandle him. Jeep is going to incur lot of bad publicity due to this incident. And that dealership is already struggling, so after this their survival looks bleak.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 22:14   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

The dealer is completely entitled to refuse service to an unruly customer, as is a customer entitled to refuse giving business to a misbehaving/unscrupulous dealer.
Well before a person buys a product, no doubt the dealer is entitled to refuse the unruly to-be customer but what when the to-be customer becomes a customer by buying the product+service package & get a raw deal & the customer is pushed beyond a point of limit? When the customer is pushed beyond points of all civility what do you expect the customer to do? (Been through this personally thrice) The point of contact for all problems and issues end at dealer level in many cases and mails to the company goes unanswered and please don't advice Judiciary and Legal routes because we all know how fast our Judiciary is and how keen our legal system is to help the aggrieved.

Resorting to violence be it either customer or dealer, nobody has the right but creating verbal ruckus, the customer is within his right. So in case of Nexa incident, I assume the guy has not already purchase the product whereas in the Jeep incident it seems that the guy has bought the product+services package.

Well the ladies angle seems to be an after thought. Am sure such dealers would have CCTV cameras to show what really happened & if they don't have CCTVs or don't come up with the footage then they are screwed big time if the customer goes legal. Did anybody see any lady employees in the Jeep footage? I frankly could not see any.

Last edited by bikerzindia : 30th November 2017 at 22:19.
bikerzindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 23:02   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerzindia View Post
....When the customer is pushed beyond points of all civility what do you expect the customer to do? (Been through this personally thrice)
We've all been in such positions sometimes, and you sort of answered your own question with your very next comment.

Quote:
The point of contact for all problems and issues end at dealer level in many cases and mails to the company goes unanswered
We live in a country with minimal to negligible consumer protections, blurred or non-existent escalation matrices and no real accountability once a product/service is paid for. No amount of frustrated violence is going to achieve anything except a temporary massaging of the ego, even that assuming we come out of it better than the other party, far from a given. Not to forget someone unwilling to co-operate when you act civil is probably going to get worse after going a few verbal/physical rounds!

I've had my share of frustrated shouting matches over the years, everything from telecom operators to multi-million dollar customers (not the same kind of language, obviously), and never have I ever gained anything long-term by creating a ruckus.

I don't have a fool-proof solution, nobody does, but I can tell you from personal experience that aggression never really solves anything, often makes it a lot worse.

The only viable solution is to keep emotion out of transactions, and hold politely but firmly to a desired outcome until it's delivered. It's inhumanly tough sometimes, but it's the only thing that works.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 23:13   #44
BHPian

The title of the thread is misleading. It should read "landmark jeep staff beat up abusive customer" mention NCR Delhi region and half the folks would skip this thread. Though the people who hit first take the trophy, the abusing kind are no saint either. That's the law, you cannot use abusive language. No matter how shitty the service center has been you don't abuse the staff. At all. Any grievances should be taken in the legal route.

Work environment for people who have sales target is anyway stressful. Someone abusing you doesn't help. High stress levels combined with unruly behaviour and Viola! you have this situation at hand.

Yes the staff should in no event have hit him. Also this circus inside a dealership will bring only embarassment to the brand. But political correctness aside if you mention this episode to anybody don't be surprised if no one is surprised.
400notout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 23:23   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

We live in a country with minimal to negligible consumer protections, blurred or non-existent escalation matrices and no real accountability once a product/service is paid for. No amount of frustrated violence is going to achieve anything except a temporary massaging of the ego, even that assuming we come out of it better than the other party, far from a given. Not to forget someone unwilling to co-operate when you act civil is probably going to get worse after going a few verbal/physical rounds!

The only viable solution is to keep emotion out of transactions, and hold politely but firmly to a desired outcome until it's delivered. It's inhumanly tough sometimes, but it's the only thing that works.
Agree with you but sometimes it does and has worked a couple of times with me. So now have taken it to Judiciary and to Social Media. Let's see what the outcome is. Guess people have to learn from their own mistakes.

Everybody does not have the same level of understanding & patience. But certainly if you are a business man and you have a customer who has a genuine problem, would you listen to him & try and reach midway if you can not totally solve his problem or start giving him "Gyaan" and question his riding/driving skills and ignite him further making him more agitated & then slap him when he uses profanity? Most of these so called Luxury brands have just one dealership per city let alone maybe same for 3-4 states. So do you have option of choosing your dealer after buying a product+service & get a world class product(maybe) (my case I got a lemon for 8 lakhs on 2 wheels which was on road for just 4 months out of 16 months now) but shit service & pathetic & arrogant replies when you have issues? When I politely asked them for the report their answer was 'You have no right to ask questions as long as your bike is being fixed for free'. Is this kind of a question not something which can get a customer agitated to use profanity? Well anyways I have gone through it and now buried all the egos behind and just want to take it to a logical conclusion. Many advised me what's big deal, just sell it off but that is not what I am looking at. I am gonna shove it where it came from & going to do it legally & judicially.

But again I would say a customer can take it personal as it is his hard earned money which is rotting in front of his eyes but dealers & their employees should not take it personally as even if there was a donkey in his place then the customer has all right to shout on it. But neither the customer nor the dealer have any right to flex muscles.
bikerzindia is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks