Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 12:08   #151
BHPian

Re: *SCAM* Alert : Dealerships overcharging RTO / Road Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Good to know that you are upgrading from Fabia to Rapid. I would suggest following:
Thanks for the wishes . I am one of the few happy customers of Skoda and hence this logical upgrade.

Quote:
1. Skip Skoda mats and rather get Kagu 3D mats. Ask dealer to reduce price of mats from Ex price.
2. Car waxing at workshop is of no good and they would rather add swirls to a brand new car even though worker doing it may be wearing 3M shirts. Skip it like a plague.
Even I am thinking of the same. They have to either give it for free or I will ask them to skip it. I am anyways gonna get 3D mats online. Also as you have mentioned, car waxing or coating is of no use.

Quote:
3. Get a quote from VW and try to pitch them against Skoda and both cars shall be almost equal. VW is anyday better, personal opinion.
I do not have a quote but I did talk to VW guys and I will have to bargain based on that. Also I do have the printed copy of the T-BHP monthly sales report which I hope will immensely help during bargain.
I understand that VW is better and premium but Rapid has a better ride quality and is VFM package. Also my dad is not ready to move out of Skoda.

Quote:
3. Try to get a corporate discount.
They do offer a corporate discount of 10k which I have not mentioned here.

Quote:
4. Do insurance on your own, that too zero dep. Would be cheaper than dealers quote. BajajAllianz & BhartiAXA are good companies.
My first preference would be to get Insurance and extended warranty for free and if they are not ready to offer that, I will be doing insurance on my own. But as far as I heard, they are ready to do insurance for free.

Quote:
5. If you have another Skoda dealer, try to get quote from him and pitch both dealers against each other.
Unfortunately it is a monopoly here in Chennai. Gurudev Motors is the only dealer.

Quote:
6. Dealers charge 15K extra for registration, call it convenience or agent fee. Tell them that you got quote from RTO directly and it turns out cheaper. Either match it or I will have registration myself or better ask them to match it if they want a booking.
This is the part which I am not sure how I am gonna bargain. I will try my best as suggested and also will try to pull few strings through known contacts.

Quote:
Lastly.
1. Purchase extended warranty. Better safe with Czeck.
2. Get extended roadside assistance 2+2 yrs. Had to do personal towing recently and cost almost turns out to be same even if used once.
Will definitely opt for extended warranty and roadside assistance
Old 4th October 2015, 12:14   #152
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread.

I'm in the process of buying a gear-less scooter for my father. Apropos to that, I visited the Honda for their Activa 3G and the TVS for their Jupiter. I have the quotations for both vehicles. The details of the quotations are outlined here under -

The Honda Activa 3G-
  • Ex showroom price - 51315/-
  • Insurance - 2226/-
  • Road Tax - 4492/-
  • Total - 58033/-
The TVS Jupiter-
  • Ex showroom price - 54530/-
  • Insurance - 1661/-
  • Road Tax - 4467/-
  • Total - 60658/-
Now as far as I know, the road tax in Maharashtra is 7% of the Ex showroom price, which comes at Rs 3592/- for the Activa 3G and at Rs 3817/- for the Jupiter.

Same is for Insurance. The rate at which insurance on ex showroom price is calculated is 4.34% for the Activa 3G and 3.05% for the Jupiter.

My father has finalized on the Jupiter. How do I go ahead with the purchase without being fleeced?
Old 27th July 2017, 13:56   #153
BHPian

Unable to pay bribe, man leaves new bike at RTO office in Thiruppur

Now, I wonder what the RTO would do in this case? Register a case with the police for a lost and found vehicle?

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/b...1/1011151.html
Old 15th June 2022, 12:07   #154
BHPian

I am picking an old thread which I think is more relevant than ever today, with car prices going through the roof.

There is no dealer who will not try to overcharge.Their methodology could be different across segments or brands, but their motive is the same.
It is our duty as customers to do our due diligence to avoid being cheated.A casual impression that you possess thorough knowledge and experience in car purchases should be helpful. A team-BHP sticker on your bumper can serve as a wake-up call for the salesman.
I usually follow the methodology outlined below when purchasing a car.
1. Is there a discount available? "I want it at an ex-showroom price during calculations." This will help in further negotiations on insurance.
2. Are registration charges inflated? Insist on government receipts or tell them I will submit the papers myself. Ask them to prepare the file and have it provided to you. Please keep in mind that it is their responsibility to provide you with the registration.The government has provided them with a registration portal access point for our convenience.
3.Insurance charges are double of your estimates? Simply divide by 2, or ask them to match an outside insurance quote. They may still not match, but you will get a realistic quotation now.
4. Handling charges: What is that? I usually quote them a high court ruling regarding the same. Moreover, I use the logic that the ex-showroom price is all-inclusive. Any other charges are not payable to the showroom.
5.TCS, COW CESS --mandatory charges, simply pay.
6.Fastag—buy it yourself (you could save 200 RS).
7.Mandatory accessories!! I never paid a penny for that.In the end, they usually provided basic accessories for free.
8.Mandatory extended warranty!! Do ask for a discount since you are purchasing as a bundle along with your car purchase.
9. A Teflon or ceramic coating has been applied!!! Threaten them with a lawsuit if they do anything like that. Because it is your vehicle, they just can't do such things without your permission.

I remember my experience during the delivery of my Dad's swift in 2012. The dealer said they have done teflon coating, so we have to pay 5000 INR for the same for delivery. I told them to remove it immediately, otherwise I would not take delivery and threatened with consumer court proceedings. Because of my stand, they ended up providing free basic accessories as compensation for their deed without my prior permission.

My two cents: I will not submit to such deception, even if it means delaying or cancelling my car purchase.

In conclusion, car buying is a huge occasion for an individual.We love and sometimes even worship our cars.One usually agrees to such unfair practises of dealerships just to keep the mood upbeat. But I think the responsibility for the same lies at both ends.
Old 16th May 2023, 12:07   #155

BMW G310 GS RTO registration charges in Bengaluru

Hi everyone!

I recently booked a BMW G310 GS from one of the dealers in Bengaluru, and noticed something strange in the estimate provided by the dealer.

As per my knowledge, the RTO registration charges for this bike in Karnataka would be ~19.98% of the ex-showroom price. However, the dealer has given a figure which is about 12.5k higher than this amount (dealer quote of 78.6 k vs 66.1k). When I checked with him, he said its because they will get the registration done via a third party, and this accounts for the bulk of the premium being charged. That, plus the transportation charges from/to the RTO and the high security number plate add up to this figure of 12.5k.

I haven't bought a new vehicle in the past few years so apologize in advance if I'm missing something, but is it normal when dealers charge a premium because the registration is being done via a third party agent?

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks