Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 23:33   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dealership Charged Extra...Need advice on what to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post

This is where it hit me. I being his customer should have been listened to, instead of irresponsible response like above and dont worry, I do not shout on my spouse, children (no kids so far!) and employees due to external factors like these.

I didn't literally mean that - I meant it'll spoil your mood and will effect those around you too.

Anyway, if these guys are misbehaving then by all means you should go after them.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:04   #107
Senior - BHPian

@rajatsingh78

I agree with Sumith. I have taken delivery of 2 cars in last 2 years and in both cases, we did the registration done by our self. The RTO charges the tax based on the ex-showroom price by company, not by how much you paid for the car.

Both times, we did get discounts and the amount we paid was less than ex-showroom price, but we did not get any discount on the road tax. We did take up this issue with RTO when we did the registration first time (the sale certificate was showing an amount which was less than ex-showroom price) but he informed us that he calculates the tax based on the ex-showroom and issued us the tax receipt for the amount based on full ex-showroom price.

Showroom guys makes a cut when they use their own agents to get the registration done - the price quoted by the showroom guys for registration was 2.5K, but we got it done for 700 using an independent agent.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 12:11   #108
BHPian

I would say that you are misinformed here, simple maths -

Original Ex-Showroom = Rs. 7,79,000
Road Tax (@ 7%) = Rs. 54530
Registration Charges = Rs. 200
Total = 54730 ----(a)

Discounted Ex-showroom = Rs. 7,56,000
Road Tax (@7%) = Rs. 52920
Total = Rs. 53120 ----(b)

I know that the RTO charged on the discounted ex-showroom because the road tax and registration receipt provided by the RTO is of amount (b),
If what you said was correct, I would have got the receipts for amount (a)

I am assuming that you are mentioning here about Bangalore, so the Karnataka RTA rule book (Part A5;[See Section 3(1)]
) states "At the time of Registration of New Vehicles.12 Percent of cost of the vehicle.", you can check this at this location, under RTO Services-->Fees, Taxes & Fines-->Tax Details-->Taxation Schedule-->Page number 9 of the document,

RTO guys do make money on misinformed people, trust me, they do have targets, atleast in the southern part of our country

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
@rajatsingh78

I agree with Sumith. I have taken delivery of 2 cars in last 2 years and in both cases, we did the registration done by our self. The RTO charges the tax based on the ex-showroom price by company, not by how much you paid for the car.

Both times, we did get discounts and the amount we paid was less than ex-showroom price, but we did not get any discount on the road tax. We did take up this issue with RTO when we did the registration first time (the sale certificate was showing an amount which was less than ex-showroom price) but he informed us that he calculates the tax based on the ex-showroom and issued us the tax receipt for the amount based on full ex-showroom price.

Showroom guys makes a cut when they use their own agents to get the registration done - the price quoted by the showroom guys for registration was 2.5K, but we got it done for 700 using an independent agent.

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 15th June 2011 at 12:20. Reason: added info
Old 15th June 2011, 12:36   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that the RTO charged on the discounted ex-showroom because the road tax and registration receipt provided by the RTO is of amount (b),

I am assuming that you are mentioning here about Bangalore, so the
Rajath, I was talking about Kerala. In my case, I got the tax bill for the whole amount I paid, so I do not see any scope where he could have made money. The whole system is computerized and I am not sure RTO can issue me a receipt for a certain amount and later he can enter a different amount in the system and pocket the rest of the money.

Any way, if you think you have a strong case, do make it a point to raise your voice. As a customer you are entitled to have a clear view of what is happening with your money.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:36   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would say that you are misinformed here, simple maths -

Original Ex-Showroom = Rs. 7,79,000
Road Tax (@ 7%) = Rs. 54530
Total = 54730 ----(a)

Discounted Ex-showroom = Rs. 7,56,000
Road Tax (@7%) = Rs. 52920
Total = Rs. 53120 ----(b)

I am assuming that you are mentioning here about Bangalore, so the Karnataka RTA rule book (Part A5;[See Section 3(1)]
) states "At the time of Registration of New Vehicles.12 Percent of cost of the vehicle.", you can check this at this location, under RTO Services-->Fees, Taxes & Fines-->Tax Details-->Taxation Schedule-->Page number 9 of the document,

RTO guys do make money on misinformed people, trust me, they do have targets, atleast in the southern part of our country

So what happens if, let us say, the dealer sells you a car with 90% discount (because you are his son, or because you are willing to pay the rest of the 90% as cash of books) - does that mean you pay road tax on 10% of the regular price?

the document you mentioned says:

2. Cost of the vehicle in relation to a motor vehicle means –
(a) In respect of a vehicle manufactured in India, cost of the vehicle as per the purchase invoice issued either by the manufacturer or by the dealer of the vehicle including the excise duty, sales tax, surcharge or cess, entry tax etc., as payable in the State of Karnataka; and

So I'm thinking this is ambiguous - does it include discounts or not?

Last edited by vina : 15th June 2011 at 12:40.
Old 15th June 2011, 13:37   #111
BHPian

not pocket the money, but increase revenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Rajath, I was talking about Kerala. In my case, I got the tax bill for the whole amount I paid, so I do not see any scope where he could have made money. The whole system is computerized and I am not sure RTO can issue me a receipt for a certain amount and later he can enter a different amount in the system and pocket the rest of the money.

Any way, if you think you have a strong case, do make it a point to raise your voice. As a customer you are entitled to have a clear view of what is happening with your money.
Ok, you have a point here, but in my case (i.e.) in UP the tax is calculated as per the sale certificate issued by the vendor (I think its called Form 22), for my Swift VDi too this was the case, so I know this happens.

As for 90% discount, never thought on those lines
Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
So what happens if, let us say, the dealer sells you a car with 90% discount (because you are his son, or because you are willing to pay the rest of the 90% as cash of books) - does that mean you pay road tax on 10% of the regular price?

the document you mentioned says:

2. Cost of the vehicle in relation to a motor vehicle means –
(a) In respect of a vehicle manufactured in India, cost of the vehicle as per the purchase invoice issued either by the manufacturer or by the dealer of the vehicle including the excise duty, sales tax, surcharge or cess, entry tax etc., as payable in the State of Karnataka; and

So I'm thinking this is ambiguous - does it include discounts or not?
Old 15th June 2011, 17:23   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
not pocket the money, but increase revenue

Ok, you have a point here, but in my case (i.e.) in UP the tax is calculated as per the sale certificate issued by the vendor (I think its called Form 22), for my Swift VDi too this was the case, so I know this happens.

As for 90% discount, never thought on those lines

Well, can you find out (in case you are going to deal with these guys anyway)?

I would like to see if I can get a refund too.

In your case - based on even the "official" ex-showroom price you should have paid less to the RTO - you should get a refund from the dealer.
Old 15th June 2011, 19:27   #113
BHPian

Ofcourse I am going to talk to these guys,

I will ask them to explain the registration amount mentioned in the invoice and the actual receipts received from the RTO, whether or not I get a refund is a totally different story.

Will keep the progress posted here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Well, can you find out (in case you are going to deal with these guys anyway)?

I would like to see if I can get a refund too.

In your case - based on even the "official" ex-showroom price you should have paid less to the RTO - you should get a refund from the dealer.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:06   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse I am going to talk to these guys,

I will ask them to explain the registration amount mentioned in the invoice and the actual receipts received from the RTO, whether or not I get a refund is a totally different story.

Will keep the progress posted here
Do keep us updated. The original receipt from RTO should be a good proof for you to demand the refund. Can you try contacting any independent agent, just to see what amounts he will be quoting?
Old 14th November 2012, 12:14   #115
BHPian

Fraud alert - Khivraj Maruti Dealer, Chennai

Dear Team,

As our family shifted to Chennai we wanted to buy a Ritz again, but Zdi this time. So me and my wife went to Khivraj Maruti in Chennai. I am totally new to Chennai and I don't even know Tamil. When we enquired about the Ritz Zdi, the SA told us that they dont have any Zdi but can show me Zxi and the difference between them is only the engine.

After that he has given me proforma invoice quoting some where around 82K as Life time Tax, Road Tax, Extended Warrenty + Basic Accessories. I know that in Tamilnadu the road tax is 10% and for 6.4L car quoting 82K is more.

I have asked the SA to give me the breakup of the 82K. Then started that drama. He said he will go and get one calculator. He took 20 minutes to come back. He handed over me a paper in which he has given the break up as below -

Fright - 950 (per him this includes the petrol and driver batta)
Basic Accessories - 2500 (he could not give me the break up this)
Life tax (10%) - 64K (approx)
Extended Warrenty - 7200 (he is saying that it is only 3rd year)
Temp Registration - 900
Transportation and Logistics - 1000

When I started calculating these amounts, I found that -

1. The total is not summing up to 82K
2. When I have asked him that I will do the registration and don't need them to do it he totally disagreed. When I warned him that if I am not allowed to do the registration by myself, I will walk away then also he was ready with that.
3. When I started taking the quotation given by him, he literrally grabbed that from my hand and when I asked him to give it to me he was not ready.

The points I wanted to make are -

1. Is this the same practice by all car dealers in Chennai that they charge premium to the customers and expect them to pay without even asking what for they are paying?

2. By the way the SA and his leader took the quotation from my hand and were shouting on me my wife was so terrified. She is a pregnent and she become so panic and started shivering. Also she started vomiting immediately coming out of the showroom. In my past experience of buying two cars from Maruti (in Hyderabad) I did not faced any such arrogant behaviour from Maruti. Is this the expected behaviour of Maruti staff in Chennai.

3. If I wanted to escalate this unhealthy experience to Maruti what should I do? First of all will they listen as I came to know that Khivraj is their very old dealer.

4. My suggestion to people in Chennai and prospective Maruti buyers, please keep yourself away from Khivraj. They are goons and morons.
Old 14th November 2012, 12:45   #116
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fraud alert - Khivraj Maruti Dealer, Chennai

This is not the norm, my friend bought his zen from ABT and his buying experience was much better. Earlier Khivraj was not like this, did you try some other location (I believe there are 3 or 4 Khivraj showrooms), or better still try some other dealer as well.

I am not sure but this seems like a cheap trip to make some quick money, on questioning deeper, the opportunity seemed slipping away hence the rude behavior. Should be reported to Khivraj and Maruti.
Old 14th November 2012, 12:59   #117
Senior - BHPian

@rnidumolu,

I am surprised and disgusted at the same time regarding your experience with Maruti dealer. Its a pity that your wife had to witness the rowdy behaviour of the dealer staff.

Best way to start is to officially log a complaint with maruti regarding the dealer and the high handedness of the staff. If you get a feedback, then nothing like it. Call up MS regional office in Chennai and if reqd escalate the matter to much higher authorities. Visit the MS website and get all the contact details.

Parallely you can enquire at other MS showrooms in Chennai. All the best.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 13:01   #118
Team-BHP Support

First things first. Escalate this to Maruti. Pronto. This is unheard of behavior! Also let the dealership know that you may file a lawsuit for having caused agony leading up to medical scare for a pregnant lady and also make Maruti a joint responder to the same since they are acting as their agents.

Anything in the world that I can't stand are the boorish people who have not learnt the basic decorum of interacting in a civilized society.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 13:16   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

The only way you can save yourself from being conned is to be well informed.

Khivraj is an old name in Chennai and it is shocking to see this poor example.

Please visit multiple dealers to gauge who is the most genuine.

My first experience at dealerships - 2/4 wheelers and even white goods showrooms in Chennai has been bad - salesmen lack knowledge , just want you to accept the deal without asking questions and latch on to you if you try to walk out.
Old 14th November 2012, 13:22   #120
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear your experience. But before you escalate to Maruti, please see if you can ask a friend of yours to pose as a potential buyer and obtain a quotation from the SA. Also hope you have the names of the dealer staff you met. Armed with this quotation please approach Maruti and ask them whether this particular dealer practise is approved by them or not ? To further underline the specific malpractise at Khivraj, you may go and visit another Maruti dealer and take a quotation and check for differences. In that case, Khivraj will clearly be nailed. Else alteast you can highlight to Maruti that 2 of their dealers are unnecessarily inflating the cost

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks