Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2013, 15:14   #136
BHPian

Re: My (Failed) attempt at buying a SUV/MUV

Really really surprising, considering the segment of cars you were interested in. Never expected this of Honda atleast. And the comment regarding Renault is spot on.

Considering i need to start negotiating for a City in a few months, i really hope the Amaze doesn't get in their head too much for them to start being non- responsive to other customers.
Old 28th April 2013, 16:01   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A consumer who is willing to plonk thirty big ones on the table cant be all that common.
Ideally, experience should be consistent regardless of how much your budget is, but of course, one tend to expect more eagerness from the seller's side when they meet a potential customer for a product that is not selling that well

Quote:
Have you considered a Santa Fe or a Captiva at all?
did not consider Santa Fe since I am expecting the fluidic version to come out sometime this year. Captiva - well, maybe I should consider. I will look at it one of these days.
Old 28th April 2013, 16:04   #138
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300 View Post

Ideally, experience should be consistent regardless of how much your budget is, but of course, one tend to expect more eagerness from the seller's side when they meet a potential customer for a product that is not selling that well

did not consider Santa Fe since I am expecting the fluidic version to come out sometime this year. Captiva - well, maybe I should consider. I will look at it one of these days.
In an ideal world yes, customers should be treated like gods. Welcome to the real world of third rate, under paid dealer sales executives...
Old 28th April 2013, 17:54   #139
Team-BHP Support

I would say give other dealer/manufacturers a try. And since you are open to Petrol Car/SUV, please do look at the Grand Vitara & the Outlander as well.
Old 28th April 2013, 18:21   #140
Senior - BHPian

I too have the same treatment when I visited some of the brand showroom.
I am very much keen in XUV 5OO AWD. But no dealer in Chennai have a TD vehicle with them and they are just asked me to TD a 2WD car.
I am really surprised how come we shell out 18 Lakhs in car without TD.
I had posted it in Mahindra Site and got a response that they will arrange a TD some how. But after sometimes I got a call from Zuleikha Motors from where I have enquired already about AWD.
So I don't have any hope that I can get a TD of AWD anywhere in India
God only saves this industry.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 28th April 2013 at 18:22.
Old 28th April 2013, 18:52   #141
Senior - BHPian

I think it's more on how the dealership based model works.

A dealer places order on a monthly/quarterly basis to the company.

He has to specify the following

1. Car model
2. Variant
3. Color

Accordingly the plant manufacturing takes place, as per orders from dealers across the nation.

These vehicles are produced thus and shipped to the dealer. Dealer this sells it out to you/me.

Now depending on the demand at the showroom the dealer keeps some models from the inventory for himself. These vehicles he generally keeps a demo vehicles as there is a huge demand and he has to keep ready a few cars to demo for the enquiries.

Some of the low demand car models are not kept by him for demo due to the following
1. Low demand
2. High cost (for CRV etc)

Dealer is interested in making money, will not keep his money idle for a car model for which he hardly has any enquiry. This largely depends on the enquiry at the dealership. Same dealer may have different cars for demo depending on location of his dealership.

Car companies are interested in dumping their lot to dealers, whichever way they can. Dealer has to take a call on what to order depending on what he will be able to sell.

Some of the car models are not available for TD as the dealer hasn't allocated it for himself, he rather sold them to the customers as and when there was a demand, if you enquired during that time there are chances that the dealer will bring a customers car (come for delivery) as demo vehicle for you.

As long as the current dealer based method continues, low volume cars will be tough to get for test drives. Unless there is a company owned showroom where they will try to have as many models available for test drive.
Old 28th April 2013, 18:58   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Its actually surprising and shameful that dealers expect you to buy a 30L vehicle without even seeing it in flesh. The same happened at Toyota here in Vadodara. I had gone to them to give my car for servicing and while waiting me and my friend thought to check out the Fortuner and take a TD if possible. But to my surprise they didn't have a display vehicle or a TD vehicle. Now how do people then buy the Fortuner here? But then I am guessing many people are ready to still put down there money on these vehicles on the basis of what they have read/heard from friends and family about these vehicles. Hence the dealers may not see the point in keeping a vehicle since its already selling itself so easily.
Old 28th April 2013, 21:15   #143
KMT
BHPian

This experience of yours just shows what a strong run of sales Auto dealers have had over the past 5-10 years.

They complain about a stagnant market and low demand but can't recognise a genuine lead when it falls on their lap.

Well we can only hope that such downturns will wake them from their easy life and take us customers a bit more seriously.

All the best and dont give up on your new SUV
Old 1st May 2013, 12:06   #144
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300 View Post
My Innova is getting old, and I wanted to replace it with a 'next level' SUV/MPV.
In case, you are interested in the Pajero Sport (which incidentally is a phenomenal vehicle IMO), I can arrange a leisurely TD at a place and time of your choice since I know the MD of the local dealership pretty well.

For Toyota too, let me know if you need any help, I know a few biggies at Viva and Nandi.

While what has happened to you should not happen to anyone, I can help you if required. Let me know.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 16:17   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
In case, you are interested in the Pajero Sport (which incidentally is a phenomenal vehicle IMO), I can arrange a leisurely TD at a place and time of your choice since I know the MD of the local dealership pretty well.

For Toyota too, let me know if you need any help, I know a few biggies at Viva and Nandi.

While what has happened to you should not happen to anyone, I can help you if required. Let me know.
Thanks a lot for the offer to help! After my failed attempt, I am rethinking if I need to really go for a new vehicle or wait for some more time. In case decide to go ahead, I would certainly take this offer. Thanks again!
Old 1st May 2013, 19:08   #146
BHPian

Re: "Good Day, I am interested in test driving..." "Sorry Sir, We dont have a car for

My friend went to the Honda dealership at Amritsar at 4 pm on Saturday.He was told to wait for 30 minutes and then told " Sir, demo car has been locked,come on Monday for a test drive" .He had to ask another sales attendant to atleast show him the interiors in the display car.To which they obliged as a favour to him.After he himself asked for water and was told "to look for filled glasses on the table behind the brio",my friend asked sarcastically " should i take an appointment for monday"? he was told seriously " its better to take an appointment as the car is often sent out to clients".

The Amaze is selling itself! and the dealers are enjoying the attention and acting as donors giving out alms!

The sales agents I guess have already met their quota for the year !

The car is being sent on house visits to "special clients",those expected to pay cash and buy accessories with fat margins!

The curious customers ,first time Honda visitors are being treated as people who line up for alms outside various religious places and being told - " come tomorrow, aaj ka to khatam ho gaya"!

It is a good time to be a honda dealer right now
Old 23rd September 2013, 17:29   #147
BHPian

Test Drive - Options

Hi All
Not sure whether you have faced this, but for a few bikes, cars (high end, exclusive, expensive) ones it is difficult to get a test ride. Moreover even if you get a test ride, drive it is generally a small one within the company premises. E.g. i recently went for a KTM 390 test ride in Pune. I was given a very short test ride within the premises and wasn't able to appreciate the bike completely.

Now i understand that these are company policies to prevent the vehicle been robbed, injuries, etc, but this got me thinking in case something can be done to improve it. Following are a few thoughts which came to my mind
  1. Introducing a nominal payment for a test ride, with booking in advance
  2. Identity proof verification before the test ride
  3. If the payment option is not practical, retaining / blocking the credit cards

Now i know a few of you will bash me up for suggesting this, but i feel this will help ensure that only interested people will go for the test rides. That ways hopefully we will be able to test ride a few exotic vehicles as well which currently i can only dream of owning.

Feel free to share your thoughts, feedback.
Old 26th September 2013, 18:53   #148
Team-BHP Support

Re: "Good Day, I am interested in test driving..." "Sorry Sir, We dont have a car for

Having seen pages of stories, I just wonder, is it plain arrogance or just downright stupidity on their part to follow-up ? Do they really forget to call ? All it takes these days is to put a reminder on your phone or your calendar.

Cannot understand the logic (if any) of these guys. When there is a deluge of enquiries, one can understand the psyche at least. But What about queries of the order of single digits? One cant even follow that ?

Last edited by ampere : 26th September 2013 at 18:55.
Old 26th September 2013, 19:02   #149
Senior - BHPian

Just got off the phone from the third phone call from Skoda in the space of an hour, firmly refusing their offer to come over for a test drive of the Rapid and withdrawing my custom for the same.
After all they broke their two earlier TD commitments, without any intimation. If this is pre sales then what would be the post sales
Old 26th September 2013, 19:11   #150
Senior - BHPian

This had happened to me when me and my friend were TDing cars before we settled for the Jazz a year ago.

We visited the Advaith Hyundai showroom on Residency Road for a TD of the i20. We were cold shouldered by almost all employees and had to go ask for a Test Drive ourselves. A lady then replied - "Sorry Sir, we don't have a car for TD." I sighed and left the premises. Disappointed at not only the Customer Service we got but also the fact that they didn't have a TD vehicle of an i20.

The shock was after we brought the Jazz home. I got a call from the folks at Advaith Hyundai who asked me why I didn't buy the i20. I explained to her their shoddy Customer Service and lack of a TD car were 2 important reasons. She then asks me not to tell anyone else about their Customer Service and that there was no TD car ! I chuckled on the phone and obliged for diplomacy's sake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks