Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2015, 11:38   #61
BHPian

Re: What to do in case of a minor car accident

Need advice: I was involved in minor accident at an intersection wherein a scooter hit my car close to the rear left wheel. Luckily no one was seriously injured. The blame was put on me, couldn't find a scratch on my car, but the scooter had its front bumper and plastics broken. I assume this was due to the fall. The local cops (Hoyasala) dispersed the crowd and the matter was settled at Rs 2500 and the cops asked me to leave.
Since it was night and I was alone, I didn't want to stay any longer at the spot. Question: Should I report this incident to the jurisdictional traffic police station? So that in future there are no claims or extortion demands.
Old 28th February 2015, 12:58   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I assume this was due to the fall. The local cops (Hoyasala) dispersed the crowd and the matter was settled at Rs 2500 and the cops asked me to leave.
Hi
you have not mentioned your perspective of the accident, and who was at fault and so on, and therefore unable to suggest any alternate course of action. You mention that the matter was settled at Rs.2500 and I would assume that you and the other party agreed. Hence pay Rs2500 and make a written agreement that the other party took the compensation and that the matter is settled and thus avoid having doubt of further claim from other party. But if you wish not to go pay as agreed mutually then without facts it is difficult to ascertain a course of action
Old 1st March 2015, 19:09   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Hi
you have not mentioned your perspective of the accident, and who was at fault and so on, and therefore unable to suggest any alternate course of action. You mention that the matter was settled at Rs.2500 and I would assume that you and the other party agreed. Hence pay Rs2500 and make a written agreement that the other party took the compensation and that the matter is settled and thus avoid having doubt of further claim from other party. But if you wish not to go pay as agreed mutually then without facts it is difficult to ascertain a course of action
Regarding fault, both parties claimed their innocence. The usual big vehicle vs. small vehicle card was played out, plus no damage on my car vs. some visible damage on the scooter, plus it was area dominated by a certain community and the victims were of that community. The money was paid and accepted by the other party in the presence of police. Since it was late and considering the area, I decided to move out without any documentary proof (only the inspector would be the proof). I have decided to wait it out and take up the matter legally if it arises again.
Old 28th December 2016, 09:33   #64
BANNED

Over the weekend in Kolhapur, a friends car was damaged by a new learning driver, a 12 yr old kid, while he was trying to learn how to drive a bike.
Friends car was stand still in the parking. Car is hit pretty badly with damage on the door and sides.

Kid's father, who was nearby, showing how to drive bike, was nearby. Incidentally he is a Lawyer who came to us and told us we cant do anything about it. We cant goto police and launch complaint or cant goto Insurance company as the kid who hit our Car in minor. How true is that?

He was very arrogant in his approach as if he was threatening us not to do anything
Old 28th December 2016, 10:33   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNAN View Post

Kid's father, who was nearby, showing how to drive bike, was nearby. Incidentally he is a Lawyer who came to us and told us we cant do anything about it. We cant goto police and launch complaint or cant goto Insurance company as the kid who hit our Car in minor. How true is that?

He was very arrogant in his approach as if he was threatening us not to do anything
You can and you must go and file a case. The child might be a minor but you can put a case against the parent for diminished responsibility
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 10:45   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNAN View Post
We cant goto police and launch complaint or cant goto Insurance company as the kid who hit our Car in minor. How true is that?
Not true. Remember the infamously famous Mohammed Nisham who let his 9 year old kid drive a ferrari? He was arrested for it. Definitely go and register a case.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 13:16   #67
BHPian

Hi All,
Yesterday my car was hit in the parking lot by the car parked next to it. The owner a lady. instead of admitting the fault is having an attitude of "do what you can".

Already filed an FIR (to receive it later today) with the police station. Even the police is of the opinion that "saar why take risk with woman", just file on your own insurance. And VW is saying without her confirming and providing her insurance details, there is nothing they can do.

Here are the pictures I could take. My question is; is this the best one can do?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What to do in case of a minor car accident-img0516.jpg  

What to do in case of a minor car accident-img0517.jpg  

What to do in case of a minor car accident-img0521.jpg  

What to do in case of a minor car accident-img0523.jpg  

What to do in case of a minor car accident-img0524.jpg  

sprocket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 08:25   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
My question is; is this the best one can do?
The Third party claim process in our country is not robust enough to take the hassles of filing an FIR and claiming insurance from the lady's Insurance co. Best way is the confirm if you really need to claim insurance and if yes, then go ahead and claim from your own insurance co. In no way I am discouraging you, but some times being practical helps.

Since the lady has already shown attitude, expect her to refuse the claim from her insurance co.
Old 9th January 2018, 08:47   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

A retrospective question to understand how to act in future situations, and to be a little more wiser.

This was about 4 years back when I was driving with @mikon in my Vento in an interior residential area (no signals, narrow roads, parked vehicles, grocery shops, the local works, etc). We came to a crossing where I had to turn left; and there was a Maruti van coming from the left who was crossing in front of us.

Wasn't paying complete attention; took a longer turn than needed; and my right side of my front bumper hit the right side of the van. This was at low 20-30 kmph speeds; visibly no damage to my bumper except a few minor scratches and number plate got a crack. The rear side door of the van completely caved in.

Long story short, I negotiated with his demands and paid about ~5000 Rs as compensation and we walked away from the situation.

Looking back at the situation; in an ideal world, I probably should have given my insurance details and asked him to file an FIR and claim it through 3rd party insurance. What would have been the ordeal at my end if I had taken that route?

Request inputs from folks who have gone in that direction or are part of the legal world.
Old 9th January 2018, 09:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Looking back at the situation; in an ideal world, I probably should have given my insurance details and asked him to file an FIR and claim it through 3rd party insurance. What would have been the ordeal at my end if I had taken that route?

Request inputs from folks who have gone in that direction or are part of the legal world.
The main cog in the third party claims process is the time. If one has patience and time (loads of it) then the TPL claim process can be initiated.

Few links which detail the third party claim process. I am yet to come across a detailed process, have requested a BHPian who works in the motor insurance business to share the same.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/49086589.cms

https://www.icicilombard.com/insuran...otor-insurance

http://www.rediff.com/money/report/p...d/20150609.htm
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 13:58   #71
BHPian

Under what amount is it better to go with self repair instead of insurance? While backing up, didn't notice a tree and hit a tree. Rear bumper of Jazz dented. would it be worth it going with insurance or paying out of pocket? Any idea whether bumper needs to be replaced or can be repaired?

Also, I have already paid for the renewal premium which starts next month which includes NCB. If I make a claim now, will they charge me for the NCB amount?

Last edited by sanchari : 5th February 2018 at 14:13.
Old 5th February 2018, 15:38   #72
BANNED

I am in a dilemma here. Couple of week back, one corporate transport bus touched my car rear area, causing a mild scratched bumper and dented rear wheel arc. Next door FNG guy had a look and quoted 12K for work that includes dismantling of 2 panels for denting and coloring. It seems they have price according to number of panels affected. I have yet to dare to check with authorized service center.
Now, my insurance is running with 50% NCB. I am due for a car upgrade, probably mid next year. If I go with insurance claim, though it won’t hurt that much with renewal of a 7 year old car. But, I may lose a good amount during my next car purchase and then also in subsequent renewals. Again, I guess bumper panting is outside insurance.
So, what is advisable, go for insurance claim route or get a cash hit of 12K.
Old 5th February 2018, 15:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

What to do in case of a minor car accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
So, what is advisable, go for insurance claim route or get a cash hit of 12K.

Pay the 12k cash and have it done. You will benefit substantially on your new car insurance with the NCB at the highest value.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 5th February 2018 at 15:53.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 16:31   #74
BHPian

I am also in a dilemma whether to claim the insurance or get it repaired at a FNG.

1st instance : hit and run by the taxi when the car was parked outside. Damage on the left hand side of the car and the circled area has a dent.
What to do in case of a minor car accident-scross-damage-1.jpeg

I did not claim the insurance and was running the car without getting this repaired.

2nd instance :Today saw the below scratches. Not sure if some did this with purpose or it was a kid who was playing caused these.

What to do in case of a minor car accident-scross-damage-2.jpeg

Any suggestions whether to claim the insurance or not?

Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 22:28   #75

Some insurance companies also offer a 'NCB Protect' ad-on coverage. NCB Protection cover is an optional add on provided by a few insurers on a private car comprehensive package insurance policy. After opting for a NCB protection cover, you can retain your NCB discount on your vehicle up to a maximum of 2 own damage claims in the year. In case you feel you may be prone to scratches or dents due to children playing in your society or on account of your car being parked in the streets, this optional coverage could be a great investment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks