Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2020, 20:54   #76
MMV
BHPian

Re: What to do in case of a minor car accident

Had a small freak accident last week, the bottom line is to forget it and move on unless it pinches your pocket too much.

To elaborate, when I was at a traffic island (slightly downslope), an Activa banged from behind. The driver and passenger were unhurt, good samratian passers-by helped them too even in COVID-19 times. I was initially worried about the injury to the scooter guys as the impact was huge, first thought a car had banged from rear.

The impact of scooter was mainly on my cars silencer, which fell down and rear bumper (very poorly fitted part in Etios and probably the most replaced) also got dislocated. When I first got down the scooter guys (vagabond types, no ridicule intended) was apologetic about not applying brakes and was sitting down. It turned out that driver of Activa was drunk and ran away by the time Traffic cops came, leaving his pillion rider to answer the cops.

Traffic cop suggested me to go to nearby station and register a NC complaint, he also offered to arrange for a vehicle. Since my house 500m away, I decided to drive home slowly and then decide on next steps.

The decision points before me where:
1) Moral hazard of letting a drunk driver go scott free by not registering a Police complaint

2) Going to PS and increase my exposure in current COVID-19 times (family considerations too). Also the scooter was not insured for over 3 years, so no hope of getting any compensation for this rash act

3) Should I replace the bumper (which will call for insurance claim) or get a quick fix done from a local workshop. Also, I wanted my car on Monday (the incident happened on Saturday night)

Next day morning, decided to get the work done from nearest available worskhop, he charged 2,500/- as the silencer needed to be straightened. Decided against insurance claim (as repair cost was 2,500 against min deductable in my Acko policy of 5,000+1,000. Also, NCB of 50% would be wasted)
Attached Thumbnails
What to do in case of a minor car accident-20200928_204541.jpg  

What to do in case of a minor car accident-20200928_204430.jpg  

Old 13th March 2022, 00:20   #77

Had a small accident two days back, in which the tailgate has damaged. Was hit by a Tiago from behind, which was actually hit by a Dzire at its back. The scene has got captured on my rear dashcam. It was straightaway fault of the Dzire guy, who at once accepted his mistake. As 'Lord Tiago' did not sustain any damage, its owner wasn't bothered. However, I insisted Dzire guy to cover the damages. He asked me to come to a local shop with him. As mine is only two month's old car, I told him that I will get it repaired from the showroom itself. Being a new driver, I wasn't aware of the charges that I will have to bear. He said he will cover all the expenses. I took his aadhar card, his mobile number, made of two mins video of him. Since he was so accomodating, we left the scene with this understanding.
Thereafter, I visited the showroom after office hours. I was told that the dickey will need to be replaced. Hence insurance claim will be required. My total expenses will be:- File charges, NCB loss + misc. (salvage, consumables,etc) i.e. roughly 3k to 3.5k.

Called the Dzire guy. He agreed to pay via Gpay. However, I didn't receive anything even after a day has passed. He messaged me that it wasn't his fault but actually the fault of the Tiago guy. After that he blocked my number and WhatsApp too.

I realized that my first mistake was not to press him for hard cash on the spot of the accident itself. Now I strongly need the advice of forum members for ways to make the guy pay me for the expenses.
Old 13th March 2022, 02:48   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNerd View Post
Now I strongly need the advice of forum members for ways to make the guy pay me for the expenses.
1. Visit the guy's house with some friends.
Not recommended.

2. Go to your police station. Lodge a complaint. Write the ordeal in one A4 white paper with a carbon copy as a recieving. Insist the officer on duty to call the guy and negotiate with the guy.
Recommended if you are a person who believes in the right way.

3. Forget it. 3,500rs is not that much to lose sleep and piece of mind. Take it as a lesson and understand the accident game. You are not the person nor will be the last person to face this situation. NCB is nothing to fret over.
Highly recommended.
Sran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 05:09   #79
BHPian

Many decades ago, my friend was driving in Bahrain. He stopped at "Yield" signboard as he was to merge into Priority Road. While he was waiting for opportunity, a local banged into his rear. The local advised him to move away as the damage was minimal, yet my friend followed the law and called Police.
When the Cops came, the Local started first and by gestures my friend understood that he was telling that while he was stationary, the Indian reversed and hit him. Friend told him that if he doesn't have money to pay fine for causing accident, he would pay on his behalf, but not to make false accusations.
The Policeman laughed and told friend not to bother, as he knew that Local is lying. Needless to say, he fined the Local severely.
Old 13th March 2022, 11:30   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post

2. Go to your police station. Lodge a complaint. Write the ordeal in one A4 white paper with a carbon copy as a recieving. Insist the officer on duty to call the guy and negotiate with the guy.
Recommended if you are a person who believes in the right way.
Thanks for the advice. Will following this route have some repurcursions in my insurance claim? Some say vehicle will b impounded. Or if there is an FIR involved, Insurance company wont process the claim. I was planning to submit it to service center tomorrow. Please advice.
Old 13th March 2022, 12:47   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNerd View Post
Thanks for the advice. Will following this route have some repurcursions in my insurance claim? Some say vehicle will b impounded. Or if there is an FIR involved, Insurance company wont process the claim. I was planning to submit it to service center tomorrow. Please advice.
There is rarely any person who will risk 4,000 rs vs having a complaint filed against him/her. Given an option there is 99.99% chance he will pay up at that very moment and ask you not to file a complaint. The issue is managing officer on duty or any other personnel to call that person. One phone call from the premise and chances are he will pay.

The guy should be asked to come to p.s and negotiation should happen in the p.s premises. The amount should be paid then and there, promises are of no use. Once you move on with promise of payment later in the day or next day, you will lose the advantage. Next day even police will not be intersted in helping you with negotiations and official peocedure will begin and then you will bail out because it is cumbersome and everyone is busy including you.

It is advised to file a police complaint after accident, and no, insurance do not get denied after filing FIR. Try it. You should go to your p.s armed with already written complaint with carbon copy in formal manner. Usb with accident footage plus the 2 minute footage and his identity cards. If you feel things aren't going as you planned you can always walk out. No shame, that's how learn and evolve as a person.
Sran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 23:16   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It is advised to file a police complaint after accident, and no, insurance do not get denied after filing FIR. Try it. You should go to your p.s armed with already written complaint with carbon copy in formal manner. Usb with accident footage plus the 2 minute footage and his identity cards. If you feel things aren't going as you planned you can always walk out. No shame, that's how learn and evolve as a person.
Apart from all these attachments to support the contention that the other person was on the wrong foot, please also write in the FIR about the need to acquire CCTV footage availability at the spot if any, which the police are swift in procuring should the need arise.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 13:57   #83

Quote:
There is rarely any person who will risk 4,000 rs vs having a complaint filed against him/her. Given an option there is 99.99% chance he will pay up at that very moment and ask you not to file a complaint. The issue is managing officer on duty or any other personnel to call that person. One phone call from the premise and chances are he will pay.

The guy should be asked to come to p.s and negotiation should happen in the p.s premises. The amount should be paid then and there, promises are of no use. Once you move on with promise of payment later in the day or next day, you will lose the advantage. Next day even police will not be intersted in helping you with negotiations and official peocedure will begin and then you will bail out because it is cumbersome and everyone is busy including you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Apart from all these attachments to support the contention that the other person was on the wrong foot, please also write in the FIR about the need to acquire CCTV footage availability at the spot if any, which the police are swift in procuring should the need arise.
Thanks all for your valuable advice. I had finally decided to file a complaint. Even drafted one and saved the dashcam video, pictures of all car's involved in the accident, Id proof of the guilty, call recordings, etc into a usb for submission alongwith my complaint. I asked a friend to company me to the police station for the extra support. However, as a last resort, made a call to the Dzire guy from friend's number. I made him aware that I am all set to lodge the complaint and also told him that I will use any influence available with me to make sure that he gets punished. His response was that he is ready to see me in court. But after the conversation ended with no positive result, in no later than 15 mins, I received Rs.3000 in my Paytm account.
Lesson's learned:-
1) Dash Cams are really important. Before purchasing one, I was skeptical to buy the rear camera and was only looking for only a front cam. However, went with both rear and front set up and it was the rear camera that actually came to use in this case.
2) Disputes should be settled on the accident spot itself. If the other guy is ready to cover for damages, quicky access the damage and take a rough figure on the spot itself, and if the opposite party denies and you have relevant proof, eg dashcam recordings, one should not hesitate to call the PCR.
3) Such accidents do affect one's peace of mind. As mine was just a two-month old car, it bothered me a lot. However, one cant control such situations, and these are even bound to repeat irrespective of how carefully you drive. Just stay calm and let the insurance do its job.
AutoNerd is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks