Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2013, 21:27   #2386
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 67
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

I checked out insurance rates for both bajaj allianz and bharti axa for my 2010 chevy beat LT(O) with 0% depreciation, NCB 25%. Bajaj is charging rs. 9860 (IDV 3 lakhs) and bharti (IDV 2.79 lakhs) is charging 7400. Personally, I'm leaning towards bajaj as they're a bigger and more reputable brand. Also, axa doesn't seem to have any tie-ups with chevy dealers in vadodara or ahmedabad. However, i'm just concerned with how good bajaj is in vadodara or ahmedabad. Does anyone have any experience?

Last edited by bbyf16 : 26th January 2013 at 21:40. Reason: addition
bbyf16 is offline  
Old 28th January 2013, 11:32   #2387
F50
Senior - BHPian
 
F50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai/USA
Posts: 1,708
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
I checked out insurance rates for both bajaj allianz and bharti axa for my 2010 chevy beat LT(O) with 0% depreciation, NCB 25%. Bajaj is charging rs. 9860 (IDV 3 lakhs) and bharti (IDV 2.79 lakhs) is charging 7400. Personally, I'm leaning towards bajaj as they're a bigger and more reputable brand. Also, axa doesn't seem to have any tie-ups with chevy dealers in vadodara or ahmedabad. However, i'm just concerned with how good bajaj is in vadodara or ahmedabad. Does anyone have any experience?
Bajaj Allianz's rates are quite but they provide quality service. Try getting quotes from Future Generali or Tata AIG (provided they have cashless with the dealer) Their rates are on lower side.

Edit: Just read its a 2010 model. Bajaj and AXA are the only two options. When is your renewal? Because Liberty Videocon is launching in the first week of Feb '13 and they do offer Zero Dep upto 5 year old cars.

Last edited by F50 : 28th January 2013 at 11:34.
F50 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 23:50   #2388
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 67
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

thanks for the input. I think i'll stick to bajaj allianz. Not really confident of trying out a new insurance carrier especially with no reviews and no track record. Plus, i'm sure it'll take months for dealers to start cashless services with them. Thanks for the input guys!
bbyf16 is offline  
Old 29th January 2013, 09:07   #2389
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,510
Thanked: 2,959 Times
Default Re: Depreciation to Apply on Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Recently heard that IRDA is working on a proposal to apply the depreciation rate on the cost of painting as well - not too clear if it will be on the cost of paint only or whether it will be on the painting charges as well.
Your worst fears are confirmed. Attached is the latest IRDA ruling regarding the depreciation on cost of painting. However it says that the ruling will be applicable on motor policies whose risk inception falls on or after 01st Feb 2013.
ghodlur is offline  
Old 29th January 2013, 11:55   #2390
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 2,028
Thanked: 2,349 Times
Default Re: Depreciation to Apply on Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Your worst fears are confirmed. Attached is the latest IRDA ruling regarding the depreciation on cost of painting. However it says that the ruling will be applicable on motor policies whose risk inception falls on or after 01st Feb 2013.
Thanks Ghodlur.

I think the guidelines from IRDA is sensible as they are taking a middleground in identifying the two elements separately.

But see post from K2mx6 below - interesting that Insurers have already started doing this.

Best Regards and Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline  
Old 29th January 2013, 20:18   #2391
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 277
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Hi folks, I had a query on whether I can get a insurance claim for replacement of a part without any accident or damage to the car ?

I have a 2007 Honda Civic which recently came up with an issue related to the steering assembly.
The Honda Service Centre guys say that the bill can endup anywhere between 40,000 to 80,000 depending upon what part to change.

The main issue with the car is that, there is a oil leak from the steering pump, which was probably caused by a stone hitting the steering pump of the car.

So can I get an insurance claim if I get the pump or the steering assembly replaced from an Authorised Honda Service Centre ?
Or will I have to prove that the car met with an accident or something ?

Can anyone suggest me with a way out of this situation ?

Thanks.
satyamkaushik is offline  
Old 30th January 2013, 08:27   #2392
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,510
Thanked: 2,959 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Hi folks, I had a query on whether I can get a insurance claim for replacement of a part without any accident or damage to the car ?
Yes, you can claim for the repair expenses. Contact the Insurer to arrange for the surveyor to inspect the damages and file the claim. Be sure that Honda is qouting the right repair charges. For your information, post the query either as a seperate thread or in the existing Honda Civic threads so that you are sure that Honda is not taking you for a ride.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 12:37   #2393
F50
Senior - BHPian
 
F50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai/USA
Posts: 1,708
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
The main issue with the car is that, there is a oil leak from the steering pump, which was probably caused by a stone hitting the steering pump of the car.
Make sure this reason stands and be present when the surveyor is at the workshop. Convince him if he is not because if its proved that its wear and tear then the claim is not payable.

Private Car Package Policy wordings are as below:

The Company shall not be liable to make any payment in respect of:-

a) consequential loss, depreciation, wear and tear, mechanical or electrical breakdown, failures or breakages;

Last edited by F50 : 30th January 2013 at 12:40.
F50 is offline  
Old 30th January 2013, 15:26   #2394
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 277
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Yes, you can claim for the repair expenses. Contact the Insurer to arrange for the surveyor to inspect the damages and file the claim. Be sure that Honda is qouting the right repair charges. For your information, post the query either as a seperate thread or in the existing Honda Civic threads so that you are sure that Honda is not taking you for a ride.
Thanks for the reply

I took the car to another Honda workshop for second advice.
The final quote that they gave me was Rs.26500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post

Make sure this reason stands and be present when the surveyor is at the workshop. Convince him if he is not because if its proved that its wear and tear then the claim is not payable.

Private Car Package Policy wordings are as below:

The Company shall not be liable to make any payment in respect of:-

a) consequential loss, depreciation, wear and tear, mechanical or electrical breakdown, failures or breakages;
The service advisor at automa Honda told me that there are very few chances of me getting an insurance claim for a steering pump replacement.
He told that there is no way that they could show a damage to the pump.

As far as my policy is concerned it is currently with Reliance insurance.
satyamkaushik is offline  
Old 30th January 2013, 15:38   #2395
F50
Senior - BHPian
 
F50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai/USA
Posts: 1,708
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
The service advisor at automa Honda told me that there are very few chances of me getting an insurance claim for a steering pump replacement.
He told that there is no way that they could show a damage to the pump.

As far as my policy is concerned it is currently with Reliance insurance.
Exactly, thats the reason I said - make sure this reason stands.
I dont know where exactly is the steering pump (in a Civic) and whether a stone can easily damage it.

Stone hit damages can be claimed, just like a stone hitting a windscreen but those claims are not that easy and straightforward.

Last edited by F50 : 30th January 2013 at 15:41.
F50 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 16:35   #2396
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,510
Thanked: 2,959 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Make sure this reason stands and be present when the surveyor is at the workshop. Convince him if he is not because if its proved that its wear and tear then the claim is not payable.
Quote:
The Company will indemnify the insured against loss or damage to the vehicle insured hereunder and/or its accessories whilst thereon
vi. by accidental external means
Going by the above wordings, damage due to stone can be categorized under the above head, although this doesnt neccessarily mean that there should be body damage to go along with the parts damage. As rightly said the surveyor needs to be convinced.
ghodlur is offline  
Old 30th January 2013, 18:42   #2397
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 277
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post

Exactly, thats the reason I said - make sure this reason stands.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

Going by the above wordings, damage due to stone can be categorized under the above head, ......

The service advisor said that the surveyors these days are professional experts and have knowledge about each and every detail of the car and he knows whether a part can be damaged by a stone or not. Still if one can convince a surveyor then he can get a claim for practically any part he desires for.
So basically everything is dependent on the surveyor.
satyamkaushik is offline  
Old 30th January 2013, 23:26   #2398
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 2,028
Thanked: 2,349 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

What you said about the Surveyors is generally true. There may be some bad apples in there, but you cant paint every one with the same brush.

If I am not mistaken the location of the PS Pump is somewhere near the top of the engine by the side of the Water pump, just below the bonnet. I am attaching a picture of the same (the one you can see without the belt in the pulley is the part.

The probabilty of this being hit by a stone is rather remote and hence any Surveyor will want to explore this deeper especially as this is a expensive item. Next there are way to detemine if a crack has been caused by any external reason or otherwise. If a stone hit - under a powerful lense it would show that the crack is with and inward dent at the point of impact by the stone and even stone residues would be there.

A Surveyor has to do his job also and hence you can't find fault with hime for that.

I also would like to point out that Civics have PS Pump issues (I have owned one in the past here in Dubai and have experienced repetitive leaks after 4 years or so. Honda Civic forums also have discussions on this problems.

The picture is from the link:

I am not trying to take any side but pointing out facts. To me in all probabilty it looks like a wear and tear and hence is not claimable under insurance.

Auto parts do fail and you can't always find an external reason for it.

I don't know if you have extended warannty in India, if so this is claimable under that. I have done so for my manufacturer warranty was done with on completion of 3rd year and I had an extended warrant till the 5th year.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-honda-civic-ps-pump.jpg  


Last edited by r_nairtvm : 30th January 2013 at 23:29.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 08:02   #2399
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 277
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
What you said about the Surveyors is generally true. There may be some bad apples in there, but you cant paint every one with the same brush.

If I am not mistaken the location of the PS Pump is somewhere near the top of the engine by the side of the Water pump, just below the bonnet. I am attaching a picture of the same (the one you can see without the belt in the pulley is the part.

The probabilty of this being hit by a stone is rather remote and hence any Surveyor will want to explore this deeper especially as this is a expensive item. Next there are way to detemine if a crack has been caused by any external reason or otherwise. If a stone hit - under a powerful lense it would show that the crack is with and inward dent at the point of impact by the stone and even stone residues would be there.

A Surveyor has to do his job also and hence you can't find fault with hime for that.

I also would like to point out that Civics have PS Pump issues (I have owned one in the past here in Dubai and have experienced repetitive leaks after 4 years or so. Honda Civic forums also have discussions on this problems.

The picture is from the link: www.Youtube.com/watch?v=dV1fVx2SD2Y

I am not trying to take any side but pointing out facts. To me in all probabilty it looks like a wear and tear and hence is not claimable under insurance.

Auto parts do fail and you can't always find an external reason for it.

I don't know if you have extended warannty in India, if so this is claimable under that. I have done so for my manufacturer warranty was done with on completion of 3rd year and I had an extended warrant till the 5th year.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks for the reply r_nairtvm

I completely agree with what you said.
I myself saw the car on a lift and ya the pump is high above on the left side with a gap of around 2 inches.
First of all it's a metal part so it should not be affected by a small stone hitting the pump and more over even if it does it will be really hard for me to prove it.
You rightly said that this is a known issue for civics because I met a person yesterday at the workshop having the same issue with his car.

So now when the estimate is around 25-30k I am thinking of getting it done on cash only as I won't be getting any claims anyways.
satyamkaushik is offline  
Old 31st January 2013, 08:24   #2400
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,510
Thanked: 2,959 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
So now when the estimate is around 25-30k I am thinking of getting it done on cash only as I won't be getting any claims anyways.
So does this mean that the surveyor has refused the claim on the grounds of wear and tear OR you have decided not to claim. If you have decided not to claim insurance, suggest you check the FNG for a second opinion reg the part cost.
ghodlur is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks