Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 17:55   #2311
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 2,025
Thanked: 2,344 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I'm still a noob on insurance. I would like to know if I can claim insurance on my in-law's car, which have a front fender dented by a motorcycle, when I had been driving it?

Guess yes? Otherwise please correct me. I have to say that it was driven by my father-in-law and have to get his driving license.

Attachment 1017005
As long as your DL is valid (date and class of vehicle) there is no issue. Why contrive?. The cardinal principle of insurance is "utmost good faith"

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:10   #2312
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,510
Thanked: 2,955 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
1. What do I do to get insurance in my name with BA? Just RC, old Insurance with ICICI L, ID proof and vehicle is good enough?
2. The RC book shows Model as Santro XE. The model is actually XP and I think there is no model called XE. Is it compulsory for me to change the model in RC book, there is no original invoice and this was bought in 2003.
3. Can I get the insurance done 15 days in advance and the validity will start from the end of current insurance date?
1. First get the RC transferred to your name. Once done, then buy an Insurance from BA (either online/offline) since the insurance is to expire. The vehicle will be inspected by the BA guys before the insurance is approved. If needed then provide the car documents and old Insurance copy for reference.
2. Since the original invoice is not available, it will be difficult to get the model changed in the RC since the RC tranfer purely happens on the old RC details. if you can get a copy of first purchase invoice, then you can try at the RTO if they can still entertain you for the same.
3. Insurance needs to be taken well in time, in your case if you had the RC changed to your name readily available, buying a policy would not be difficult.

Hope this helps.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:59   #2313
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,809
Thanked: 406 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

A question for all.
Does it make sense to go for third party insurance for a six year old car.
The car in question is my Cedia with IDV of 4 lacs. The premium comes around 10-11K.
The spares are expensive at A.S.S. And since April, there is depreciation calculated on the painting costs as well.

Overall, I would be paying Rs. 1000 for claims + depreciation of around 40% on the overall amount.
So, now, should I be paying Rs. 10-11K and then still pay 40% of the damages later on?
S_U_N is offline  
Old 23rd November 2012, 13:22   #2314
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,510
Thanked: 2,955 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Does it make sense to go for third party insurance for a six year old car. The premium comes around 10-11K.

Overall, I would be paying Rs. 1000 for claims + depreciation of around 40% on the overall amount.
So, now, should I be paying Rs. 10-11K and then still pay 40% of the damages later on?
If I understood correctly the 10-11K premium is for Comprehensive Insurance, right? Does this not cover the TP liability too? Can you elaborate on what you mean by the last two sentences of your post, I find it confusing.
ghodlur is offline  
Old 26th November 2012, 17:09   #2315
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,809
Thanked: 406 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If I understood correctly the 10-11K premium is for Comprehensive Insurance, right? Does this not cover the TP liability too? Can you elaborate on what you mean by the last two sentences of your post, I find it confusing.
Well, my thoughts were in the context that after April 2012, depreciation is being charged on painting/ denting work as well.
With a 6 year old car, the depreciation is perhaps 40% (or 50%).
So, after paying Rs. 11000, during claim I need to pay Rs. 1000 (since it is a 2 lt. engine) and almost half of the charges on metal parts, painting, denting etc.
The plastic parts, rubber parts are anyway not covered.

Does it make sense to renew in this context?

Or is it better to just buy simple third party insurance (should not cost more than Rs. 2000 and save that balance of Rs. 11000 - Rs 2000 + Rs 1000 = Rs. 10000 for damages later on?

Just thinking.

Last edited by S_U_N : 26th November 2012 at 17:23.
S_U_N is offline  
Old 26th November 2012, 18:25   #2316
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,809
Thanked: 406 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Missed the 20 minute edit window. Mods' please merge with above post.

It is very interesting to note that Bajaj Allianz offers lower premium to new customers compared to their existing customers.

On the renewal application, if I pose myself as having a non-Bajaj policy, my premium is Rs. 1000 lesser than the premium when I select the option of renewal of a Bajaj policy.
The sales guy from their office says, we offer special discount for new customers.

So, this is just the opposite of a loyalty bonus.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 19:34   #2317
F50
Senior - BHPian
 
F50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai/USA
Posts: 1,708
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
A question for all.
Does it make sense to go for third party insurance for a six year old car.
The car in question is my Cedia with IDV of 4 lacs. The premium comes around 10-11K.
The spares are expensive at A.S.S. And since April, there is depreciation calculated on the painting costs as well.

Overall, I would be paying Rs. 1000 for claims + depreciation of around 40% on the overall amount.
So, now, should I be paying Rs. 10-11K and then still pay 40% of the damages later on?
Good thought!

What happens incase of:
1) Total Loss or 75% of the car is totaled
2) Theft
3) Fire

Premium 10k, peace of mind - worthless!
F50 is offline  
Old 27th November 2012, 13:37   #2318
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,809
Thanked: 406 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

^ There is always a trade-off.
The probability of the above three is very less compared to an accident with some parts to be repaired/ replaced.

In my case, I would have to bear 40% on metal parts, 40% on painting, 50% on plastic, rubber, fiber and 0% on glass.
Denting and labour charges would be borne by the insurance company.


Anyway, what I heard from TataAIG sales guy today was the compulsory deductible is Rs. 2000 (instead of Rs. 1000 earlier) for 1500 cc and above.
Has this been implemented from April 2012?

Meanwhile, the best quote for my car is Rs. 10400 for an IDV of around Rs. 350000.

This is a huge drop of IDV for me.

Somehow the TataAIG portal field validation does not work out well in any browser for me.
S_U_N is offline  
Old 28th November 2012, 06:36   #2319
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/NCR
Posts: 1,465
Thanked: 1,193 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul
Hello guys,
Insurance for my i20, with following details, is due for renewal on 24 th of this month.
Insurer: Bajaj Allianz (online renewal)
Model: Sportz
DOP: Nov 2010
IDV: 4,00,500/-
Ncb: 0 %(met with an accident last year.Total damage-70k. Insurance share-50k)
Insurance premium quote: 12,052/-

Had few queries in this regard:
1. Isn't the premium slightly on higher side?
2. Is it possible to further bargain on this quote?
3. Any advantages if I change the insurer now in terms of lower prenium?If yes what are my other options who have a tie up with Hyundai.( I know it might not be ethical on my part to change the insurer now after making a claim last year, but just checking the possibilities)

Above mentioned quote is for online renewal.
I have no idea how it is turning out to be 12k for 3rd year insurance. I paid 12040 for 2nd yr insurance for my i20 which included 0 depreciation but however, I had a NCB. IMO the quote is still very high.

Last edited by Pancham : 28th November 2012 at 06:37.
Pancham is offline  
Old 28th November 2012, 08:30   #2320
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,510
Thanked: 2,955 Times
Default Re: Insurance Renewal -- query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Had few queries in this regard:
1. Isn't the premium slightly on higher side?
2. Is it possible to further bargain on this quote?
3. Any advantages if I change the insurer now in terms of lower prenium?If yes what are my other options who have a tie up with Hyundai.( I know it might not be ethical on my part to change the insurer now after making a claim last year, but just checking the possibilities)
1. The premium looks slightly a bit on the higher side, can you provide what other quotes have you got?
2. None of the Insurers entertain any bargaining for online policies, the only option to reduce the premium is to opt for Voluntary payment.
3. Absolutely you can change to a different Insurer qoting lower premium, nobody can stop you. Just check out with Hyundai w/s for Insurers with whom they have a cashless settlement tie up and get a quote from those Insurers. Ditch the doubt of ethics, its your monely you are saving.
ghodlur is offline  
Old 28th November 2012, 12:13   #2321
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Insurance Renewal -- query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I have no idea how it is turning out to be 12k for 3rd year insurance. I paid 12040 for 2nd yr insurance for my i20 which included 0 depreciation but however, I had a NCB. IMO the quote is still very high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
1. The premium looks slightly a bit on the higher side, can you provide what other quotes have you got?
2. None of the Insurers entertain any bargaining for online policies, the only option to reduce the premium is to opt for Voluntary payment.
3. Absolutely you can change to a different Insurer qoting lower premium, nobody can stop you. Just check out with Hyundai w/s for Insurers with whom they have a cashless settlement tie up and get a quote from those Insurers. Ditch the doubt of ethics, its your monely you are saving.

Went ahead with Bajaj Allianz only.
Other reliable option,IMO was Tata Aig but Hyundai did not have cashless transaction with them.
Me-hul is offline  
Old 28th November 2012, 15:30   #2322
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 411
Thanked: 1,402 Times
Default Need Help with a Total Loss Scenario.

Hi
I owned a Verito D4, bought on 15 November 2011. I'd renewed the insurance, which is comprehensive not 0-dep., on 15 November 2012 and the value of the car as per New India Assurance was Rs. 4.79L something.
Now almost 10 days after on the night of 25th November, my brother somehow managed to skid the car off the road and into a rocks and trees almost 15 feet below the road level and Verito went almost 40 feet down hill further. No matter how bad the car handles it is definitely built strong and tough. My brother and his friend were not injured, only a few scratches on wrists and hands because of the broken glasses. I am attaching a few picks of the car after accident.
Now, M&M has given an estimate of around 8.33L to the insurance company. Surveyor till now hasn’t arrived to check the car. But it looks to me as a total loss case. Car has a significant under body damage, and if repaired I think it'll need a new body shell as every part on the outside has been damaged almost to the extent of no repair. And, still there is no report on the engine damage. Gear box and chamber are gone for sure. I haven't seen the estimate but will soon and update accordingly.
I need help in figuring out how much money would I get in case the car is written off. I want it written off honestly as the resale of Veritos is already pretty bad and after this I don’t think there would be any! I have read on T-bhp about how I can get the RC cancelled and claim for the remaining onetime tax which for this car was 33k for 15 years.
Confusion I have here is that it was a comprehensive insurance not a 0-dep. so will i still get the full value of 4.80L as stated by insurance company? or would there be any significant cuts and depreciations??
My father bought this car in a hurry after selling my beloved OHC and when we bought this car there were only two options were readily available - Verito and Manza, everything else was on booking, and out of these two only Verito was available in black. So out of two evils I kinda choose the Black one. I was in conversations with a party who was offering me 5L for this and i wanted 5.11L as i'd recently paid for the insurance and I knew that by now, if this accident wouldn’t have happened, I would have closed the deal. I wish I'd settled down for 5L now! but guess it’s too late.
So please please help me with this insurance thing, I have never ever dealt with these guys before. I would really appreciate any help offered.
thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-verito1.jpg  

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-v2.jpg  

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-v-3.jpg  

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-v-4.jpg  


Last edited by mobike008 : 30th November 2012 at 12:30. Reason: ONLY 2 Smileys per post.
wrongturn is offline  
Old 28th November 2012, 16:15   #2323
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,510
Thanked: 2,955 Times
Default Re: Need Help with a Total Loss Scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Hi
and the value of the car as per New India Assurance was Rs. 4.79L something.
Now, M&M has given an estimate of around 8.33L to the insurance company. Surveyor till now hasnít arrived to check the car. But it looks to me as a total loss case. Car has a significant under body damage, and if repaired I think it'll need a new body shell as every part on the outside has been damaged almost to the extent of no repair. And, still there is no report on the engine damage. Gear box and chamber are gone for sure. I haven't seen the estimate but will soon and update accordingly.
I need help in figuring out how much money would I get in case the car is written off.
Confusion I have here is that it was a comprehensive insurance not a 0-dep. so will i still get the full value of 4.80L as stated by insurance company? or would there be any significant cuts and depreciations??
Glad to know that your brother has come out of this accident without any major injuries. Can you share how did the car slide down from the road, was there any oil spill or something?

The M&M quote looks quite steep almost same as the new car cost, considering that the engine compartment (the bonnet) looks not so damaged. Can you share the quote details/breakup? Surprising that surveyor hasnt turned up even after 48 hrs of the accident. IMO even the underbody damage would not be that severe. Comprehensive or zero dep does not matter at all if the surveyor confirms that this a total loss in which case you are eligible to get the IDV as mentioned in the policy document. Now New India might act smart and come up with other options but suggest you to stick to your demand of the IDV amount. Anything less is a compromise, all this applicable if the car is declared a total loss.

PS: You have used 4 smilies in the post as against two as per forum rules, pls take care & report to mods to remove the unwanted.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 17:11   #2324
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 411
Thanked: 1,402 Times
Default Re: Need Help with a Total Loss Scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Can you share how did the car slide down from the road, was there any oil spill or something?
thanks for a prompt reply it was a sharp turn on a slope and he was trying to save a motorcycle, that's what i know. Yes there was, I assume more then 1 kind. I could see diesel as the tank is gone, engine oil and gear oil spill was evident. Engine oil was still leaking at the yard where car is right now. I checked the engine oil levels after accident and there was nothing on the oil dip used to measure oil level. The protection plate has cracked the aluminium chamber that is above it. Silencer has come off. Dont know weather gears are working. There were a lot of big rocks as you might see in the picture and the car came to a hault after breaking a tree that it is standing on in the pictures. And also you cant see the right hand side of the car in these picks it was in worst condition. Both the doors are jammed and there are not only dents but cracks and tears in the metal body. Chassis is bent it was quite obvious when one looked at the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The M&M quote looks quite steep almost same as the new car cost, considering that the engine compartment (the bonnet) looks not so damaged. Can you share the quote details/breakup? Surprising that surveyor hasnt turned up even after 48 hrs of the accident. IMO even the underbody damage would not be that severe. Comprehensive or zero dep does not matter at all if the surveyor confirms that this a total loss in which case you are eligible to get the IDV as mentioned in the policy document. Now New India might act smart and come up with other options but suggest you to stick to your demand of the IDV amount. Anything less is a compromise, all this applicable if the car is declared a total loss.
Sounds good that i would get the IDV amount. Parts are costlier for some reason, I know a chevy cruze whose repair estimate was 22L with engine still running. Was sold as scrap for 3.7L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
PS: You have used 4 smilies in the post as against two as per forum rules, pls take care & report to mods to remove the unwanted.
sorry, didnt know :|

Last edited by wrongturn : 28th November 2012 at 17:15.
wrongturn is offline  
Old 5th December 2012, 03:05   #2325
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 885
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Today I had a Accident at a signal junction at midnight with a Cab. Since no signal was there its difficult to prove whose mistake it is. My car bumper is completely damaged and windshield has developed cracks. I am yet to file FIR police there told me we can do in morning time.

Now the problem is just last week i brought the car from my company and has taken clearance certificate from RTO this Friday. And still I have not applied for registration in my name. So since car is not registered yet in my name Insurance is not transferred yet.

Please answer my query.

1) Will Insurance company reject my claim since Insurance is in Office name, Vehicle is declared as sold in RTO and RTO has given clearance certificated to register the car in another town in my name.
2) Should i file FIR in my name about the accident ?
3) Is there grace period for transfer of insurance after vehicle is sold?

Last edited by shamanth : 5th December 2012 at 03:07.
shamanth is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks