Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 14:09   #91
BHPian

Polo's sales are continously downward from March 2011 and in June 2011 alone, it has gone down 23% . Agreed, not a VFM car, but certainly a nice hatch and I feel it definitely deserves better sales. Well, the reason I can think of is the market being concerned about the A.$.$ of VW and only time will tell if VW can create a nice impression about it.

However, as a Polo owner, a happy thing to see is the car's presence among top 20 in YTD.

While the top 20 best sellers are crowded by hatchbacks and a few sedans, it is amazing to see an SUV - Innova in the category, still with consistent sales month after month. Great going by Toyota

Last edited by aah78 : 5th July 2011 at 03:11. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 4th July 2011, 14:41   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

The overall June sales are not really encouraging for an auto enthusiast like me.

A lot happening at Toyota India.
Why has Corolla Altis has lost ground in-spite of having a diesel mill.?
Etios at 5k, that's exciting.Cant wait for the diesel mill to come.
Liva seems promising as well.
Old 4th July 2011, 15:10   #93
BHPian

Just did a few charting of that Excel sheet and here are the results.

Name:  Petrol only.PNG
Views: 3270
Size:  30.8 KB
Name:  Petroldiesel.PNG
Views: 3289
Size:  32.0 KB
Name:  Diesel Only.PNG
Views: 3438
Size:  34.0 KB

Don't think anyone would need to understand what these charts are all about,
a) First one is petrol only (HB)
b) Second one is Petrol+diesel (HB)
c) Third is Diesel Only vehicles (There is no diesel only Hatch right now).

Looking at the above it is clear, the cars with diesels only are not doing any bad in this market, which tells me increase in interest rate has hardly anything to do with sales. Infact steadiness in diesel only cars is as good or better as compared to petrol+diesel car segment.

Petrol+diesel vehicles have some what or little affect of increase in petrol /diesel/ Interest rate. It is quite evident increase in fuel prices have just switched customers from petrol to diesels. Even Indica's sales have risen consistently .

Sample this (all petrol cars)
Car _______________Jan___________ June
Alto_______________ 33K___________23K
Beat_______________ 3.3K__________ 1.6K
i10 ________________17K__________ 11K
WagonR ___________ 14K ___________ 12K
Estilo ______________3.6K___________ 1.5K
A-Star_____________ 4 K___________ Less than thousand
Jazz ______________579_____________ 361

Almost all the cars who are reliant on only petrol engines are facing real tough time. Especially those small priced ones like alto/wagonr/i10/spark types who due to their low price point are less likely to get a diesel heart at all.

Petrol+diesel cars sales roughly remaining steady as compared to plain diesel cars. It suggest me that Quite a few Manufacturers might as well skip the Launch of Petrolhead cars totally in next few years launches. Since the peteol % in Petrol+diesel petrol sales may just be around 20%-25% it may not even justify manufacturere efforts in designing/engineering and funding such projects which may just become futile exercise of achieving a low launch price point.

Right now it is just happening in MPV/C/D segment cars but soon it might start happening even in HB/Entry NB car segment (Lates example being cruze which was rumoured to have a petrol launch in india which never happened)

Really disurbing trend to me.

Last edited by anu21v : 4th July 2011 at 15:19.
anu21v is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 21:37   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Comparison Charts

Here are the various comparison charts segment wise. Thanks Smart cat, ACM & vb-san for some nice words & tips!

There could be some edits in the next months charts according to the tips / suggestions making sure the cars in each segment are more relevant to its positioning with respect to the competition, if not already.

1. Low cost people mover:

June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-a_seg.jpg

2. B Segment Hatchbacks:

June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-b_seg.jpg

3. B+ Segment Hatchbacks:

June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-b_seg.jpg

4. Premium Hatchbacks:

June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-prem_hb.jpg

5. Entry level sedans [5L onwards]:

June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-entry_sedan.jpg

6. Utility Vehicles [UVs]:

June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-uvs.jpg

7. Entry level C segment sedans [7L onwards]:

June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-c_seg.jpg

8. MPVs:

June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-mpv.jpg

9. SUVs:

June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-suv.jpg

10. Luxury C Segment:

June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-lux_c.jpg
swiftnfurious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 21:41   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Comparison Chart contd...

Continuing the rest of the charts in the new post because of 10 picture in single post restriction.

11. Luxury D segment:

June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-lux_c.jpg

And finally my favourite
!

12. Luxury Cross overs / SUVs [15L - 30L]:

June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-lux_suv.jpg

Feedbacks / suggestions are welcome on PMs [so that we dont dilute the thread discussions]. I know I have skipped the posh cars comparo from this [30L + cars]. Let me know if you are looking for that. When you mention the cars, please let me know the prices of those so that I can group such cars similar. I am not so sure of VW / Volvo high end car prices as of now.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th July 2011 at 21:48.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 21:54   #96
BHPian

I have an unrelated observation to make. I thought when the going is difficult, the manufacturers would try to sweeten deals by offering additional discounts in July.

Sadly, Ford, Mahindra & Honda are not doing that for July. Are they thinking that discounts would not incentivise people to take the decision on purchase?
Old 4th July 2011, 21:59   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
Sadly, Ford, Mahindra & Honda are not doing that for July. Are they thinking that discounts would not incentivise people to take the decision on purchase?
To answer your question,

1. June has had a relatively lower sales for almost every car manufacturer. So this is not a good reason for anyone to offer discounts since the market trend is the same for all manufacturers [almost all if not all]

2. Honda gave a huge price cut and it reflects positively in their sales numbers. So why would they offer additional discount?

3. Why do you think M&M and Ford need to give discounts? Which of their models had drastic low sales comparatively [in case I missed to notice] ?
Old 4th July 2011, 22:10   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
To answer your question,

1. June has had a relatively lower sales for almost every car manufacturer. So this is not a good reason for anyone to offer discounts since the market trend is the same for all manufacturers [almost all if not all]

2. Honda gave a huge price cut and it reflects positively in their sales numbers. So why would they offer additional discount?

3. Why do you think M&M and Ford need to give discounts? Which of their models had drastic low sales comparatively [in case I missed to notice] ?
@swift - Thanks for your response. May be I'm getting a bit greedy.
1) ANHC OTR prices in Delhi were lower post dealer discounts before the price cut. The price cut in this case was more a marketing gimmick, in my view. It surely seems to have worked and therefore , no additional incentivisation to the customer?
2) In the case of Ford Fiesta, again, the OTR prices of the old Fiesta versions were lower than Fiesta Classic. The sales have not increased... Is that reason to offer more discounts?? I don't know.
Old 4th July 2011, 22:14   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
May be I'm getting a bit greedy.
Most of us are, so you have company !

Quote:
1) ANHC OTR prices in Delhi were lower post dealer discounts before the price cut. The price cut in this case was more a marketing gimmick, in my view. It surely seems to have worked and therefore , no additional incentivisation to the customer?

2) In the case of Ford Fiesta, again, the OTR prices of the old Fiesta versions were lower than Fiesta Classic. The sales have not increased... Is that reason to offer more discounts?? I don't know.
So in case of Honda, if the sales didn't pick up after the price cut, they might have added some discounts, though not immediately. Any one would wait for a while to check the impact of the steps taken.

Are you sure about Fiesta? Because I thought there is a good price cut for versions other than SXi. Since the new Fiesta is on offer, I dont think they will give any more discounts as of now. The best time to expect for disocunts now is at Diwali, that too if the sales don't pick for these cars.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 22:24   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Are you sure about Fiesta? Because I thought there is a good price cut for versions other than SXi. Since the new Fiesta is on offer, I dont think they will give any more discounts as of now. The best time to expect for disocunts now is at Diwali, that too if the sales don't pick for these cars.
Delhi Ford was offering dealer discounts in May that effectively reduced the exi prices to less than the current petrol 1.6 CLXI classic model. Regret not having made the decision earlier
Old 4th July 2011, 22:49   #101
BHPian

- Interesting to see Etios bucking the "petrol-only cars reducing sales" trend

- How many more months / years before the following happens?
* Fiat decides to go alone in India and break away from the Tata shadow?
* HM files for bankruptcy and gets referred to BIFR?

- Thumbs-up to Verito for 1500+ numbers, no mean achievement

- Hyundai has really understood the Indian market - though this is a initial hype for the ANHV, I am sure sales would stabilise to 3200-3500 figure. Thumbs-up again!
* Ford better get their pricing right (after the long drawn launch date)

- No sales push for Beat v/s big campaign for Spark, the results start to show

- Tavera still selling 1700+ numbers, just in BSIII form, shows the potential for people-movers in here

- If a company with the reach of Tata cannot sell the Nano, who else can? Really sad for this wonderful little car
Old 5th July 2011, 09:43   #102
BHPian

@Swiftnfurious. your categorization of cars on prices are not correct in my opinion.
Especially the B+ and premium hatchbacks categorisation(The punto and Swift are premium hatchbacks if you really look at the prices. Swift because swift vdi abs is quite expensive(it is not fully loaded also) and still it sells in huge numbers proving that the people are prepared to pay a premium for that car).
Also the entry level sedans (from 5 lakhs-exfactory most of the cars there start below 5 lakh. the exception being fiesta which starts around 5.5 even after the price cut).
The 7 lakhs segment is again incorrect because atleast for the linea and SX4 the prices start much below 7 lakhs especially if you consider the dealer discounts.

is there a way we can get the petrol/diesel breakup for all the cars. Just want to see by how much the skew towards diesel has changed.
Old 5th July 2011, 09:50   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
HM-Mitsubishi

Ambassador : 250 (approx)

Have always wondered as to why does HM put an approx near the Ambassador's figure.

I believe I have seen this trend continuing. Why?
Old 5th July 2011, 10:07   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Have always wondered as to why does HM put an approx near the Ambassador's figure.

I believe I have seen this trend continuing. Why?

haha, interesting question. I believe that their sales are based on bulk orders and some get dropped on the way. So, the figures improve marginally if they supply " ordered cars" figure rather than " delivered cars". Very few book the Amby and even fewer cancel it, hence both the figures are likely to be almost the same.

Last edited by adg_andy : 5th July 2011 at 10:07. Reason: spell check
Old 5th July 2011, 11:07   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess the reasons for the downfall in sales for most manufacturers are probably due to

1) Rising fuel prices and interest rates
2) Over production in anticipation of excess demand, now the stock corrects happening
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks