Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 23:20   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
Quality review takes time! In the end wait will be worth it
Sure it does, but my point is that reviews have been out in other sites/TV shows for atleast a week now. No review yet on Team-BHP - it surely means that Team-BHP wasn't among the first to be invited for a TD. Why? I don't even know if any of the mods have TD'd the Swift yet.
Old 17th August 2011, 23:20   #887
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
OMG!!! Where is the boot in this car? More swift doesnt have more boot space? Think the strategy is to make this car drive only in the city and not to take them off to the highway.
Boot space is very much required in the city use too, my friend. While my family and I go grocery shopping that we do every month, the close to 300 lts of my Fabia's boot gets filled up.

Not very long ago, I helped a friend buy and bring an 40" LED TV and a pioneer home theatre system back to his house, in my car's boot. He thanked me since transporting them safely was his main concern and he said that surely he couldn't have achieved this in his car's boot. He has a swift.

200-215 boot space in Swift is a big downer for it. Like Akilesh has said, this might be the only car some families will have, and they will find it hard to manage with a very small boot, city use or highway notwithstanding..
k_ajay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 23:35   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Boot space is very much required in the city use too, my friend. While my family and I go grocery shopping that we do every month, the close to 300 lts of my Fabia's boot gets filled up.

Not very long ago, I helped a friend buy and bring an 40" LED TV and a pioneer home theatre system back to his house, in my car's boot. He thanked me since transporting them safely was his main concern and he said that surely he couldn't have achieved this in his car's boot. He has a swift.

200-215 boot space in Swift is a big downer for it. Like Akilesh has said, this might be the only car some families will have, and they will find it hard to manage with a very small boot, city use or highway notwithstanding..
Bingo.

204 litres is not acceptable for a car being positioned as a premium hatchback.
Some comparison -
Polo/Figo/Punto/I20/Fabia - all offer respectable boot space of around 280-300 litres. Jazz has all of 384 ltrs. Forget it, my Santro has 215 litrs. And that too, no split seats. What were the guys at MS thinking? Do we know if the rear seat folds completely flat?
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 23:42   #889
BHPian

Even though the length of the Car has been increased, the Boot space has been reduced. More space has been given for the Front end (Engine Compartment) and few mm for the rear seat passengers.

I don't understand, Why Tachometer is a Luxury as per MSIL. It should've been a standard equipment on all models.
Old 17th August 2011, 23:42   #890
BHPian

Yup, Boot space is too less, MSIL are taking the Competation for granted. In the past it has worked for MSIL considering all other factors few MSIL cars have burnt the sales charts. Will it work again?? We will have to wait and see.

The RITZ has about 250 Litres plus 60: 40 rear seat spilt option.

MSIL could have priced the car another 1.5k more but should have taken care and put the 60:40 rear seat spilt option which is there on the global swift. This would have made their job easier to retain the leader postion of the swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Even though the length of the Car has been increased, the Boot space has been reduced. More space has been given for the Front end (Engine Compartment) and few mm for the rear seat passengers.

I don't understand, Why Tachometer is a Luxury as per MSIL. It should've been a standard equipment on all models.
Many customers will buy the LDI version if the tachometer is fitted on that car. The sales of the VDI and VXI will drop where MSIL has higher margins.

We cant even imagine the number of white and silver swifts we will see on the roads if the tachometer is fitted on Swift LDI version.
Both white and silver look good with the black door handles and black mirrors. So people wont bother about the other features on the V Variants, they fit them later. The price difference between L and V variants is huge.

If we look at it from margin perspective, this is clever game MSIL is playing to ensure higher sales of V variants. The tachometer will hardly cost 1k per car for MSIL to fit it on the car on Bulk basis.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th August 2011 at 05:30. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Edit buttin if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 17th August 2011, 23:55   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Bingo.

And that too, no split seats. What were the guys at MS thinking? Do we know if the rear seat folds completely flat?
The rear seatback folds down, but whether it folds completely flat, I'm unsure. Quite doubtful, looking at some of the images floating on the internet.

Jazz has the largest buoot space amongst hatchbacks..
Old 18th August 2011, 00:20   #892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Same happened to the new Wagonr also. The old model had a very good boot space but the new one despite being bigger in size has a reduced boot space when compared to the old model.
Old 18th August 2011, 00:20   #893
Senior - BHPian

Anybody has information from Bangalore dealers on pricing?
Old 18th August 2011, 00:31   #894
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
ODMAG reports that the price of ZXi has been increased by a 17K where as LDi gets a 25K increase & VDi gets 33K increase.
Clearly, Maruti wants to promote the Petrol variants over Diesel buy raising the price of the Diesel variants way higher than Petrol variants. It may back-fire them, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Same happened to the new Wagonr also. The old model had a very good boot space but the new one despite being bigger in size has a reduced boot space when compared to the old model.
Despite that, the sales of new WagonR is increased when compared to the old one!

BTW, there are a lot of similarities between the WR upgrade and Swift upgrade:

1. New WR and Swift are more fuel efficient than old ones.
2. Have more rear legroom.
3. Have better looks, IMO.
4. Interiors looks and feels way better than old models.
5. Boot is smaller compared to old ones.

Quote:
What were the guys at MS thinking?
If everything is thrown into this new model, then where's the space for the next gen Swift, which may be launched after 5-6 years? Now they can make that model much longer at around 3990mm, give a bootspace of 300Ltrs, and tachometer etc as standard in base variants...

On a serious note, IMO, Maruti doesn't want to make the Swift as an all-purpose vehicle. Instead, they want to project it as a premium city / highway hatch where passenger comfort is given maximum care. For better all-purpose usage compared to Swift, Ritz is already there. If you need much much more than that, by taking care of whole of your luggage along with you, RIII is coming!

Quote:
Do we know if the rear seat folds completely flat?
Not completely flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Sure it does, but my point is that reviews have been out in other sites/TV shows for atleast a week now. No review yet on Team-BHP - it surely means that Team-BHP wasn't among the first to be invited for a TD. Why? I don't even know if any of the mods have TD'd the Swift yet.
IMO, there was a conspiracy at Maruti against Team-BHP, and that is why mods were devoid of any test drive. They may be waiting for the cars to arrive at dealers!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 18th August 2011 at 00:57.
Old 18th August 2011, 00:57   #895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
If everything is thrown into this new model, then where's the space for the next gen Swift, which may be launched after 5-6 years? Now they can make that model much longer at around 3990mm, give a bootspace of 300Ltrs, and tachometer etc as standard in base variants...
May be the reduced boot space is to promote New Dzire(<4m) which will have a better boot space than Swift.
Old 18th August 2011, 01:12   #896
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
May be the reduced boot space is to promote New Dzire(<4m) which will have a better boot space than Swift.
Yes, may be.

Also, New Dzire will have a boot space just around 300 Ltrs. (The current DZire with that big 450Ltrs of boot space will be a history soon.) If Swift also offer a boot space of around 300 Ltrs, then the USP of New DZire will be gone! That may be the reason why Swift comes with reduced boot space.

Another reason: Maruti has almost nothing to do with boot space or leg space because international Suzuki is designing these cars, and Maruti just launches it here with minor tweaks here and there. They can't do anything more on these models, but come new DZire / RIII, it's Maruti's work, so let's wait.
Old 18th August 2011, 06:21   #897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun
Despite that, the sales of new WagonR is increased when compared to the old one!

BTW, there are a lot of similarities between the WR upgrade and Swift upgrade:

1. New WR and Swift are more fuel efficient than old ones.
2. Have more rear legroom.
3. Have better looks, IMO.
4. Interiors looks and feels way better than old models.
5. Boot is smaller compared to old ones.
One crucial difference though! The New WagonR sports 60:40 split seats across all variants, even for the entry level LX!

I prefer a larger cabin to a bigger boot. If it is at the expense of some boot space, then so be it. So I appreciate the thinking behind the new Maruti models like the WR, Ritz etc. which gave more preference to cabin space, but both of them have split seats on all variants.

And having foldable rear split seats is very convenient, especially when the boot is this small. Split seats are very easy to fold down when compared to a single seat and takes only one hand to do it. A real boon when carrying something. And then there is the added flexibility to carry luggage/ passengers.

Too bad that Maruti chose to omit split seats in the new Swift. It was needed across all variants.

Last edited by deetjohn : 18th August 2011 at 06:30. Reason: Rephrasing
Old 18th August 2011, 07:33   #898
BHPian

The blue car in the pic, is it an Lxi /Ldi ? I don't see a fuel consumption meter in the mid.
Old 18th August 2011, 08:27   #899
Senior - BHPian

Do you guys know the exact OTR price of the new swift Zdi in chennai??

6,48l E-SR will probably come to 7.2-7.3l which i think is 50k more than the i20 top end which comes to 6.82l when i test drove last week. not sure.

I am really appalled but this stiff price increase for diesel cars. You can never get a small car under 6 lakhs nowadays !!;:(
Old 18th August 2011, 08:30   #900
BHPian

Does anyone have interior photos of vdi/vxi. Just want to know how the manual a/c and dash without the stereo look.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed