Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 15:43   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
.....I remember having seen a French car with this kinda quirky hatch.
The French car that you are talking about is the Renault Megane. However, the ANSS is nowhere as ugly as that. In addition, of course looks are subjective, but when I saw the ANSS today in the flesh, everything looked as good as in the pictures and then some more. Awesome interiors. And really high quality. The old one, of which I was a fan right from the beginning, now looks really spartan in comparison.
Old 19th August 2011, 16:08   #1007
BANNED

Re: MSIL discontinues old swift, begins production for all new model for August launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The French car that you are talking about is the Renault Megane.
Thanks for the name. I was wanting to know the name of this car for quite some time. Why you may ask? Perhaps the new Swift Dzire under 4 m would look like this. What do you say?
Old 19th August 2011, 16:21   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Drove the ZXi & ZDi for some 15mins back to back. A few bits.
  1. The suspension is much much better. The car is very composed over broken patches and much more stable at higher speeds. It doesn't crash into potholes like the old Swift. The ride is much better.
  2. Drove the petrol first. It is very quiet at idle and really free revving. And the engine comes into its own after 4K with a nice snarl. The acceleration is very good at the Top end. I am in love with the K12M VVT.
  3. The ZDi was next. I have been driving the old LDi till about 5 months ago. I found the engine to be not so smooth compared to my old LDi which had done 80K+. Yes, there is lag and the burst after 2K is not so strong. Maybe, because the new car is not so skittish and the cabin is very quiet. And maybe, because I drove that amazing petrol first. To be fair, the Demo car had only 130KM on the Odo. Its a Diesel engine and it can get only better as the miles go by.
  4. The New Swift has presence from the rear i.e. It looks and feels big especially with the tail lights pushed far out. The wiper from the old ZXi made of low quality plastic looks out of place.
  5. The interior looks and feels nice. I love the theme and the new cup holder. The fit and finish of the plastic bits are good. A very nice cabin to be in. Though, too early to tell whether it will rattle. The cabin is very quiet compared to the old car.
  6. Also, the front seats are just great. There is seat belt height adjustment for both driver and passenger and it is very easy to attain the perfect driving position due to the seat height and steering rake adjustment. The front seat hugs you and compared to the it, the rear bench feels very flat and too upright.
  7. The car looks a bit awkward from the side due to the raised height and 15" alloys. The wheel wells look hollow. Maybe I have been looking at the photos and videos of the European Swift for a long time.
  8. The boot is very small and there is a fifth alloy.
  9. The VDi is there on display at Pratham, ORR, BLR. The dash without the climate control and ICE looks really empty.
  10. The Audio is above average with nice thump!
I was so sure that the DDiS will be my choice if I am getting the new Swift. Now though, I am not so sure. I get to save a lakh and have fun too. The Diesel is very fast, no doubt, but it feels strained compared to the petrol. I am going to need a few more longer TDs.
Thanks for the update. I am surprised that the VVT felt more fun to drive than the DDiS. Is it only due to free revving nature of the VVT or has Maruti tuned the DDiS so differently just to achieve more FE? Was the lag below 2K rpm really annoying and how good is the surge post 2K rpm? Since you already drive a LDi, you could elaborate better.

Interesting to note that both front seats get the seat height adjustment.

Reading about the boot space or the lack of it is a real dampener.
Old 19th August 2011, 16:23   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Thanks for the name. I was wanting to know the name of this car for quite some time. Why you may ask? Perhaps the new Swift Dzire under 4 m would look like this. What do you say?
Youre welcome

Quite possible that this may be so. In fact, today when I went to check out the Swift, one particular customer was asking the sales rep about thhe possibility of the new Dezire based on the ANSS. The sales rep stated that that would take at least 4-5 months, if not more, and that there is no news from MSIL on the launch of the new Dezire.
But, given the fact that the current Dezire is looks wise not great, it is very likely that the new one would look just as quirky.
Old 19th August 2011, 16:32   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Absolutely rubbish. No one can buy a tyre in 300-400 Rs whether it is MUL or anybody. People working in Tyre making companies on this forum can support or refute this point.
When I got my Swift VXi, I had issues with one of my OEM tyre (JK) and had to be replaced and it was done through the dealer (I had to pay for it). I had a chance to meet a MUL representative there and this was mentioned by him.

This was during 2006, which I quoted as an example to show the price difference. There is always a significant difference in pricing for OEM equipment bought by a manufacturer as they buy in huge bulks.
Old 19th August 2011, 17:52   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict
Thanks for the update. I am surprised that the VVT felt more fun to drive than the DDiS. Is it only due to free revving nature of the VVT or has Maruti tuned the DDiS so differently just to achieve more FE? Was the lag below 2K rpm really annoying and how good is the surge post 2K rpm? Since you already drive a LDi, you could elaborate better.

Reading about the boot space or the lack of it is a real dampener.
You are welcome fuel_addict. The lag below 2K rpm is like in the old Swift, just that you will not get carried away by the surge post it. If you have driven the DDiS with a dirty air filter or on bad quality fuel, you'll feel that the engine is a bit strained. The ZDi felt like that today. Maruti may have tuned the engine for FE. I don't know. And I may have made a mistake of driving the VVT first. And add in the fact that it is a brand new engine. So all these factors coming together may have made it not so good for me today. I will try for a longer TD next week.

But the VVT is an absolute blast to drive. I really enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict
No, seat height adjustment only for driver in the Z variant. I was talking about the selt belt height adjustment on the B pillar for both sides.

Last edited by deetjohn : 19th August 2011 at 17:57. Reason: Rephrasing
Old 19th August 2011, 18:47   #1012
BHPian

[quote=shashank.nk;2472818]I had booked the ZDI thinking it would be around 60 to 70k more than the Figo titanium, but a 1 lakh difference makes me think again.

This car will basically be a second-car at home, and as such wont really hit 1lakh plus kms even if i keep it for 5-7yrs. Its meant for the city,car so very rarely will i have passengers at the rear to make me miss the power windows.

@Shashank Ji- I had my mind fixed the same way,if the Zdi was 50 to 60 K more than the Titanium I would hav gone for the Zdi. I actually waited a month just to know the prices of the new swift and finally booked the Figo Titanium yesterday. Thanks to Maruti pricing now I will have to wait another month till I get the car. (2 months lost and not having a car just to know that the Swift isn't a common mans dream any more".
Old 19th August 2011, 19:08   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How about below reasons?
  • Rear Power Windows.
  • Automatic climate control
  • Tilt Steering
  • MID
  • Alloy Wheels
  • ORVM indicators
  • USB Connectivity
  • Steering Mounted Audio Controls.
  • Seat belt pretensioner + Adjuster.
  • + 2 tweeters.
Not to mention-
  • Its a new generation International product, and not an old generation dumped in India.
  • Better engines (1.2 VVT + 1.3 DDiS).
  • Better fun to drive. (Based on old swift, where new one is said to be even better).
  • Looks a segment size bigger than Figo.
What Figo titanium has over Swift ZDi-
  • More boot space.
  • Bluetooth connectivity.
Please add if i missed anything both sides.

Figo doesn't offer alloys on any version!
Dear Crazy Driver,
First of all,the Swift pits head on with Figo,Ritz,i10,etc and not with Polo,i20,Jazz,Fabia. So it is purely wrong for Maruti to portray and slot the product in a false competition and demand buyers unfair price hike simply because they feel that their car has now gone to another league. Its is the buyer and the market that decide which product competes with another product.

Secondly,I think everyone comparing the ZDI to Titanium seems to be unfair after the price determination. The Vdi in my town costs 10K more than the Titanium. Now how would this comparison be justifiable. For 10K less you would get :
-ABS & EBD
-Dual Airbags
-Music System with Bluetooth (USB can be added at a additional cost via cable)
-More interior space
-More Boot Space

I think the sorely missed features in the Figo are the rear power windows and tilt steering. But that is acceptable for someone who is looking for a complete VFM package.
Old 19th August 2011, 19:18   #1014
BHPian

There has been a longtime nation wide dilemma which says,the "SWIFT is for the younger people who just want a good looking sporty hatch".

I am a fan too of the swift and somehow wanted to own one. But at the end of the day when u sit and think and ultimately monetary comparisons are put ahead of all other factors,you are forced to make a choice. A family man who is more composed and knows his priorities will compromise.

So it is not my fault that Maruti has priced the Swift beyond my buying capability and neither is it Maruti's fault for not being able to give the product that people like me want. Went ahead and booked the Figo Titanium.
Old 19th August 2011, 19:18   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
You are welcome fuel_addict. The lag below 2K rpm is like in the old Swift, just that you will not get carried away by the surge post it. If you have driven the DDiS with a dirty air filter or on bad quality fuel, you'll feel that the engine is a bit strained. The ZDi felt like that today. Maruti may have tuned the engine for FE. I don't know. And I may have made a mistake of driving the VVT first. And add in the fact that it is a brand new engine. So all these factors coming together may have made it not so good for me today. I will try for a longer TD next week.

But the VVT is an absolute blast to drive. I really enjoyed it.
Hey deetjohn,

Your observation seems to be inline with what the autocar review on Bloomberg UTV. Take a look @ the youtube

Keep us posted on how you find the DDiS car in your longish test drive.

- Abhi
Old 19th August 2011, 20:09   #1016
BHPian

Checked out the swift Zdi some time back. initial Observations:

car looks bigger than before. Looks wise I think the new swift is much better.

Interiors: Simply awesome. significant improvement over the previous version. The steering feels superb. The steering mounted audio controls feel great. However there are some bad bits like the power window switches.

Seats feel real comfy especially in the front.

Overall cabin looks very nice, except that it is a little gloomy due to the dark interiors.

Rear seat space has improved though not significant. My head was touching the roof.

Boot space as everyone mentioned is less. Added to that the loading lip being raised elevates the problem.

Overall significant improvement. Could not take a test drive though
Old 19th August 2011, 20:21   #1017
BHPian

Had been to pratham motors to see the car and have the same opinion as others
Those who are checking the car at pratham check the kizhashi next to the swift.
Steering and center console looks exactly same but feel the difference in quality of an imported car.
Sterio in swift is Nippon.
Could have been better if leather wrapped steering in kizhashi was present in swift.
Old 19th August 2011, 21:19   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post

@Shashank Ji- I had my mind fixed the same way,if the Zdi was 50 to 60 K more than the Titanium I would hav gone for the Zdi. I actually waited a month just to know the prices of the new swift and finally booked the Figo Titanium yesterday. Thanks to Maruti pricing now I will have to wait another month till I get the car. (2 months lost and not having a car just to know that the Swift isn't a common mans dream any more".
I think many customers down south, who would've opted for the ZDI will have second thoughts about the purchase as the OTR in most cities is 7.5l plus. In my opinion OTR of 7.5 l in bangalore would've been perfect

OT: I have personally half-decided to go for the Jazz as we already have a diesel in our garage and even the base version at 6.76 is a very good price for a Honda. Still waiting for a TD of both cars and offcourse the team-bhp review.
Old 19th August 2011, 21:56   #1019
Senior - BHPian

I personally feel that we are still seeing swift to be one segment lower than polo/i20/fabia etc as a result of which we perceive it to be overpriced, Just because the previous variant was placed one segment lower, doesnt mean the new one has to be placed in the same league too.

Give me some justification why it cannot be considered in the same "premium" hatchback segment as the below mentioned cars are.

I feel the new swift has definitely moved one notch up - this is being confirmed by the initial reviews that are coming in, then why not treat it as a competition to the i20's/polo's and the fabia's? I would say, the new swift is in the same segment as these cars are and definitely comparable.

Quote:
First of all,the Swift pits head on with Figo,Ritz,i10,etc and not with Polo,i20,Jazz,Fabia. So it is purely wrong for Maruti to portray and slot the product in a false competition and demand buyers unfair price hike simply because they feel that their car has now gone to another league.

Last edited by bala80 : 19th August 2011 at 21:57.
Old 19th August 2011, 22:07   #1020
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dear Crazy Driver,
First of all,the Swift pits head on with Figo,Ritz,i10,etc and not with Polo,i20,Jazz,Fabia.
Dear kar.carthik,

Why cant the Swift compete with Polo/ Skoda Fabia? Just because Skoda/ Volkswagen have gone and overpriced their products doesnt make them a segment higher. Remember, Polo was launched to dethrone the Swift, with an entry level price tag of 4.35L.

Take a look at below comparison.
  • Dimensions- Similar. Including interior space.
  • Engines- Much better in Swift.
  • Features- Better in Swift.

As for the buyer and the market, they havent treated Polo/ Fabia in the same league as Jazz/ i20 and the same shows in the sales figures as well. (Quick list compiled now. Please add if anything is wrong/ missed). Swift still offers great value compared to Polo, and it will delight the enthusiast as well, something the 3cylinder duo cannot manage. (1.6 highline is significantly higher priced than Swift ZXi).
MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!-swiftpolo.jpg

I agree with your comments on i20/ Jazz though! Jazz would be my overall pick for a petrol premium hatch, and Swift for an enthusiast's premium hatch.
Quote:
Went ahead and booked the Figo Titanium.
Congratulations!

EDIT: Got the colours mixed up in case of length and breath figures.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th August 2011 at 22:20.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks