Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2006, 22:15   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod
Interesting topic ... well here in France, the police are always roaming around in the city and in the highways the highway patrol arrive 15mins after any incident on the highway. The paramedics are part of the police/highway patrol and offer assistance incase of accidents. I think this is a very good idea which should be implemented in India as well.
In India, helping out the accident victims means that the police interrogate u as well and u get entangled in the whole incident. Hence, many ppl tend to stay away from such cases. but if faced with such a situation, I would sure try to help !
Western Europe + US -> Value each & every human life..

I bad accident, a freak incident -> sparks off a Media debate, changes in Regulations.

3rd World countries can't afford such "luxuries" -> if i may say so - govt doesnt have so much money

Till that time..I guess just faith & good Samaritanism would be the only option
Old 15th February 2006, 22:35   #17
BHPian

dceite , u stole the words from my mouth, this thought had been playing on my mind for quite some time but could not put it down here, i mean start a thread.

but i sincerely feel that you should listen to your conscience, it always helps. it will start pricking if you dont help, so it is better to leave the thoughts of what will happen to my car, or my seat and just do what you think is right for that moment.

if the injuries are serious enough to break the bones or something then it is better not the touch the victim as it may aggravate the situation, but you should keep on calling for the police or the ambulance as they take tad time to come the the spot. so keep on calling them repeatedly till they turn up.

shubbhi
Old 15th February 2006, 22:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45
if the injuries are serious enough to break the bones or something then it is better not the touch the victim as it may aggravate the situation, but you should keep on calling for the police or the ambulance as they take tad time to come the the spot. so keep on calling them repeatedly till they turn up.

shubbhi
I have heard that in some cases it is necessary to stabilise victime first before rushing to pull him out. May people related in medical field can tell us correctly ?
Old 15th February 2006, 23:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is necessary to stabilise victime first before rushing to pull him out.
This is exactly where the problem lies. Most of the ambulances do not have para medics on board. All that they do it pick up the victim and take him to the hospital. Only God knows how many victims condition has gotten aggravated due to the unprofessional manner in which they were transported to the hospital. The bigger problem is everyone, government, medical fraternity, MSRDC, PWD etc etc are totally ignorant or are delibrately ignoring this fact.

As for the question in the thread, I think all of us should only stop to help if there is a mob already collected on the spot. That way if you want to help, no one will blame you for causing the accident!
Old 15th February 2006, 23:34   #20
BHPian

Well I have already stopped 2-3 times and will stop in future if I see a accident happen in front of my eyes.. But then again there was a time when I had been to a friends farm house party and was returning back late nite.. I saw a biker on a bullet lying down... First i thot that I shud stop.. So i did then all of a sudden i hear a few whispers and a some noise... Realising that this is something else i literally slammed on the gas and left... Well dunno whether it was a setup or no but didnt wanna get myself into a situation.. But then if the accident happens in front of my eyes no matter what time it is .. I will stop to help.. I am not too worried about cases getting slammed on me as even if they do i can deny it askin for any damage proof on my car and then offcourse.. People high up are always there for such kinda situations...

Cheers
Old 16th February 2006, 00:52   #21
lancer_mania

My Answer... a BIG NO.a while back i was driving home from a party late one night and i saw a whitish figure rolling on the road.so i slowed down and to my astonishment it was a slightly elderly man groaning in pain.i got out of the car and asked him what happened when he said a car knocked him over while he was crossing.took him in the car to him to bombay hospital.he said he didnt have any way to contact his family so got him admitted into a hospital.unfortunately i had to go through the hassel of police questioning and checked out my car totally because if i had knocked him down there would have been a little damage atleast.had to go to the cop station and after a lot of questioning i retuned home at 7 45.

all that for what ??

Old 16th February 2006, 03:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1
Western Europe + US -> Value each & every human life..

I bad accident, a freak incident -> sparks off a Media debate, changes in Regulations.

3rd World countries can't afford such "luxuries" -> if i may say so - govt doesnt have so much money

Till that time..I guess just faith & good Samaritanism would be the only option

There have been situations in which the police also just come, see the accident and just walk away without offering much help. Believe me this has happened quiet a few times.
Old 16th February 2006, 11:10   #23
BHPian

If i witness the accident myself i would help in atleast getting the person to the hospital. Otherwise, i would just call 101 and 100 inform the case and move on.

You never know, there are many conmen out there looting unsuspecting samaritans. I mean who would want to step out to help others and turn into a victim himself.

Also, if i am travelling with my family.. I would not pick up an accident victim, at the risk of leaving my family at the accident spot.. In such a case, i would just call 100 and 101 and inform the authorities about the incident and leave the spot.
Old 16th February 2006, 11:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

No. I would not .

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45
but i sincerely feel that you should listen to your conscience, it always helps. it will start pricking if you dont help, so it is better to leave the thoughts of what will happen to my car, or my seat and just do what you think is right for that moment.
Manaa - between making my consience or the mob , understand - i would choose to make my consience understand. Simple. These days u never know what kind of people u run into in a mob. if its some one i know - i would stop , else Forget it !
Old 16th February 2006, 11:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

earlier i might not have stopped to help ...but after being in a similar situtation where others have helped me ...i will stop if i happen to come across anything like that ....

forget people lying on teh road ...how many of us have stopped to pick up a bigg stone lying on the road ,or a big concrete piece of the divider lying on the fast lane ....i thinking doing that also will help in saving accidents ...
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2006, 11:47   #26
Team-BHP Support

As mentioned on another thread, we did have this decision to make once. We saw the guy lying on the road with blood dripping from his head. We hesitated. stopped on the side. hesitated some more. then went ahead and took him in our car to the closest hospital. The hospital admitted him without any questions. we told them where we picked him up from and left. no problems.

however, in India, you have to be very careful before stopping to help. You have to judge the situation and decide whether it is a safe locality to offer assistance or not.
Old 16th February 2006, 11:50   #27
Team-BHP Support

I used to stop and help till I was one almost lynched for helping a person in Worli - Mumbai.
Old 16th February 2006, 12:21   #28
BHPian

A slight divergence from the actual query posed:

Are we sufficiently trained to handle the accident victims? I mean, how many of us are trained in first-aid ...etc? Wouldnt it be good if it is made mandatory before issuing a license? So that we could do more than just transport the victim to the hospital/inform police..etc

-Haque
Old 16th February 2006, 12:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
No. I would not .

Manaa - between making my consience or the mob , understand - i would choose to make my consience understand. Simple. These days u never know what kind of people u run into in a mob. if its some one i know - i would stop , else Forget it !
i agree with your way of saying that it is difficult to run into the mob and make them understand, but if you are willing, then shout at the top of your voice & then people will understand your intentions.

still if somebody starts acting smart then god only help him, coz i wouldnt think twice before even taking action against him.

but i strongly feel that in this kind of situation, i would definately help.

Shubbhi
Old 16th February 2006, 12:58   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
however, in India, you have to be very careful before stopping to help. You have to judge the situation and decide whether it is a safe locality to offer assistance or not.
Even if you follow your heart, and forget any legal issues that may crop up, I do not think I am qualified to provide any medical assistance. Its a different story if a person is in a stable state with cuts and bruises and broken bones, you can take him to a hospital and there is a good chance of survial. If a person is critically injured, the position that I may have the unconcious person lie down may obstruct his breathing and kill him completely. The first few minues after an accident are really important and demands a trained professional.

I have known people who get into serious motorcycle accidents at speeds of 150mph, show up to work after a week. This is only possible as a result of the efforts of trained emergency medical care professionals.
-Prasadee

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks