Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 19:28   #136
BHPian

Re: August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
My repeated claim that most people decide on the car and then fuel type or variant is vindicated

It is a handful of us who decide on the feature/variant or fuel type.
Most car buyers, the middle class, are always looking for value for money. Usually people don't sell their cars for pretty long time and saving money plays a major role. This is where diesel plays a prominent role in the minds of ordinary Indians.

People do consider the feature as a major deciding factor. The reason there is huge demand for Highline Vento rather than Trendline is due to the feature list of that car. If it's trendline that is selling, I suspect it's taxiwala's hand in it.

When I booked Vento HL in early March, my assumption was I would keep this car at least for five years, it would run for over 2000 KM per month. Safety of the driver and passenger was a must, therefore airbags and ABS was thrown in. Since my Dad will use the service of chaffuer, the back seat comfort was a priority. I use it for highway run for a quick weekend getaway, so driving and handling dynamics are important. Because we already have two hatchbacks, a seaden was prerequisite. The perceived snob value, the 'thud' factor, anti pinch feature on PW all played important role during decision making. There were no alternative other than Vento at that price bracket. Even today if I was in the Market, I would definitely choose Vento HL that is how happy I am.
Old 5th September 2011, 19:55   #137
BHPian

A few months back when i had mentioned to some folks that Fiat Linea will surely die unless Fiat guys take some serious action, i was laughed at! Also when the honda haters had started predicting the death of city and rise of vento, i was like- lets see cause i expected honda to wake up. Honda has turned the tables indeed, vento with diesel too cannot match 50% of the sales, will be interesting to see brio and now jazz numbers. Guess honda has silenced the competition!
Figo is well established and a steady performer, the fiesta will not make a mark IMHO
Old 5th September 2011, 21:15   #138
BHPian

Thanks to GTO for the report.

Contrary to what many felt, I think Jazz have had an excellent month with 600 units sold which translates into a 218% increase over the previous month. This is a huge uplift.

Regarding, poor showing by Kizashi, I don't think MSIL will be bothered too much about it. Sometimes, a company has a product at a certain segment and price point just to complete its portfolio - so someone who wants such a product don't have to look elsewhere. Kizashi is brought in as a CBU from Japan (it doesn't sport the Maruti badge). MSIL just sells and services it - they will import only as much as the market demands. So no headaches of managing a production line, input costs, profit margins, et al.

Regarding the poor performance of Linea and Punto, I think the major problem is people's lack of trust in Fiat. Consumers still remember the car companies that, after selling them their products, packed up and went away leaving them high and dry. Fiat does not even want to put up independent showrooms and service centers when others like Nissan, Chevrolet, and Volkswagen look to ramp up continuously demonstrating their commitment to the Indian market. Fiat wants us to commit ourselves and our hard earned money to them, but they don't want to commit anything to us. It reminds me of Nick Van Eade of the 80's rock band "Cutting Crew" who famously crooned in his most popular single "Died in your arms tonight"

"She's loving by proxy, no give and all take
'cos I've been thrilled to fantasy one too many times"

murillo
Old 6th September 2011, 00:00   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think the Linea's numbers have got nothing to do with Fiat's brand image or after sales issues. Linea has not had any facelifts/improvements since launch - meanwhile better products have been launched in the segment. Yes, they launched the T-jet, but it's only a new variant and not a product improvement. I think Fiat should try to improve the product itself along with A.S.S. The same is applicable, perhaps to a lesser extent, to Punto as well.
True if you're referring to just the 1.4 litre oil burner. As for the petrol, the Linea did come out with the more powerful and elegant T-Jet model as an upgrade/facelift whatever you'd like to call it.
Old 6th September 2011, 00:54   #140
BHPian

undoubtedly, the most awaited thread of every month, thanks GTO! probably serves ford right. post figo's success, i was expecting a super tight pricing alongside the NHV. Really appalling to see the Linea, of all vehicles suffering a slow death. Comon Fiat, plonk in a power packed heart and take a price cut, not to forget another ad campaign, ala the first one. Consumers are gonna lap it up!
Old 6th September 2011, 08:23   #141
BANNED

As dzire being the largest selling sedan and clocking 7k sales because of its vfm factor (boot in particular), it will be a foolishness from maruti to replace this with the new under 4m car. Better they launch it as 'dzire junior' alongside the current dzire. Reduction in bootspace by a significant volume will be suicidal for dzire, and its usp factor will be gone. Maruti has to replace current dzire only with a 4.4m sedan based on the new swift, with1.6l engines in both petrol and diesel models. Price it in the 6-8lakh category, and this will give maruti a good fighter in upper c segment.
Old 6th September 2011, 09:44   #142
BHPian

Hi,

I have an excel sheet which i took from the last months' post. is the excel for this month uploaded?
Old 6th September 2011, 10:23   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

For the much applauded Honda City Resurgence/ Revival, I feel giving credit to the City is not all correct. Here is my analysis:

- The city is the best petrol sedan in its class, which offers 90% of the value of the next higher category (Civic, Corolla, Cruze, Fluence, Laura & Jetta) of at 75% cost (even lower when the Europeans are brought in picture). In fact it is as (at times probably more spacious) than the above cars, has a big boot (505 Litres), has interiors in lighter (Beige) shade that Indians associate with premiumness, are robust to a great extent (more than SX4), have a balanced ride (compare ANHV with current ANHC), have very good mileage & reliability record, the dealers are competent enough & Indians go gaga for Honda/ Toyota/ Maruti & the likes which pulls enough customers to dealership (for similar reasons).
Further, the reduced price was a temptation, which not many could ignore &/or overcome.
As pointed out in your analysis, wouldn't you say that the City does indeed deserve the credit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
People up north are indeed lucky, but here the waiting period are insane, just a month ago when I visited a dealership, there was a waiting list White board which mentioned Vento booking to delivery in nine months I was like what the craziness is happening with WV.
Nine months? What will they say next? That you can expect twins?
Old 6th September 2011, 11:25   #144
BHPian

Really sad to see Nano figures consistently going down over last few months!
TATA wake up, you have a good car at hand. I think only diesel option can save this car
Old 6th September 2011, 11:29   #145
Senior - BHPian

On a different note Porsche sold 215 cars between april-june 2011 against 137 in the same period last year.
Old 6th September 2011, 11:30   #146
Mik
BHPian

I am a bit perplexed by the Spark decline. Is it really down to assembly line being diverted to Beat. If that be the case, why are the Chevy guys going gungho with the whole "Happy Vaasi" campaign if they are not manufacturing that many?
Old 6th September 2011, 11:51   #147
BHPian

I somehow expected the poor performance from ANFF. We will have to wait and see if this is only a one-off blip and if it makes a comeback in the festival season ahead. I personally feel Ford could have done away with some features like voice control and cruise control and priced the ANFF bang among the ANHV, VWV, and ANHC territory - would have been an enticing war for the C segment crown.

Currently, Fiesta Classic is selling ~ 4x more than ANFF.

As an aside, I personally feel Ford have botched up the rear job in ANFF where they should have done better. I find it unpalatable after paying top dollars, one ends up with a compromised product.

Note: All the above are my own personal, subjective perceptions. No offense meant to any existing or prospective Ford customers.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:05   #148
BHPian

Its interesting how the auto sector is getting into the budget of the masses. Alto numbers are declining while the City numbers increase. What does this mean? The increase in the interest rates playing havoc with the small budget (mass user) market. With the economy going into idle state (read very slow growth) this (high interest rate) will not ease for a while. The guys with money (read people who are buying 8+ L cars) do not seem to be affected by this ( as the numbers show).

Is India auto again going out of reach of the masses (the kind of market we are).

I would have thought of Nano as an answer, but that perplexes me. Alto users who skipped the buying did not choose the nano as an option. That is really interesting! Why? ............ (thinking.....).....
Old 6th September 2011, 12:37   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravingmh View Post
As pointed out in your analysis, wouldn't you say that the City does indeed deserve the credit?
I would never take the credit from City, which is the best petrol sedan in its class (with its strengths already mentioned by me in my post), but, yes the huge lags in delivery of diesel ANHV, Vento & SX4 & touchme not pricing of the ANFFis enough to drive the customers to ANHC.

Further, there are many people who had patiently waited for the deliveries of City despite having booked few months back (when there was a recall & the production was slowed down by Honda).

Additionally, in our Punjabi community, there are many auntijees who know there is a sedan Honda City & all sedans are referred to as other cars. I guess this (perception) is common many other communities as well .
Old 6th September 2011, 13:26   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
- lets see cause i expected honda to wake up. Honda has turned the tables indeed, vento with diesel too cannot match 50% of the sales, will be interesting to see brio and now jazz numbers. Guess honda has silenced the competition!
Well others can also play the pricing game! If VW or Hyundai see this kind of sales for a few months, they are also big enough to come with some attractive discounts (plus additional features etc) to lure customers! I dont think any car will ubiquitously remain numero uno for a very long time in the current market (except Alto).

My 0.02 rupees!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks