Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 10:25   #196
BHPian

Re: August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
The ex-showroom price of SX4 ZXi (non leather) shot up by 8%. 7.35 lakh ex-showroom is now 8.00 lak ex-showroom (Bangalore).
What used to cost 8.4 lakhs onroad (that too after 40,000=25k loyalty/exchange + 15k corporate discount) now adds upto 9.6 (without discount) or, 9.2 (with 40k).
This increase of 80k minimum is a big amount. Also consider this - 7.59 base honda or 8.00 SX4 Zxi. City is a no brainer.
That's just a difference of 41K and here you are talking about a fully loaded SX4 Vs bare metal Honda. SX4 Zxi a no brainer, I would say
Old 14th September 2011, 11:27   #197
hvs
BHPian

He's also talking about an upmarket elite car which beat down even New Verna in sales *-this Aug'11 & is right when he says City's no brainer as compared to Ford fiesta classic, which is likely to be discontinued soon like Ikon
Old 14th September 2011, 20:21   #198
BHPian

IMHO, The mighty City is always no brainer as far as Petrol sedans go.
For Diesel, I think VW Vento 1.6 is the no brainer. Only my view though
Old 14th September 2011, 20:45   #199
Senior - BHPian

No way is Vento a no brainer Verna is far more loaded, better and wider *** network & has much better looks (personal opinion). Vento might score in high speed handling but how many people in India go over 120-130 when it might be felt ?
Old 14th September 2011, 23:02   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
That's just a difference of 41K and here you are talking about a fully loaded SX4 Vs bare metal Honda. SX4 Zxi a no brainer, I would say
I'm sorry about putting it that way. Well it depends which brain is more active (left or right). With my ownership experience and goofups with SX4, and comparing with Honda's upkeep - My brain (i.e. IMO) suggested City as a no brainer as of today. The base Honda has airbags (though it has no alloys, no audio and no ACC) - so makes more sense comparing with Zxi (with ABS and Airbags). If city increases their price by another 20k for ACC (which I doubt as it is ECU controlled and requires cheap sensors), it beats Zxi for VFM. Not everyone would want to go for alloys, though ICE setup will shoot their budget. But, who is happy with stock SX4 audio ?.
Technically we are talking a difference of (7.35 - 8.25 = -90k earlier) to (8.00 - 7.59 = +41k). so what would have saved you 90k earlier (by buying Zxi over city E) is now a loss of 40k. I don't call it VFM. I had said "WOW" when SX4 was launched - due to host of features and VFM. I'm sorry, its out of date today in lot of parameters. I don't want to get technical here, but Maruti is not doing anything to match power-per-tonne by 2011-2012 standards. Except GC, ACC and beautiful ICE integration (barring diesel heart), SX4 is not offering anything new to drool over for that kind of price (Apart from maruti's USP). City gives marginally better FE car with similar reliability (if not better).
I love my car till date. But I have my qualms as I'm still paying the EMI's.

Also, imagine my plight where I ended up with a burnt clutch while offroading on a uphill due to bad rubber (bad traction while climbing uphill).
A smart city driver did it better with those grippier michelins and better torque curve.
Another point is at 7.59, the "Quality" is not being cut corners, and at "8.00" it is still a compromise with bad rubber. The machines are not bad, but you won't disagree to call city a VFM now.

Last edited by devsoftech : 14th September 2011 at 23:09. Reason: ICE is also missing in city
Old 15th September 2011, 00:10   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Quite the opposite - Have driven both of them, and the SX4 Zxi despite its bells and whistles, is not a competition for the current Honda City (It did trouble its previous version)

Honda City is the right choice, unless one has to face harsh terrain frequently.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:28   #202
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry about putting it that way. Well it depends which brain is more active (left or right). With my ownership experience and goofups with SX4, and comparing with Honda's upkeep - My brain (i.e. IMO) suggested City as a no brainer as of today. The base Honda has airbags (though it has no alloys, no audio and no ACC) - so makes more sense comparing with Zxi (with ABS and Airbags).
standards. Except GC, ACC and beautiful ICE integration (barring diesel heart), SX4 is not offering anything new to drool over for that kind of price (Apart from maruti's USP). City gives marginally better FE car with similar reliability (if not better).
Also, imagine my plight where I ended up with a burnt clutch while offroading on a uphill due to bad rubber (bad traction while climbing uphill).
A smart city driver did it better with those grippier michelins and better torque curve.
Another point is at 7.59, the "Quality" is not being cut corners, and at "8.00" it is still a compromise with bad rubber. The machines are not bad, but you won't disagree to call city a VFM now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Quite the opposite - Have driven both of them, and the SX4 Zxi despite its bells and whistles, is not a competition for the current Honda City (It did trouble its previous version)

Honda City is the right choice, unless one has to face harsh terrain frequently.
Yes friends, both of you are right. But on road price in Bangalore, i still believe Honda City is not fully VFM. Ex-showroom, definitely is

In fact, I wanted to retract my statement yesterday itself. Got stuck with work.

@devsoftech,Burnt clutch? Would you attribute it to bad stock tires or torque curve or both?
Is the torque curve that much different on both these vehicles? And I am not sure whether Honda City would have sustained the driving conditions you were talking about. Also, let us think of same tire too (JK in City instead of Michelin, since the comparison will be even then).
Anyway, none of these sedans are built for offroading purpose, are they?

And to top it all, @sriramv.iyer has this to say " Honda City is the right choice, unless one has to face harsh terrain frequently."
So I am might confused with two contradictory views for one post of mine

One of my friends who own a Honda City drove my car recently. His opinion was this "Honda City, as the name says, is best for City driving, whereas SX4 excels in highways and slightly tougher roads"

I tend to trust his views for

(1) He knows a two or thing about cars and vehicles in general
(2) Brilliant driver, rash to an extent ;-)

(3) Quite objective in his views. He likes his vehicles, but not very emotional about them. Maintains a good balance.

Best Regards,
Old 15th September 2011, 17:06   #203
BHPian

Quote:
@devsoftech,Burnt clutch? Would you attribute it to bad stock tires or torque curve or both?
Is the torque curve that much different on both these vehicles?
mine is a non VVT model. I was stuck in a sort of trench filled with loose gravel everywhere (typical indian broken road). The road was having U-turn and uphill at 15-20 degrees. The wheel span like crazy - and car didn't budge forward at all and after 4-5 futile efforts, smoke came under the bonnet (burnt clutch). it is definitely bad rubber to blame for not providing sufficent traction and still having me keep engine on boil (i upgraded to michelins and tried something similar without hassles). being a non VVT, torque is obviously not good at 2000 rpm (ideally sufficient HP to pull out). Clutch might have been saved if I would not had to revv higher (and lower body weight). but neverthless, I was a pathetic driver

when I pulled out and parked aside, I did see the new city follow the same trail and come up without any hassles. GC doesn't matter always - if you know proper tricks. but when you need power and control - you really need it. there's no excuse. So despite having a capable car, you are sometimes in a situation to not leverage it.

I would say aerodynamics makes city a better car for higher speed driving, but then tyre profile limits the city to closer speeds of SX4. but the on highways i-VTEC saves on FE apart from aerodynamics.

Last edited by devsoftech : 15th September 2011 at 17:13.
Old 15th September 2011, 21:01   #204
BHPian

Quote:

I tend to trust his views for

(1) He knows a two or thing about cars and vehicles in general
(2) Brilliant driver, rash to an extent ;-)

(3) Quite objective in his views. He likes his vehicles, but not very emotional about them. Maintains a good balance.

Best Regards,
Hi , i Suggest please take a look at the ford fiesta classic TDCI.

Agreed City looks a little better than Fiesta classic, but fiesta will beat most sedans in handling and fun to drive department and plus i'm suggesting you the TDCI, which will save you loads of money on the fuel.

Fiesta classic is one of the most elegant looking cars around like the Vento, Fiesta classic will not age easily being in your garage for 5 to 8 years from today.

Cheers
Crazy4.Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 12:32   #205
Senior - BHPian

RBI has hiked rates by 0.25% again , petrol prices hiked by Rs 3/lt and Shraddh month ( for those who believe in it ) - September looks like a bleak bleak month for car sales
Old 16th September 2011, 13:07   #206
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO.

Gypsy > 1000. Wondering how much they would if a Diesel heart is put in there

Whats happening with Kizashi - Doubt what's Maruti thinking now. Re-price? Face lift? limited edition?

I am really impressed by the Sante Fe. Massive sales. Seems ike slowly its picking up. See a good growth here.

Tata Aria sales is certainly not bad. Should be the effect of 2x4 they are offering. Almost 20 less than Sante Fe.

Honda Jazz is back? Effect of price reduction?
Old 16th September 2011, 14:05   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Wow the same thing happened with us on a cousin's SX4 while we were climbing Mahabaleshwar ghats. Only saving grace was that the gear slotted in second and we could climb all the way up to the hotel.

We got Maruti to pay for the burnt clutch plates.

On a separate note, the petrol prices are pretty much forcing everybody to go diesel. Even, those with low mileage need to think now whether they are better off with diesel or not. At least its got me confused totally.

Plus, the high interest rates right now are sure to fall in a couple of quarters. Wouldn't it make sense to wait than get locked in at higher rates right now and pay the EMIs thru the nose for the next three years minimum.

Lets see how September sales fare now.

Cheers
Old 16th September 2011, 22:13   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
RBI has hiked rates by 0.25% again , petrol prices hiked by Rs 3/lt and Shraddh month ( for those who believe in it ) - September looks like a bleak bleak month for car sales

Your right, this is right time for people to go shopping for petrol cars in the next 15days.

People can bargain and grab good deals due to the factors you have mentioned.

September and october sales charts will have Swift D, RiTZ D, BEAT D, FIGO D,VISTA D with good numbers on board for sure.
Old 27th September 2011, 13:41   #209
BHPian

Audi and Mercedes Benz have not provided sales ever since the beginning of 2011. Looks like BMW has also joined that band this month onwards
Old 2nd October 2011, 08:12   #210
BHPian

Sep Car sales:

maruti slide down continues with Sep domestic sales falling by 17%. SX4 sales was 196. Surely they stopped SX4 to produce more of swift and Dzire since Dzire sales has risen

More details below:

Maruti Suzuki Sales in September 2011

Honda too has registered a 38% fall with city sales around 3700 and Jazz just 596
Honda Siel Cars sales decline 38 pc in Sept - The Times of India

However Tata and Hyundai have registered growths

Hyundai, Tata back on growth path in auto recovery | mydigitalfc.com
nurni76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks