Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:37   #16
BHPian

Re: September 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Not a normal trend, but seeing a Gypsy outsell the SX4 is interesting. Probably the effect of shutdown at the Manesar plant.
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:54   #17
BHPian

The September numbers are a bit surprising by the fact that a lot of brands except Maruti managed a good jump from August sales numbers. Maruti was down because of the strike. Even after the price increases of several sedans such as Verna and Vento, their sales are doing well.
Are we coming out of the slump? That is the big question! I think a lot of aggressive marketing helped the sales figures. However with all the discounts going around, the manufacturers' margins would have been pretty slim...
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:03   #18
BHPian

TATA - Nano improved because of internal employee sales scheme ?
Indica/go , Safari and Aria are impressive this month.

Mahindra Bolero getting stronger every month.

Well done Indian companies !

What happens to Reva ? , don't they declare their volumes?
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- The surprise from the Ford family is the ol' Fiesta, which continues to go from strength to strength AFTER the new (generation) Fiesta's launch. What was Ford thinking when they approved of that pricing strategy?
Looks like they have found a new market. Of late, I have noticed quite a few Fiesta Classics with yellow board registration !!!
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:17   #20
Team-BHP Support

Thanks GTO once again for the sales figures and extensive analysis. I have one question - Is Tata not able to sell a single Xenon these days?
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:19   #21
BANNED

Thanks GTO, for the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Not a normal trend, but seeing a Gypsy outsell the SX4 is interesting. Probably the effect of shutdown at the Manesar plant.
Was wondering when the G13 engine is made BS-IV compliant!
Attached Thumbnails
September 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-20111003_211600.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2011, 21:39   #22
BHPian

Nice to see that the XUV have sold 500 odd nos in a week's time!
The news have reported this evening that more than 3000 units have been booked till date.
Would be intresting to see the numbers at the end of this month.

Those 7000 odd Eons are factory shipment to dealers, hence can't be truly classified as sales in the market. Though there are deep speculations that its gonna give the Alto, a run for its money.

Aria numbers saw a slow rise, but this month's numbers will be real deal breaker for TML.

Thanks GTO.

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 3rd October 2011 at 21:44.
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:44   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I was eagerly awaiting this thread. Very well documented and has all the info needed. Thanks GTO,a well deserved 5 star.

-It was good to see that ALL Tata cars(including Nano) have shown growth in sales. 4X2 definitely helped the Aria and the discounts on the others also played some role i guess.
-The Swift has regained its run but i was surprised to see the Dzire figures. Recently our local Maruti dealer said that Dzire bookings have been stopped.
-Price cuts for City and Jazz couldn't suppress the effect of price rise of petrol. I was hoping to see 1k+ figures for the Jazz,it deserves it.
-The Eon dispatches were again a surprise.

PS: O.T- Could you do a review of the Hyundai Eon soon please?
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

@GTO: Fantastic chart and analysis as always. 7188 Eon shipped to dealers are these demo cars or cars to be sold?!
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

These seem to be bookings and not sales as we have Eon also in the numbers!
How are cancellations/de-bookings accounted?

Oh god, whats with Nano. Hope the diesel changes the game here..

Chevy seems to be on a roll here - they should kill the Aveo duds.

Rest of the stuff is mostly inline or better!!
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:06   #26
BHPian

Tata is enjoying its sales whereas Fiat is not able to do anything even after launching different schemes / offers every month.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:25   #27
BHPian

I have never seen a Kizashi and the new ford fiesta on road in Bangalore. Talk about pricing it right!. But then, why is the Jazz not selling even with the price cut beats me. Petrol? Don't think so. When an i10 petrol and i20 petrol can do close to 12 or 13k, why can't jazz do it ? (Considering 50% of the i20's sold are petrols). No wonder they say understanding Indian mentalities is a really tough job

I see a new star coming up in the XUV 500. Eagerly waiting for next month's numbers. Will be interesting to see if it eats up Innova's numbers. Hyundai seem to have got it all going for them. They got hold of the 5 lakh hatchback segment with the i10. Then the premium segment with the i20. Then the entry sedan with the new Verna. And now, the lowest segment with the eon. Say what you want with there handling/ high speed stability etc, they are the people to watch out for. i45 next in the accord/cruze segment ?

Feels good to see Chevy doing well. I am a Chevy fanboy after i drove my uncle's Cruze.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:27   #28
BHPian

Thanks GTO, was waiting for this thread since yesterday.

Overall due to petrol price rise, not a super month for petrol only cars.
1) Alto has got 20K+ nos. however not the best that as per historical data.

2) EON seems to be a surprise, as their was absolutely no info regarding this.

3) i10 and Santro have got decent numbers but once EON would be launched this month Santro stats might see a downward trend. This would be same with Alto as well.

In B segment Swift has again gained its position with the newer version. However this is not its best as due to strike a lot of production loss was suffered.
Ritz and i20 made pretty decent figures.

Coming to C segment Fiesta has lost all its plot. Due to overpricing they are not able to click with their customers.

Honda City has clocked good numbers, but i think it might not be able to carry over to next months due to petrol only engine.

The leader of this segment is surly Verna, emerged as the topper.
GTO please provide breakup of Diesel vs Petrol for Verna.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Jazz still hanst improved much. I guess once you get a bad name, its not easy to come out of it. Ask Fiat!
But the dealers are quoting a waiting period for the Jazz. I think competition and rise in petrol prices has made Honda price their products 'realistic'. But they need oil burner in their product portfolio badly !

- I think Hyundai Eon will steal the show if priced properly . Looks like another exciting product from Hyundai. If Hyundai dont overprice it then R.I.P Maruti and Chevy Spark etc.

- I dont see much difference in nos. of Etios /Liva compared to previous month nos. Toyota was foolish not to bring the Vios/Yaris to India.

- Toyota could have easily done 1200-1500 units for the Corolla had it got a better powered Diesel. Any news if they plan to plonk a more powerful diesel?

-I think Ford is making a blunder here by continuing with the Fiesta SXI which is priced close to 10 lacs ( for a 5-6 year old model) . Seriously?? What are they smoking . They should rather make ABS and Airbags as optional in the other versions and see sales improving.

- Things look gloomy at Hyundai's end. With Next Gen Sonata and Elantra launch around the corner . Looks like Hyundai will rule most of the segments. Maruti should be worried the most with Eon launch.

- VW stable seems to have faired better than Skoda. Could Skoda Rapid aka Lauretta improve things? Though the Polo deserves better engines and equipment levels. Vento outselling the Polo is obvious when VW plans to bring a facelifted Vento first.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

All the numbers posted here are from Company to dealers only! These are not the actual retail numbers but are the wholesale ones!

Mahindra Bolero is the star of the month. Almost 10K for an SUV/MUV. That's better than most of the hatchbacks! Is that the all time best number for a vehicle in its category?

According to reports the Hyundai Eon will be priced between 2.50L to 3.50L. Now, if Maruti cut A-Star prices by 1L (if they can), will that be fair match between the two?

Looks like the discounts have had a positive effect on all Tata cars!

But I still don't understand why the Venture sells so less compared to the Omni/Eeco, considering it's Diesel advantage! Lack of advertisement?

About the Nano sales, here's an interesting article on business-standard. It says,
Quote:
Nano's retail sales, which stood at 3,548 units in July, were 6,451 in August and 9,208 in September this year.
source - Nano sales pick up on discounts, less down payment

Last edited by safari_lover : 3rd October 2011 at 22:37.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks