Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 17:53   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Aria : 1.6 lakh discount + 40k exchange bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Is it true that the dealers are giving this 1.6 lac discount over the overall calculated OTR price (and not on the ex-showroom price)?
Yes ebonho, this is what I was also told when I contacted Prerna Motors.

if Tata was actually giving the vehicle for 9.99 lacs then the road tax would have been much lesser than the current 2+lacs (would have been 1.2 - 1.5 lacs) and that would have got down onRoad price by another 50000 Rs atleast.

PS: the road tax mentioned for Karnataka state
Old 20th December 2011, 18:51   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
How can it set the charts on fire ? Aria needs a complete revamp of the interiors and the plastic quality has to be dramatically improved. I would not buy this even with 3 lakhs discount. I am saying this after owning safari and manza. They have to even make the third row sliding. Wonder,when Will they improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
No surprises there. Given the problems reported by Aria, Tatas need to bite the bullet and reduce the price significantly and permanently (NOT as a year end deal). Hondas got the message, when would Tatas get it for Aria?

Once there are enough Arias on the road, the quality gradually improves and positive word of mouth spreads, then Tatas can dream of asking for a premium on Aria.
What was "Expected" by TML folks was that this should see a splurry of bookings similar to what Honda saw after the price-cut of Jazz. They wanted to lure the XUV/Scorpio/Innova customer and also the Grande/Bolero Customer whould was okay to stretch his budget by 2-3 lacs for Aria. They wanted to encash on the fact of waiting period for other models vis-a-vis read stock for Aria. They are even offering same day delivery for customers with Cash purchase.

This plan flopped big time for them. Sales have improved only marginally. The competition seems to sell better than Aria.
Old 20th December 2011, 20:08   #78
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
How can it set the charts on fire ? Aria needs a complete revamp of the interiors and the plastic quality has to be dramatically improved. I would not buy this even with 3 lakhs discount. I am saying this after owning safari and manza. They have to even make the third row sliding. Wonder,when Will they improve
Can you please name one car where third row has sliding mechanism. Or because it is TATA it should be there?

please read GTO review then say interior plastics are bad

It was selling reasonable well for a TATA priced so high. In the catgory of 15-25 lakhs it was the second largest seller for a year( first is fortuner at around 1000 units per month, Aria was 300 per month). it was selling much better than Hyndai's. maruti,s, Scoda's priced in that rage.
Old 20th December 2011, 23:04   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Can you please name one car where third row has sliding mechanism. Or because it is TATA it should be there?
Doesn't the Innova? Or has it been too long since I sat in one?
Old 20th December 2011, 23:41   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg

please read GTO review then say interior plastics are bad

It was selling reasonable well for a TATA priced so high. In the catgory of 15-25 lakhs it was the second largest seller for a year( first is fortuner at around 1000 units per month, Aria was 300 per month). it was selling much better than Hyndai's. maruti,s, Scoda's priced in that rage.
Rkg what I am saying here is if aria is to sell like innova, it has to capitalise on the third row. It can go back by 3 inches and still have a greater luggage space left. This way it will be a proper 7 seater with decent luggage space, which no car offers. Coming to plastics, I drove the 4x2 pure last week and trust me the plastic is worse than my safari's, which atleast has a soft feel dash. This thing will hurt u as a owner as if the vehicle does not have satnav, I can retro fit when I want but you cannot do anything about the built in plastic. In my manza I happen to get a small foot mark on the black color plastic and it shows after repeated wiping and polishing. Tata plastic age within a week after delivery. I struggle 2 hours every week to apply polish to the plastics of manza just to keep it at acceptable levels. Also, the fundamental mistakes of Tata are unacceptable. For example, the manza door pad comes with a beige fabric, which will be dirty even at the time of delivery of your car. Such quality and basic mistakes will hurt at this price point
Old 21st December 2011, 10:42   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Doesn't the Innova? Or has it been too long since I sat in one?
Innova has a sliding middle row. The third row does not slide.
Old 21st December 2011, 20:00   #82
BHPian

Guys, post these discounts the middle variant(4X2) of Aria falls in similar price range as the Safari VX. A close relative of mine is insistent on buying the Safri VX, considering the discounts on offer should I ask him to rather go for the Aria?

My main concern is that in case going forward any niggles or issues crop up with the Aria, the blame will fall on me, and I want to avoid such a situation

With the Safari it's his decision completely, even though I had convinced them to buy an Innova instead but its not avialable off the shelf in any showroom, so now we are back to Safari instead.
What do you guys suggest?
Old 21st December 2011, 20:18   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
My main concern is that in case going forward any niggles or issues crop up with the Aria, the blame will fall on me, and I want to avoid such a situation
What do you guys suggest?
If you think this way, never force a decision on your friend. I feel you should just ask him to look at Aria as well and then let him decide. If he asks you, then just inform your opinion to him. That is about it.

As far as Safari is concerned, the niggles will always be there. Like rattling or parts that need to be changed under warranty and so on. I am not sure if Aria is too different. If it were upto me to decide between these two vehicles only, I will take the decision based on the kind of usage.
But OT, the innova is worth the wait.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 14:29   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
Yes ebonho, this is what I was also told when I contacted Prerna Motors.

if Tata was actually giving the vehicle for 9.99 lacs then the road tax would have been much lesser than the current 2+lacs (would have been 1.2 - 1.5 lacs) and that would have got down onRoad price by another 50000 Rs atleast.

PS: the road tax mentioned for Karnataka state
It has nothing to do with Tata Motors or for that matter any other manufacturer. Road Tax is calculated on Ex-showroom Price of the vehicle and does not take into account any discounts, offers, or exchange benefits. Therefore, despite a massive cut resulting in actual buying price of the vehicle falling into lower road tax bracket, you end up paying equivalent tax as that of vehicle before discount.

Secondly, Insurance too is calculated on ex-showroom price and not discounted price. Therefore, Additional elements (Insurance, Road Tax, Extended Warranty, AMC) are not affected by cash discount offered by the company.

This may be the reason why the SE quoted 1.6L discount on on-road price and not ex-showroom price.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 01:46   #85
BHPian

Just saw this ad on yahoo.com.

seems like Tata has done price correction for Tata Aria 4x2 Pure model at 9.99L. See screenshot from yahoo page. Though I couldn't find prices on tataaria site - looks like they are in process of fixing website.

This should bring in numbers that this car deserves.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : 1.6 lakh discount + 40k exchange bonus-tata-aria.jpg  

Old 27th December 2011, 11:29   #86
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The 9.99L price seems to be continuing into Jan they are now calling it the Aniversay offer and just say "Limited Period Offer".

I guess they need to anyways liquidate all 2011 manufactured units in stock at this price before commencing 2012 manufacturing.
Old 27th December 2011, 13:09   #87
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The 9.99L price seems to be continuing into Jan they are now calling it the Aniversay offer and just say "Limited Period Offer".

I guess they need to anyways liquidate all 2011 manufactured units in stock at this price before commencing 2012 manufacturing.
They may not re-commence manufacturing at all based on market response to even the new price point.
Old 27th December 2011, 17:37   #88
BHPian

Production will start later again sometime in Feb. If you book an Aria with a color and trim that the dealer doesn't currently have, the earliest delivery would be in March 2012.

Also, had gone for a pre registration test drive for my Aria today at the dealer. He has sold off all his Arias and has had to say no to many possible customers who had come down with their cheque books. Even other dealerships in Bombay have sold off all of their stock. So looks like the clearance is pretty much over now.

Also, he showed me next month's rate cards and the Arias are getting costlier by another 30k at least. I told him boss if Tatas want Aria to sell you need to make these current prices permanent else again Arias would only sell again at the 2012 year end clearance.

I guess full energies would be on the Merlin now.

The only good part is that the Merlin and Aria now share most of the parts, so even if on a 10% chance of Tatas killing of the Aria, at least getting parts will never be an issue.

Cheers
Old 27th December 2011, 19:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Why the SE quoted 1.6L discount on on-road price and not ex-showroom price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneOp View Post
Just saw this ad on yahoo.com.

seems like Tata has done price correction for Tata Aria 4x2 Pure model at 9.99L.
These two posts are providing contradictory information. The first posts say that 1.6 lakh discount is on the OTR Price, but the advertisement says that aria is available from 9.99 lacs, which suggests the Ex-showroom price. Tata has no say on the Taxes/registration/road tax etc. Tata only has the power to change the ex-showroom price.

Since taxes et all are a "percentage" of the Ex-showroom price, it makes more sense to calculate the taxes keeping 9.99 as the base figure.
Old 27th December 2011, 19:55   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
These two posts are providing contradictory information. The first posts say that 1.6 lakh discount is on the OTR Price, but the advertisement says that aria is available from 9.99 lacs, which suggests the Ex-showroom price. Tata has no say on the Taxes/registration/road tax etc. Tata only has the power to change the ex-showroom price.

Since taxes et all are a "percentage" of the Ex-showroom price, it makes more sense to calculate the taxes keeping 9.99 as the base figure.
What you state is perfectly right but there also is a catch. Any concession on Aria right now will be marked as discount on the actual ex-showroom price i.e 11.5L onwards.

So, technically, you are still paying 9.99Lac for the car and just the car. At the same time, you will now expect to be charged insurance and registration as a 'percentage' of this amount. This is where the catch lies. Both Insurance and Road Tax are paid on actual ex-showroom and not discounted price. Hence, you'll pay Insurance and Road Tax at same cost as is the case if Aria had no discounts.

Now, You would wonder why? Government logic is simple here. Many a people try to save tax by showing heavy discounts on product which is fine for VAT calculations but Road Tax/Insurance doesn't work the same way. A tata aria bought by person 1 has equivalent liabilities to State government and road as one bought by person 2 but at a discount. In fact, most transport offices have price list of all vehicles fed into the system which automatically calculates taxes on the base of those prices.

Therefore, while the discount is on ex-showroom price as advertised by Tata, you could also term it as a discount on On-Road price. Confusing? I too found it confusing earlier...

BTW, I too booked a Tata Aria 4x2 Pleasure in Pearl White colour with 1.6Lac cash discount and additional 40K Exchange Bonus and 15K Corporate Discount. Total Saving: 2.15Lac.

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 27th December 2011 at 20:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks