Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 15:45   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Find car owner using the registration number - Instantly via SMS!

Works totally wrong for my previous cars

My Ikon that was sold back in 2009 is still showing the Company name!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 16:29   #107
Senior - BHPian

I dont think it works for vehicles whose RC book hasnt been converted to smartcards. All the new vehicles have smartcards by default, but my Pulsar bought in 2004 still has the age old RC paper. Hence the SMS failed for the same.
Old 27th February 2012, 16:37   #108
Senior - BHPian

You can also use the same number i.e. 9212357123 to find out your Polling Booth details (especially useful for Voters in UP right now as I am going to vote tomorrow)

Sms "upepic <space> EPIC no." to 9212357123 e.g. "upepic XX/00/000/0000000" and you will get your Voter List details like Assembly Name, Your Name, Relative Name, Polling Booth No. & Serial No. EPIC no. is your Voter ID Card No.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 16:38   #109
Senior - BHPian

Worked for both my cars. Thankfully doesn't give address details. Useful stuff!
Old 27th February 2012, 16:40   #110
BHPian

Got correct details for my TN 2008 registered car but failed for TN 2004 registered bike.
Old 27th February 2012, 16:51   #111
BHPian

Awesome!! Works like a charm.
Old 27th February 2012, 17:07   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
I might be termed a sceptic but I am not too comfortable with this idea. I feel as a consumer my privacy is violated, when the government decides to make details of my ownership public, without my consent. Though it can be useful in a number of ways however, it can also be used for all the wrong reasons. Ideally a tool like this should remain only with the law enforcement agencies or some independent body that will give a report of ownership after the requisite paper work.
Got my details correctly as well in Pune.

I also had the same sentiment at first, but on further thought, there is so much more information available about me which, if someone intends to, can misuse. Take for instance the parking stickers I've put on my vehicles for office and residence and the host of information on a simple Google search against my name!

As long as my no more information like my address is available, this service is sane enough. And very helpful in catching traffic rule violators.
Old 27th February 2012, 17:25   #113
BHPian

I tried it for my Polo and it gives the correct info !!! but it fails for our Honda city registered in 2007, it has got that paper RC book maybe thats the reason?? I also logged on to vahan.nic.in here also it is possible to find out your vehicle details but you need to have 5 digits of chasis number too. If we can get the info by sending just the vehicle number as sms, why cant we get the same info by putting just vehicle no. on website
Old 27th February 2012, 18:28   #114
BHPian

I checked for 3 vehicles. Two of them had paper RC books. One had Smartcard. It worked fine for the smartcard one. I got the correct data for one of the paper RC's. 'No data found' for the remaining one. I think system works for both.
Old 27th February 2012, 18:31   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Worked like a charm on both my Pune cars: one new and one pre-owned (bought from Mahindra First Choice 3 years ago, lists me as the 2nd owner).

My earlier car was an MH-06 converted to KA-05. Sold in 2007 but STILL showing me as the (first) owner- a little worrying and it is the same on the Bangalore RTO website as well. The old (transferred) MH-06 number gives the error message some others described, which is as it should be.

Impressive!
Old 27th February 2012, 19:02   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Worked like a charm on both my Pune cars: one new and one pre-owned (bought from Mahindra First Choice 3 years ago, lists me as the 2nd owner).

My earlier car was an MH-06 converted to KA-05. Sold in 2007 but STILL showing me as the (first) owner- a little worrying and it is the same on the Bangalore RTO website as well. The old (transferred) MH-06 number gives the error message some others described, which is as it should be.

Impressive!
I hope you have ensured that the 2007 car ownership has been changed in the RTO office . In Bangalore ( or for that matter it can happen anywhere) sometimes the papers are signed but never lodged - this is mostly done to prevent an erosion in the value of the car due to change of hands ( its one less "hand") . The most risky part is when the car that was sold yet the ownership not changed in RTO records has any accident or is misused for any nefarious activity .
Old 27th February 2012, 19:16   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I hope you have ensured that the 2007 car ownership has been changed in the RTO office . In Bangalore ( or for that matter it can happen anywhere) sometimes the papers are signed but never lodged - this is mostly done to prevent an erosion in the value of the car due to change of hands ( its one less "hand") . The most risky part is when the car that was sold yet the ownership not changed in RTO records has any accident or is misused for any nefarious activity .
I sold it to Mahindra First Choice, the same dealer that I bought my Swift from when I moved to Pune 2 years later. I signed all the requisite forms but didn't actually ensure that the ownership transfer came through since I was leaving the country at the time. But I seriously doubt that car is still in my name, for one- wouldn't I receive calls for renewal of insurance etc. every year? Tend to think it is more or a failure to update the record in the system.
Old 29th February 2012, 17:47   #118

Great.
It works well in Pune.
Old 29th February 2012, 18:05   #119
BHPian

:-( did not work here in AP. Not sure why?

Tried two different numbers, AP09 and AP28 and both said:
"vehicle details not found. verify the vehicle no or contact registering authority for digitization the details"
Old 29th February 2012, 19:23   #120
Joy
BHPian

Works great.

Retrieved relevant info about the car. Very helpful in case of hit and run cases.

Thanks for sharing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks