Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 01:31   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan to revive the Datsun brand in India!

No test-gear on, must be pretty close to launch. But would they launch it with Diwali gone and the end of the year looming?
Old 5th November 2013, 11:05   #182
BHPian

Googled Datsun India and found this website, which says the car would have 1.2 liter engine with Length 3,785mm, width of 1,635mm and height of 1,485mm Also it has got a wheelbase of 2 ,450mm, does it shows that it would be like micra active once again ?

also they mentioned the price would be less than 4,00,000 INR
Old 5th November 2013, 11:42   #183
Senior - BHPian

With a big question mark on service network, it will be a huge task for Datsun to penetrate the most risk-averse segment of the Indian car buyers.

Even if Go becomes a hit, would Datsun have the capacity to meet a huge demand? If not, its not going to make a considerable dent in the Alto/Eon sales. If Datsun is preparing for high volumes, then it could be a tricky situation to break even in case the market doesn't receive the model well. Its unlikely that they'll start with huge production capacity considering how they ended up with Nissan and Renault products.

With the Amaze experience, I don't think Maruti or Hyundai would be really worried about the Go launch. The initial production capacity won't be sufficient to make a big dent into Alto sales for sure. Eon is more of a costlier and premium option to Alto already; it is unlikely that Eon buyers would settle for the blatant cost cutting seen in Go.

If 3.5-4L is the target price, Go would most likely compete with Micra Active and I can easily see it failing to the much better Active since all disadvantages of Nissan applies to Datsun as well. There is no way this car can compete with Wagon R and i10 with the kind of interiors it has.

Last edited by zenren : 5th November 2013 at 11:44.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:36   #184
BHPian

Some very interesting perspectives being put forward on this thread, on the Datsun Go. Some quite contradictory as well.

A majority of the responses I have seen on this thread seem to have a common theme - of the Go being a low cost / not-so great / built-to-cost / hatchback. Consequently the overall feedback seems to be not-so-positive.

Assuming the direct competitors for the Go are the Alto 800 / Eon / Micra Active / Liva [maybe], very few owners of these vehicles have commented on this thread. Most of the comments on this thread are from owners of vehicles positioned higher than this low-cost bracket. So, naturally the expectations are different.

So, who is the potential buyer of a Go? And what would he / she want in the Go at that price?
Kaumad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 17:18   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
However, for a big-volume small car like the Datsun GO, which competes with the likes of the Hyundai i10 and the Maruti WagonR, the number of dealerships would have to be greatly expanded if Nissan intends to reach out to more buyers.

After the Datsun GO hatchback, which will be slotted between 3-4 lakh rupees, Nissan will launch the i2 hatchback. The Datsun i2 is a smaller hatchback that will be pitted against the likes of the Maruti Alto 800 and the Hyundai Eon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
Some very interesting perspectives being put forward on this thread, on the Datsun Go. Some quite contradictory as well.

Assuming the direct competitors for the Go are the Alto 800 / Eon / Micra Active / Liva [maybe], very few owners of these vehicles have commented on this thread.

So, who is the potential buyer of a Go? And what would he / she want in the Go at that price?
Looking at the size of the GO, it would definitely attract WagonR, Beat and i10 buyers. I also feel it would eat into the sales of Micra. Would be decent as a city car/ small family car.

The whole concept of a low cost brand seems to be flawed. Luxury brand, yes. No one wants to buy a car which is branded cheap. If the dealership network is good, this would surely be a big hit.
Old 7th November 2013, 09:43   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
Looking at the size of the GO, it would definitely attract WagonR, Beat and i10 buyers....
Unless the buyer is a confused lot, I don't think so. Wagon R has Maruti backing, i10 with superb interior, Beat with funky styling - What is that going for GO above these cars?!

To me, this will sell only if it's pitted again alto and the likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
..The whole concept of a low cost brand seems to be flawed. Luxury brand, yes. No one wants to buy a car which is branded cheap. If the dealership network is good, this would surely be a big hit.
I don't think majority of the buyers know about the band value unless Nissan goes blaring all the way themselves. For buyers, this will be a new brand from Nissan and that's it.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 15:22   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Unless the buyer is a confused lot, I don't think so. Wagon R has Maruti backing, i10 with superb interior, Beat with funky styling - What is that going for GO above these cars?!
I guess it would be more 'target' than 'attract' these buyers. Even though the price seems to be on the higher side (for the features it offers), it does offer roomy interiors.

Quote:
To me, this will sell only if it's pitted again alto and the likes.
I agree, but they wouldn't do that because of the i2.

Quote:
I don't think majority of the buyers know about the band value unless Nissan goes blaring all the way themselves. For buyers, this will be a new brand from Nissan and that's it.
The papers mentioned something like 'Nissan introduces low-cost brand Datsun...' and I was like -
Sadly, Nissan itself isn't a brand with much recognition.
amolbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 12:56   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Datsun to use Nissan dealerships in India

Nissan Motor's budget brand will sell vehicles through the group's dealer networks here.

Cheers!

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-365589.aspx
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 14:10   #189
Team-BHP Support

Datsun has announced that it will selling its cars directly through Nissan Motor India.

Link to News Article
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 14:35   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Datsun has announced that it will selling its cars directly through Nissan Motor India.

Link to News Article
So is it Hover Automotive? I cannot imagine how Datsun guys would be treated when Nissan owners arent treated that well.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 15:11   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Link to News Article
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
So is it Hover Automotive? I cannot imagine how Datsun guys would be treated when Nissan owners arent treated that well.
I agree with @amtak, Hover Automotive could be the worst intermediary for any brand, & if they are managing Datsun (sales, supplies, logistics, etc.), IMO Datsun will die a premature death in India.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 15:57   #192
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I agree with @amtak, Hover Automotive could be the worst intermediary for any brand, & if they are managing Datsun (sales, supplies, logistics, etc.), IMO Datsun will die a premature death in India.
I completely concur on the issue of Hover. Using a middleman to sell one's products has never worked well in the Indian car market. Whether it's through sole distributors for imported brands on a small scale, through another car company (Tata) for Fiat cars on a medium scale, or through a master franchisee as in the case of Nissan on a large scale, it has only led to unhappy customers and dilution of brand value for the company. Hover is the cause of the below par sales & service experience for Nissan, which lags way behind its Japanese rivals. Even the same cars sold under the Renault badge (through a network that's similar in size) seem to provide a better experience for customers, as there is no middleman involved.

It seems the press release is not exactly clear on this issue. The main point is:

Datsun, all set to enter the Indian auto market next year, has said that it will sell its products DIRECTLY through Nissan Motor India.

What does the word "directly" mean in this context? It only creates confusion. In addition to this, Hover is not mentioned anywhere in the article.

It could mean that Hover has been left out for good, and it would be a huge plus for Datsun if that were to be the case. On the other hand, the article does mention that the existing dealership network will be used, which suggests that Hover may be involved yet again, to the detriment of customers.

I hope Nissan/Datsun clarify the involvement of Hover soon.

Last edited by RSR : 26th November 2013 at 16:01.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 16:04   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
What does the word "directly" mean in this context? It only creates confusion. In addition to this, Hover is not mentioned anywhere in the article.

TOI reports it clearly, Hover Automobile is not in the picture.

Quote:
Japanese auto major Nissan Motor Co will sell its upcoming small car Datsun Go and other models from the Datsun range on its own in India and not through its country sales and service partner Hover Automotive
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th November 2013 at 16:06.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 16:09   #194
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hooray! I hope this turns out to be a good news for prospective Datsun buyers. It also sends a message to Hover to pull up their socks and deliver a pleasant ownership experience for Nissan customers, or lose the contract at the end of the current term. Nissan seem to be finally waking up from their slumber, and are aiming for numbers with Datsun.
Old 26th November 2013, 18:25   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
It also sends a message to Hover to pull up their socks and deliver a pleasant ownership experience for Nissan customers, or lose the contract at the end of the current term. Nissan seem to be finally waking up from their slumber, and are aiming for numbers with Datsun.
The TOI article seems to be contradicting itself.

Quote:
Japanese auto major Nissan Motor Co will sell its upcoming small car Datsun Go and other models from the Datsun
range on its own in India and not through its country sales and service partner
Hover Automotive.
Quote:
Nissan cars are currently sold in India through dealers appointed by Hover Automotive India Pvt Ltd.

Datsun will work primarily with existing Nissan dealers, the company said,
adding, "This arrangement will in particular allow Datsun to rapidly establish a
top quality, expansive retail network and open the brand to a large segment of
the potential market straight from the initial launch."
I'm still not sure how they can cut off Hover if they are planning to sell Datsun cars through the current dealers, who are still controlled by Hover.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks